• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there a good backpack with daypack combo idea?

CaminoCate

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2023 -Frances a Burgos
Sept 2024- from Burgos
Need a new backpack after using a very old one last year and had blisters in spite of keeping it light. Looked at other threads for advice, but wonder if there’s there a good backpack with daypack combo?

Because some days I might carry everything and sometimes I might send some luggage ahead for some of those long stretches across the Meseta. Though I also wonder what happens if I use a daypack, but
don’t make it to where my luggage has been sent to?

Excited but trepidacious to be doing Burgos to Astorgas in Sept 2024.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Burgos to Astorga is a wonderful section of the CF. I loved walking across the Meseta!

As I look at all the backpacks that I see on the different Caminos, it seems that Osprey is one of the most popular choices. In fact, I have been using the Osprey 36L Stratos for several years now and have been very pleased with this particular pack.
But, as you well know, the key to a good pack is that it fits you.

We, too, have shipped our packs ahead on a given day and walked with a very light day pack. My first concern, as I’m not aware of any real combos, would be to invest in the best backpack that I could afford and then find a suitable daypack to carry a selection of items that I might need that day. If your daily destination is reasonable, you should make it there and not worry about “what ifs.” Worse case scenario, if you do fall short of your destination, take a taxi to where your bag was shipped. You can always taxi back in the morning to complete your journey. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Backpack/ daypack combo’s are generally designed for people getting on and off transport, not for carrying day after day. There’s always comprises made. Great for travelling the world, not so great for long distance walks.

As @Grousedoctor says, the most important thing is that you buy a good, comfortable rucksack. Brand is immaterial, there’s loads of good quality, reasonably priced options.

As to daypack, for occasional use many of us carry super light (120g) 10-20 litre Decathlon daypacks. Great for going shopping, carrying water, snacks, and rainwear- esp the 20l bags. Other brands have similar options.
Or consider the suggestion from @trecile above.

I would carry a really lightweight duffel bag that you can offload heavier items into that you don't need during the day to send via pack transport.

@J Willhaus has recommended this type of bag available on Amazon.uk. I recently purchased one, and it's sturdy and holds a lot while only weighing 100 gm.
I used an IKEA bag. Lightweight, cheap, but sturdy. When needed, I offloaded whatever I didn’t feel like carrying into it and carried the rest on my backpack

We have used string bags for a day pack. If you get one like this, from Amazon, click here, it is more sturdy than some, yet light weight. I like this kind because the "strings" are a bit more padded and makes for more comfort over a long day.

Plus this type of bag may be ligher in weight than a duffle bag. Plus, of its smaller size, you will be less tempted to carry too much. For me, its a perfect size for water, snacks, rain stuff or extra sweater.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Need a new backpack after using a very old one last year and had blisters in spite of keeping it light. Looked at other threads for advice, but wonder if there’s there a good backpack with daypack combo?

Because some days I might carry everything and sometimes I might send some luggage ahead for some of those long stretches across the Meseta. Though I also wonder what happens if I use a daypack, but

This is a great two pack combo. The ultra is 2.5oz and perfect for days you decide to ship you regular pack.

Instead of thinking about a "day pack" and a "main pack", think about a main backpack and a transport bag. The functions are different.

The main pack is the important one - get the most comfortable one that serves that purpose, and use it for walking, always. Then, in the case where you want to unload some items on a long day, have some sort of bag that closes securely with a zipper or drawstring or buckle. Keep your main bag for walking, even if it is not full.

Drawstring, lightweight, "packable backpacks" are fine for wandering around town in the evening, but they are not good for a long day of walking with water, snacks, rain gear, and spare layer. If you are already taking a super lightweight day pack for those evening strolls, maybe you can use it (not your main bag) for the transport bag. If you need a transport bag that is slightly bigger, get a simple one without shoulder straps, etc.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I dud what C Clearly has suggested for a few days on the Frances. I had my super lightweight daypack transported so it reduced my backpack load by many kilos. This way I didn't need an extra transport bag and could walk most comfortably.

Great thanks for all the messages. I think I’m leaning towards that idea as need to buy a good backpack. That replaces the one I have then and will get another back for transporting excess.
Calmed my mind. This is a great forum.

I dud what C Clearly has suggested for a few days on the Frances. I had my super lightweight daypack transported so it reduced my backpack load by many kilos. This way I didn't need an extra transport bag and could walk most comfortably.
Thanks for your reply. I think that’s what i’ll do.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Instead of thinking about a "day pack" and a "main pack", think about a main backpack and a transport bag. The functions are different.

