• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I really need a hat?

lsg

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug 2024 - Camino Frances
Hi, I'm packing to do Camino Frances starting 21st Aug 2024.
Here's some context: I'm from Singapore where it's >30 deg C all year round with >90% humidity. I use an umbrella (or even nothing at all) when I walk around outdoors. I'll be bringing an umbrella. Do I still need a hat?
Thanks!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I brought both a hat and an umbrella, mostly because I found a poncho too hot and too fussy for walking in the rain (stopping to take the poncho on and off was a hassle). I can attach the umbrella to my pack so that I can walk with my arms at my side. Keep in mind that carrying an open umbrella for 20 km gets kind of tiring. If it is very windy, an umbrella becomes impractical.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks everyone, that was quick! I won't be carrying poles but will bring a poncho for rain. The umbrella is actually for the sun. Would it be possible to buy the umbrella bag clip from SJPdP? I could order it online but it might not get delivered in time.

Here's some context: I'm from Singapore where it's >30 deg C all year round with >90% humidity. I use an umbrella (or even nothing at all) when I walk around outdoors. I'll be bringing an umbrella. Do I still need a hat?
Thanks!
it can be windy and sunny?
you'll be walking long distances, sometimes on uneven terrain with something in your hand that you have to hold upright?
hats make us look distinguished?

you're right. you probably don't need a hat if you're used to carrying an unmbrella.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks!
If you plan to use poles (highly recommended), leave the umbrella and bring a wide brimmed hat that provides ventilation. I have a Panama which I swear by. BTW, the poles will also shoosh Camino dogs who become "attentive" as @Tincatinker mentioned. Disclaimer, my opinion and $5 will buy you a bad coffee at an unnamed Seattle based chain of coffee shops. ¡Disfruta de tu Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hats are completely unnecessary: simply remove your head and carry it in your rucksack ;)

<Edited for Added Silliness and Fun. :)>

I have just completed testing of Head Sack performance and have a few observations I can share. The Moderators do have my OK if they want to pin it as a 'sticky note' in the Equipment Section of the Forum.

Head Sack Testing, plus Recommendations for Head Sack Use

As a traveling visitor while on Camino, I want to be as courteous as possible. My detached head laying loose in my backpack, makes a fairly audible thump-thumping noise caused by it rolling around inside the pack. This can be irritating for people who have to listen to this. That is why I developed a system which solves a frustrating problem: How do I protect my head from direct sun exposure by having it inside the backpack, keep it secured from rolling around, yet be able to quickly retrieve and reattach it to my neck as needed.

Part of the solution came from the development of my Head Detachment System (HDS). It incorporates the use of wide velcro strips. The 'fuzzy' part of a velcro strip is attached to the Atlas bone of the Craniocervical Junction (the top of my neck). The 'toothy' part of the velcro strip is attached to the Occipital bone of the skull (the base of the head). This allows for a super quick, but very secure, disconnection and reconnection of my head.

I found that a self-stick adhesive on the back of some brands of velcro provided a quick and convenient method for positioning the velcro into place. The adhesive could loosen over time, so a secure and long-term attachment method was needed. What ended up working best was the insertion of staples that snugly pinned the velcro into place.

This was done only after verifying that proper head-to-neck placement and centering had been achieved. The medium-duty staple gun, commonly found in home toolboxes, uses a heavier-duty staple that works best. The staple gun also does a superb job of inserting the staples through the velcro and into the bony structures.

Upon entering a village or town, my HDS allows me to quickly retrieve and reconnect my head. This eliminates an irritating noise that could disturb the residents. I have to admit there were a few times when I was deep in thought and not paying attention and suddenly found myself entering a town.

It is a challenge to simultaneously deal with the noises produced by my head and my trekking pole tips. It is worth the effort, though, to keep villagers from seething from hearing 'clickity clackity, thump-thump. click clack, thump, click, thumpity-clack. . . '

I tested Head Sacks manufactured by Aussie Ultralight, Zpacks, Osprey, Sea to Summit, Gossamer Gear, REI, Montane, Montbell, RAB, ULA, and Decathlon, among others. Most of the manufacturers used an ultralight nylon-weave, non-waterproof material for their Head Sacks, a few used other fabrics.

I tested each Head Sack based on several Priorities which are discussed below. When testing the Head Sack for attachment methods on the outside of a backpack, I looked at the ability to attach the Head Sacks to the waistbelt or the shoulder harness. Most manufacturers had some variation of an adjustable velcro loop sewn to the back of the Head Sacks.

There were three priority issues I specifically looked at when testing Head Sack performance.

The First Priority: When my head was detached and kept inside the Head Sack, did I find it easy to take in air while breathing? Passing this test was an absolute must; if a manufacturer's Head Sack failed this test, it was immediately eliminated from further testing or consideration.

The Second Priority: How well did a Head Sack perform? Was a Head Sack's motion-control force inside the Head Sack adequate to keep the containerized head comfortably positioned while inside a backpack? Did the Head Sack prevent itself from rolling around the main compartment of the pack while containing the head?

The Third Priority: Did the Head Sack's design allow a quick and easy access when putting a detached head inside? When needing to reattach the head to the neck, was retrieving the head from inside the Head Sack quick and easy?

It was during the Third Priority testing phase when I realized that for quick and easy storage and retrievals of my head when it was detached, I needed to move the Head Sack to the outside of my backpack. This saves time by not requiring a Pilgrim to stop, remove the backpack, then search for the head inside the main compartment, then putting the backpack on again.

