• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Survey: Effects on Health, Wellbeing, Life Satisfaction, and Flourishing

jo–

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Fisterra, Portugués, San Salvador
Dear Forum Members,

I’m reaching out to invite those planning to walk the Camino de Santiago to participate in a research study aimed at exploring the effects of the Camino pilgrimage on health, well-being, life satisfaction, and overall flourishing.

This study involves a multi-part survey, with the initial survey taken before your pilgrimage, followed by a second survey upon completion, and a final one six months later. Your participation will provide valuable insights into understanding the medium-term impact of completing this journey.

I understand that survey requests can be met with skepticism, so I’ve included some details which I hope will offer transparency and build confidence in the study’s authenticity and academic purpose.

• Research Lead: The study is being conducted by Dr. B. Dorman, a professor at Fort Lewis College in Colorado, with whom I am collaborating to gather data, and conduct optional follow-up interviews.
  • Ethics Approval: The research has undergone a thorough ethics review and has been approved by the Institutional Review Board at Fort Lewis College. You can view permission to begin gathering data here.
  • Study Basis: The survey questions are inspired by a previous study and are modelled on the University of Pennsylvania’s Positive Psychology questionnaires, ensuring a robust and scientifically grounded approach.
  • Study Results: On completion of the research the final results will be published at caminostudy.com
Your participation is greatly appreciated, and we’re confident that the findings will contribute to a deeper understanding of the Camino’s impact. If you have any questions or need further information, please feel free to reach out.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Survey Link

Best regards,

Jo

Last edited:
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
There is a presumption in your introduction, and process, that the Camino is transformative.
My thoughts, exactly. This assumption likely has been built in to the survey. There may still be a valid survey, but only if such assumptions are clearly understood and stated at the start.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is a presumption in your introduction, and process, that the Camino is transformative. Presumably those whose experience is contrary will also be represented in your results?
Thank you! I have edited the text and removed the word "transformative".
I hope that by inviting people to respond to the initial survey before they embark on their journey we can gather the results of those who have a wide range of experiences.

All the best,

Jo

My thoughts, exactly. This assumption likely has been built in to the survey. There may still be a valid survey, but only if such assumptions are clearly understood and stated at the start.
Thank you for your thoughts. I appreciate the vigilance in maintaining integrity. My intent was to create a survey invitation that would resonate well with the community, and I regret that I missed the mark with that wording. Please rest assured that the survey questions themselves have been carefully reviewed to ensure neutrality and objectivity.

If you would like, I’d be more than happy to share the questions with you for your feedback. Feel free to send me a private message, and I’ll forward them to you.

All the best,

Jo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A query, not intended to be a niggle:

You ask for "those planning to walk" the camino to participate. I am unclear whether that includes (probably the majority of people on this forum) those who have already walked a camino (in parentheses: so very glad you don't, unlike many people who should know better, conflate "the Camino de Santiago" with "the Camino Francés"). Those of us who are recidivists are probably already aware of many of the effects (or otherwise) on our health, well-being, (wallets) etc. Is our participation sought?

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
@AlanSykes, thanks for the nudge. I guess I had concluded that I was excluded from this survey because I’ve already walked a few. You’ve reminded me that I’m planning another Camino for later this month. So I qualify as a planner even though I’m possibly disqualified by previous plans and the ways in which they unraveled.

I take personal comfort from the thought that, even well into my cups, I would be wary of surveying the membership of this forum other than from a distance and with fairly low powered binoculars 😉

A query, not intended to be a niggle:

You ask for "those planning to walk" the camino to participate. I am unclear whether that includes (probably the majority of people on this forum) those who have already walked a camino (in parentheses: so very glad you don't, unlike many people who should know better, conflate "the Camino de Santiago" with "the Camino Francés"). Those of us who are recidivists are probably already aware of many of the effects (or otherwise) on our health, well-being, (wallets) etc. Is our participation sought?
Hi @AlanSykes ,
Thanks for your question and the kind tone of your comment!
The survey is open to anyone who is planning to walk, whether they have walked once, many times, or never before.
With much appreciation,

Jo

When you ask about country of origin, is this the country you were born in, you nationality, or where you normally live?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When you ask about country of origin, is this the country you were born in, you nationality, or where you normally live?
Hi @Donna Sch ,
Thanks for the question!
Country of origin is broader than nationality. It can refer to where a person was born, where their family or ancestors are from, or the place they identify with culturally or ethnically. For some people (including myself) nationality doesn't fully capture their identity, while some people hold multiple nationalities. I chose to go with country of origin as it reflects identify rather than nationality (a legal term) or residency (the place where you normally live).

