• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First aid from Sept 5th, 2024 - Day 2 to Day 7 - ish

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi all. For those starting out soon - I will be on Camino doing first aid from the 5th September. (For those who don't know, I have been visiting Camino to offer first aid since 2006).

Due to a worsening of an old knee trauma I am not able to walk distances anymore so I have recreated my mission. Taking my little Toyota Yaris and using the campsite at Irache for a base. Camping Iratxe - right on the Camino about 1km after the wine fountain so roughly halfway between Pamplona and Logrono.
(By the way, they have tiny log cabins to rent for a night, or longer if needed. Tiny bedroom, bathroom, covered porch, electricity, heating - https://www.campingiratxe.com/es/alojamientos/habitaciones-multiples.html )

Being mobile now I have printed some cards to hand out with a phone number on them. I can be texted, WhatsApped, or phoned ... willing to go upstream as far as Roncesvalles or down to Logrono if needed so please do take a photo of my number, just in case.

I will possibly hang around the Irache wine fountain early mornings then drive 'upstream' and visit various stopping points such as cafes and then refugios later in the day - my main evening refugios town will be Estella but no fixed plan really, will move as feels right day to day (which is more or less how I live anyway).

So if you are hurting and/or cannot walk on, left meds back at the last refugio, need a lift to a hospital or doctor, footwear shredded and need to get to a trekking shop ... you can see the options .. get in touch and if I can come I will. What3words is a great app for precise location sending - https://what3words.com/

Buen Camino! - is a uk number set to roaming but WhatsApp is free as possibly are texts, and short calls won't cost much.

first aid card as photo.jpg

And my first aid sign which will be with me and visible - as I will be, my clothing is all Franciscan brown - come and say hello.

First aid sign 2024.jpg

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Hi all. For those starting out soon - I will be on Camino doing first aid from the 5th September. (For those who don't know, I have been visiting Camino to offer first aid since 2006).

Due to a worsening of an old knee trauma I am not able to walk distances anymore so I have recreated my mission. Taking my little Toyota Yaris and using the campsite at Irache for a base. Camping Iratxe - right on the Camino about 1km after the wine fountain so roughly halfway between Pamplona and Logrono.
(By the way, they have tiny log cabins to rent for a night, or longer if needed. Tiny bedroom, bathroom, covered porch, electricity, heating - https://www.campingiratxe.com/es/alojamientos/habitaciones-multiples.html )

Being mobile now I have printed some cards to hand out with a phone number on them. I can be texted, WhatsApped, or phoned ... willing to go upstream as far as Roncesvalles or down to Logrono if needed so please do take a photo of my number, just in case.

I will possibly hang around the Irache wine fountain early mornings then drive 'upstream' and visit various stopping points such as cafes and then refugios later in the day - my main evening refugios town will be Estella but no fixed plan really, will move as feels right day to day (which is more or less how I live anyway).

So if you are hurting and/or cannot walk on, left meds back at the last refugio, need a lift to a hospital or doctor, footwear shredded and need to get to a trekking shop ... you can see the options .. get in touch and if I can come I will. What3words is a great app for precise location sending - https://what3words.com/

Buen Camino! - is a uk number set to roaming but WhatsApp is free as possibly are texts, and short calls won't cost much.

View attachment 177115

And my first aid sign which will be with me and visible - as I will be, my clothing is all Franciscan brown - come and say hello.

View attachment 177116
Great effort mate! Well done!!

View attachment 177115

View attachment 177116
This is just a wonderful thing you are doing. Maybe you could document it on YouTube like your documentary that I have watched a few times. Which is one of my 2 favorites.
I think you picked a really good area to help pilgrims. I remember my first 2 caminos when I walked CF in late September/October. 5 or 6 days in seemed to be prime time (especially for new pilgrims) to develop blister and foot problems. Maybe now there are less issues for new pilgrims with all the information out there about blisters/foot/body issues on the camino.

View attachment 177115

View attachment 177116
Wow you are/will be a Camino Angel for some/many. Grateful for your support. Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wow! Muchas gracias for giving back to the Camino. How long will you be there? We will be walking by Irache on September 28. Would love to meet you but hope to not need your help. Buen Camino

Thanks - I leave it open .. I do get a bit worn - crikey, am 76 now! - so I always leave ending dates open.
If I miss you - Buen Camino!!!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
David, I would love to watch your Youtube video/documentary as it was mentioned in post #5. Would you please share the link here?
How wonderful you are finding a creative way to continue helping pilgrims, not only with their minor injuries, but also with rides when needed. You are definitely a Camino angel.🙏

View attachment 177115

View attachment 177116
What a wonderful ministry!!
TY

David, I would love to watch your Youtube video/documentary as it was mentioned in post #5. Would you please share the link here?
How wonderful you are finding a creative way to continue helping pilgrims, not only with their minor injuries, but also with rides when needed. You are definitely a Camino angel.🙏

Well ... Robo interviewed me a couple of times - the rascal, he knows how to get people talking! Proper friendly journalist (nice bloke too). But I think they are known as Robo's videos.