Fortunately, a goodly number of gear manufacturers have created some great looking and performing Head Sacks. They usually come equipped with adjustable velcro straps sewn to the back of the Head Sack allowing the Head Sack to be securely attached to the outside of the pack.

PRO: Once attached to the backpack, the location of the Head Sack's opening allowed for an easy reach. Access was very quick for either the insertion or the retrieval of my head. PLUS, I found that I could actually breath fairly well due to the weave of the nylon fabric.

CONS: Even though the Head Sacks were tightly secured to backpacks, the Head Sacks would still slightly sway and swing from my body's movements as well as the slight movements of the Head Sacks themselves. So while my head would remain securely in place within the Head Sack, the sack could slightly sway while I walked. This caused some minimal thumping and bumping against the hipbelt or shoulder straps. This simultaneously gave me headaches and motion sickness. Ibuprofen helped deal with headaches, but anti-motion sickness medication made my body too sleepy to walk a straight line.

A funny thing happened after I had taken some Dramamine. A local parks department employee saw my body laying down. I was so sleepy from the sedative effects of the Dramamine that I hastily picked a spot to nap under the shade of a large Maple tree. In my haste, I neglected to retrieve my head and reattach it.

The parks employee found me lying there, sans head. Talk about being startled!! Fortunately, my head was able to rouse itself awake just long enough to explain why I was laying there, and how my Head Detachment System (HDS) functioned.

Recommendation:
  1. The most important steps in choosing a good Head Sack is determining its degree of breathability as well as the correct Fit-N-Feel that it has around your head.
  2. Following a few simple guidelines, spend a bit of time carefully attaching a Head Sack to either the shoulder straps or hipbelt. Taking your time and exercising a bit of patience will give you a big payoff in comfort and usability of your new Head Sack.
  3. Sales Associates employed at Brick and Mortar outdoor stores, like REI, can often assist you with proper Head Sack adjustments. I also know that by taking my time and following some simple guidelines, I can achieve even better results. So can you!!!
Final Thoughts: Many folks do not have a decent, local outdoor equipment store to shop at. While I prefer that folks 'shop local' to support their local community, it is not always possible. If this is you, do not fret. Use online shopping to purchase a Head Sack. Then follow the simple steps in the tips above for fitting and attaching a Head Sack. You will see that you can achieve great results by doing the fitting and adjustments yourself.

When purchasing a Head Sack online, please make sure that the online store's policies allow for returns.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I plan to bring both. I’m a newbie doing his first Camino, and I’ve been doing practice hikes at home, trying different possibilities, so here are my thoughts:
I plan on using both. I bought an ultra-light trekking umbrella with a reflective outer surface and a black inside surface. It provides great shade and UV protection, which will probably be most needed in areas with few trees like the Meseta. I attach it to my backpack strap so I can still use my trekking poles. Having an umbrella means I don’t need to wear a hat and allows for the breeze to cool down my head. Wearing a hat in the heat makes the scalp sweat, eventually soaking the hat. Regardless, I will bring my wide brim hat (the soft, collapsible type) for several reasons: if it’s too windy, the umbrella will be more of a problem. If I’m walking in an awkward direction the umbrella might not give me enough shade do I might need something to shield my face/eyes. If it cools down in the evening, a hat will help you keep warm and looks nice. I’m balding and I already had pre-cancerous lesions, so it’s good practice to cover the head when out in the sun. So, at times the umbrella would be the best choice, at other times it’s best to have a hat.

I might change my opinions after I do my first Camino next month…

Last edited:
I took a sun shirt for the first time in May great addition to my kit take lightweight hat as well; helps with sun, the hood on the hoody and the hood on a jacket or poncho!
Lightweight hands free umbrella but i lost part of my hands free clip before i left!
So got some reusable lightweight Velcro cable ties from Amazon worked really well and did the job i took 6 and used all of them in the end for various thing and surprisingly very strong.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
"If you're ever in Mexico proper,
And you're wearing a straw hat or topper,
When the band starts to play, call a copper,
'Cause by now you should know
That they'll grab your chapeau, and they'll stomp on it till it's quite flat,
Because Mexicans' dance on your hat,
And that's that!....."

In Spain a hat is probably useful and seldom under threat.

I was thinking of situations where an umbrella wouldn't work, other than when its really windy. And the one that springs to mind is when you take your coffee and breakfast (or lunch) and sit outside a cafe. Sometimes there is cover, sometimes there isn't.
I would seem that having an umbrella up might be tricky when sitting at a table with others, or close to a building. Depends I guess on whether you want to keep the sun off your head at all times.

(I wear a hat).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Okay so my two cents: I used a hat to wear under the hood of my poncho, to keep the rain out of my face (and glasses) I found the hat very handy in sunny and windy weather, to protect my forehead and nose from burning and keep the sun out of my eyes. In not-so-windy and sunny conditions I adored my handsfree umbrella.
So I'd recommend to take them both.

In case you don't already know, this hands free umbrella kit from Six Moon Designs has proven to be easy, simple and useful. They are a small shop in the US that make ultralight backpacking and thru-hiking gear. Link is to their site. I have also seen these listed on US Amazon site, but not the one in Canada, so unsure if they can ship to you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I carry an umbrella for the sun (and rain) - but don't always use it for some very practical reasons. For example wind, or a narrow path can make an umbrella difficult.
So some sort of alternative headcovering is probably recommended- whether a hat, bandana, scarf, buff, a t-shirt draped or wrapped up into a turban, but a plan is needed if the umbrella isn't feasible in particular conditions.
Truthfully I have a hat that I use earlier in the day as I get fed up carrying the umbrella for 6 hours even if it attached to my pack and thus handsfree. Two or three hours is fine with the umbrella then I start to get frustrated with the set-up.

