• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Combination of Portuguese Routes in 10 days?

lbobregon

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2025
I will be walking my first Camino solo next April (2025), and was thinking I would walk the Portuguese way simply because I keep reading about how crowded Sarria to Santiago is (and that had been my initial plan). I am trying to figure out a way where I could walk some of the Senda Litoral along the ocean and then "skip" a stage and/or cross over to the coastal or central routes in order to complete it in 10 walking days. I have a really tight timeline as I am an educator and can't be away from school any longer than that.

I've been doing a lot of reading of various blogs and posts and am trying to cobble together a great plan, but can't land on one. Any advice or ideas would be so appreciated!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
First, I agree with you that I, too, would choose walking the Portuguese over the Francés starting in Sarria. Having walked both the Central and Coastal routes let me suggest how I would combine the two if I wanted to get something from both. With 10 days available to walk, I’d begin in Caminha and go up the coast to Vigo. From there, cut in to the Central and meet up with it in Redondela. Just after Pontevedra, I’d suggest taking the Variante Espiritual which will again bring you back to the coast at Vilanova de Arouza where you can catch a boat to Padron and then finish your walk on up to SdC. As I count how we walked these stages, it would take 9 days. If you do have an extra day at the end, take a bus over to Finisterre. Bom Caminho!

First, I agree with you that I, too, would choose walking the Portuguese over the Francés starting in Sarria. Having walked both the Central and Coastal routes let me suggest how I would combine the two if I wanted to get something from both. With 10 days available to walk, I’d begin in Caminha and go up the coast to Vigo. From there, cut in to the Central and meet up with it in Redondela. Just after Pontevedra, I’d suggest taking the Variante Espiritual which will again bring you back to the coast at Vilanova de Arouza where you can catch a boat to Padron and then finish your walk on up to SdC. As I count how we walked these stages, it would take 9 days. If you do have an extra day at the end, take a bus over to Finisterre. Bom Caminho!

Thank you! Any advice for someone who can’t do the Variante Espiritual due to horrible motion sickness on boats? That’s the only piece of this plan I wouldn’t be able to do, unfortunately.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Thank you! Any advice for someone who can’t do the Variante Espiritual due to horrible motion sickness on boats? That’s the only piece of this plan I wouldn’t be able to do, unfortunately.
You can either do the VE and walk the final day instead of the boat (although I have heard this is not a great walk), or just skip the VE and walk the regular route from Pontevedra.

You can either do the VE and walk the final day instead of the boat (although I have heard this is not a great walk), or just skip the VE and walk the regular route from Pontevedra.
I've done the walk from Arousa to Padron/Pontecesures twice in 2022 (one going, one coming back). It's 30+km day with no arrows, you have to follow the apps. So I agree.

Does anyone think I'd be missing something big if I start in Caminha? Is there a reason I would want to do the Senda Litoral out of Porto for a day and then train up to somewhere along the way? Or would starting in Caminha give me enough "coastal" time/scenery?

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Does anyone think I'd be missing something big if I start in Caminha? Is there a reason I would want to do the Senda Litoral out of Porto for a day and then train up to somewhere along the way? Or would starting in Caminha give me enough "coastal" time/scenery?
If you have an extra day to add to a Caminha start, rather than doing a day from Porto and then taking transport to Caminha, I'd just start at Viana do Castelo and walk the stage from there to Caminha. If you take the Litoral that day, there are mills on the coast at the beginning, beaches later, and a nice forest alternative path (details on Gronze) coming into Caminha.

I agree with Nick, @jungleboy. Viana do Castelo is quite nice and the walk out of it on the Senda Litoral. It makes for a long day if you do the forest alternative (much nicer!) all the way into Caminha, but you can always stay on the penninsula at the Camping Orbitor and get the Taxi Boat Peregrinos from there across the Minho river, missing Caminha altogether. That would shave off not quite 2 km for the almost 30 km day. If you'd like to see more detail on this, my website for this stage covers it very well: click here. Good luck and happy planning!

We just walked Porto to Labruge (Coastal) then taxi from there to Barcelos on the Central, and walked it all the way to Santiago. Worked out nicely in 10 days. I would not miss the first stage out of Porto by the river to meet the Ocean.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another route to consider: Santiago to Finisterre (89km) to Muxia (30 km) and back to Santiago (89 km) is delightful without the crowds and meets the 100km requirement for your compostela. This walk was a delightful surprise as you don't hear a lot about it.

After walking Camino Frances and running into the crowds from Sarria to Santiago, I was thrilled to be back on what 'felt like' the Camino walking on to Finesterre - fewer people, lovely landscape. Don't be fooled, this is not a flat trek...
I met folks from Ireland and Scotland who come to do this section for their holiday.

The downside of this walk is we saw very few churches along the way as compared to walking the French Way.

Excellent suggestion, we just finished the Coastal from Porto and did the spiritual portion as you mentioned. We did the entire walk in 13 days and spent a couple extra days in Santiago. So your suggestion would definitely work for a 10 day adventure.
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I did this with my wife a few years ago
Porto to Viana do Castelo (4 Days)
Train to Valenca
Valenca to Santiago (6 Days)
It is doable but you will have to be strict with your days and pull a few long days.

We just walked Porto to Labruge (Coastal) then taxi from there to Barcelos on the Central, and walked it all the way to Santiago. Worked out nicely in 10 days. I would not miss the first stage out of Porto by the river to meet the Ocean.
How far it is from Porto to Labruge?

In my opinion, the first day out of Porto along the river and then the coast ranks in my top 5 favorite walks on all the caminos I've ever walked. Like it is beautiful and there are cafes on the beach and stuff.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello All! I am a nervous first timer trying the first hike on CF from September 24-28, flying from NY area to Paris. Original plan was SJPDP to Pamplona, but then heard it will be rainy during...
I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong group. Feel free to move my post. I have walked 7 caminos, always in Spain (well, max 50k in France), the country I love. At the end of october/start of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back