Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino with towns and villages

MaxHelado

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués 2022, 2023 & 2024; Frances 2023
I am wondering if the Camino del Norte is the next one for me.

I have walked the Portugues (more than once) and loved it. I am tempted to go back and walk it again.
I have walked the Frances but enjoyed it less - I struggled with too many people and, at times, long stretches between towns and villages.

I have come to the conclusion that the Caminos I most enjoy are those where I have the opportunity to interact with others and there are regular stop points where I can interact with local people, appreciate the architecture and the history or simply enjoy a cold beer.

Should the del Norte be next on my list?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola

It all depends on the season you are walking it.
Iv walked several Caminos and when I walked the Norte it was in March and April - 12 years ago - and there were not many people walking it, which was good for me.

The distance between Albergues and towns felt further apart than Frances or Portoguese, and ther ewas a lot of road walking.
But the ocean is fantastic and a lot of small willage and towns to enjoy - small boat rides - in all a different experience than Frances.

I took the Primitivo when I got to the fork and it was a very nice experience.
More people than Norte, but much less than Frances.

Dont take the Camino Madrid if you want to see other pilgrims - its a walk in solitude when I walked it in July 8 years ago.

I hope this helps a little, although I cant really give you any adivce.

Maybe think about changing the season you walk in to experience it in a new way.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Hola

It all depends on the season you are walking it.
Iv walked several Caminos and when I walked the Norte it was in March and April - 12 years ago - and there were not many people walking it, which was good for me.

The distance between Albergues and towns felt further apart than Frances or Portoguese, and ther ewas a lot of road walking.
But the ocean is fantastic and a lot of small willage and towns to enjoy - small boat rides - in all a different experience than Frances.

I took the Primitivo when I got to the fork and it was a very nice experience.
More people than Norte, but much less than Frances.

Dont take the Camino Madrid if you want to see other pilgrims - its a walk in solitude when I walked it in July 8 years ago.

I hope this helps a little, although I cant really give you any adivce.

Maybe think about changing the season you walk in to experience it in a new way.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo
Thank you. This helps me very much.
I've considered the Camino del Madrid and I can live with the idea of fewer pilgrims provided I can find contact with people in the towns and the villages.
But looking at Gronze it seems to me that the villages are few and far apart?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have walked the Frances but enjoyed it less - I struggled with too many people and, at times, long stretches between towns and villages.
I found the last part of this comment curious. I'm not sure there are many (any?) other routes with a higher frequency of villages than the Francés? Most routes I walk have far, far fewer villages.

I found the last part of this comment curious. I'm not sure there are many (any?) other routes with a higher frequency of villages than the Francés? Most routes I walk have far, far fewer villages.
Fair comment.
My experience was perhaps clouded by the number of other walkers but I found the Portugués more varied.
A purely subjective view perhaps?

I agree with Jungleboy. I think the Camino Frances offers many more (delightful) small towns/villages closer together than for sure, the Camino del Norte or the Primativo and certainly the Aragones and Mozarabes. If you are concerned about crowds, timing your Camino to lesser walked periods may help you. I prefer to walk in March or late September-October. No problema with crowds. Even the conga lines after Melide thin out "off season" and also later in the day.
Having said that, if you haven't yet walked the Camino del Norte, please do. You will be amazed at Basque hospitality, fabulous coastal scenery, and good food and friendly people everywhere. Avoid August though, it is crowded then and bring good rain wear. Buen Camino

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
I'm not sure there are many (any?) other routes with a higher frequency of villages than the Francés?
My experience was perhaps clouded by the number of other walkers but I found the Portugués more varied.
A purely subjective view perhaps?
Yes I think it is a subjective feeling. But then again I think all camino routes are subjective based on each person. There are advantages to each and every camino. When I first walked I do not think I could have handled a camino like the Via de la Plata or the Aragones or Vasco. I saw so few pilgrims. This year I will walk the Aragones, Madrid and walk the Coastal in Portugal. Now I love the feeling and tranquility and peace of the less traveled caminos. I am perfectly prepared to see no pilgrims on the Madrid. If I do hopefully it will be really nice. But I am really excited to walk on the Madrid. Years ago I would have had stress over it. Many kilometers walking over many years often changes a persons perspective and needs. Buen Camino.
Oh yea I walked the Norte but it was 6 years ago. I am sure it changed alot. I tagged along with some young pilgrims when they walked on the many variants that really took you off alot of the roads that the camino route puts you on. There are lots of posts here about the variants. Beautiful camino.

… I think the Camino Frances offers many more (delightful) small towns/villages closer together …
And for the original wish for more interaction, between Navarra and elsewhere, there are many small villages close to but not right on the “official” Camino. One local confronted me (in Spanish) with “I’ve not seen you before, You’re not from here!” But his demeanor changed to friendly when I told him in Spanish why I was approaching Igúzquiza. We then had a pleasant chat.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m fairly new to this forum and it has been VERY helpful preparing me and answering a multitude of questions prior to my 1st Camino. Currently, I have just completed Day 14 of the Norte which...
After a peaceful night at the beautiful Blai Blai Hostel in Zarautz, we were all awakened at 5:00am by a young man repacking his huge pack, in the middle of the floor, with his bunk light on...
I saw that someone mentioned recently having walked from Santander to Liencres on a coastal route. I am here in Santander and would like to take that route. I’m brand new to the Camino and to...
This is just a shot in the dark but if anyone starting on the Del Norte finds a New Zealand passport lost today (Saturday 14th September between Hendaye and Sebastian, please PM message me and...
At CSJ Alberque San Martin de Miraz. If yours, contact hospitaleros on 0034-982-830700 with your name and date if visit (from pilgrim passport) and we will arrange return.
I am currently walking the Camino del Norte and seem to have dropped a small brown sunglass case with sunglass clip inside. Somewhere between Castro-Urdiales and Laredo, by way of Liendo. It is in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back