Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alert Fires in Portugal

Topics realted to Hazards on the camino de Santiago
Time of past OR future Camino
September-October (2019)
We are walking the Camino Portuguese today and the fires outside of Albergaría a Velha forced us to evacuate to Sao Joao da Madeira. I am trying to find the best resource to check on our path to Grijo tomorrow and then into Porto the following day. Any words of wisdom/advice would be appreciated.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My husband and I are walking the Portuguese Camino. We are in Mealhada and getting lots of smoke from fires in Albergaria a Velha and Oliveira de Azemeis. Does anyone know how the Camino is affected? Is it still open? Is it dangerous to try to continue?

My husband and I are walking the Portuguese Camino. We are in Mealhada and getting lots of smoke from fires in Albergaria a Velha and Oliveira de Azemeis. Does anyone know how the Camino is affected? Is it still open? Is it dangerous to try to continue?
I would check out the fogos.pt website, which is a dynamic map of the country, to see how fire locations might be located relative to your route.

Quite a lot of roads are closed in the areas south of Porto and around Aveiro. And you don't want to be around when they're firefighting, for sure.

Stay safe and stay informed. The fires are usually controlled within a day or so. And are quite small compared to fires in the wild, in North America. You might need to take a day or two's break, and wait it out if they're in the area you plan to cover.

Best of luck--boa sorte e bom caminho!

Update 10:47 pm, Monday 16/9:

My neighbour, whose niece lives in Guimares but was visiting here, near Tomar, says her niece couldn't get home at all today after dropping off her aunt, my neighbour, earlier in the day. All the highways heading north were closed off.

If you're walking the southern part of the Portuguese central caminho, might be a good time to take a break. It sounds pretty wild up north!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We are walking the Camino Portuguese today and the fires outside of Albergaría a Velha forced us to evacuate to Sao Joao da Madeira. I am trying to find the best resource to check on our path to Grijo tomorrow and then into Porto the following day. Any words of wisdom/advice would be appreciated.

I just saw infos that you must be careful between Porto and Lisboa. Looks like the road is closed for cars/ bus.
Check in advance before walking.

I was going to suggest making your way out to the coast around Espinho and walking up to Porto by the boardwalk, but it looks like you have an easterly wind at present, so you'd be in the smoke path. Other alternative might be to bus or train north of the fires?

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
@ColoradoGirl and @Firefly7 the Camino route passes through forest before and after albergaría a velha, it’s sparse with just trees, and no houses or routes out, or anything around and I didn’t see anyone at all as I went through (although granted it was raining when I did this section earlier in the year)
It’s probably the worst place to be caught if there a fire as there’s no help around, no proper road in for help and no way out.

Knowing there’s fires in the area and knowing what that section of route is like I would 100% avoid right now.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just saw infos that you must be careful between Porto and Lisboa. Looks like the road is closed for cars/ bus.
Check in advance before walking.
Translation from Portuguese news this morning:

"There are six motorways cut in the North and Central of the country:

The fires continue to force the authorities to cut roads in the districts of Aveiro, Coimbra, Viseu, Vila Real, Braga and Porto. The indications remain: do not pass in places of fire or nearby and, where possible, avoid traveling.

In Aveiro, the fires of Albergaria-a-Velha and Sever do Vouga led the authorities to cut the A1 between Aveiro Sul and Albergaria intersection, in both directions. In the A25, the cut is total between Angeja and Reigoso (Viseu). It is not possible to pass in the IC2 between A25 and EN1-12 and the EN16 is totally cut between Cacia and Sever do Vouga.

In Viseu there are several cuts due to the fires in Nelas, Penalva do Castelo and Castro Daire. At A25, traffic is not allowed between Mangualde and Chãs de Tavares. In EN2 it is not allowed to circulate between Mamouros and Ponte Pedrinha, in EN 234 traffic is cut between Canas de Senhorim and Oliveirinha. In A24 the cut is total between the Castro Daire knot and the Arcas/Mamouros knot.