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Jo

In the Informed Consent document which must be agreed-upon to participate in the study, the participant of the survey must agree to a “coaching session” among other things. Please explain what this entails and why a “coaching session” would be included in a survey study.

Jo, I write this with much kindness and a head’s up. Your email address sent me to a website called CaminoTravelers providing services including: Camino planning, itinerary, follow-up, Coaching and creating community.
Your email address is listed as the only contact. In any research study it is best to disclose your affiliation to your business. The typical term used is declaring a Conflict of Interest. It doesn’t stop a research study or a survey, but it provides full disclosure to the participants who have a right to understand the affiliations of the researcher and how the gathered data may be impacted by bias and further how extremely personal participant data may be utilized.
I imagine there are many researchers, PhD’s and others well versed in the ethics, guidelines, shortcomings, and even pitfalls of research surveys on this forum who will note your affiliation to a Camino business aligned with a survey of this nature whether affiliated with a college or not. With kind regards.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
In the Informed Consent document which must be agreed-upon to participate in the study, the participant of the survey must agree to a “coaching session” among other things. Please explain what this entails and why a “coaching session” would be included in a survey study.
Hi @Brooklinn ,
Thank you for your question!

The research project offers three ways to participate: a survey in three parts (one before your walk, one after, and another six months later), an in-depth interview, and an optional coaching session. It's important to note that you are not required to participate in all of these activities. You can choose which parts you'd like to engage in, and your participation in each is entirely optional. You are merely invited to participate if you wish!

We combined these options into one consent form to simplify the process, rather than asking participants to sign multiple forms. Once you've signed the consent form, you can decide which activities you want to participate in and are free to skip any questions or sessions you prefer not to engage in.

The coaching session was included as an option so that, in the future, we can evaluate whether receiving additional support from a coach after completing the Camino has any impact on health, well-being, and life satisfaction.

I hope this clarifies things!

Best regards,
Jo

Jo, I write this with much kindness and a head’s up. Your email address sent me to a website called CaminoTravelers providing services including: Camino planning, itinerary, follow-up, Coaching and creating community.
Your email address is listed as the only contact. In any research study it is best to disclose your affiliation to your business. The typical term used is declaring a Conflict of Interest. It doesn’t stop a research study or a survey, but it provides full disclosure to the participants who have a right to understand the affiliations of the researcher and how the gathered data may be impacted by bias and further how extremely personal participant data may be utilized.
I imagine there are many researchers, PhD’s and others well versed in the ethics, guidelines, shortcomings, and even pitfalls of research surveys on this forum who will note your affiliation to a Camino business aligned with a survey of this nature whether affiliated with a college or not. With kind regards.
@Brooklinn ,
I appreciate your research and effort to express the tone with which your message was sent. I completely understand your concerns regarding transparency and potential conflicts of interest. My intention is to remain a neutral party in this research and to ensure that all participants feel fully informed.

In my original post, I aimed to be transparent without overwhelming readers with too much information. I appreciate the opportunity to provide more details here. Below is the text we submitted for approval to the Institutional Review Board (IRB), which clearly outlines my affiliation with Camino Travelers:

NOTE ON “PARTNERSHIPS”:

Ms. Newman has extensive experience on the Camino. In fact, she founded an organization called Camino Travelers (https://caminotravelers.com) that aims to build communities that empower people to embark on transformative journeys like the Camino and then integrate the lessons learned on their return home. Because of the strong connection between this study’s focus on how traveling the Camino impacts people’s health, wellbeing, and life satisfaction, and the aims of her business, we think it makes sense to frame Camino Travelers as a partner in this study. Thus, we put the Camino Travelers name and logo on the recruitment flyer. To be clear, however, there will be no coercion whatsoever of participants to engage with the Camino Travelers organization during or after their participation in this study.

My role in this research is to support in the gathering of data. While I am deeply interested in the findings, the research itself is independent of my business. My aim is to help gather data and facilitate the study, leveraging my connections within the Camino community. There will be no obligation or expectation for participants to engage with Camino Travelers as a result of their participation in the study.