I think the one that gets mentioned is a docufilm made by a rather fine young Brazilian film journalist, Alexandre Amaral.

I am in it (talking too much as usual) but so are many other people, pilgrims all. Some joyful but also some intensely sad chats there ... Alexandre made a wonderful film that really captures the Camino.

I just want to say - Re me and my first aid mission. I think people internalise what they read and then think of me as something more than I actually am. I do my mission because I love doing it, and it is a direct command after all (Luke 10:37) but this doesn't make me a "good person" in any way. I can be irritable, irascible, outspoken at the wrong time - is probably why I have been single for nearly twenty years - 😂😂😂

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

View attachment 177115

View attachment 177116
Such a meaningful mission, David! I'll be walking around the same time and hope to bump into you and get some amazing stories....I've added your number but it's not showing up on whatsapp

Such a meaningful mission, David! I'll be walking around the same time and hope to bump into you and get some amazing stories....I've added your number but it's not showing up on whats
Ah, thanks. The number is a second SIM in my phone. I thought it would work automatically on WhatsApp - I was wrong. I have now linked that number to WhatsApp so should work.

Have just noticed that it won't work with US numbers, I have no idea why

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well this is strange .. am I come to the end here? Have been doing this since 2006 but this year all has changed, radically changed.
In the spring I walked some days on the Meseta and thought that the lack of casualties was because I was in the wrong place. This September - the busiest month for non-Spanish pilgrims starting at St Jean - I have based myself at Irache, the campsite there in a tiny log cabin, with my little car.

So - I spent hours at the viewpoint with trailer cafe after Roncesvalles, halfway to Zubiri, and saw so many pilgrims coming through. I chatted to many but no one, except for a man with poor coverings on his knees who accepted me fitting him with good knee supports ... but where were all the casualties I have met in previous years? Like the Meseta back in the spring, they just weren't there anymore.

Would point out that this was after two days of heavy rain, where blisters become common.

I have visited refugios - absolutely no one needing help .. this morning, I went to the Alto del Perdon.
I arrived at dawn and stayed for over six hours ... I saw countless pilgrims but no one needing help, except for one man who had two small blisters he could easily have done himself, he had the kit with him, very minor.
Don't get me wrong, I had many wonderful conversations, even a couple from Brazil who had seen Alexandre's pilgrim docu/film on their tv and recognised me and came to say hello - but casualties? No.

I decided to observe closely and noticed two main things that have changed. Firstly so many were now wearing good trail runners or lightweight fabric boots, or good trekking sandals - lots of Keen Newports! - foot shaped, light, comfortable - not like the old days of heavy hot boots - but also, vast numbers - and I mean VAST numbers! of pilgrims with tiny day packs, both from those sending packs ahead and also group tours ...

So I am wondering - did my casualties come from inexperienced pilgrims with heavy packs? and now they are gone as their rucksacks are moved for them? And no virgin pilgrims buying rigid heavy boots because that was what they were told they needed?

I am at a loss and is a weird mind process for me - do I want people to hurt so that I can help them? Or should I actually be pleased that their need is not there anymore - 😂 :oops: (rhetorical question).

But, I have been doing this for so long now - and I really think that I am no longer needed .... and hiker pilgrims, with their packs, all ages, nationalities, they all speak of refugios full due to tour groups and having to walk on, rows of suitcases with labels in the hallways, not even rucksacks! .. so many now trying to book days ahead so they can get a place, so many staying away from day stage evenings and stopping in between but still having problems .. the Camino (Frances) has changed, really changed - I am not being judgemental here but observational - this may be my last year I think ...

But - I am not yet stopping. Tomorrow I shall go to that cafe trailer viewpoint after Roncesvalles again as early as I can, just after dawn, and shall stay until the very last pilgrim has passed ... then I will know ..

Last edited:
Awww, @David, I am sure this is disappointing for you to be experiencing such a drastic change from the first aid help you always gave to pilgrims before with their foot blisters and sore feet.
I think you have probably hit the nail on the head with your thoughts as to reasons of "why" their is a lack of foot injuries. When I first walked in 2015, I would often see people with huge blisters on their heels or toes. Even for myself, I would get a few hot spots and treat them with moleskin for a few days. Recently I was thinking how I never seem to get them any more and wondered why. I still carry my own pack, but try to keep stages as close to 20km as I can, which could be another reason. Trail runners have improved over the years with many more options, and heavy boots are used less.
Yes, the Camino is changing, and especially the Camino Frances.
Possibly considering a different type of volunteerism in the area where you live could satisfy a longing in you to continue helping people; just a thought.
It's good to hear you are still meeting many pilgrims passing through and are enjoying some great conversations! 👍

I am done. My mission ended ... I spent hours at the main refugio in Estella - no casualties ... I have lurked at the Irache wine fountain, I have been to all the places I can think of where pilgrims pass and stop for a break and, no, those days are gone no casualties anymore.
Luggage transfers, tour groups with buses/coaches waiting at their evening stops ... the virgin pilgrims now just carrying light day packs .... the Camino is no longer as it was - and I feel strangely sad .. actually, sad because I have no one to help instead of glad that there is no longer anyone to help! so the mind works. :oops: 😂 :eek:

Time to go home now, and enter into something new, perhaps a night shelter or food kitchen volunteering? Who knows? But my 'Good Samaritan' Luke 10:37 (then go, Ye, and do likewise) mission is over - Camino, for me, is over. xx

I shall stay on forum seeing if I can give good advice but will probably drift away. As Bryon and Susan, pilgrims with proper packs and old expectations, said to me when I met then at Alto Del Perdon "Now we have seen how it is we think maybe we should have done this a few years ago, before it became what it is now" - and that is how I feel - a dinosaur in a land of mammals. x

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you, @David, for all you have done over the years being a First Aid Angel on the Camino Frances.🤗😇
Yes, the Camino is changing and evolving into something "else" it seems, especially the Frances.
We all will eventually "hang up our boots" one day. I hope you stick around on the forum and if/when you find a volunteer position that suits you, please do let us know. 🙏
Safe travels back home.🚗

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Bless you and your work, David. So good that we have met April 17 2024 on the Meseta and that I could give you the 20 euro I’ve found on the road near St. Anton for your first aid kit. Still hear your voice telling: walk straight up like King Charles (saying: hello, hello 😃) and: make little steps. Afterwards you helped me with my (very) little toe on the terrace from the albergue of Calzadilla de la Cueza. Maybe you don’t feel you make the difference, but in my opinion you’re gold. By the way: my husband bought the hat you advised and he loves it.
Pax et Bonum, beautiful soul.

Bless you and your work, David. So good that we have met April 17 2024 on the Meseta and that I could give you the 20 euro I’ve found on the road near St. Anton for your first aid kit. Still hear your voice telling: walk straight up like King Charles (saying: hello, hello 😃) and: make little steps. Afterwards you helped me with my (very) little toe on the terrace from the albergue of Calzadilla de la Cueza. Maybe you don’t feel you make the difference, but in my opinion you’re gold. By the way: my husband bought the hat you advised and he loves it.
Pax et Bonum, beautiful soul.

Aww, I remember you well! Good and kind people. Too late to alter my previous posts but does seem a bit ghoulish! Being upset that the pilgrims are healthy!! haaha.

But all is well. Things change, needs change, all is well. xx

The same, no pilgrims needing first aid, but thank you.
This may sound odd, but it may also be because so many of us (me) on the Camino these days are considerably older than pilgrims used to be--and we are very conscious of what we CANNOT do and make an effort to take good care of ourselves on the Camino. And we no longer have to prove that we CAN do things we shouldn't.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
This may sound odd, but it may also be because so many of us (me) on the Camino these days are considerably older than pilgrims used to be--and we are very conscious of what we CANNOT do and make an effort to take good care of ourselves on the Camino. And we no longer have to prove that we CAN do things we shouldn't.
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of this before, but you are possibly on to something.🙄 I did notice over the years that it was usually the young adults that seemed to have the worst and most painful blisters.

Last May was my 7th Camino and my first blister. My feet spread out a bit more and my little toe isn’t as firm as it was and wants to hide under number four. Welcome friction in the socks 🥴. Back home I solved this by wearing toe socks and now it’s well. But I agree with you that the oldies know their limits.

I am in France now, the Charente, deep in the countryside where I used to live.
I want to apologise to all for all of the above, what I can now see was 'unloading', but I was by myself down there and just let it out on forum - thank you for all being so kind.

Well .. only a week ... one tiny blister the size of a small child's smallest fingernail and the rest was encouragement chats, pleasant to-and-fro chats and about five knees - all with pilgrims carrying full packs, various ages, both genders.

I always feel frustrated with knees - is normally inflamed ligaments on the sides from swivelling during descents carrying extra weight. The 'cure' is being locked in a hotel room for five days and RICER - rest, ice, compression, elevation, Rioja.

I rub in the Voltarol, and give them a small grip-seal bag of it with a few days supply, fit them with a good elasticated support, give them encouragement - tell them to take rest days ... and off they go, feeling much better with the supports ... but, here the frustration - it isn't a 'cure' it just helps them until they get to a big town and stop for a few days - but I know that most won't, they will carry on.

I felt guilty driving away but I have just come to the end of it - for me! I still think Camino is wonderful and can be life-changing! ... but, waiting all day as pilgrims pass ... no one really needing me .. is somehow like being a double-glazing salesman knocking on doors and being rebutted all day long!

I think 18 years is long enough, and I know that I saved at least one life for sure .... maybe helped, helped some people be happier ... who knows these things.

I do love Camino and I wish you all well - and hey! you novice pilgrims, listen to us old ones - take ONLY what you need, not what you might need - and walk slow with short steps and, remember the guide books are guide books, not rule books so stop when tired - and, Buen Camino!

David - God Bless xxxx

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

A question for couples of different sexes: do you sleep separately in the albergues? Do you pay more, and/or is it more complicated to book, to sleep in the same dorm (in separate bunk beds, of...
This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back