• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Foot Pain on Frances! What to Do?

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2023
I'm walking the Frances route. Yesterday, on day 9, I developed intense right foot pain in my heel and up the back of my ankle. I walked an additional 6 miles but can hardly walk. I used transportation to Santo Domingo from Najera this morning. It seems like plantar fascitis. I just don't know what to do. Any suggestions? I just bought new insoles, topical Voltadol, and more ibuprofen. I'll rest it today. How long should I rest it? Any other suggestions?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Fisio will give you a check over, some massage, and advise on stretches, meds, strapping, etc. and if you can continue or not. Been there, done that, got the T Shirt…

Hola @mcm, You have done the appropriate "immediate actions". The physio and the rest should work. Whilst no pilgrim wants to miss out any part of their camino, it might be better to get a bus to Burgos and take the time to have two or three sessions with a physio. The new inner soles might help. Oh and when you return to your Camino - starting on the meseta, start the first three of so days as short ones (say less than 20 km). This is possible between Burgos and Castrojeriz. If it is a long day, take a rest, say every hour or 90 mins. Cheers and Buen Camino.

Hola @mcm, You have done the appropriate "immediate actions". The physio and the rest should work. Whilst no pilgrim wants to miss out any part of their camino, it might be better to get a bus to Burgos and take the time to have two or three sessions with a physio. The new inner soles might help. Oh and when you return to your Camino - starting on the meseta, start the first three of so days as short ones (say less than 20 km). This is possible between Burgos and Castrojeriz. If it is a long day, take a rest, say every hour or 90 mins. Cheers and Buen Camino.

This sounds like a good approach. I'll look up Physio right now. Would you advise a different shoe? Could that be part of my problem? I'm wearing Hoka Speedgoat 6.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Same here. Long down hill into San Bol. Didn't realize I was favoring one foot all the way down. Rookie mistake.
Purchased a dog toy at a China store, a hard rubber ball. Used it to massage the bottom of my feet. Very short walking for the next few days. 90% recovery over the next few days. 100% by the time I got to Santiago
I'm walking the Frances route. Yesterday, on day 9, I developed intense right foot pain in my heel and up the back of my ankle. I walked an additional 6 miles but can hardly walk. I used transportation to Santo Domingo from Najera this morning. It seems like plantar fascitis. I just don't know what to do. Any suggestions? I just bought new insoles, topical Voltadol, and more ibuprofen. I'll rest it today. How long should I rest it? Any other suggestions?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You can also find a podiatrist at Burgos. I did some years back. My hotel arranged an appointment for me.

Failing a physiotherapist or a podiatrist, consider going to the local Centro de Salud (Health Clinic) in Burgos. You can search for "Centro de Salud cerca de mi" (Health Center near me) in Google Maps.

IIRC, there is also a Decathlon near Burgos, as well as many shoe stores - if it comes to that. But, your Hokas should fine.

Good luck.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm walking the Frances route. Yesterday, on day 9, I developed intense right foot pain in my heel and up the back of my ankle. I walked an additional 6 miles but can hardly walk. I used...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back