• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Joining Pamplona to Aguilar de Campoo. My experience on a new camino.

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017
Viejo/Olvidado/Invierno Oct/Nov 2024
Attached to this post there is a PDF with the story.
Most of the media I recorded are on movies. Hopefuly I'll edit and post them here soon.

Summary

I bring clarifications in advance to those who want more direct information on this path.

It is not a Camino de Santiago, it is a Camino to Santiago. It has a historical background and is a good option from Pamplona.

Its duration should be around 15 to 17 days.

A constant along the way is the low availability of accommodation at destinations and food on the way. This restricts the options of cities to stay in. Despite this, I got an internship that kept a reasonable distance and good accommodation options.

What you won't find on this route:

• Pilgrims by your side: I had more stray dogs walking with me than pilgrims (8 dogs over various stages vs 3 pilgrims in 2 stages).
  • Options for food during the journeys: they are few and cannot be trusted. Always be prepared not to encounter them.
  • Hostels and pilgrim menus: unfortunately, the routine will be to stay in hotels and eat in restaurants. Food can still be maintained at reasonable costs close to the Camino de Santiago. Accommodation is much more expensive. Be prepared to spend 40 to 90 euros per night on stays that don't always match the amount paid.
What you will find on this route:

• Tranquility and isolation: long stretches walked without other pilgrims and without any other person.
  • Good food: great food options for those who want to try local products.
  • Beautiful landscapes: arguably some of the most beautiful trails and cities I have ever visited are on this path.
  • An incredible amount of fruit on the road. Apples, pears, quince, peaches, figs, walnuts, hazelnuts, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries constantly on the road (off private property).
  • Safety: along the way at no time did I witness or feel in a situation of little security. That was my experience.
Suggestions:

• Always have water and food with you.
  • Learn at least a little Spanish. Some places will not have people who know other languages. In addition, the mere effort of speaking the local language is highly appreciated by the locals.
  • Most locations will accept credit cards, but local currency will eventually be required. Have it in small quantities.

As the forum limits the number of characters to 20.000, my story is on a PDF attached to it.

@peregrina2000 , @caminka , @VNwalking , @WestKirsty , @Pilgrim 122 and so many others, THANK YOU!
You guys made it. I just walked it.

Attachments

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Oh my goodness, the gratitude and amazement! I am hoping to walk this route next year, and you can be sure that I will pore over every single detail, every picture, every track. This is a terrific resource, @Paulo Arantes. Those of us who walk solitary routes know how important it is to have good info on food, water, beds, trail conditions, etc, but this takes it to a new level! It would be great fun to help you plan another remote walk, so don’t be shy! 😍

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm considering doing the Camino de Levante de Caravaca de la Cruz next year, from Orihuela to Caravaca de la Cruz. Has anyone done it recently? It would be helpful to know what the...
Attached to this post there is a PDF with the story. Most of the media I recorded are on movies. Hopefuly I'll edit and post them here soon. Summary I bring clarifications in advance to those...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back