• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is a pack liner a good idea or nah?

yukonwanderer

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2025
Hi everyone! I'm walking the Camino Frances (for the first time) from SJPP starting September 24, arriving in SdC early November. I'm trying to decide if I need to bring my pack liner. My rain gear will be jacket, pants, pack cover. In your experience, were you glad to have a pack liner to keep critical items dry?

I recognize that this is a small amount of weight, but everything adds up and I'm currently slashing things big and small to get my pack weight down. I'm interested to hear if you brought it and didn't need it, or brought it and were really glad that you did, etc. I know the weather will get wetter the closer we get to SdC, so I'm happy to hear your advice and experiences. Thanks for your help!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't use one because I have a "poncho" with full zip and long sleeves that completely covers my pack and I've never had an issue with anything inside getting wet. But with a jacket and rain cover there is opportunity for your pack to get wet inside so I think that a pack liner is a good idea.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
One good thing about a good pack liner (trash bag) is that it can be used to protect your pack from bedbugs. Get one large and strong enough to hold you things inside during the day and when you arrive take everything out, place it in your pack and then put your pack inside it the bag and close it up. It won't prevent you from bedbugs in your sleeping bag or bed clothes, but you can keep those in a separate large ziplock bag just in case so you don't contaminate the whole bag the next morning.

As for rain, I use an Altus Poncho so no need for a pack cover.

As @J Willhaus says - "...a good pack liner (trash bag)..."

I agree! I fell into a river and went under... but that afternoon when I found a good hotel, and opened my pack, everything was still in the white plastic garbage bag, completely dry! Why spend more than is necessary... and no one else sees it! ;-)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I use a pretty water resistant backpack and even in a week of continuos rain i never had water in it. But i use drybags for (each) my clothing and sleeping bag. Then a couple of ziplog bags for things like electronincs, first aid, wash kit etc. I feel that makes organizing stuff a lot easier than with using one big liner. I also like the idea of having a second line of defens, in case water somehow manages to get inside one day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree that if you use a longish poncho/raincoat you don't need a dry bag to keep things dry.
But if you are taking a waterproof jacket and pack cover you really do, as we know that pack covers just don't hold up over multiple hours of rain. I take/use a poncho-raincoat in all weathers, but take a 30L dry silpoly dry bag as well. It's very light and useful for separating clothes and sleep bag from other stuff. A couple of people above have mentioned trash/garbage bags. Yes, these will do the job and you can also get hold of one easily in Spain, if you suddenly decide you need one. However... these are usually noisy and rustly and you can really generate some anger from other pilgrims if you start earlier than them in the albergue dormitory and start packing/repacking before they are ready to face the day... even more so if at the same time you are wearing your headtorch :D

However... these are usually noisy and rustly and you can really generate some anger from other pilgrims if you start earlier than them in the albergue dormitory and start packing/repacking before they are ready to face the day... even more so if at the same time you are wearing your headtorch
True, but out of courtesy to your fellow pilgrims you shouldn't be doing that in the dormitory anyway! It takes minimal effort to take your backpack and things out to the common area or even the entrance. Plus, then you have the advantage of more light

I brought a bag liner and would do it again, even with the poncho and pack cover. If you've spent several hours or all day in the rain, it is important to have dry clothes to change into. If I didn't have the bag liner I would also consider various sized dry bags as others have mentioned. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I use a white trash compactor bag. They are smaller than any black trash bag and being white you can see what is inside easier. I do not bother with dry bags as I have no need of them since I use two mesh small size laundry bags inside, which are so much easier to pack and all the air escapes.

Last edited:
In 50 +/- years wearing a pack, I’ve never used a liner. I don’t care for ponchos and instead use a rain jacket /pants/pack cover. You may want to consider using waterproof stuff sacks which will both organize your pack and keep everything dry. I use packing cubes to organize my pack and have one 5L waterproof stuff sack for my essential items that need to definitely stay dry. It’s also acted as a pillow when stuffed with clean clothes, I don’t like “unitaskers”.

