• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lost items tales

CamisMors

Camilla
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés - September/2023
Inglés - October/2024
I’m just two weeks away from my next Camino, and of course, I’m in full-on research mode—scrolling through every forum I can find (yes, that includes Reddit). One thing I’ve noticed? The number of posts about lost items. Some of them are pretty hilarious, like the guy who forgot his pants at the albergue. But then there are the more heart-sinking ones, like people losing their documents or Camino credentials.
During my last Camino there was this pilgrim who was absolutely crushed because she lost a rosary that had belonged to her grandmother. But what made it heartwarming was how all the other pilgrims rallied together spreading the word, trying to help her find it. Camino magic at its finest!
As for me, I wasn’t spared from the forgetfulness either. I lost a sock that was drying on my backpack, and one morning, I left my towel behind at an albergue. Luckily, the next albergue had a donativos box, and I scored a new one. Sure, it was ridiculously tiny, but to me it was proof that the Camino indeed provides.
So now I’m curious—did you lose anything on the Camino? Was it something precious or just one of those items you manage to live without? And the big question—did you ever get it back? I’d love to hear your stories!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
did you lose anything on the Camino?
Hasn't everyone at some point?

Was it something precious or just one of those items you manage to live without? And the big question—did you ever get it back? I’d love to hear your stories!
Yes to precious!
One night I splurged and stayed at a very nice CR on the Invierno, and my credential must have slipped between the two single beds that had been pushed together to make a double. I didn't notice until the next day. The story had a wonderful ending, thanks to this forum and the amigas who were behind me:

I left my thyroid medicine in one albergue. Went back for it, only to find it gone. Fortunately, it doesn't require a prescription in Spain. (And it costs less than my USA co-pay.)
Forgot my phone charger another time, but remembered before I left the building. But those five minutes were enough for another guy to disappear with it.
Left an iPad in Viana. Returned to find the albergue locked. Got the iPad back, but it took 15-20 minutes to find someone who knew who to call, and an hour for that person to show up and unlock.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One day I lost my reading glasses. 3 stages later I found them hanging on the keys of a closetdoor. How they got there I don't know. Probably they were in my backpack in a hidden corner and fell out three days later. ( I am sure they were mine because of the colours of the little rope)

We usually lose at least one charger. I have also lost my towel. It was one of those awful camp towels that just smears the water around and never really dries you so I replaced it at an Asian store with a regular hand towel and was really much happier.

Hasn't everyone at some point?

Yes to precious!
One night I splurged and stayed at a very nice CR on the Invierno, and my credential must have slipped between the two single beds that had been pushed together to make a double. I didn't notice until the next day. The story had a wonderful ending, thanks to this forum and the amigas who were behind me:
haha what a ride! That was a fun read, thanks for the link. I would definitely be devastated if I lost my credential too (I'll make sure I put my address on it next time).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I left my thyroid medicine in one albergue. Went back for it, only to find it gone. Fortunately, it doesn't require a prescription in Spain. (And it costs less than my USA co-pay.)
Forgot my phone charger another time, but remembered before I left the building. But those five minutes were enough for another guy to disappear with it.
Left an iPad in Viana. Returned to find the albergue locked. Got the iPad back, but it took 15-20 minutes to find someone who knew who to call, and an hour for that person to show up and unlock.
The charger is a classic. I remember when I was checking in to an Albergue and a guy asked the hospitaleiro If they had a spare charger he could borrow. Then the hospitaleiro rolls his eyes and opens a drawer with a crazy tangle of probably 30 of them, any brand and model you could think of. 😅 It was a funny moment.

I’ve lost just about everything you can possibly lose, bar my actual backpack. So, I don’t take things I can’t afford to lose or don’t want to risk losing.
So long as I don’t lose my soul, I’m sweet!!
Having said that, with a few phone calls back and forth I do occasionally find a lost item, including my credential, which I left at an albergue in Astorga. The keeper kindly posted it to me and I got it back in Santiago! 😂😊

I have left a charger behind and also my fave
cotton flannel infant towel. The next day staying at a private pension I asked the owner if I could purchase one of his because I knew I would have no opportunity to replace mine for several days. He sold me a used thick hand towel for €5; better than nothing.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Not too long ago I did a forum search looking for the tale of a boy's lost teddy bear. I had no luck. Can anyone else find it?
I, too, remember a very touching, heartwarming story about a lost teddybear and then someone found it much later (I think). Maybe someone will be able to find the thread.