The main pack is the important one - get the most comfortable one that serves that purpose, and use it for walking, always. Then, in the case where you want to unload some items on a long day, have some sort of bag that closes securely with a zipper or drawstring or buckle. Keep your main bag for walking, even if it is not full.

Drawstring, lightweight, "packable backpacks" are fine for wandering around town in the evening, but they are not good for a long day of walking with water, snacks, rain gear, and spare layer. If you are already taking a super lightweight day pack for those evening strolls, maybe you can use it (not your main bag) for the transport bag. If you need a transport bag that is slightly bigger, get a simple one without shoulder straps, etc.
Thanks so much that makes a lot of sense.

We have used string bags for a day pack. If you get one like this, from Amazon, click here, it is more sturdy than some, yet light weight. I like this kind because the "strings" are a bit more padded and makes for more comfort over a long day.

Plus this type of bag may be ligher in weight than a duffle bag. Plus, of its smaller size, you will be less tempted to carry too much. For me, its a perfect size for water, snacks, rain stuff or extra sweater.
Thanks so much for your reply. I think I made need something a bit larger, but looks a great bag.

I would carry a really lightweight duffel bag that you can offload heavier items into that you don't need during the day to send via pack transport.

@J Willhaus has recommended this type of bag available on Amazon.uk. I recently purchased one, and it's sturdy and holds a lot while only weighing 100 gm.
Thanks i’m leaning to this idea.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Burgos to Astorga is a wonderful section of the CF. I loved walking across the Meseta!

As I look at all the backpacks that I see on the different Caminos, it seems that Osprey is one of the most popular choices. In fact, I have been using the Osprey 36L Stratos for several years now and have been very pleased with this particular pack.
But, as you well know, the key to a good pack is that it fits you.

We, too, have shipped our packs ahead on a given day and walked with a very light day pack. My first concern, as I’m not aware of any real combos, would be to invest in the best backpack that I could afford and then find a suitable daypack to carry a selection of items that I might need that day. If your daily destination is reasonable, you should make it there and not worry about “what ifs.” Worse case scenario, if you do fall short of your destination, take a taxi to where your bag was shipped. You can always taxi back in the morning to complete your journey. Buen Camino!
I really appreciate your wise reply, partic about the whatifs. Reminds me I was so worried last year before my first camino ‘alone’ but of course I wasn’t alone and had an amazing time, even when things didn’t go as planned! Now I’m worrying all over again, so I’ll dial it back. It will all work out, but I’ll get a good bag in preparation! Thanks.

This is my plan - my prior caminos I shipped a duffel bag every day and walked with a high quality daypack, but this upcoming one I’m going to try to carry it all. But it does make for some difficult decisions - at first I thought I’d carry a lightweight duffel in my main pack to send stuff ahead if I wanted/needed to, then realized that was otherwise going to be be deadweight when not in use and not very practical at any other time. So I bought a very lightweight 24 L daypack - while traveling I can do the “big backpack on back, small backpack on chest,” in the evenings and for shorter excursions (I may have up to 3 days at the end of my walk and have a few options for day trips from SdC) I can just use the small pack, and then on the walk ship ahead the smaller pack with the heavy stuff if I find I need/want to.

This is the pack I got:

Updated to add: forgot to mention, when the small pack arrived, the shoulder straps tended to slip so I also purchased a very inexpensive sternum strap that works great.

Last edited:
You don't need a fancy or expensive day pack. I got a super lightweight, inexpensive daypack that folded into itself on Amazon and put it in the rain cover compartment for my backpack. It didn't weigh much or take up much room. When I had my backpack transported, I used the daypack for rain gear, snack/lunch, water and a few other small items. As I took off layers during the day, it easily held them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
C clearly is right about needing to test carrying your loaded day pack for a lengthy walk to see how it feels loaded on your shoulders and back for several hours. I know my backpack (Osprey Pro 28) is much more comfortable to wear for several hours when walking than my lightweight daypack carrying essentials-water, first aid, toilet kit, clothing layer, spare socks, power bank and snack and possibly rain gear.