The fire of Vila Pouca de Aguiar caused the A24 to have been cut in two directions between the Samardã intersection and the little village intersection of Aguiar. In the EN2 it is not possible to circulate between Covelo and Pedras Salgadas and EN103 between Assureira and Águas Frias.

n Porto, due to the flames in Gondomar, the authorities cut the A43 (IC29) in both directions, the EN 101 between Cavalinho and Mesão Frio. In EN 321 traffic is not allowed to circulate between EN101 and Campelo.

The fire in Chaves forced the cutting of EN 2 in the area of Vilarinho da Paranheiras.

In Fradelos, Braga, traffic is not allowed to circulate in En 207-4 between Gonça and Garfe.

The flames that pvve in Baião and Marco de Canaveses led to the cut of the N101 at Bustelo, N221 between Eiriz and Campelo and N321-1 in Soalhães."

I am doing the coastal route on Saturday from Porto. Is it wrong to assume it will all be calmed down by then as there is rain forecast on Friday?

At the moment from what I can see along the coast is fine, I would assume the smoke along the coastal route is the only issue at the moment. Unless there happens to be fire along the coastal route which I doubt will happen.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
On Google maps in the map views ledger (satellite, default, terrain) above the compass, there is an option to see were the fires are and severity.

All the advice was to skip to porto. North of Aguida is thick smoke and apparently a lot of damage. Local advice was that even after the fire is consoled it is pretty much a wasteland to walk. Trains weren't running to Alveiro because of fires and main roads were closed.
We chose discretion as the better part of valour and took local advice from people who know the country. I imagine the firefighters have enough on their plate without having to worry about wandering pilgrims as well?

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I am doing the coastal route on Saturday from Porto. Is it wrong to assume it will all be calmed down by then as there is rain forecast on Friday?

At the moment from what I can see along the coast is fine, I would assume the smoke along the coastal route is the only issue at the moment. Unless there happens to be fire along the coastal route which I doubt will happen.
We made a long day of it today from Sao Joao da Madeira thru Grijo to Porto and the smoke was fairly heavy but okay with a mask on. All routes were accessible but we only saw 3 other pilgrims. The majority of people we e met along the way took a train or bus from Sao Joao da Madeira.
Porto is affected by the smoke but we hear the coastal should get better as we head north. We also leave Saturday. Bom Caminho!

My darling and I are in Fungalvaz. We'll be walking to Tomar tomorrow.
Then our plan was/is:
19 September: Portela de Vila Verde
20 September: Alvaiázere
21 September: Ansião
22 September: Ribeira de Alcalamouque
23 September: Conimbriga
24 September: Coimbra for 4 nights
28 September: Mealhada
29 September: Anadia
30 September: Agueda
1 October: Albergaria-a-Velha
2 October: Pinheiro da Bemposta (Moinho Garcia)
From Pinheiro da Bemposta, we're walking back to the coast.
3 October: Ovar
4 October: Cortegaça
5 October: Arcozelo
6 October: Porto

Our hosts tonight are thinking that we should be ok with Albergaria-a-Velha, as we'll get there in 11 days, but I'll take any advice from pilgrims ahead of us, from anyone with first hand information (I have downloaded the Fogos app) as to whether we should skip any stages.

I'm contacting some of the accommodation ahead for their advice.

In Fungalvaz, we've got the smoke from a fire northwest of Ourém.
PXL_20240917_175145128.jpg

Hello! I am on the coast in between Lisbon and Porto my way to Porto to start the Camino on Saturday. It is very smoky here with poor air quality. I am considering travelling around Portugal and changing my plan to do a similarly length route in Spain. Does anyone know where the heavily affected areas are?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello! I am on the coast in between Lisbon and Porto my way to Porto to start the Camino on Saturday. It is very smoky here with poor air quality. I am considering travelling around Portugal and changing my plan to do a similarly length route in Spain. Does anyone know where the heavily affected areas are?
The worst is inland from Aveiro, just south of Gaia/Porto. But the entire northern area is scattered with fires. The humidity right now is very low, and that part of the country seems a tinderbox.

I remember similar discussions happening back in 2018, when they had the very very awful fires in central Portugal. This time, our part of the country is so far spared.

Portuguese commentary suggests that the much-increased regulations about clearing the land have been fairly effective in central Portugal, where there's a lot of the commercial forestry--mostly eucalyptus for paper-making.