All the best,

Jo

There is a presumption in your introduction, and process, that the Camino is transformative. Presumably those whose experience is contrary will also be represented in your results?
I agree and I think that some people are swept up by just being a "pilgrim" and when I read about how transformative people's caminos are I have skepticism. Especially when I read people who walk for 6 or 7 days and rave about their transformation. I am not saying it doesn't happen but I have my doubts. But that is only what I think.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@lt56ny I always thought that we should post here what we think. In 2012 I walked a deliberate and conscious pilgrimage to the shrine of Santiago. I’ve been wandering Iberia for decades but 2012 was a pilgrimage. I’ve made a few since and I’ve also meandered about Iberia as ever. 2012 offered me some development opportunities (sorry, too many years of people management) but the associated “transformative” experience that evolved from that hike has been membership of this forum. Wow! What a place. So much to see, so much to learn. I am so glad that a pilgrimage to Santiago led me here

the associated “transformative” experience that evolved from that hike has been membership of this forum. Wow! What a place. So much to see, so much to learn. I am so glad that a pilgrimage to Santiago led me here
I hadn't thought of it quite that way, but you are absolutely right! The forum is a very important part of my life now. Walking each year is a supplement.

@jo- your last couple of posts are not offering much comfort. An undisclosed commercial interest found by a diligent forum member?
Perhaps you could advise who, other than Camino Travelers might facilitate any coaching session(s)?

You cite Dr B Dorman as the lead in this research. Beth [Elizabeth] Dorman? Her specialty seems to be in pedagogy / teacher education not transformative experience or the psychology of behavioral change. Or am I missing something or someone?

I appreciate your interest in the topic. If there was published academic research supporting the concept of Camino as a transformative experience that of itself would support the objectives of Camino Travelers. I just think you might have disclosed that interest in your initial post

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear Forum Members,

I’m reaching out to invite those planning to walk the Camino de Santiago to participate in a research study aimed at exploring the effects of the Camino pilgrimage on health, well-being, life satisfaction, and overall flourishing.

This study involves a multi-part survey, with the initial survey taken before your pilgrimage, followed by a second survey upon completion, and a final one six months later. Your participation will provide valuable insights into understanding the medium-term impact of completing this journey.

I understand that survey requests can be met with skepticism, so I’ve included some details which I hope will offer transparency and build confidence in the study’s authenticity and academic purpose.

• Research Lead: The study is being conducted by Dr. B. Dorman, a professor at Fort Lewis College in Colorado, with whom I am collaborating to gather data, and conduct optional follow-up interviews.
  • Ethics Approval: The research has undergone a thorough ethics review and has been approved by the Institutional Review Board at Fort Lewis College. You can view permission to begin gathering data here.
  • Study Basis: The survey questions are inspired by a previous study and are modelled on the University of Pennsylvania’s Positive Psychology questionnaires, ensuring a robust and scientifically grounded approach.
  • Study Results: On completion of the research the final results will be published at caminostudy.com
Your participation is greatly appreciated, and we’re confident that the findings will contribute to a deeper understanding of the Camino’s impact. If you have any questions or need further information, please feel free to reach out.

Survey Link

Best regards,

Jo
For information, May I direct you to the Documentary, Camino Skies, produced by Fergus Grady (from Newzealand) and released for general theatre viewing in 2019. It is available on the Internet). This Documentary does address a lot of the subject matter which you mention and you may find it interesting for your research. Kind regards.

@jo- your last couple of posts are not offering much comfort. An undisclosed commercial interest found by a diligent forum member?
Perhaps you could advise who, other than Camino Travelers might facilitate any coaching session(s)?

You cite Dr B Dorman as the lead in this research. Beth [Elizabeth] Dorman? Her specialty seems to be in pedagogy / teacher education not transformative experience or the psychology of behavioral change. Or am I missing something or someone?

I appreciate your interest in the topic. If there was published academic research supporting the concept of Camino as a transformative experience that of itself would support the objectives of Camino Travelers. I just think you might have disclosed that interest in your initial post
To all those who have responded to the survey, Thank You. I am deeply grateful for your participation. Rest assured that my intentions with this survey are simply to gather data and to better understand the wider impacts of walking the Camino on health, wellbeing, life satisfaction, and flourishing, and then share the results with those interested.

@Tincatinker ,

Thank you for your feedback. I truly appreciate your commitment to transparency and ethical research. To clarify, I believed that obtaining Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval meant we had followed the proper procedures for this project. I apologise if this wasn't initially clear, and I welcome any constructive input to improve the process. I also want to stress that there is no hidden commercial interest here. Affiliation with Camino Travelers was openly disclosed both in the study documentation and on Caminostudy.com. There was no intent to obscure any details.