If you’re walking with poles, which I recommend, it would be most difficult to carry an umbrella. The sun and the heat can be intense in Spain which you should plan for. For me, a hat is a must item in my kit. An umbrella, not so much. Buen Camino!
Not difficult at all.
You fix the Umbrella to the pack straps.

I also carry a soft hat with a brim for the times when an umbrella is not required.
I never walk without one or the other.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In Australia, I wear a beanie in winter and a sunhat in spring, summer and autumn. I take both on the Camino. I cannot believe how many people on this forum are suggesting otherwise!

I think for some of us, skin health is a much higher priority.
Particularly if fair skinned.
Melanoma! (skin cancer is a serious issue)
In Australia I'll burn within 15-20 mins in Summer!
It's a big health thing here with lots of reminders'

Hence we have campaigns like Slip, Slop, Slap. (an old one)
Slip on a shirt
Slop on some sunscreen
Slap on a hat

When walking on Camino I'm almost totally covered.
Wide brimmed hat (or Umbrella)
Long sleeved shirt
If really harsh sun (gloves)
Long pants

Plus sunscreen on exposed skin.

This was on my first Camino. (no umbrella)
I now take more care and no longer get sun burnt.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks!
Yes indeed. I wore a trilby and it became a real memento on the journey. I started in March and wore it until late April then bought a wide brim hat for more coverage. I bought it in one of the many Chinese Shops you'll find in the bigger towns. I bought one which I could easily fold away when not in use...but due to living in Australia and having had many skin cancers removed from my face and body I am use to wearing a hat. If you have an umbrella I guess that too would suffice, I didn't use one so can't say much about umbrellas but I know a fold up big floppy hat works...all the very best on your Camino :)

Just curious how you avoid sunburn.
Do you rely on sunblock?
@Robo I did say afterwards that I like my hat. 😉
I use a wide brimmed hat and yes I was applying SPF50 throughout the day
I would usually start around 6:00 am and tried to be done by 2:00 pm the latest (although I did miss the mark couple of times)
Any time I stopped for a break I reapplied
No issues no sunburns
I also used a large square kerchief to protect my neck usually after 10:00 am; just out it over my head and put my hat over it

Attachments

• FindPenguinsfindpenguins_camera_160622-123722.jpg
    FindPenguinsfindpenguins_camera_160622-123722.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
(Edited to Add to the Silliness.)

I have just completed testing of Head Sack performance and have a few observations I can share. The Moderators do have my OK if the want to pin it as a 'sticky note' in the Equipment Section of the Forum.

Head Sack Evaluation and Recommendations.

I use velcro on the top of the neck and the base of the head for a quick, yet secure, disconnect and reconnection.. I tend to reconnect when entering villages and towns; the thumping-around noise which the head makes in my backpack -- as it rolls around -- can annoy the townspeople.

I found that the self-sticking adhesive on some kinds of velcro is convenient for a quick method of applying the velcro. However, it did need some additional help with an attachment supplement. I used staples, and found that the heavy-duty gauge of staples that are used for binding together larger stacks of papers seems to be working the best.

I decided that what was needed was a reliable method to breath, yet to maintain a good level of motion-control for my head inside the backpack to prevent it from rolling around yet still allowing for quick accessibility for change-overs. Then I realized that I needed to move my head to the outside of my backpack to allow for quick access for change-overs.

Fortunately, a few gear manufacturers have developed some great looking and performing Head Sacks. They usually come equipped with adjustable velcro straps sewn to the back of the Head Sack.

I had tried a few Z(ombie)packs ultralight, nylon-weave, non-waterproof Head Sacks. I then tested the stuff sack-head combination for both ease of access, and for head-rolling motion-control. I did this by attaching the sacks to the waistbelt or shoulder harness with adjustable velcro loops I had attached to the back of the stuff sacks.

PRO: Once attached to the backpack, the location and proximity of the drawstring openings of the stuff sacks allowed for an easy reach. Access was very quick for either the insertion or retrieval of my head. PLUS, I found that I could actually breath fairly well due to the weave of the nylon fabric.

CONS: Even though the sacks were tightly secured to the backpack itself, the stuff sacks could still slightly sway and swing as the result of both my body's movements as well as the slight movements of the Head Sacks themselves. So while my head would remain securely in place within the Head Sack, the sack could slightly sway allowing for minimal thumping and bumping against the hipbelt or shoulder straps. This simultaneously gave me headaches and motion sickness. Ibuprofen seemed to help deal with headaches, but anti-motion sickness medication made my body too sleepy to walk a straight line.

A local Priest is still getting over the shock of my headless body laying down in the shade of the locked church doors, fast asleep from the sedative effects of the Dramamine. Fortunately, my head was able to awaken enough to explain why I was laying there, and how the Head Detachment system functioned.

Recommendation:
  1. The most important steps in choosing a good Head Sack is to determine its degree of breathability as well as the correct Fit-N-Feel that it has around your head.
  2. Using a few simple guidelines, you need to spend a bit of time carefully attaching it to either the shoulder straps or hipbelt. Taking your time while exerting a bit of patience will give you a big payoff in comfort and usability of your new Head Sack.
  3. While Sales Associates may be able to help with adjustments if you purchase at a brick and mortar store like an REI, I find that by taking my time and following some simple guidelines I can achieve even better results.
Final Thoughts: There are many folks who do not have a good outdoors store from which to purchase a backpacking Head Sack. So while I support always shopping local to support the local community, it is not always possible. In such cases, do not fret. You can easily achieve the same results for fitting and attaching a Head Sack using an online source for a purchase. In such cases, please make sure that the online store's policies allow for returns.
Oh dearest @davebugg ...you have too much time on your hands! 🤣
As must I for reading it... 🤭😇
👣🌏

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are in your teens or your twenties, possibly early thirties, you might be able to get by without a hat, but beyond a certain age, which varies between individuals, you really do need one. For me, I was 35 when it became a need. It doesn't just protect your head, it keeps the rain out of your eyes, and it shades your eyesight from glare, and helps protect your eyes.

Thanks for the comments. Have bought a hat from Decathlon. Will report back after I do the Camino in late August on whether I have abandoned the hat (and the pro-hatters should reimburse me 10 euros) or not.
Also, because I am not completely insane, I will be wearing sunglasses for the glare.

Thanks!
Hello! As you might have guessed, our family loves hiking umbrellas. We got the nickname from other pilgrims on the Camino.

We just finished the Camino Frances on July 14, and we each carried a hiking umbrella. We opted not to use trekking poles, and looking back, we are even more convinced it was the right decision for us. Don’t get me wrong, on some days we wished we had trekking poles. But between the two, if I had to pick one, I would choose my hiking umbrella again and again. (For Camino Frances, I should say.)

For your reference, we started on June 11 from St. Jean Pied de Port. It rained most of the day. We arrived at Santiago on July 14. Our longest distance was 33 km a day, but on average, we did about 25 km a day.

We used our umbrellas EVERY SINGLE DAY. The hiking umbrellas not only block the sun, they also absorb the rays reflected from the hot surface under your feet. They provide consistent shade, reduce the temperature for your head and upper body, and make it possible to walk long hours in warm weather. Yes, I use ‘warm’ rather than ‘hot’ because the impact of the sun is more potent than one might expect. I remember that on some days, the ambient temperature was only in the low 80s, but by 1 or 2 pm, after a few hours of walking, we felt exhausted. Bottom line is, when you’re walking long hours daily, you don’t need the temperature to reach the 90s before it zaps your energy.

As for hands-free options, I’ve seen YouTube videos about different cords you can get. The only question I have is how that might work in windy conditions or through narrow sections where you have to dodge tree branches and stuff. For us, we got the Six Moons full-size umbrellas, and found them quite easy to use. They weigh nothing, and we just stick them in the side pockets of our packs.

If you do decide to use a hiking umbrella, remember to use lots of sunblock on your legs, especially your lower calves. They get the most sun.

Buen Camino!

I am not completely insane, I will be wearing sunglasses for the glare

I think your point of view on what to wear/carry on the Camino may be a bit culturally biased.

Statistically, probably half of the people wear sunglasses, other half does not. I don't think half of the pilgrims are insane. They probably want to see the beautiful world around them as it is, not filtered in any way.
Almost everyone on the Camino in the summer wears a hat. Most people wear wide-brimmed hat. It protects both your ears from sunburn and your eyesight from glare. That's why many people don't wear sunglasses. I don't.
You can use water fountains to wet your hat, this keeps your head cool before the water dries out.

On the other hand, very, very few pilgrims use umbrellas on the Camino, either for rain or sun. Yes, you will see some people, but very, very few. If you see one person in 100 carrying an umbrella, you're in luck. But why? Well, who knows, maybe they don't want to look like Mary Poppins in their Instagram photos? Or like that guy two posts above? Ask them. Let me know. ;)

I think your point of view on what to wear/carry on the Camino may be a bit culturally biased.

Statistically, probably half of the people wear sunglasses, other half does not. I don't think half of the pilgrims are insane. They probably want to see the beautiful world around them as it is, not filtered in any way.
Almost everyone on the Camino in the summer wears a hat. Most people wear wide-brimmed hat. It protects both your ears from sunburn and your eyesight from glare. That's why many people don't wear sunglasses. I don't.
You can use water fountains to wet your hat, this keeps your head cool before the water dries out.

On the other hand, very, very few pilgrims use umbrellas on the Camino, either for rain or sun. Yes, you will see some people, but very, very few. If you see one person in 100 carrying an umbrella, you're in luck. But why? Well, who knows, maybe they don't want to look like Mary Poppins in their Instagram photos? Or like that guy two posts above? Ask them. Let me know. ;)
To be clear, the sunglasses are to prevent me from getting a headache from the glare and I would be insane for not bringing along a pair to address a known issue that I have.
As stated, this is my first Camino. I have no opinions about any equipment whatsoever.

Well if you have a medical condition in which sunglasses are needed, that's a different story.
I just thought you were calling me, and hundreds of others, "insane" just because we don't use sunglasses in summer.
Sorry about it. Misunderstanding.

I take a lightweight sun hoodie. I find it more convenient to put the hood up or take it off as needed for warmth or sun protection, rather than worry about stashing and finding a hat.
🤣 I am addicted to wearing lightweight hoodies in the intense sun for full protect, and black of all colours..

Thanks!
Oh grief yes!

I have just completed testing of Head Sack performance and have a few observations I can share. The Moderators do have my OK if they want to pin it as a 'sticky note' in the Equipment Section of the Forum.

My Head Detachment System (HDS) incorporates the use of wide velcro strips. One part of a velcro strip is attached to the Atlas bone of the craniocervical Junction (the top of my neck). The opposite part of the velcro strip is attached to the Occipital bone of the skull (the base of the head). This allows for a super quick but very secure, disconnect and reconnection of my head.

As a visitor to a different country, or when passing through a new location here in America. I want to be courteous as possible. Because my detached head makes an audible thumping-around noise when rolling around inside the backpack, my HDS allows me to reconnect my head to eliminate that to be a good guest in a that noise disturbance as a courtesy

I did find that the self-sticking adhesive on the back of some brands of velcro was convenient for a quick method of applying the velcro. However, the adhesive may loosen over time so I wanted a more secure and long-term attachment. Adding staples after verifying proper head-to-neck placement and centering was done did the trick. I found that heavy-duty gauges staples - which are common when binding together larger stacks of papers - seems to work best.

I tested Head Sacks manufactured by Aussie Ultralight, Zpacks, Osprey, Sea to Summit, Gossamer Gear, REI, Montane, Montbell, RAB, ULA, and Decathlon, among others. Most of the manufacturers used an ultralight, nylon-weave, non-waterproof material for their Head Sacks, a few used other fabrics.

I tested each Head Sack based on several Priorities discussed below. When testing the Head Sack for attachment methods to carry on the outside of a backpack, I looked at the ability to attach the Head Sacks to the waistbelt or the shoulder harness. Most manufacturers had attachments that utilized some variation of an adjustable velcro loop that was sewn to the back of the Head Sacks.

There were three priority issues I specifically looked at when testing Head Sack performance.

The First Priority: When my head was detached and kept inside the Head Sack, did I find it easy to take in air while breathing. That was an absolute must; if a manufacturer's Head Sack failed this test, it was immediately eliminated from further testing or consideration.

The Second Priority: How well did a Head Sack perform its reason for existence? Did the Head Sack exerting a high degree of motion-control for a head kept inside of a backpack? Is the head kept secure inside the Head Sack preventing it from rolling around?

The Third Priority: Did the Head Sack's design incorporate features which make it quick and easy to place a detached head inside the Head Sack? Was it quick and easy to retrieve the head from inside the Head Sack when needing to reattach the head to the neck?

It was during the Third Priority testing phase when I realized that for absolute quick and easy storage and retrievals of my head when it was detached, I needed to move the Head Sack to the outside of my backpack. This saves time by not requiring a Pilgrim to stop, remove the backpack, then search for the head inside the main compartment, then putting the backpack on again.

Fortunately, a good number of gear manufacturers have developed great looking and performing Head Sacks. They usually come equipped with adjustable velcro straps sewn to the back of the Head Sack allowing the Head Sack to be securely attached to the outside of the pack.

PRO: Once attached to the backpack, the location and proximity of the Head Sack's opening allowed for an easy reach. Access was very quick for either the insertion or the retrieval of my head. PLUS, I found that I could actually breath fairly well due to the weave of the nylon fabric.

CONS: Even though the sacks were tightly secured to the backpack itself, the stuff sacks could still slightly sway and swing as the result of both my body's movements as well as the slight movements of the Head Sacks themselves. So while my head would remain securely in place within the Head Sack, the sack could slightly sway allowing for minimal thumping and bumping against the hipbelt or shoulder straps. This simultaneously gave me headaches and motion sickness. Ibuprofen seemed to help deal with headaches, but anti-motion sickness medication made my body too sleepy to walk a straight line.

A humorous event occurred when I had taken Dramamine. A local parks department employee is still getting over the shock of my prone body laid down and fast asleep in the shade of a large Maple tree while my head was still detached. I was very sleepy from the sedative effects of the Dramamine. Fortunately, my head was able to rouse itself just enough to explain why I was laying there, and how my Head Detachment System (HDS) functioned.

Recommendation:
  1. The most important steps in choosing a good Head Sack is to determine its degree of breathability as well as the correct Fit-N-Feel that it has around your head.
  2. Using a few simple guidelines, you need to spend a bit of time carefully attaching it to either the shoulder straps or hipbelt. Taking your time while exerting a bit of patience will give you a big payoff in comfort and usability of your new Head Sack.
  3. While Sales Associates may be able to help with adjustments if you purchase at a brick and mortar store like an REI, I find that by taking my time and following some simple guidelines I can achieve even better results.
Final Thoughts: There are many folks who do not have a good outdoors store from which to purchase a backpacking Head Sack. So while I support always shopping local to support the local community, it is not always possible. In such cases, do not fret. You can easily achieve the same results for fitting and attaching a Head Sack using an online source for a purchase. In such cases, please make sure that the online store's policies allow for returns.
Glad to see the meds are working Dave 😇

For those without the means to self-decapitate then protection is available with the head in-situ

Foil Beanie

I think either a shady hat or a proper sun protection umbrella are fine. Both provide a cooling effect - I think the sun protection umbrella might provide a cooler space underneath than the hat.

A lot of Camino hikers might not be aware of hiking umbrellas. It’s not like you’ll need to clamber up boulders as the Camino is mostly well graded paths and footpaths so easy to bring an umbrella.

Thanks everyone, that was quick! I won't be carrying poles but will bring a poncho for rain. The umbrella is actually for the sun. Would it be possible to buy the umbrella bag clip from SJPdP? I could order it online but it might not get delivered in time.

