• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I made an app to share Camino tips in real-time, Waze-style

manuc33

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2024
Hey everyone,

You know that morning when you realise you should have been to the toilets in the albergue, and now you’re in the middle of a city and Google says there’s no toilets?

Well I hope you don’t know, but that was me this summer 🙃

When I walked the Camino for the first time this year, I was juggling between 4 apps. Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino were really great for navigation and infos, but I was missing some stuff, like where to find a working water fountain, a clean toilet, or even a sneaky spot to take a quick shower for when we were sleeping out.

So I was also using FreeTaps and Flush, but I still had the same problem: I could never be sure the information was up-to-date.

That’s how I got this idea: what if we had an app where pilgrims could share tips in real time?

So, I’ve been working on this new app, here’s what you can do with it so far:
  • View your route to stay on track (in the rare times when you can’t see the arrows)
  • Find water and toilets along the way, so you don’t stress about filling 10L of water when you get out of a city
  • Downvote any water source or toilet that isn’t working. When something receives too many downvotes, it will be removed from the map so that the app has the most accurate and reliable information
  • Add new toilets and water points that aren’t on the map yet.
  • Get informations on albergues (like opening dates, phone number, number of beds…)

The idea to give pilgrims real-time updates on what’s happening along the Camino, using the power of the community :)

This is just a early version of the app.
In the future, I’m hoping to add features like:
  • Knowing when an albergue is booked out.
  • Checking the amenities available at each albergue.
  • Adding point of interests along the route that most people miss (a little church, a museum, a nice view point…)
  • And many many other ideas!

I would like to invite you to try it out and le me know what you think.

The app is currently in beta, and it’s free to use (it will stay that way). You can explore the map and all the info without creating an account. You only need an account if you want to contribute (like adding new spots or downvoting outdated ones).

This is a very early version, and I’m still building out features, so I’d love to hear your feedback. What’s most important to you? What would you like to see added?

You can try the app here, no download required: https://www.camino.cool/

Feel free to reach out with any questions or suggestions. I’m all ears :)

Cheers and Buen Camino!
Manuel

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am sure that what you are doing is a labor of love and that many will like it. There is another way to do this. Just try to be a little prepared each day and just walk. My first two caminos I walked a total of 2,400 kilometers. The first time with the Brierley book and the second time from Le Puy with a basically useless 30 page Michelin guide book and that is it. (Can't speak a word of French either). Did not even have a flip phone on either camino. In France, I had to point on the map each night to the town I wanted to go to the following evening. I had a hand written list to show the gite owners that a nice French lady gave me my first day, so they could make a reservation for me for a bed and board. They also wrote the address of the gite so I could show it to someone when I got to that town. I met less than 5 people who could speak any English at all for 750K. I made it and it was great.
Now I walk caminos where I may see just a few pilgrims for the entire camino. You learn self reliance and the confidence that comes from that is something you can carry with you forever.
For me there were great lessons that I learned from these experiences. I take them with me wherever I go. Around the block or around the world.
But what I think you are doing is cool and good luck with it. For me the camino gives us all what we need (I know it is a well worn expression). But the lessons and gifts we need are really, really valuable. Good luck

Hey everyone,

You know that morning when you realise you should have been to the toilets in the albergue, and now you’re in the middle of a city and Google says there’s no toilets?

When I walked the Camino for the first time this year, I was juggling between 4 apps. Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino were really great for navigation and infos, but I was missing some stuff, like where to find a working water fountain, a clean toilet, or even a sneaky spot to take a quick shower for when we were sleeping out.

So I was also using FreeTaps and Flush, but I still had the same problem: I could never be sure the information was up-to-date.

That’s how I got this idea: what if we had an app where pilgrims could share tips in real time?

• View your route to stay on track (in the rare times when you can’t see the arrows)
  • Find water and toilets along the way, so you don’t stress about filling 10L of water when you get out of a city
  • Downvote any water source or toilet that isn’t working. When something receives too many downvotes, it will be removed from the map so that the app has the most accurate and reliable information
  • Get informations on albergues (like opening dates, phone number, number of beds…)

The idea to give pilgrims real-time updates on what’s happening along the Camino, using the power of the community :)

• Adding point of interests along the route that most people miss (a little church, a museum, a nice view point…)

The app is currently in beta, and it’s free to use (it will stay that way). You can explore the map and all the info without creating an account. You only need an account if you want to contribute (like adding new spots or downvoting outdated ones).