But my sense from reading today is that there may be less enforcement of the land-clearing rules in the north, where the pieces of land tend to be much smaller and often much-divided pieces of land (through inheritance), and where the landowners have not really had the resources to spend much time/money on their land. Hence--still lots of eucalyptus--and even where it's been burned off before, if the remains are not cleaned up and dug out, it regrows very easily.

Please keep in mind this is not like a big, "one-off" North American wildfire. This is a whole lot of small, very intensive fires being fought mainly on the ground by small-town and village volunteer firefighters, using small tanker trucks. Very few "hot-shot" teams like you may see in Arizona, or California, or British Columbia--or Australia, for that matter.

They really do not need walkers along the way, complicating their already-demanding tasks in 30C+ weather. Avoid the region.

My darling and I are in Fungalvaz. We'll be walking to Tomar tomorrow.

Our hosts tonight are thinking that we should be ok with Albergaria-a-Velha, as we'll get there in 11 days, but I'll take any advice from pilgrims ahead of us, from anyone with first hand information (I have downloaded the Fogos app) as to whether we should skip any stages.

I'm contacting some of the accommodation ahead for their advice.

In Fungalvaz, we've got the smoke from a fire northwest of Ourém.
View attachment 177767
We’ve been walking from Lisbon, now in Coimbra. Have been strongly advised not to proceed from here. Hard to say what things will be like in 7-10 days but most likely, need to monitor daily (obviously) and you’ll need to be prepared to change plans if needed. I’d imagine that areas affected by bushfire is not particularly safe to be walking through for some weeks post any fire.

We will see if we can get to Porto and walk from there, but the main priority is safety and not getting in the way of the local firefighters, and others for that matter. It’s pretty devastating in some parts.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hola perrito. We just came from Porto. Waking in the morning, I had a terrible scratchy throat. Had to mask up for breakfast. Decision make to take a train to Valença. The smoke was awful until about 15 minutes. There is still a haze but we pick up tomorrow from Tui. My breathing was more important than doing that section. People from Portugal Porto area very concerned about fires. Tui people too are concerned. Buen comino

All the advice was to skip to porto. North of Aguida is thick smoke and apparently a lot of damage. Local advice was that even after the fire is consoled it is pretty much a wasteland to walk. Trains weren't running to Alveiro because of fires and main roads were closed.
We chose discretion as the betterect suggestion. Having worked with my home town part of valour and took local advice from people who know the country. I imagine the firefighters have enough on their plate without having to worry about wandering pilgrims as well?
This is a perfect suggestion. Having worked with my town's fire/first aid department, it’s makes everything so much more complicated and dangerous with extra bodies around. Kudos for you for being upfront with this advice.

The website posted above is a good resource + listen to the locals.

View attachment 177752
Everybody who is on trail, please be extra careful, sudden wind changes may find you in harm's way; heed all the warnings, be alert and listen to the authorities. Buen Camino 🙋‍♀️

We are staying in Ponte de Lima tonight and planned to walk all the way to Valença tomorrow. Will check the fire alerts before we leave but if anyone has advice on whether we should take a car/bus instead would be very helpful 🙏

€46,-
We are staying in Ponte de Lima tonight and planned to walk all the way to Valença tomorrow. Will check the fire alerts before we leave but if anyone has advice on whether we should take a car/bus instead would be very helpful 🙏
With all respect it would be better for you to ask the locals, the people running your accommodation, check the Fogos.pt or Windy websites, sniff the air and look out of the window (I'm an offshore surveyor and was taught never to trust the computer screen). Please report back. Richard

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking the Camino Portuguese today and the fires outside of Albergaría a Velha forced us to evacuate to Sao Joao da Madeira. I am trying to find the best resource to check on our path to...
Hi, I’m Renee and I was supposed to start my Camino Portugues today in Porto. Yesterday I arrived early in the morning, but my backpack never did. The lost&found at the airport told me to not...
We are still in Lisbon at a hotel waiting to get to Porto. We are a day behind our desired schedule. Being here is so different from watching everyone’s videos and instructions. Hubby is thinking...
Greetings from Portugal, We are currently in the town of Santarem. We have met some wonderful folks and we have a question. Does anyone know if there is a way to transport backpacks from here to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back