Something to consider: I wasn't going to bring poles either, but after watching the excellent Camino videos by Efren. from Miami--"Walk with Efren" .--He had said it was a mistake not to take poles
especially going down some hills. For what it's worth.

ISG: for what it may be worth, I lived in Singapore (Holland Road) for nine years. I never wore a hat nor carried an umbrella during my time there. While the equatorial humidity can be oppressive, the sun and drier heat of Spain can be searing. You are walking on a high plateau of the Iberian Peninsula. I would leave the umbrella (parasol) behind and bring a broad brimmed safari type hat which can be folded up and put away on sunless days. Stay light and walk as unencumbered as possible.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Mary Poppins, here. I carry a UV umbrella, one trekking pole, and a lightweight hat of some sort -- baseball style or locally bought wide brimmed straw hat. I am always forgetting to put sunscreen on my ears and have some skin issues there. Buen Camino

Efren from "Walk with Efren' excellent videos said he regretted not taking poles for some of the steep hills.
For what it's worth.

I use a handsfree umbrella. I don't like wearing hats because they make me hotter. The umbrella provides shade for my head, face, and upper body.
Hi Trecile - Do you use a particular brand of umbrella or just a generic one? If a brand, can you please share?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A broad-brimmed hat of the "bucket style" is useful for shade. However, if you experience heat stroke or sun stroke symptoms, or if it is just HOT, consider the evaporative cooling aspects of soaking your bucket hat in a fuente (fountain) or under a hose, then wearing it. The evaporating water will cool your heat a LOT.

I would NEVER walk a Camino from Spring until late autumn without a bucket style (or Tilley brimmed) hat. During the winter months, you can get away with a ball cap. The ball cap is better when worn under a poncho hood. The brim keeps the rain or snow off your eyewear.

But in the bright sunny and hot Spanish sun, a broad brimmed hat, that can be soaked and worn for cooling is the way to go - at least IMHO and experience.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks!
YES!!!

If you’re walking with poles, which I recommend, it would be most difficult to carry an umbrella. The sun and the heat can be intense in Spain which you should plan for. For me, a hat is a must item in my kit. An umbrella, not so much. Buen Camino!
There are umbrellas that attach to your pack belt and straps so you can use them and poles at the same time. Ivar sells one in his shop, which I've used.

If you are using one regularly, there isn't a need for a hat. Just note that there can be challenges with using such an umbrella all the time. They can restrict your field of vision (more than a handheld one that you naturally shift to be able to see where you want), and can be a challenge if it is windy or if there are trees or bushes encroaching on the trail.

Otherwise, the need for a hat isn't just about the heat but also about the sun, which can be strong, especially on some long stretches of various Camino routes.

You can always use tie-straps.

Messrs Crawley and Bugg, you remind me why the interminable hours spent on this damned Forum are ultimately worthwhile ;)
It's 29 degrees inside the house, 39 degrees in the sunroom, 31 degrees outside, I'm on a 24hr fast for a medical procedure and am as bored AF . . . .

Thanks!
If you have an umbrella, No

Hi Trecile - Do you use a particular brand of umbrella or just a generic one? If a brand, can you please share?
I have this handsfree trekking umbrella. It's never failed me.

It's flipped inside out in wind, but I've always been able to put it right. However in really strong winds I don't use it. It's heavier than some other trekking umbrellas, but the extra long handle and clip attachment make it very secure and sturdy. I rigged up a lighter weight umbrella one year, but it wasn't as secure, and then a rib snapped in the first strong wind.

Thanks!
Just make sure it is a hands free umbrella (there have been a posts about this in the past and recently I saw a post about a UV umbrella (with silver/white UV protection material on top, and black on the underside--you may need to buy a hands free adapter for about $10 US).
If you have an umbrella you shouldn't need a hat for sun protection.

My Head Detachment System (HDS) incorporates the use of wide velcro strips. One part of a velcro strip is attached to the Atlas bone of the craniocervical Junction (the top of my neck). The opposite part of the velcro strip is attached to the Occipital bone of the skull (the base of the head). This allows for a super quick but very secure, disconnect and reconnection of my head.

As a visitor to a different country, or when passing through a new location here in America. I want to be courteous as possible. Because my detached head makes an audible thumping-around noise when rolling around inside the backpack, my HDS allows me to reconnect my head to eliminate that to be a good guest in a that noise disturbance as a courtesy

I did find that the self-sticking adhesive on the back of some brands of velcro was convenient for a quick method of applying the velcro. However, the adhesive may loosen over time so I wanted a more secure and long-term attachment. Adding staples after verifying proper head-to-neck placement and centering was done did the trick. I found that heavy-duty gauges staples - which are common when binding together larger stacks of papers - seems to work best.

I tested Head Sacks manufactured by Aussie Ultralight, Zpacks, Osprey, Sea to Summit, Gossamer Gear, REI, Montane, Montbell, RAB, ULA, and Decathlon, among others. Most of the manufacturers used an ultralight, nylon-weave, non-waterproof material for their Head Sacks, a few used other fabrics.

I tested each Head Sack based on several Priorities discussed below. When testing the Head Sack for attachment methods to carry on the outside of a backpack, I looked at the ability to attach the Head Sacks to the waistbelt or the shoulder harness. Most manufacturers had attachments that utilized some variation of an adjustable velcro loop that was sewn to the back of the Head Sacks.

