• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding the start of the Camino Madrid

cindyjo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012
Camino del Norte /Primitivo (2014)
Chemin la Puy (2016)
Camino Portuguese (2017)
Hi all, I’m sitting in the Rodilla Cafe on Plaza Castilla after looking for an arrow or some sign to show the start of the Camino Madrid. My sister and I hope to begin walking tomorrow morning, but we’re unsure where to start. Any help would be appreciated. 🙂

Private rooms, daily bag transfers, 24/7 support, & more. Save now during our sale!
I walked it in 2019, so it may be different now, but back then the church referenced above was the unofficial starting point for the Camino. However, there were no yellow arrows until you got to Plaza de Castilla.

So I made my own way from the church to the Plaza. Heading north up the street, both before and after Cafe Rodilla, there were yelpow arrows. Look on street lights, street lamps, kerbs, buildings, etc.

But head north from Cafe Rodilla and you should find some. Good luck! It’s a great Camino.

Keep the Camino momentum going once you return home with After the Camino
And if you want to pick up a Camino de Madrid credential at the Iglesia, be sure to have your passport with you so they can fill in your passport number on the credential. I didn’t have mine with me, but when I promised to write the number in as soon as I returned to my hotel, I was allowed to receive my credential.😊

You can download the Gronze Map app, but you do need an internet connection for it to work.

Keep the Camino momentum going once you return home with After the Camino
Hi all, I’m sitting in the Rodilla Cafe on Plaza Castilla after looking for an arrow or some sign to show the start of the Camino Madrid. My sister and I hope to begin walking tomorrow morning, but we’re unsure where to start. Any help would be appreciated. 🙂
IMG_20230531_205752256_HDR.jpg

The Camino Madrid start here

I am a bit confused. We will walk the Camino de Madrid in the Spring. After looking at Google Maps, the Plaza de Santiago and the photo provided are right by the church and make perfect sense as the start of the Camino de Madrid.

However, I´m confused by the references to Plaza Castilla. Per Googe Maps, it´s something like 12 km from the church. Is there more than one Plaza Castilla in Madrid? Or is it just an alternative location in Madrid where you can pick up the Camino de Madrid?

As a side note, I love the photo with the double way marking for Uclés and Santiago. We´re going to start our camino walking from Uclés to Madrid, so it´s very cool that that camino is marked all the way to the start of the Camino de Madrid.

To reiterate what I said in my initial post, at the time that I walked it (5 years ago), the church was generally considered the starting point, but there were no yellow arrows to guide you from that point. The yellow arrows started at the Plaza de Castilla. Maybe somebody that has walked it more recently can comment on where they picked up the yellow arrows. Much could have changed in 5 years.

I had booked a hotel right at the Plaza de Castilla, so upon arrival in Madrid, I dropped my pack at the hotel and took the metro to central Madrid. I found the church and then walked back to the hotel, making my own way through the city streets. My recollection is that it was about 7-8 kilometres from the church to the Plaza. The next day I left the hotel and in about 30 metres I was on the Camino.

Maybe the OP can let us know how they got along.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I'll be walking the Camino Madrid, beginning in April. Any updated information would be appreciated in terms of accommodation, etc. I am now in my late seventies and would like to walk shorter...
Hi all, I’m sitting in the Rodilla Cafe on Plaza Castilla after looking for an arrow or some sign to show the start of the Camino Madrid. My sister and I hope to begin walking tomorrow morning...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.