• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Entry to the Cathedral

Thanks for that but OMG these people walk 800 km and then have to wait in a queue in the hot sun?
They walk the Camino and wait to get into the cathedral because they want to, not because they have to! If one walks the last 100 km into Santiago in July or August, that situation should be expected and most of those people are very happy to be there.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for that but OMG these people walk 800 km and then have to wait in a queue in the hot sun? - makes me glad I am relegated to being a virtual pilgrim:eek:
The majority hasn’t walked 800 km. And nobody has to go at 1 pm. These people had chosen to go at a time of the day when many others had the same idea. The first pilgrim mass of the day will start in 7 minutes at 7:30 am. There are no queues. The pews in the transept are empty, barely a dozen people are sitting there.

The Cathedral is open from 7 am in the morning until 9 pm in the evening, and the Camarín for the Embrace of the Apostle is open from 8:30 am until 7:30 pm.

The queues in the screenshots appear so long because the midday pilgrim mass is still going on and the portals have been closed for an hour so as to not disturb those who attend mass. As soon as mass ends the queues will start to move and they move quickly.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone :) I will be walking the Camino Portuguese. The upcoming two weeks and would love to get a tattoo to commemorate it. Would anyone be able to suggest any good tattoo shops which would...
I’ll be arriving in Santiago about October 7 after walking the Portugues Coastal and am finding many of the popular accommodations sold out. Is there some events in the city beyond the usual? I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back