The First Priority: When my head was detached and kept inside the Head Sack, did I find it easy to take in air while breathing. That was an absolute must; if a manufacturer's Head Sack failed this test, it was immediately eliminated from further testing or consideration.

The Second Priority: How well did a Head Sack perform its reason for existence? Did the Head Sack exerting a high degree of motion-control for a head kept inside of a backpack? Is the head kept secure inside the Head Sack preventing it from rolling around?

The Third Priority: Did the Head Sack's design incorporate features which make it quick and easy to place a detached head inside the Head Sack? Was it quick and easy to retrieve the head from inside the Head Sack when needing to reattach the head to the neck?

It was during the Third Priority testing phase when I realized that for absolute quick and easy storage and retrievals of my head when it was detached, I needed to move the Head Sack to the outside of my backpack. This saves time by not requiring a Pilgrim to stop, remove the backpack, then search for the head inside the main compartment, then putting the backpack on again.

Fortunately, a good number of gear manufacturers have developed great looking and performing Head Sacks. They usually come equipped with adjustable velcro straps sewn to the back of the Head Sack allowing the Head Sack to be securely attached to the outside of the pack.

PRO: Once attached to the backpack, the location and proximity of the Head Sack's opening allowed for an easy reach. Access was very quick for either the insertion or the retrieval of my head. PLUS, I found that I could actually breath fairly well due to the weave of the nylon fabric.

A humorous event occurred when I had taken Dramamine. A local parks department employee is still getting over the shock of my prone body laid down and fast asleep in the shade of a large Maple tree while my head was still detached. I was very sleepy from the sedative effects of the Dramamine. Fortunately, my head was able to rouse itself just enough to explain why I was laying there, and how my Head Detachment System (HDS) functioned.

Recommendation:
As I have said before I appreciate your thorough evaluations of equipment which makes one’s decision of what to purchase so much easier! Especially in this case considering the careful treatment one’s head requires!

I have this handsfree trekking umbrella. It's never failed me.

It's flipped inside out in wind, but I've always been able to put it right. However in really strong winds I don't use it. It's heavier than some other trekking umbrellas, but the extra long handle and clip attachment make it very secure and sturdy. I rigged up a lighter weight umbrella one year, but it wasn't as secure, and then a rib snapped in the first strong wind.
As to the handsfree umbrella you use, Trecile, I use the same and managed to use it even in quite windy conditions by simply adding two elastics to fix it along the backpack’s strap(? can’t think of the word just now).

I also use a hat for a while before making up my mind to set up the umbrella or when there is a quick succession of change between sunshine and cloud.

Thanks!
Yes you should have a hat. I would also recommend poles. In 2022 I had an overuse proximal tibia stress fracture halfway across my tibia due to an intense hike in the Alps and 200 miles on my first stage of the Camino. My doctor told me that poles help to take the pressure off so now I won’t hike or walk the Camino without them!
This year I am starting in Pamplona on August 19 and will have a hat, umbrella and poles as I am expecting it to be pretty hot!

Recommendation:
I see you have tested all brands of Orujo, too. Doesn't the velcro get on your nerves?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks!
If you live in an equatorial climate, you know the dangers if the sun, especially if you are walking for hours. A lightweight foldable hat weighs nothing and takes no room. I live in northern Australia, I have learnt to treat the sun with respect. Good luck

A Buff has primary the same function as a hat, well it won’t protect your eyes. 😎 It is much lighter than a hat and on fountains you can soak it with water 💦 in order to cool your head.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.

€46,-
Thanks!
1721487070107.jpeg1721487070107.jpegHe wore a hat.

Thanks!
You could take both. I wear a hat to protect my eyes from glare, sunglasses are not enough. An umbrella is useful in a downpour but not when you are walking downhill on cobbles at a very steep gradient. As someone already mentioned not ideal if wanting a drink either from your rucksack or sat outside with a chilled beer. Umbrellas block your view! Take poles instead, good for warding off dogs, cows and the odd pig!

I walked the Portuguese in May into June this year. I never wear hats and did not bring one. Fortunately I was walking with friends, many of who brought 2-3 hats. The first few days of the Camino, I noticed my eyes were irritated and very red. I realized that the very intense sun was getting through the sides of my sunglasses and hurting my eyes. I borrowed a baseball cap with a big brim and it totally changed my experience. My eyes returned to normal and all irritation gone.

The last few days into Santiago were in early June. It was in the low to mid 80’s. The intensity of the sun was much greater than I am ukases to. I am a convert and believe wearing a hat is very important. I walked with 2 poles so an umbrella would not have worked for me.

Buen Camino!

you can be used to heat when you’re from Singapore, and use an umbrella there. But do you walk 20 km (or more) in Singapore holding an umbrella all the time?! . I think your arms and shoulders will get very tired and sore.
I hate hats, but when walking I do wear one that also covers my neck, and sometimes sunglasses too. Would recommend taking one
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0127.jpeg
    IMG_0127.jpeg
    713.3 KB · Views: 18
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
Thanks!
i am fair skinned and sunburns are very concerning to me as I burn easily. I walked in late spring and found the sun can be relentess. I wore the Sun Runner Cap from Outdoor Research and thought it was amazing - super lightweight and it protects your neck from the sun when using the attachable cape. Many pilgrims expressed interest in buying one when they saw me wearing it; one guy even asked me if he could have mine once I departed.

Here’s a link: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/products/sun-runner-cap-300299?variant=46252735529281

As an aside, I did not bring an umbrella. I did not want the weight of one, but I did bring rain pants which I would bring again.