This is a very early version, and I’m still building out features, so I’d love to hear your feedback. What’s most important to you? What would you like to see added?

You can try the app here, no download required: https://www.camino-facil.eu/map

Cheers and Buen Camino!
Manuel
It’s so curious how the Camino brings ideas to us—videos to post, books to write, comments to declare/opine/suggest, apps to create. As diverse as the pilgrim pool is and will continue to be—there is something for everyone and an at least equal number of questions to answer. Thank you for your efforts to fill this need for the pilgrims that will use and enjoy it! Sounds like you have kept the Camino spirit!
Buen continued Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey everyone,

Cheers and Buen Camino!
Manuel
Very cool!!!! I poked around a bit and it’s great!!! As someone who drinks a LOT of water, I really appreciate this!!!

Hey everyone,

Cheers and Buen Camino!
Manuel
Olá! I’ll be walking solo this fall from Lisbon to Santiago, and I’m really excited about the journey. I love how your app helps build a sense of camaraderie among peregrinos by encouraging us to share our experiences. I noticed that in the 'Find a Route' section, there aren't any maps for the Portuguese routes. Am I missing them, or will they be added soon? Thanks so much for your help! :)

I am sure that what you are doing is a labor of love and that many will like it. There is another way to do this. Just try to be a little prepared each day and just walk. My first two caminos I walked a total of 2,400 kilometers. The first time with the Brierley book and the second time from Le Puy with a basically useless 30 page Michelin guide book and that is it. (Can't speak a word of French either). Did not even have a flip phone on either camino. In France, I had to point on the map each night to the town I wanted to go to the following evening. I had a hand written list to show the gite owners that a nice French lady gave me my first day, so they could make a reservation for me for a bed and board. They also wrote the address of the gite so I could show it to someone when I got to that town. I met less than 5 people who could speak any English at all for 750K. I made it and it was great.
Now I walk caminos where I may see just a few pilgrims for the entire camino. You learn self reliance and the confidence that comes from that is something you can carry with you forever.
For me there were great lessons that I learned from these experiences. I take them with me wherever I go. Around the block or around the world.
But what I think you are doing is cool and good luck with it. For me the camino gives us all what we need (I know it is a well worn expression). But the lessons and gifts we need are really, really valuable. Good luck
Hey, thanks for sharing your experience of the Camino!
I agree with you, I think the Camino brings its share of surprises (good or bad) and lessons, and it's important to stay open to these.

And actually I was really surprised how things turned out very well each day even if we didn't plan much!

I really think the unplanned events an important part of the experience, so I want to be careful that the app doesn't ruin that.

I believe it's a balance to be found between comfort and adventure.

It’s so curious how the Camino brings ideas to us—videos to post, books to write, comments to declare/opine/suggest, apps to create. As diverse as the pilgrim pool is and will continue to be—there is something for everyone and an at least equal number of questions to answer. Thank you for your efforts to fill this need for the pilgrims that will use and enjoy it! Sounds like you have kept the Camino spirit!
Buen continued Camino!

Walking all day sure does bring up ideas! Everyone have different ways of expressing them, for me it's programming :)
Thank you for your nice words!

Very cool!!!! I poked around a bit and it’s great!!! As someone who drinks a LOT of water, I really appreciate this!!!

I'm glad to hear you find it useful!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you’re in the middle of a city in Spain and cannot find a public lavatory you are probably correct. There are very few.

You go to a cafeteria or bar, buy a drink or leave a euro and use their facilities.

How will this data be moderated when it exists?

I see great benefit in this App. Sure you can learn along the Way, but... I walked 2 CF's, del Norte and Ingles in the last 15 months, and 8 Caminos before that. I learned things change constantly and unexpectedly. On Ingles I walked 4 hours one Sunday morning with all fountains turned off or with signs saying Nonpotable; no stores or cafes open. Had I known prior to leaving my albergue, I would have filled my 3rd (spare) water bottle. Can I go all day without eating and drinking, yes, because I am physically prepared . Do I want to? NO! I find more and more fountains on CF shut down or posted not to drink each year. A significant portion of Galicia's water supply got contaminated last year. This year Wise Pilgrim had woefully inaccurate information regarding albergues that were closed or open. Accurate/up to date info would be much appreciated, especially for a newbie.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey everyone,

Cheers and Buen Camino!
Manuel
Looks great! Hopefully it's available for use when we start our first Camino Frances in April 2025! Many thanks!