Lots of good ideas and options to consider. Good luck.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Another yes for the pack liner - I like dry gear. Backpacked for years with a trash compactor bag as a liner. With my smaller Camino pack, I carry an Osprey pack liner - basically just a big dry bag. Always seem to have at least a few downpour days on my Camino’s - a definite yes for me.

Lots of different techniques here. For me, I don’t like ponchos (lots of wet days as a Marine). I hike with a jacket, and with a pack rain cover. I’ve never had an issue in high winds with the pack cover - putting it on properly is key. A few tips for consideration:

-spray the outside of your pack with permethrin. There’s conflicting evidence whether it’ll stop bed bugs, but I’ve always done it and hadn’t had an issue (but I also inspect the bed each night for signs of them).
-spray the pack cover with a new DWR - water that pools is more likely to soak through.
-use a few heavy duty 1 gallon freezer ziplock bags for clothes and electronics. It keeps your gear organized and what needs an extra layer of protection gets it (really you need dry socks, underwear and base layer).

And just remember, if things get crazy wet or icy (I’ve had both on the Camino) refuge is only ever about 15 miles away - enjoy the challenge and walk boldly on - ultreia!

Buen Camino!

I wouldn’t hike without a liner. Mine, made by Osprey, keeps everything dry no matter what and even doubles as a bag to put the pack in when putting it in hold luggage on an airplane.

Compare the weight of a pack liner / pack / cover / rain jacket / rain pants against using a poncho and pack. In the late Season. Your jacket would best be down and / or a heavy fleece sweater.

Another possibility would be to start with a heavy fleece sweater and if needed, purchase a jacket that can be used together with the sweater to achieve the warmth / protection to make it comfortable. Many layers make the greatest versatility.

It is always best to attempt to make one thing do five things, if possible. But even if it can do two things, you are still ahead.

I would bring the liner and leave the cover, as I have seen too many rain covers streaming behind like a flag or disappearing into the distance during high winds and heavy rain.
And the rain cover will not stop rain from eventually getting into the pack in heavy rain, and it is a pain to remove/install to access the pack, and it’s heavier than a liner, and if you size it right the pack can be placed inside it for certain albergues requiring your pack to be bagged, and it does not rain so much that you pack will be weighted by absorbed water most days

My pack itself has waterproof fabric, ultrasonically-welded seams and waterproof zippers, with overlapping wherever needed to prevent water entry from the ends of the zipper run. I'll see whether it lives up to the hype, but it's highly-rated by people who've already used it. Fingers crossed!

Hi everyone! I'm walking the Camino Frances (for the first time) from SJPP starting September 24, arriving in SdC early November. I'm trying to decide if I need to bring my pack liner. My rain gear will be jacket, pants, pack cover. In your experience, were you glad to have a pack liner to keep critical items dry?

I recognize that this is a small amount of weight, but everything adds up and I'm currently slashing things big and small to get my pack weight down. I'm interested to hear if you brought it and didn't need it, or brought it and were really glad that you did, etc. I know the weather will get wetter the closer we get to SdC, so I'm happy to hear your advice and experiences. Thanks for your help!
We have covers for our ruck sacks but have packed all our clothes into ziploc bags… on a day by day basis so we don’t have to keep rummaging through, even though the rucksack opens up from the back, this has made it all really easy and really dry.

Short answer. YES!

Expansion: Beyond protecting from water, a WHITE bag is also good for putting your rucksack INTO when you stop for the night.

This can help prevent bedbugs from hopping a ride down the senda/trail on your rucksack. The white color should allow enough contrast to see any of the little buggers.

The easiest thing is to use a white bin bag - trash bag. Some folks use a white trash compactor bag, as these are thicker and less prone to punctures from the gear you put in your rucksack. Either weighs almost nothing. They are worth the weight.

So, using a white liner during the day helps keep your gear dry. Using that same liner to store your rucksack in at night is one way to combat bed bugs.

Just be kind to others early in the morning. “Bag rustlers” are despised when others are trying to sleep.

One way to avoid or mitigate this is to bring TWO white liners. One remains in your rucksack. The second one - weighing nil - is used to store your rucksack in while sleeping - the bed bug shield. When leaving, carry the entire bagged rucksack out of the sleeping area, BEFORE you start rustling the plastic to get into the bag. Your fellow (still sleeping) pilgrims will appreciate this kindness.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The rain in Spain falls mainly -- in Galicia. And especially in late October and early November. Can be windy then also. The trouble with the rain pack cover is in the front -- water pours down the front, between your pack and your back, and can find entry at the top of your pack straps. A pack cover and a liner is a good idea. But if it is not too windy, an umbrella keeps your upper body and your pack fairly dry. Buen Camino

After eleven or so Caminos, I have never considered this subject. I have a pack cover and it works up to point. I wear a poncho and use it to cover both me and my pack in light downpours until the whole ensemble turns into a sauna. As my mother used to say, "I hope you have enough sense to come inside when it is raining." In other words, why are you walking in the rain when any sane person would seek shelter?

After walking in several downpours with my pack cover and a rain coat, I tend to agree with @trecile. Also, as @naplesdon suggests walking in the rain may not be for everyone. However, it is sometimes unavoidable. My first years on the Camino in summer it rained only once for about 15 minutes. By the time I had my rain jacket and pack cover on, it quit. Later, though, we began walking more in winter. An Altus poncho worked better as I could don and duff it easily. It could hang on my pack, and I could tie the sleeves under my pack straps for when it started and stopped and started again as it did often in winter, especially in Galicia. Everyone needs to explore what works best for them. But having a poncho to put on over my winter wear adds a layer of warmth as well as protection for me and my pack.

I walked the Frances during the same time frame last fall and it rained every day of the last three weeks. I used both a pack liner and a pack cover — just make sure the cover that comes with your pack is large enough to cover a full backpack, and get a larger size if there’s a chance you’ll want to hang gear off the bag. In a pinch - you can always pin the cover on the sides to hold it fast. I also wore rain gear, which I would do again. It was wet enough that after one full day of rain I broke down and bought an 8 euro poncho to wear over the rain gear. But it was all good — and my stuff stayed dry inside the backpack, even without the poncho. Regardless of weather - I wouldn’t hike without a liner — I like how it keeps things neat and (because mine is light yellow) easy to find in the bag. But that’s me. Good luck and buen camino!

you can better op for a ponco and drybags or zipbags in your backpack. Moist will enter your backpack via the armstraps. A test ponco vs raincover wasin favourof the poncho.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Falling into the "belt and suspenders" group, we use a pack cover if it's really pouring, but everyday use very lightweight bags inside our backpacks. You can use durable plastic zipper style bags, but we really like these Osprey bags: https://www.osprey.com/featured/shop-by-collections/ultralight-packing

They are really good for keeping things organized, yet "squish-able" so you can pack efficiently. A bonus is they keep things dry if the pack gets wet. I've got one for my sleeping bag, toiletries, clean clothes, dirty clothes, incidentals, food, etc. We keep one to take with us shopping so we don't need a grocery bag. At the end of a days walk it really helps speed things up and avoids the sprawl of gear on the bed thing. We organize by what's needed when.

I think the UK equivalent to trash compactor bag is the rubble sack, a heavy duty plastic bag used by builders for .... rubble, eg, bricks, plaster, tiles etc. Very cheap from B&Q and similar outlets. I've used one inside a rucksack in the north of Scotland in torrential rain and everything stayed dry. There are few pleasures to compare (at my age, anyway) with removing a wet shirt, socks etc and replacing with dry.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So when walking on a foggy road on like a Saturday or Sunday morning, maybe coming across some dead cows that were obviously recently hit by a car, having a nice bright pack COVER is at least partially reassuring.

I personally always also carry a LINER. I mean they weigh close to nothing. Trash bag, compactor bag, turkey bag, nylofume bag, whatever I have lying around.