Buen Camino!

Thanks!
As long as we’re veering off course, I’ve seen all sorts of umbrellas, things that look like a buggy cover and buffs, all of which will keep the sun off but none of them make a Camino fashion statement quite like a hat.

1721505229195.png

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for the comments. Have bought a hat from Decathlon. Will report back after I do the Camino in late August on whether I have abandoned the hat (and the pro-hatters should reimburse me 10 euros) or not.
Also, because I am not completely insane, I will be wearing sunglasses for the glare.
Delighted to see your reply. Do give feedback after the event, and buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Now that's just plain silly.
The Rice Cooker hangs off the bottom of the pack. :rolleyes:
Yeah, most of us have 0 clue how to cook rice on a stove since rice is a staple and rice cookers are therefore considered standard kitchen appliances. Wouldn't be surprised if someone has actually brought along a 1 cup rice cooker.

Yeah, most of us have 0 clue how to cook rice on a stove since rice is a staple and rice cookers are therefore considered standard kitchen appliances. Wouldn't be surprised if someone has actually brought along a 1 cup rice cooker.
We saw a group of Korean pilgrims a few years ago. One was the designated rice cooker carrier.

I did want to include Robo's piece... can you imagine hanging this off the end of your backpack?

1721672834813.jpeg

I used Velcro.

Thanks!
Hello. I would bring a hat. You may want it to wear around town, etc.

I was in Singapore for a few days last year. I didn't want to leave. It's so beautiful and friendly. I hope you have a great Camino experience.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So I've walked around a bit and here's a review of hat vs umbrella

Hat: It's hands free and great for reducing glare when it's a bit cool but very bright. I used it a lot while walking around Guildford and RHS Garden Wisley in the past week.

Umbrella: Not hands free but far better against the sun and the 34 deg c afternoon heat in Athens earlier today. Protects your arms and shoulders.

Will be doing sunblock+hat+umbrella+sunglasses while in Athens. Good God it's hot.

Well, first: thanks for feedback, people do take trouble to offer suggestions and it is nice to get an echo. I must remember that myself!😈
You can also douse your hat and that should help to cool the head as well. You'll soon, be off, go safely.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks!
No. If you have an umbrella, you’ll be ok. (Imo!)

Thanks!
Do you have a lot of hair? No hat is possible.

I know I'm a little late here, but you can put the umbrella under your chest strap, then use a carabiner or straps or something to stablize on either one of your straps or your hip belt (or both). It's pretty easy to set it up to be hands-free.

Do you have a lot of hair? No hat is possible.
Found a cheap compressible that has room for a ponytail in lots of colors.. but, Temu shop less than 3 euros quality is really not guaranteed, no crisis to leave or replace then. At FC there are shops with different hats everywhere.
Bilde1.png

Almost time!
Hat? Glasses? Umbrella?
Whatever, nothing in that list weighs a lot. I need to run now, but in case I miss your start off, muy buen camino....

I've finally got a definitive answer - bring both.
Walked from Roncesvalles to Larrasoaña today. Got to the albergue at 2.30pm and the umbrella was really helpful for all the hot exposed stretches after Zubiri. Even got the thumbs up from a Spanish couple when I walked past.

The hat will prevent the umbrella spokes from tangling with your hair.

Thanks!
Better hat than umbrella.
Too much walking to carry an umbrella.

Something to consider: I wasn't going to bring poles either, but after watching the excellent Camino videos by Efren. from Miami--"Walk with Efren" .--He had said it was a mistake not to take poles
especially going down some hills. For what it's worth.
I hike in France and walked the Camino Frances…hiking poles, in my opinion are a necessity. Umbrellas, hats are a must for 38C heat.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If in doubt, as in most "maybe I might need it" things, buy it over there as needed.
Plenty of shops in Spain! The camino provides. It might not be your favorite brand, but It will do the job.
You might have to "suffer" to the next town/shop, but that's life, its not meant to be easy all the time.

My story...2 portugese caminos..one in May, quite sunny then.
Not a hat person myself, but I so see how they are handy. Picked a tourist cap before starting my first camino. Next camino, the velcro stopped working a few days in, so tossed it and made do without, on the lookout for a replacement over next few days. Was kindly gifted a spare hot pink golf visor on the trail by a friendly French pilgrim, that lasted the rest of the walk. The camino provides. But if that hadn't happened, I was prepared to go shopping.

Umbrellas may be useful, and can even be found in places like supermarkets or china "bargain," shops, not the fanciest but they'd do.

Concerned about back of neck protection? My tip, wear a collared polo tee/shirt, and flip up the collar.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

For the past six years, I have used a 33 L Osprey backpack, which has been fine, but it is always fully packed. I thoroughly understand that nature abhors a vacuum, so any available space in a bag...
Hi all The time is finally nearly here. On Sept 15th I'll be arriving in SJPDP to start the Camino. At the moment, the only thing I have to sleep in is a liner. Now that's it's getting a bit...
Hey everyone. My wife and I are flying next Saturday and starting the Ingles on Tuesday. We think we've got everything we need. I'm posting this here to see if there are any glaring mistakes in...
Hello, We are planning on doing the Porto coastal route in the next week or two. We are flying from the west coast in the US. I've read many threads on phone service. There was one really great...
Good evening fellow pilgrims. I've been searching for an embroidered patch of a Camino symbol to add to my hat. Just looking for either a simply scallop shell or arrow only without any writing ...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.