This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Carrión de los Condes - floral carpet tomorrow

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Anyone fortunate enough to be passing through Carrión de los Condes tomorrow is likely to encounter huge crowds and a spectacular sight. The town makes a patterned carpet of flowers up to 2km long for its annual Corpus Christi procession. The ayuntamiento have a number of videos capturing this very colourful event. Would love to be there to see it!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I was fortunate to walk past a beautiful finished floral carpet on my recent Camino Sanabres in Ourense. It was so vibrant and colorful and had a tent canopy and a simple fence surrounding it.

P.S. This was on Sunday, May 5th...I wonder if it was made for a special holiday.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We saw a very similar carpet in Sarria in 2017 also for Corpus Christi.

Attachments

• IMG_0810.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0811.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Yes, Carrión on Corpus Christi is a real treat. This was 2022.

Attachments

• IMG_5783.mov
    152.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5784.mov
    168 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5785.mov
    134.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5786.mov
    132.6 MB · Views: 0
Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Oh WOW!! Dang it! Now I have to plan a Camino around one of these events!

What great pictures. Just to say that many towns and villages in Portugal follow the same tradition. I’ve come across several, and it is usually part of a bigger operation — a few people working on the flowers, others cooking food, transporting bags of petals, etc. In my experience, the local people are happy to have outsiders enjoy their traditions.

Lots of observations come to mind about reverence, devotion, dedication, fleeting humanity, impermanence...… how lucky to see these spectacular floral displays that take days to make and minutes to be crushed. Sort of like sand mandalas, seems to me, though I say that with no real understanding of Tibetan Buddhism.

And I agree with Chrissy that it would be great to see some more pictures!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum