• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting a sello where I’m not starting?

Femkuhhhh

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
Hello!

Next week I start on my first Camino (León -SdC (or Finisterre if I have time left over)), and I’m super excited.
Now before I leave for León, I have one day in Madrid and that’s where I want to pick up my credential. Is it possible for me to get a sello in Madrid, but start walking in León, or should I wait and get my sello/credential in León?

I hope someone might know the answer! Please let me know!

Thanks! Buon Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello!

Next week I start on my first Camino (León -SdC (or Finisterre if I have time left over)), and I’m super excited.
Now before I leave for León, I have one day in Madrid and that’s where I want to pick up my credential. Is it possible for me to get a sello in Madrid, but start walking in León, or should I wait and get my sello/credential in León?

I hope someone might know the answer! Please let me know!

Thanks! Buon Camino!
It does matter for your certificate of distance, if you wish to have one. León is your starting point, as you say.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
There is nothing preventing you from getting a sello in Madrid and starting from Leon. If you later use the credencial to get a distance certificate, you can always tell them you really started walking in Leon. Even if you don't, chances are that they will see a stamp in Madrid and the next one, the next day, in Leon, and figure it out. Take it from someone who has walked between the two - it can't be done in a day.

There is nothing preventing you from getting a sello in Madrid and starting from Leon. If you later use the credencial to get a distance certificate, you can always tell them you really started walking in Leon. Even if you don't, chances are that they will see a stamp in Madrid and the next one, the next day, in Leon, and figure it out. Take it from someone who has walked between the two - it can't be done in a day.
Thank you! That’s great to know! i was indeed worried about my distance certificate

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In your pilgrim passport/credential you write your starting date and starting place. So there should be no confusion in the pilgrim office. Anyway you have to apply for the certificate online or on the machines in the entrance of the building. You have to enter your data and starting date and starting place again. The stamps are only to "confirm" that you have been on this places.

This last year about 15 of my parishioners either have, or will, do one of the Caminos. I usually give their passport its first stamp on the parish altar, here in Camarillo, CA, with the presumption that the pilgrimage starts at home.

If the place of the heart for you is Madrid, why not there?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

A short but pleasant article about a pilgrim’s experience on a guided Camino trip. Some nice pics. https://apple.news/A0DsWcRwMRPWU42vxrhl10g
Sign a little west of Pamplona:
Hey everyone… I just want to check with you about a very strange situation I just had… or there is an explanation for that… It was 11:15 am (10 min ago) and I was at La Portela de Vlacarce. Small...
Why do they put the kilometer markers where they do, for example 301.1 km, and as 300km was over an hours walk away, are these people messing with my mind
If you have given thought to begin or end your Camino in Barcelona--Tourist taxes and a ban on Short Term Rentals...
Dont question the why.. The reasons are a million or more than the stars in the sky Its simply you were needed"there" at that point in time and place Fate and destiny Shrug and sigh Whats it all...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back