What about trying the Osprey Exos 48. Before people jump and say “ it’s too big” it gives you a very comfortable fit and the trampoline back give genuine air flow to your back in warm climates. You can disconnect the “brain” and jury rig the “brain” with some additional webbing and buckles to turn it into a shoulder bag or similar. On days you feel strong pack the brains in the main bag (with your passport, credential, your favourite blister magic, whatever you need). When you feeling like a lighter day but want to keep moving carry the “brain” (modified) and ship your pack. Best of both worlds.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
What about trying the Osprey Exos 48. Before people jump and say “ it’s too big” it gives you a very comfortable fit and the trampoline back give genuine air flow to your back in warm climates. You can disconnect the “brain” and jury rig the “brain” with some additional webbing and buckles to turn it into a shoulder bag or similar. On days you feel strong pack the brains in the main bag (with your passport, credential, your favourite blister magic, whatever you need). When you feeling like a lighter day but want to keep moving carry the “brain” (modified) and ship your pack. Best of both worlds.
Thanks for that. I love the idea of a removable brain part, but 48 litres too big for me! I could do with a pack that has equal brains and body. I’m leaning towards a 28L Opsrey hikelite I think. I can carry it full on shorter days and offload stuff I dont need for a longer walk to be shipped on in a flimsy bag.

C clearly is right about needing to test carrying your loaded day pack for a lengthy walk to see how it feels loaded on your shoulders and back for several hours. I know my backpack (Osprey Pro 28) is much more comfortable to wear for several hours when walking than my lightweight daypack carrying essentials-water, first aid, toilet kit, clothing layer, spare socks, power bank and snack and possibly rain gear.
Thanks Jo, that’s really helped and researching the pro has led to me discovering the Osprey 28L hike lite, whichI think I can get in all my gear I need for my 8/9 day trip this time just and offload some stuff to be shipped on for the long walk days praps. Appreciate your reply.

For anyone who is planning to use a lightweight "day pack" while walking, I suggest that they do a test day of 20 km at home, carrying water, snacks, rain gear, a layer, and some other items in it. Compare that to walking with the same items in the main backpack
Yes, agreed. My plan is that if/when I need to ship ahead, I'll ship the lightweight daypack ahead with the heavier/nighttime stuff, and walk with the larger pack on (which in my case is pretty much a daypack anyway, at 32L).

Bring a Sea to Summit packable day pack. Weighs only 60g (there is a slightly lighter version and slightly heavier waterproof one too, but I use this one). Packs down to the side of a couple of small eggs. Holds 20 litres.

Bring a Sea to Summit packable day pack. Weighs only 60g (there is a slightly lighter version and slightly heavier waterproof one too, but I use this one). Packs down to the side of a couple of small eggs. Holds 20 litres.
I did the same on the Francis is 2019. It was comfortable and could easily hold a shell, layer, water and snack. I shipped my pack on the days that I opted for the small daypack.

Just stumbled upon this article:

The main issue with all of these is their size - the main part of the pack starts at 50 litres, most are 65 or 70 litre packs.
As I said above the predominant issue with this type of pack is that there are always compromises made. I know, I used to own one. It was great when I was travelling and just taking occasional hikes, but anything over a few days was marginal.

It makes me laugh that they talk about going on an overnight hike - and then suggest carrying such a big pack!
I carry my tent, cooking gear, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, additional clothing and food for three days in my 32 litre Deuter (the same pack that I use for my camino's) .
20 years ago I used to carry a 65 litre, but that was when my sleeping bag, sleeping mat and stove were at least twice the size that they are now!
And no, my gear isn't ultralight, nor is the majority of it overly expensive.

Just stumbled upon this article:

Thnaks. It’s good to know, but think as I’m only doing nine days or so, I can get away with a smaller pack and back to send some stuff on on longer walk days. Appreciate that though. Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

For the past six years, I have used a 33 L Osprey backpack, which has been fine, but it is always fully packed. I thoroughly understand that nature abhors a vacuum, so any available space in a bag...
Hi all The time is finally nearly here. On Sept 15th I'll be arriving in SJPDP to start the Camino. At the moment, the only thing I have to sleep in is a liner. Now that's it's getting a bit...
Hey everyone. My wife and I are flying next Saturday and starting the Ingles on Tuesday. We think we've got everything we need. I'm posting this here to see if there are any glaring mistakes in...
Hello, We are planning on doing the Porto coastal route in the next week or two. We are flying from the west coast in the US. I've read many threads on phone service. There was one really great...
Good evening fellow pilgrims. I've been searching for an embroidered patch of a Camino symbol to add to my hat. Just looking for either a simply scallop shell or arrow only without any writing ...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.