Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Héctor Walks His Way- Week 6

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Congratulations! I hope your time in Santiago and your journey home goes well. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been grateful to have shared your journey, and would be interested to see your reflections, if you care to post them once you have had time to absorb your experience.
Many people feel that the real pilgrimage starts with arrival in Santiago. In that spirit, Buen Camino, Hector.

Congratulations on your arrival!
It was a pleasure to digitally share your journey; your tenacity and determination are outstanding!
In the time to come may you cherish and enjoy your memories.

Carpe diem!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I made it!!!
Well done Héctor
My wife and I are sitting having lunch in Tunisia with a big smile on our faces seeing you in front of the cathedral, my wife has seen me just like that many times and we both know exactly how proud you feel.
Great achievement Héctor you walked the whole Camino very proud for you. Buen Camino Keith

Thank you for sharing your physical and spiritual journey. I am planning to return to Spain next week to walk on the Camino Primitivo. Before every Camino I usually have a lot of anxiety and doubt. Recently, every day, I have considered cancelling the trip. But, reading your post from yesterday has crystallized my resolve. You have been an inspiration to me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I made it!!!
Not only I heard bagpipes, but the Cathedral bells were going full blast. It was a magnificent arrival. I’ll post more later after I take care of mundane things like getting settled into my albergue, doing laundry, etc. I picked up my Compostela and just need to pick up stuff from Casa Ivar, but I have to wait till 7:30 PM

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Congratulations Hector on your wonderful Camino.
I want to thank you for sharing your journey with us all. To me it was been a wonderful gift. It has been a privilege to follow along with you through your thoughts and your discoveries of everything, including yourself. I appreciate your openness and honesty.
Buen camino.

Congratulation's. 👏 well done. Processing your camino starts now. Don’t be surprised that you may feel your journey is only beginning. The camino will now always be a part of you. You fully embodied the total experience. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us.

Thank you, Héctor, for sharing your journey. It was a privilege to follow along. You've had many supporters cheering you on from afar!
And now you know within yourself that you can achieve anything!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I hope this is the final stretch!

What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly…

La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km.

Last night, when having dinner at the only restaurant that I could find in La Faba whether they opened in the morning, and I was told yes, at 6:30 AM. They weren’t. Luckily I had some snacks with me so I didn’t start on a completely empty stomach.

It was still dark and my little headlamp wasn’t much help. When leaving town, the trail becomes very steep and rocky, and I felt uncomfortable with how little I could see. Fortunately several pilgrims started to trickle by, with much better lights, so I took advantage of the added visibility when they passed me by.

It was a very steep, rocky uphill but fortunately only a couple kilometers, and daybreak came, which helped me a lot feel more secure in my footing. The next town was Laguna de Castilla, only a couple kilometers away. I could hear the cowbells and smell the manure of the cows in the dairy barns. I also had a close encounter with a dog, but it turns out he was chasing a car, not me.

I had breakfast at Laguna de Castilla and resumed my walk. It was a cool, sunny morning and I kept climbing up the mountain, until I finally reached the stone marker that announced I was entering Galicia. The views were getting more spectacular until I reached O Cebreiro. Around this time, my stomach was acting up, so I didn’t get to enjoy it a whole lot, but I was able to care of my ailments.

There was a couple of tour buses and out came what has been called “turigrinos”. I wasn’t happy with such a big crowd so I left town. I stopped at the town of Liñares, which I mistook for Linares, the birthplace of a Spanish singer very popular back in the 60s and 70s, Raphael Martos. I stopped at a bar to use the bathroom, and struck up a conversation with the lady at the counter. She corrected me by pointing to the town of Linares in Jaén, not this town of Liñares in Galicia. We started to talk about Spain, and I mentioned that I’m a PR and used to be part of Spain, and to my surprise, she pulls out a PR flag given to her by a customer. It was a good moment, I wish I could have stayed longer. Her name is Sofia and she gave me permission to post her pic with the flag.

There were a couple of climbs, the second one was Alto de Poio, which was very steep. I tacked it by using a zig-zag approach. Looking back at the ground I’ve covered, I was insanely high, and eventually I got to the top, where I knew was a bar…but it was mobbed by teenagers, apparently on a school trip. I wound up going to the bar across the street, and ordered lunch, which was very generous. The bar was deserted other than a couple of older men talking in Galego (Galician), something I kept hearing all day.

It was getting late in the afternoon.i knew that the route will start going sharply downhill, but I still had to walk about 10 Km downhill, and no telling what kind of terrain I would find. It was also getting much warmer, and that has a draining effect. I even considered calling a Taxi, but I gave myself little breaks with each successive town I reached. The views continued to be spectacular and that helped take my mind off the tiredness and heat.

Eventually, I got to Triacastela. I showered, ate, and now ready to go to bed, but tomorrow will be shorter. I’ll be going to Sarria.

FB link for pics: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/EmjMGtpKpYPoHs93/?mibextid=WC7FNe
Congratulations, peregrino ... you persevered and powered through reaching Triacastela. Wow, I did that from Vega del Valcarce, staying in O Cebreiro and Fomfria before arriving to Triacastela. That climb of Alto de Poio, sounded too much like a 'pollo' in Spanish, so when reaching the top, I claimed that I would toss that pollo into the soup pot.

I also remember Raphael, which I became of fan of his in 1968 on my return to my native Chile and he was all the rage with his movies and his powerful voice ... suffice it to say that I have walked two caminos (CF and CP) with some of his recordings on my Spotify ... great stuff.

Thank you for sharing your FB photos.

Buen Camino 🙋‍♀️

Most read last week in this forum

Apologies if this isn't the right thread, but I searched the forum and only saw threads about Portugal. I was googling for info about the fires, and Google Maps showed one in Spain. No idea how...
Anyone struggling to find a place in Los arcos 6 km beyond is albergue sansol oasis.I can highly recommend excellent host and food
I heard it mentioned that rather than walking through the industrial section of Leon it was possible to take a bus out of the city....but where to?
Hi do any of my pergrino friends have an Amazon watch charger with them I could use to charge my watch up in burgos on the 20th of september.buen camino
UPDATE: Thanks to all who gave practical advice. I contacted Jacotrans, and they said that they would transport for the price of a taxi, i.e. €40 for up to four bags per stage. Now I'm curious to...
In the Plazade la Alameda, Santo Domingo de la Calzada, there is a fairly small plaque close to the ground. I get my photo taken there every time I pass through SDdlC. On the plaque it says, at...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back