Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carrión de los Condes - floral carpet tomorrow

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Anyone fortunate enough to be passing through Carrión de los Condes tomorrow is likely to encounter huge crowds and a spectacular sight. The town makes a patterned carpet of flowers up to 2km long for its annual Corpus Christi procession. The ayuntamiento have a number of videos capturing this very colourful event. Would love to be there to see it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
carrion-nuns-jpg.82256

I was fortunate to walk past a beautiful finished floral carpet on my recent Camino Sanabres in Ourense. It was so vibrant and colorful and had a tent canopy and a simple fence surrounding it.
Screenshot_20240601-062558~2.png
P.S. This was on Sunday, May 5th...I wonder if it was made for a special holiday.🤔

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Anyone fortunate enough to be passing through Carrión de los Condes tomorrow is likely to encounter huge crowds and a spectacular sight. The town makes a patterned carpet of flowers up to 2km long for its annual Corpus Christi procession. The ayuntamiento have a number of videos capturing this very colourful event. Would love to be there to see it!

We saw a very similar carpet in Sarria in 2017 also for Corpus Christi.

Attachments

• IMG_0810.jpeg
    IMG_0810.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0811.jpeg
    IMG_0811.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Yes, Carrión on Corpus Christi is a real treat. This was 2022.

Attachments

• IMG_5783.mov
    152.1 MB
  • IMG_5784.mov
    168 MB
  • IMG_5785.mov
    134.6 MB
  • IMG_5786.mov
    132.6 MB
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh WOW!! Dang it! Now I have to plan a Camino around one of these events!

What great pictures. Just to say that many towns and villages in Portugal follow the same tradition. I’ve come across several, and it is usually part of a bigger operation — a few people working on the flowers, others cooking food, transporting bags of petals, etc. In my experience, the local people are happy to have outsiders enjoy their traditions.

Lots of observations come to mind about reverence, devotion, dedication, fleeting humanity, impermanence...… how lucky to see these spectacular floral displays that take days to make and minutes to be crushed. Sort of like sand mandalas, seems to me, though I say that with no real understanding of Tibetan Buddhism.

And I agree with Chrissy that it would be great to see some more pictures!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Lavacolla to Santiago de Compostela: 8.8 miles, 14.1 Km* * longer than expected because of trying to find the Monte do Gozo statues in the fog. Well, I did it! I walked EVERY SINGLE STEP from St...
I walked from Navarrete to Nájera on 27 June this year. I got to the Albergue Najerino about 3 o'clock and went to look around the Monastery of Santa María la Real. My last photo there was taken...
Outside of cafe on route to Portamarin. Location: A Parrocha. personal phone number removed. Please send private message to claim.
Bon jour! Hola! Hello! Having recently passed through the CdS French route from Orisson to Ronconsavalles, I was deeply disappointed to see a huge mass of trash on this sacred way. I am...
I just finished my journey from SJPP to Santiago yesterday, what a great experience! Started 22 Aug, and was hoping to continue on to Fisterra, but with bad weather in the forecast for the next...
Something puzzles me why do people fly to Pamplona then travel back to SJPP would Biarritz be more logical ? then train from Bayonne.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.