• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gangs of Galicia on Netflix

auburnfive

Veteran Member
A friend just told me about a Netflix series called Gangs of Galicia, and I started watching. Haven’t got the nuances of the plot yet, but so far there are scenes in Combarro, Arousa and Pontevedra. It’s dubbed in, nice to have even a weak Camino connection .😏

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
A friend just told me about a Netflix series called Gangs of Galicia, and I started watching. Haven’t got the nuances of the plot yet, but so far there are scenes in Combarro, Arousa and Pontevedra. It’s dubbed in, nice to have even a weak Camino.😏
Thanks , looks interesting, I'll take a look. I've heard that the Galician coast, because it's so treacherous and hard to patrol is the main point of entry for drugs smuggling by boat into Europe. Here's an El Pais newspaper article about smuggling:

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
It looks interesting...

There was another Netflix series a few years ago, 'Fariña'. It chronicled the initial smuggling of tobacco and marijuana, and then in the 80's, cocaine into Galicia. I think much of it was shot around Combarro too. It was good viewing, if a little absurd and fanciful at times.

I will check out this one..

I did start watching this a while ago but it didn't really captivate me. There are loads of really good Spanish series on netflix though and I watch a lot to try and keep up with my very limited Spanish! There actually was a true crime series set in Santiago de Compestella I watched a couple of months ago, but that wasn't the most cheery thing! Another really good true crime one was the assassination of a politician in Leon with the rather catchy title Muerte en Leon!

If you can find it, Auga Seca / Dry Water (set in Vigo with a bit in Lisbon) is a good, fictional crime dynasty series.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did start watching this a while ago but it didn't really captivate me. There are loads of really good Spanish series on netflix though and I watch a lot to try and keep up with my very limited Spanish! There actually was a true crime series set in Santiago de Compestella I watched a couple of months ago, but that wasn't the most cheery thing! Another really good true crime one was the assassination of a politician in Leon with the rather catchy title Muerte en Leon!
Hi all, I enjoyed the scenery in Gangs of Galicia when I stumbled on it by accident. We had only walked the Spirituales route.
The acting wasn't so good in "The Asunta Case" true crime as mentioned above, on Netflix but I followed it as it was centered on R. De Republica Arxentina. Santiago where I stayed when I volunteered in the pilgrim's office. It's nice to see familiar places.

It looks interesting...

There was another Netflix series a few years ago, 'Fariña'. It chronicled the initial smuggling of tobacco and marijuana, and then in the 80's, cocaine into Galicia. I think much of it was shot around Combarro too. It was good viewing, if a little absurd and fanciful at times.

I will check out this one..
I'm curious to know what parts you found absurd and fanciful. "Fariña", though fictionalised, is based on true stories and it's quite close to the truth. It's based on a book of the same title written by a journalist after years of research.

All the main characters are well known in the area. In the 80's-90's when someone built a very fancy house in the area we would say that they were a "contractor", which really meant they were in the drug business.

There's a whole generation of young people that was wiped out by the drug "pandemic".

I'm curious to know what parts you found absurd and fanciful. "Fariña", though fictionalised, is based on true stories and it's quite close to the truth. It's based on a book of the same title written by a journalist after years of research.

Yes, I know it's a fictionalised but fact based account. We've had our share of drug wars here for several decades, too. And several movies, tv series and documentaries on them.

I was referring mostly to the speedboat chase scenes, and the protagonist's seemingly relaxed and joking demeanor, throughout. Not how you might expect someone to behave when pumped full of adrenalin trying to out maneuver the police with half a tonne of coke on board. In my own opinion, the director overplayed it a bit, but what would I know?

There's a whole generation of young people that was wiped out by the drug "pandemic".

Indeed.. we've had our share of heartache and misery, too.. whole families, whole communities affected by the scourge of hard drugs. We are into our third generation of heroin addiction now, it's all around us.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

A question for couples of different sexes: do you sleep separately in the albergues? Do you pay more, and/or is it more complicated to book, to sleep in the same dorm (in separate bunk beds, of...
This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back