I’m just two weeks away from my next Camino, and of course, I’m in full-on research mode—scrolling through every forum I can find (yes, that includes Reddit). One thing I’ve noticed? The number of posts about lost items. Some of them are pretty hilarious, like the guy who forgot his pants at the albergue. But then there are the more heart-sinking ones, like people losing their documents or Camino credentials.
During my last Camino there was this pilgrim who was absolutely crushed because she lost a rosary that had belonged to her grandmother. But what made it heartwarming was how all the other pilgrims rallied together spreading the word, trying to help her find it. Camino magic at its finest!
As for me, I wasn’t spared from the forgetfulness either. I lost a sock that was drying on my backpack, and one morning, I left my towel behind at an albergue. Luckily, the next albergue had a donativos box, and I scored a new one. Sure, it was ridiculously tiny, but to me it was proof that the Camino indeed provides.
So now I’m curious—did you lose anything on the Camino? Was it something precious or just one of those items you manage to live without? And the big question—did you ever get it back? I’d love to hear your stories!
Well, since you asked, the one item I lost proved to be a bit challenging since I lost my mind. However, my wife told me it really no big deal since I never had much of one to begin with so you can see that life often balances out. Chuck

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Lost a pair of folding trail poles that id had for at least 10 years and done thousands of miles with .
Absolutely furious with myself , i hope someones getting good use out of them as they treated me well

I discovered I had lost my US passport when I tried to check in at lodging in Pamplona. Fortunately, my travel plans included three weeks after SdC to travel Portugal and South Spain so I wasn't too worried. The worst thing that would happen was that I was going to have to miss the Pearl Jam concert in Lisbon and instead go to the consulate in Barcelona or Madrid. Darn. So I went on about my merry Way, using a pic of my passport to check in.

Surprise in Belorado, ten days later, when my walking partner accidentally dumped out her daypack and there was my passport and credencial!!!! I was jumping up and down I GET TO SEE PEARL JAM!!!

Walking the Lana I lost a pair of underwear. I had them hanging on the clothes line to dry and the following morning they were gone! Since I was alone in the albergue who knows what happened to them haha.

Up until then I always took two pairs of socks and underwear. Luckily there was a Chinese Bazar in the next town. And from then on I always take three😉

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I left a knee brace around Foncebedaon at my hotel but thankfully had a second with me. Lost a pair of sunglasses half way to Puenta la Reina. And I broke 3 pairs of reading glasses. Nothing that wasn't easily replaced.

had a friend who forgot her pants as well.... For the Love of Santiago I cannot figure that one out, but apparently it does happen.
The thing(s) I've lost the most were the bottles of shampoo. I would buy a reasonably large bottle and use it for the shower and to do laundry. More often than not - I would leave it by the laundry sink probably 2nd or 3rd day after I bought it. I think I probably could've stayed couple of extra nights in Leon Parador for the combined cost of these lost bottles.....
Thankfully I never lost\left behind anything of a serious value (and obviously between the phone, the small power bank, the charger, the Euro Adapter and of course money CCs and documents - there is a lot to look after).
I lost and lamented for a day after the insoles that I took out to air dry. Dont even ask me how I put on the boots and went walking without them (reckon same way people forget their pants)... IIRC SDdC was the next large city and that was the day I passed through it so got me a new pair.
The funny whimsical one was that in Hospital de Orbido (San Miguel Albergue) after @arturo garcia did my laundry I somehow managed to pick up a left only pair of Darn Tough and Injinji socks leaving the right ones back in Albergue! Thankfully Arturo was able to locate the "missing children" and sent them over to my "next" albergue in molinaseca where we happily reunited :D

I left a knee brace around Foncebedaon at my hotel but thankfully had a second with me. Lost a pair of sunglasses half way to Puenta la Reina. And I broke 3 pairs of reading glasses. Nothing that wasn't easily replaced.
Oh yes, I forgot...I've lost 2 pr. sunglasses, and my favorite camino hat I forgot at a restaurant.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
I have walked many Caminos and I have mixed feelings about this topic. I usually try to book private lodgings in recent years when I walk on less traveled Caminos as I prefer to feel confident I...
Hi. We start our Camino early Monday morning. We arrive in SJPDP on Sunday afternoon and just wondering whether shops/supermarkets will be open so that we can stock up on a few supplies for...
I’m just two weeks away from my next Camino, and of course, I’m in full-on research mode—scrolling through every forum I can find (yes, that includes Reddit). One thing I’ve noticed? The number of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.