For context, I’m a former educator who was deeply impacted by my Camino experience. This led me on a personal quest to explore why such journeys can be transformative. I found the Ultreya Research Project, reached out and was informed that their work was paused. They encouraged me to proceed with my own research, which is what I am doing by partnering up with Dr. Dorman.
I’ve explored a number of potential projects related to the Camino, such as opening an albergue, organising trips, or creating products that support pilgrims. I haven’t, as yet, made any firm decision on how I will proceed. I currently earn my living through coaching and tutoring. I do plan to grow Camino Travelers in the future but my current focus remains on helping others experience and integrate their Camino journeys. CaminoTravelers.com, which is still in development, does not charge for any services or products at this time. The only potential financial exchange, which is not yet set up to accept payment, is an optional donation for one-on-one sessions with experienced volunteer pilgrims. Any donations will benefit Camino organisations and donativo albergues. At this time, it might be helpful to mention that I also have an instagram account— @caminotravelers , where I share about the Camino.

The goal of this research project is to better understand the broader impact of walking the Camino. Participation in the survey, interviews, or coaching is entirely voluntary, with no obligation to engage.

In response to your specific questions:
  1. Coaching Sessions: I will facilitate these sessions if there is interest, with Dr. Dorman supporting if her schedule allows. This was outlined in the IRB application.
  2. Dr. Dorman's Expertise: While her primary field is pedagogy, Dr. Dorman’s research experience and interest in coaching align with the goals of this project. In a similar vein, the focus of the lead researcher of the Ultreya Project is the clinical effectiveness of psychological therapies for chronic pain.
  3. Previous Research: As mentioned, the Ultreya Project has conducted a similar study, and our aim is to build on that work by adding a six-month follow-up survey. Replicating and extending research is a common and valuable practice.

Thank you again for your thoughtful input. I remain committed to the integrity of this project and to serving the Camino community.

Best regards,

Jo

For information, May I direct you to the Documentary, Camino Skies, produced by Fergus Grady (from Newzealand) and released for general theatre viewing in 2019. It is available on the Internet). This Documentary does address a lot of the subject matter which you mention and you may find it interesting for your research. Kind regards.
@susanawee ,
Thank you for taking the time to share. I watched the trailer and look forward to watching the full documentary!
Much appreciated,

Jo

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I agree and I think that some people are swept up by just being a "pilgrim" and when I read about how transformative people's caminos are I have skepticism. Especially when I read people who walk for 6 or 7 days and rave about their transformation. I am not saying it doesn't happen but I have my doubts. But that is only what I think.
I was interviewed once for a Camino podcast by someone who was moved to move to Spain and start that podcast after walking from Sarria to Santiago. A walk of 6 or 7 days can change the course of someone's life.

I was interviewed once for a Camino podcast by someone who was moved to move to Spain and start that podcast after walking from Sarria to Santiago. A walk of 6 or 7 days can change the course of someone's life.
As I said it does happen. But generally I am skeptical. But as I said just my opinion. I am glad it had a great effect by the person who interviewed you.

Dear Forum Members,

Survey Link

Best regards,

Jo
Jo,
Having participated in and conducted studies in the past (I'm a psychologist 30+ yrs), I appreciate the thoughtfulness and grace of your presentation. It's a challenge to get participants! I am also intrigued by what you'll find (correlation is not causation, but still--so many interesting possibilities). I start my first Camino (Frances) on Sept 18 and completed the survey. Best of luck,
Linda

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Jo,
Having participated in and conducted studies in the past (I'm a psychologist 30+ yrs), I appreciate the thoughtfulness and grace of your presentation. It's a challenge to get participants! I am also intrigued by what you'll find (correlation is not causation, but still--so many interesting possibilities). I start my first Camino (Frances) on Sept 18 and completed the survey. Best of luck,
Linda
Hi @Scooby2 ,
Thank you for your kind message, which I completely agree with, and for taking the time to complete the survey. It is much appreciated!
I wish you all the best on your Camino!
All the best,
Jo

Most read last week in this forum

A question for couples of different sexes: do you sleep separately in the albergues? Do you pay more, and/or is it more complicated to book, to sleep in the same dorm (in separate bunk beds, of...
This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.