If you’re in the middle of a city in Spain and cannot find a public lavatory you are probably correct. There are very few.

You go to a cafeteria or bar, buy a drink or leave a euro and use their facilities.

How will this data be moderated when it exists?

The initial data is populated from Open Street Map data.
Hopefully most of it is accurate and up to date, but things can change fast. That's why the idea is that the data will be then constantly updated by other pilgrims.
You see a water fountain that is not working, you can simply downvote it on the app to let other pilgrims know.

Behind the scene, I'm keeping a "trust" score for each point on the map (water fountain, toilets, etc...), if that score gets too low, I simply hide the point from the map.
Also, you can only downvote or upvote a point on the map if you are close to it.

I don't know if that's the best system, I'll probably modify it in the future, but the idea is that people can see how trustworthy is the data they see on the map and make a conscious decision (like: should I fill up my extra bottle of water before we start this long walk out of the city).

Looks great! Hopefully it's available for use when we start our first Camino Frances in April 2025! Many thanks!

Thanks! Actually the app is already available, feel free to try it to see if it has all the features you might need!
What’s really missing right now are people on the Camino using it, so they can contribute to the data displayed on the map.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I noticed that the name of your app and site is Camino Facil. Are you aware of the luggage transport company with the same name?

Oh no, I didn't know!

I guess I'll have to change the name then, thanks for pointing this out.

Well, if anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears 😀

Well, maybe just simply call I ‘Camino-infoapp’ . (since you put so much more info in it besides just the route and some accommodation tips.)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sadly, this would be confusing with a tour company but I immediately thought of “Camino WayZ”

How about “Real Time Camino?”

1. For clarity, call it a “web app” instead of an app. Makes it more obvious that no download or “app store” is needed. (On the other hand, it means it won’t be usable where internet is unavailable.)

2. Map.me is an app that allows downloading ifo from openstreetmap for offline use. I believe they are open source. If you could add such a feature, the user might not be able to provide feedback, but he/she will be able to see what was downloaded when no cell or wifi.

3. Keep the interface simple. It already is, but keep it that way. I just verified that it works on an iPhone. I’ve seen too many other web apps with all kinds of “clever” features that won’t work on a smart phone (or worse yet on anything but Internet Explorer!).

4. Allow a user to tag an albergue in a way that allows you to give it a different more prominent icon than OSM typically gives. This will help in places like Logroño where some albergues are at a distance from the path pilgrims are walking.

5. On hover, have a small popup with the latest user-supplied info, the age of that info, and a link to the full story.

6. If more than one pilgrim enters data on something off one of your marked paths, consider adding their route. For example, there is an alternate route through Luquin and an albergue there.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I believe it's a balance to be found between comfort and adventure.
Yay! Perfect!! I’m happy to note water and toilet stops along the way! Super helpful.

I’m wondering where you’ve pulled the routes from, as I’m curious if they are up to date? I’m looking at the route just outside Lisbon and it seems as though the app isn’t showing the updated route that follows the river north (instead of going west into and past Sacavem).

Thanks again for your work building this — and looking forward to using it next year.

Well, maybe just simply call I ‘Camino-infoapp’ . (since you put so much more info in it besides just the route and some accommodation tips.)
Sadly, this would be confusing with a tour company but I immediately thought of “Camino WayZ”

How about “Real Time Camino?”

In the end, I've decided to go for "Camino Cool". I wanted to keep something quite international, and I think it still conveys the main idea that is to make the Camino easier.
Thanks for your suggestions anyway!

Such a great idea, especially keeping the info really up-to-date. I am tired of advice based on "when I walked in 2017" LOL

That's the frustration I had as well, especially since a lot of municipal Albergues closed after covid. Now of course the main challenge will be to bring as many people as possible to contribute on the app so that the info is fresh. I'm going to work on that until the next high season of Camino :)

I’m wondering where you’ve pulled the routes from, as I’m curious if they are up to date? I’m looking at the route just outside Lisbon and it seems as though the app isn’t showing the updated route that follows the river north (instead of going west into and past Sacavem).