I typically do not use a pack liner. I use different colored ultralight silnylon 'stuff sacks' in which I place items appropriate for a specific 'room' in my house (backpack).
Bedroom ... sleeping gear. . on camino that is my sleeping quilt and not much else.
Kitchen ... has anything to do with food prep and cooking, or utensils or fuel. . . on camino the Kitchen carries a small water filter, a spare folding water, a small sewing kit, etc. I do carry a small Opinel folding knife in my pocket.
Bathroom ... Wet wipes, lightweight baggies for waste and used toilet tissues, a small trowel. My small container of all purpose bio-degradable soap, a disposable razor, toothbrush, medications, etc. My teensy first aid and blister care supplies are in a separate sack that resides inside the Bathroom stuff sack.
Closet... Clothing, and a small sack to contain dirty stuff until washing.
Home Theater... In that stuff sack I keep a large amount of "I'm Just Kidding; I leave the OLED TV at home". I do not have space to carry BOTH a TV and a rice cooker. (kidding again, Rob)

But I do have a 'Junk Drawer' stuff sack which contains any cords, adapters, batteries, headlamp, etc.

Any rain water that soaks the backpack materials, (fabrics, straps, padding belts, etc.) adds weight to carry until it dries out. So I try to keep the backpack from getting wet. This is simple since I use a poncho, But using a well fitting backpack cover is a lightweight method of keeping most of the backpack protected during rains.

I think the UK equivalent to trash compactor bag is the rubble sack, a heavy duty plastic bag used by builders for .... rubble, eg, bricks, plaster, tiles etc. Very cheap from B&Q and similar outlets. I've used one inside a rucksack in the north of Scotland in torrential rain and everything stayed dry. There are few pleasures to compare (at my age, anyway) with removing a wet shirt, socks etc and replacing with dry.
Special type of rain in the North of Scotland 😉, even wetter rain than Ireland...

Not making any river crossing. I carried a trash bag.

I just used an unscented trash can liner. Weighs almost nothing. I keep clothjng and anything else I want to keep dry in there. Works great! Cheap too.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
This spring, my Frances was more rain days than dry days. My system worked great.
My wind/rain gear is Marmot, so it would be same either way. Yes, I'm a gram chaser....

For me, it's all about weight.
My nyaflume bag and 8 ziplock bags provide double protection to all my gear. Nyaflume liner bag = 28g, 4-qts 4x7=38g, 2-1gal 2x12=24g, 2-2gal 2x19= 38g.
Total of 118 g for double protection.
Pack gains 114g soaking wet
Weight cost of full system 232 grams wet.

Pack cover = 125 dry, 200 wet
Poncho =357 dry, 445 wet
Total =462 dry, 645 wet
Total saving of 413 grams or 14.5 oz. ,
Thats almost almost a pound!!

Manage the grams/ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves ;-)
BTW, a trash compactor bag is 50g, almost double the nylafume bag weight.

I order from GGG (Garage Grown Gear)
20"x36"
Probably other sources also.

I think the UK equivalent to trash compactor bag is the rubble sack, a heavy duty plastic bag used by builders for .... rubble, eg, bricks, plaster, tiles etc.
In the US what you are describing are humongous, very weighty, thick black plastic construction bags, often used at building sites to collect the debris you mention. They are definitely overkill for the Camino.
I have used the same heavy duty white trash compactor bag on at least four Caminos and they've never had a rip or hole. I also like that I can see things inside as I am not looking into a dark black hole.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As @J Willhaus says - "...a good pack liner (trash bag)..."

I agree! I fell into a river and went under... but that afternoon when I found a good hotel, and opened my pack, everything was still in the white plastic garbage bag, completely dry! Why spend more than is necessary... and no one else sees it! ;-)
Didn’t I see that in “the” movie?

Hi. I'm also starting on Sept 24. See you on the trail.

In the US what you are describing are humongous, very weighty, thick black plastic construction bags, often used at building sites to collect the debris you mention. They are definitely overkill for the Camino.
A matter of opinion, surely?

The problem is that we are comparing apples and pears. Trash compactors are simply not a thing in the UK (we obviously prefer our rubbish uncompacted) so I have never seen a trash compactor bag and they're not commonly available here.

And I dare say you've never seen a UK rubble sack! I use one which fits snugly in a 65ltr rucksack.

My comment was based partly on an old entry in Reddit, available here if you're interested.

Anyway, à chacun son goût.

@Glenshiro, I hear you, but my post only referred to "in the US". The white trash compactor bags are thick and are not the kitchen bags with red drawstrings. They were originally used for high end kitchens that had a built in trash receptacle in the lower cabinetry, which had the ability to literally crush the contents, thus the thickness needed. I love that they are white for my other reason stated.
Many words can mean completely different things between countries. In the UK the term fanny pack has a completely different meaning than what it means in the US.😅

Falling into the "belt and suspenders" group, we use a pack cover if it's really pouring, but everyday use very lightweight bags inside our backpacks. You can use durable plastic zipper style bags, but we really like these Osprey bags: https://www.osprey.com/featured/shop-by-collections/ultralight-packing

They are really good for keeping things organized, yet "squish-able" so you can pack efficiently. A bonus is they keep things dry if the pack gets wet. I've got one for my sleeping bag, toiletries, clean clothes, dirty clothes, incidentals, food, etc. We keep one to take with us shopping so we don't need a grocery bag. At the end of a days walk it really helps speed things up and avoids the sprawl of gear on the bed thing. We organize by what's needed when.
A great point buried in this…If your pack list doesn’t already have some sort of small let backpack or satchel, I’d recommend bringing a small, reusable grocery bag…a “bolsa”. You’ll likely go to the mercado for snacks, water, whatever nightly and instead of either buying a bag or carrying it in your arms, you’ll have a convenient reusable bag.

I use 2 pack liners. One is for my sleeping bag and sleeping clothing. The 2nd is for everything else. In addition, a big plastic trash bag is used to set my pack inside when I set it on the floor at night.
The additional benefit of pack liners is they keep my pack contents dry when it rains.
My rain gear is a separate matter because it varies according to the season and expected temperatures. No external pack cover will keep my pack contents dry so I don’t rely on that.
Trash compacter bags make good pack liners but I like the nyoflume bags from garage grown gear. At $2.40 each, they are reasonably priced for something that’s practically indestructible.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Because we aren’t carrying that much, instead of one large one I had four smaller ones - sleeping bag, clean dry clothes , electronics, first aid etc. One large one could have done the same job. Passport was in a plastic bag in my bum bag.

However... these are usually noisy and rustly and you can really generate some anger from other pilgrims ...
Please, not all trash bags are created equal. The ones I use are not 'noisy and rustly'. They are soft, well constructed, and quiet whan handled roughly. ;-)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I hear you about slashing things big and small. I so far cannot find room in my pack for my rain jacket and so have no rain gear planned yet. I walked in summer and it only rained once, on the one day I sent my pack ahead, with my rain jacket inside!

I ended up in a small tea shop and I bought a plastic trash bag from the proprietress. I'm planning to ditch the cover that comes with my backpack and to instead line my bag with a big black trash bag, and bring one extra. It's easy to give away or ditch it on the trail, but nice to have if you need it.

My two cents anyway. 🤗

However... these are usually noisy and rustly and you can really generate some anger from other pilgrims if you start earlier than them in the albergue dormitory and start packing/repacking before they are ready to face the day... even more so if at the same time you are wearing your headtorch :D
Good pilgrims get themselves organised before they go to sleep so there is no need for any noise or infuriating lights early in the morning.

I recognize that this is a small amount of weight, but everything adds up and I'm currently slashing things big and small to get my pack weight down. I'm interested to hear if you brought it and didn't need it, or brought it and were really glad that you did, etc. I know the weather will get wetter the closer we get to SdC, so I'm happy to hear your advice and experiences. Thanks for your help!i
I just separated my cloths into 3 batches and put them in ultralight dry sacks. it rained pretty hard a couple days and just with my pack liner on everything stayed dry.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I carry a trash bin liner and put all my clothes in such in it when it appears as though I may walk in the rain. It works well and weighs nothing, keeps my stuff dry and when I get home I line the trash bin with it.
No need to buy a special waterproof bag for the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.