• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Distance traveled by boat from foz de minho to Spain

cjhikes

Time of past OR future Camino
May 11 to June 22, 2023
Distance traveled by boat from foz de minho to Spain? Anyone know how many kilometers

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Distance traveled by boat from foz de minho to Spain? Anyone know how many kilometers
Depending on where you want to go to.
If you want to cross the river to the opposite bank it is less than one km
Remember we crossed once from there to Camposancos , it was 5 minutes with a fisherman’s boat. From there it is a pleasant 3 km walk A Guarda

I'm sure Godgle Earth or Maps or even Rome2rio would give you a figure but there's so many variables depending on which boat you get with which skipper and which way the tides flowing: but 1km - 2km depending on the previous. It still counts towards your Compostela, so no worries :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
La distance en bateau de Foz de Minho à l'Espagne dépendra de la destination spécifique en Espagne. Foz de Minho, également connue sous le nom de Foz do Rio Minho, est située à l'embouchure du fleuve Minho (Miño) au Portugal, près de la frontière avec l'Espagne.

Pour voir de plus près :

Foz de Minho à A Guarda : A Guarda est une ville espagnole située juste de l'autre côté de la frontière. La distance en ligne droite est d'environ 2 à 3 kilomètres, mais en bateau, la distance peut être légèrement plus longue selon l'itinéraire exact emprunté le long du fleuve et de la côte.

Foz de Minho à Vigo : Vigo est une grande ville espagnole située plus au nord le long de la côte. La distance en ligne droite est d'environ 30 à 35 kilomètres, mais là encore, la distance réelle en bateau pourrait être plus longue en fonction de la route maritime empruntée.

Foz de Minho à Baiona : Baiona est une autre destination côtière en Espagne, à environ 20 à 25 kilomètres en ligne droite de Foz de Minho.

Ces distances sont approximatives en ligne droite et peuvent varier en fonction des conditions de navigation et des itinéraires spécifiques empruntés par le bateau.

I'm sure Godgle Earth or Maps or even Rome2rio would give you a figure but there's so many variables depending on which boat you get with which skipper and which way the tides flowing: but 1km - 2km depending on the previous. It still counts towards your Compostela, so no worries :)
The counting of the Compostela starts in Vigo what is about 60 kms away

La distance en bateau de Foz de Minho à l'Espagne dépendra de la destination spécifique en Espagne. Foz de Minho, également connue sous le nom de Foz do Rio Minho, est située à l'embouchure du fleuve Minho (Miño) au Portugal, près de la frontière avec l'Espagne.
Foz in Portuguese ( and Galego) is the whole place where a river flows into the sea, in this case the river Minho/ Miño. So the specific point of the Foz in Portugal should be stated too because the Foz is quite big.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In case of the Caminho da Costa it is supposed that once arriving in Caminha and intending to cross the Minho river , pilgrims go to the restaurant where the fishermen meet and pick up them for the crossing to the other (Spanish ) side of the river.
There is no other alternative others than to walk to the international bridge nearby Vila Nova de Cerveira , a detour of about 30 kms .
The Transbordador, the ferry is not sailing anymore due to all kinds of problems so happily there are the fishermen and I thought some so called watertaxis . With the last I have no experience but reading this forum I know they should exist.

The fishermen- as is my personal experience- take the shortest ride from the quay nearby the restaurant - we , by then started at the beach nearby - and they put you off at the otherside between the Atlantic ocean where the river ended up , the so called Foz do Minho and Camposancos what was the landing of the Transbordador.
And when we crossed I took a video of the crossing and that took about 5 minutes and was quite hilarious . By then we paid 5€ each .
From the landings place it was a nice walk along the ocean to A Guarda , about 3 kms.

Annexed a map of it. The red line is the connection by boat and walking to the waymarked caminho path to A Guarda .The yellow line is the route of the former Transbordador .

Writing this all I remembered the story . We did the full Costal in 2015 and in Moledo just before Caminha two sisters from Switzerland who walked with us up to Baiona were approached by a man on a bicycle He asked if we were crossing the river . Yes we did. The ferry does not sail he said. It is broken and the river is too shallow now.
Oh ! And now ? You have to walk to Vila Nova de Cerveira where you can cross the river by the bridge.
But I have a solution for you all. Come to my house in Caminha I have a nice stamp for your credentials and tell you what to do.
So we went to his place, got the stamp and he called Mario a fisherman and told him he had four “customers “ ( he did not know I speak Portuguese so I could follow the complete discussion) I became suspicious because what if the Transbordador should sail. The fare was 5 € each while the ferry costed 2 € each.
Anyway. At the end it seemed that the Transbordador indeed did not sail but during the crossing I turned my head to be assured that the Transbordador did not sail.😊
By then during more than 2 years the Transbordador did not sail and for the fishermen it was an extra income to set pilgrims over . The man with the bicycle must have received commission for every pilgrim he called Mario and collegues.
No problem. It was very clever .
Later in 2018 the Transbordador was sailing .we saw it while walking to Valença by the Ecopista path.

Attachments

• IMG_0970.jpeg
    IMG_0970.jpeg
    411.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

A short but pleasant article about a pilgrim’s experience on a guided Camino trip. Some nice pics. https://apple.news/A0DsWcRwMRPWU42vxrhl10g
Sign a little west of Pamplona:
Hey everyone… I just want to check with you about a very strange situation I just had… or there is an explanation for that… It was 11:15 am (10 min ago) and I was at La Portela de Vlacarce. Small...
Why do they put the kilometer markers where they do, for example 301.1 km, and as 300km was over an hours walk away, are these people messing with my mind
If you have given thought to begin or end your Camino in Barcelona--Tourist taxes and a ban on Short Term Rentals...
Dont question the why.. The reasons are a million or more than the stars in the sky Its simply you were needed"there" at that point in time and place Fate and destiny Shrug and sigh Whats it all...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.