• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Have to rebook October camino. How would mid April be different?

Seger

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Oct 2023, Portuguese Coastal 2024
I was supposed to leave for my Camino in 2 days. I had a terrible fall yesterday (3 broken ribs) and have to reschedule my flight so that I can recoup some of my air fare. I was planning on the Coastal route leaving from Porto. Has anyone started early to mid April? I'm wondering how busy it's been in the past. Easter looks like it falls later.

Private rooms, daily bag transfers, 24/7 support, & more. Save now during our sale!
It’ll be colder, but not to the point that you couldn’t do it. Some albergues may not be open, but you can work that out later. I usually walk in April and love it because the locals aren’t worn down by the previous months of overwhelming tourist and pilgrim numbers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was supposed to leave for my Camino in 2 days. I had a terrible fall yesterday (3 broken ribs) and have to reschedule my flight so that I can recoup some of my air fare. I was planning on the Coastal route leaving from Porto. Has anyone started early to mid April? I'm wondering how busy it's been in the past. Easter looks like it falls later.
You have my very sincere sympathies, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Sorry, I have yet to walk the Portuguese so can't comment on numbers.

Yes Easter is late next year, starting on the 18th of April. Generally most things start to open just before Easter.
That doesn't however mean that if you start at the beginning of April nothing will be open, it's just that your options may be more limited.
Many Spaniards walk the last 100 km (or so) during the Semana Santa period, typically this means that all of the more popular routes are busy that week.

As to weather: it's spring and you're on the coast, walking into Galacia. Expect rain and hope for sun.

I walked a different route ( the Inglès) at the beginning of April last year, (which coincidentally was Semana Santa) and the camino was packed. Despite not being what I wanted or had anticipated it was thoroughly enjoyable. Walking into Santiago on Easter Friday was an incredible experience, as were the parades.
On the Inglés I had Frost two mornings, one of which turned into a 22 degree day. So as always: layers are your friend, and you might wish to consider a lightweight pair of gloves and a beanie
It’ll bit lighter in the morning.

Camino beats no-camino. Go for it.
Exactly!!

Oh no! I'm not sure whether I should feel sorrier for you having to postpone Camino or for your broken ribs. Both are extremely painful.

Having broken a few ribs, let me warn you: almost everything will be funnier than you ever imagined and you will want to laugh heartily at everything and then you will cry from the pain. Carry a small pillow with you to clutch to your chest when you need to laugh or cough. Learn to slide out of bed because rolling and standing up is almost impossible.

Wishing you a speedy recovery! And joy in replanning your Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

We are currently in the air somewhere over Asia, heading for Porto. We begin our litoral/coastal Camino on Tuesday. We have done so much planning but… I didn’t plan on leaving our guide book at...
I was supposed to leave for my Camino in 2 days. I had a terrible fall yesterday (3 broken ribs) and have to reschedule my flight so that I can recoup some of my air fare. I was planning on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back