• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leg warmth - pants & layers for very cold days

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2025 CF
Hello, I'm hoping to walk the Frances starting early April. I think I am prepared for upper body and head warmth, but I'm not sure about the lower body, if/when we experience snow or windy or rainy days. I plan to have an Altus poncho, which I assume will be low enough to help keep my thighs protected from the wind a bit? Is one pair of thin merino wool base layer, under thin hiking pants enough for the rest of my legs? I do tend to run a little cold for a 60 year old 200 pounder.

I'll also test out the layers here in the winter. Thanks for your advice, I am a first timer.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You should be okay for walking. But do test the combination so that it doesn't become too warm and sweaty when walking.

I am a cold sleeper and always carry a thicker fleece tights and warm socks for sleeping and after walking on colder days. Even in summer. I also found out that a knee-length skirt gives extra warmth to my legs on windy days (and is very useful in small shower cubicles).

Last edited:
Is one pair of thin merino wool base layer, under thin hiking pants enough for the rest of my legs?
Probably. If, during testing you find your legs are getting cold, add a pair of thin, lightweight rain pants. It's not so important that they keep you dry, it's their wind resistant quality. They really help trap in the warmth.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I carry rain pants, which help in both cold and rain. But I was worried about getting cold in April. Not owning a pair of lightweight leggings, I found an old pair of tights, about 60 denier and cut off the feet. With a few rows of stitching round the cut to stop them laddering, they lasted my camino. I didn't need them while walking but they came in handy at night a couple of times. I'll take them again, especially as they weigh just 47gm/1.6 oz.

I walk in my heavier weave Nike running tights and boost them with my lightweight rain pant over the top when it's snowing, very windy or raining. It works perfectly for me and keeps the pack weight down.

I walked the CF in March to April 2019 at the age of 66, and at that time anyway I was 205 lbs. A fond memory! 😜 The weather was variable, as one could imagine. Layering is the way to go IMHO. We had sunny days (no base layer, just hiking pants); cool rainy days (no base layer, hiking pants and poncho); snow and sleet on some days (base layer, hiking pants, poncho). I always slept in a base layer as PJs, and for a few colder nights had to sleep in shirt and pants as well. At some albergues getting to the bathrooms required a walk outdoors! On that Camino it never really got hot enough for me to convert my hiking pants into shorts, but on subsequent Caminos I have done so. I hope you can get a few nuggets from my experiences. Wishing you well ... Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’ve walked the Frances a number of times beginning in 2013, during Oct & Nov - walking into the cold and wet. Have always taken two pair of heavier, ankle length, merino wool tights to wear under my nylon hiking pants. Never regretted, and am still wearing them!

I wore leggings with hiking pants overtop on chilly mornings. Usually after an hour or so I'd have warmed up and I would just stop, strip off my hiking pants and continue on.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
I carried 2 pairs of very lightweight long-johns for evening under my trousers if cold. Also ok at night. For walking I too (like @Peterexpatkiwi ) wore my light weight rain trousers which I could put on if cold and take off when I warmed up. When I bought them I made sure that they would go on and off without having to remove my boots! Wide enough bottoms to do so, but some have lower leg zips although that adds weight.

Rather than the thin base layer under the hiking pants, another option can be breathable rain pants,

They provide protection from wind and rain, as well a bit of extra warmth. and you’ll stay dry.

This year I discovered that I can roll up my stretchy pants - sold as sporty pants not hiking pants but are wider at the bottom (to go over my shoes at ankles) and have wide waist which I like. So I start with them down then when it warms up I roll them up to above knee or even mid-thigh. If I run into some ungodly overgrown thorny paths or if cools down a lot, I simply roll them down. Just a quick stop, no shoe removal needed.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here (who misspells things in post titles when not wearing glasses!!) and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth...
I'm plan to complete the Camino Frances in a final 2 week stint from Ponferrada to Santiago de Compostela. I'll need to wash clothes half way, which will probably be near Sarria. Does anyone know...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.