Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Scammed in Lisbon

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am very embarrassed to write this, because this is the twentieth year I have come to Lisbon to teach a two-week course, but I was scammed today. Hopefully, my embarrassment will save someone else some cash!

I got to the Lisbon airport and hopped into a cab. Very nice young man, very proper. I always try to speak Portuguese when I can, because almost everyone speaks English, and my Portuguese is shamefully inadequate after having spent so much time here. So we were having a jolly time conversing. When we got to my hotel, the bill was 38.50!! WHAT???? Well, as I now realize in retrospect, he had been building the case for this since I got into the cab. He told me he was a driver who was specially licensed by the city, one of a group of taxistas who only do airport runs. They pay more in taxes, but get priority in the long lines at the airport. It all seemed reasonable till I saw the charge. When I expressed my incredulity, he pulled out a very official looking laminated poster, in English, Spanish, Portuguese, German and maybe one or two more languages, which detailed the charges from the airport to the city, to Cascais, etc. It even had the seal of the city of Lisbon on it! I thought that it must be an initiative to raise salaries, so I gave him my euros.

When I was checking into the hotel, I commented to the receptionist about how much taxi prices had gone up in Lisbon. Another woman heard me and told me it was a scam. She had been a victim of the same thing. She paid the price, but asked for a receipt (I didn’t) and wrote down the taxi number, and then called some central taxi office in Lisbon. She was promptly refunded the difference. The receptionist at the hotel felt really bad, but he told me that I should be comforted by the fact that he wouldn’t have scammed me if I hadn’t seemed like such a kind person. Small consolation, but I think the operative word is gullible.

ANYWAY … the taxi prices have not gone way up in Lisbon. Taxi fares from the airport to the central city should not be more than 10-15. If this happens to you, get a receipt and get the taxi number. Or avoid the whole issue and take an UBER!!!!

(P.S. I am writing a find penguins but I am not going to admit to this stupidity to my family and non-camino friends!).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well… dear Laurie! I just got scammed in a service station near Lisbon.

Ordered one coffee and custard tart and paid with contactless without checking the amount or asking for a receipt. I went to the baños and my partner waited. He was then asked to pay and did not realise I had already ‘paid’. On the tray was the bill I had paid… for the previous person for much more. Small matter and maybe not deliberate but the moral is:

- when paying ‘contactless’ look at the screen for the amount you are paying
- ask for a receipt as well as a bill

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
… and I just read an article about the fact that Ubers were an issue in Lisbon as only official taxis had the gadget to lower street bollards in the very central controlled area … so maybe the moral is that you just live and learn.

Well… dear Laurie! I just got scammed in a service station near Lisbon.

Ordered one coffee and custard tart and paid with contactless without checking the amount or asking for a receipt. I went to the baños and my partner waited. He was then asked to pay and did not realise I had already ‘paid’. On the tray was the bill I had paid… for the previous person for much more. Small matter and maybe not deliberate but the moral is:

- when paying ‘contactless’ look at the screen for the amount you are paying
- ask for a receipt as well as a bill
one small reason to pay in cash for amounts under (say) E20.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
You have my sympathy. It happens to us all. 35 euros may not be a huge amount in the great scheme of things, but it still leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. Whenever it happens to me, I try to remember the words of Socrates ¨The best revenge is a good life¨ so I think you are doing well.

Sorry to hear your trip starting this way Laurie. Don't beat yourself up even though you are obviously feeling Very Stupid right now. And thanks for sharing to alert others to the trick.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking the Camino Portuguese today and the fires outside of Albergaría a Velha forced us to evacuate to Sao Joao da Madeira. I am trying to find the best resource to check on our path to...
Hi, I’m Renee and I was supposed to start my Camino Portugues today in Porto. Yesterday I arrived early in the morning, but my backpack never did. The lost&found at the airport told me to not...
Hi, We are in Villa Nova D’Arosa and I wanted to stay in the Monastery tomorrow night, but my daughter does not want to. She wants to find a place halfway so we don’t have so far to walk to...
I do want to earn the Compostela. But I also want to do a more manageable and leisurely pace and not overdo it. Based on the Camino Ninja app, here is the route I plan (excludes travel days): Day...
Unfortunately I left my Brierley guide at home. Does anyone know where one can be purchased in Porto, preferably near SAo Bento. The Livraria Lello is far too difficult to get into. Thank you
Today I lost a credit card, debit card and military ID on the Portuguese Way somewhere around Arcos Portugal.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back