Thanks again for your work building this — and looking forward to using it next year.

I've found the routes on https://www.santiago.nl/ website. Most routes were updated in 2024, but it's possible that there are some route changes that are not yet reflected on the map.
I've also checked for the Camino del Norte, and I noticed that some alternatives were not listed either.

Maybe in the future people could add their own GPX files, but I'm a bit cautious with this approach. That's how Wikiloc works for example, but that lead me sometimes to very "funny" hikes because people uploaded a faulty GPX.

I'm not sure if there is a real solution to this, I will of course try to keep the routes updated as much as possible.

Maybe we'll never have 100% of accuracy on all routes, but maybe that's how we keep a touch of adventure on the app 😁

1. For clarity, call it a “web app” instead of an app. Makes it more obvious that no download or “app store” is needed. (On the other hand, it means it won’t be usable where internet is unavailable.)
2. Map.me is an app that allows downloading ifo from openstreetmap for offline use. I believe they are open source. If you could add such a feature, the user might not be able to provide feedback, but he/she will be able to see what was downloaded when no cell or wifi.

I was calling it an app because I was not sure everyone would understand if I said web app, but maybe you're right!
I actually plan to make it a PWA, so it would be kind of an app, and be usable offline.
That's going to require a bit of thinking, in theory I can store quite a lot of data locally, but I'll probably have to decide which features stay available offline.

It's on the roadmap, but right now my priority would be to have a usable enough app, with clean data.

3. Keep the interface simple. It already is, but keep it that way. I just verified that it works on an iPhone. I’ve seen too many other web apps with all kinds of “clever” features that won’t work on a smart phone (or worse yet on anything but Internet Explorer!).

4. Allow a user to tag an albergue in a way that allows you to give it a different more prominent icon than OSM typically gives. This will help in places like Logroño where some albergues are at a distance from the path pilgrims are walking.

5. On hover, have a small popup with the latest user-supplied info, the age of that info, and a link to the full story.

6. If more than one pilgrim enters data on something off one of your marked paths, consider adding their route. For example, there is an alternate route through Luquin and an albergue there.

Thanks for your suggestions! They are actually pretty good ideas, I've noted them in my backlogs :)

The simplicity of the interface is a top priority for me. I have seen many great apps that became a "gaz factory" (as we say in french) as they grew bigger.

---

On a side note, if anyone tries to register with Google, it is not going to work right now.
I had to re-submit the app for verification after changing the domain name to camino.cool, and the process can take up to 5 days.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The initial data is populated from Open Street Map data.
Hopefully most of it is accurate and up to date, but things can change fast. That's why the idea is that the data will be then constantly updated by other pilgrims.
You see a water fountain that is not working, you can simply downvote it on the app to let other pilgrims know.

Behind the scene, I'm keeping a "trust" score for each point on the map (water fountain, toilets, etc...), if that score gets too low, I simply hide the point from the map.
Also, you can only downvote or upvote a point on the map if you are close to it.

I don't know if that's the best system, I'll probably modify it in the future, but the idea is that people can see how trustworthy is the data they see on the map and make a conscious decision (like: should I fill up my extra bottle of water before we start this long walk out of the city).

Thanks! Actually the app is already available, feel free to try it to see if it has all the features you might need!
What’s really missing right now are people on the Camino using it, so they can contribute to the data displayed on the map.
We head out next Friday, the 13th. I'll download it and see how it goes. :D

I see the Portugues coastal, but sadly there's nothing there yet. Is this just via browser or is there an app in the app store?
Hey, yes unfortunately I haven't had time to add albergues for each route for now.
You can still see the toilets and water fountains, you need to zoom in on the map a little bit to load them. This is to avoid loading too much data, since a lot of people don't have unlimited data when travelling abroad.

Otherwise, it's just via the browser right now.

Let me know if you decide to try it in the end, and buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

A question for couples of different sexes: do you sleep separately in the albergues? Do you pay more, and/or is it more complicated to book, to sleep in the same dorm (in separate bunk beds, of...
This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back