• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Lebaniego in mid-October: Too late?

KayVee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Hello! I’m thinking of walking the Lebaniego this year but the earliest I can get to it would be mid to late October. Would it be too late in the year to walk? (cold, rain, accommodation availability etc). My other option is to continue where I left off on the Mozarabe a few years ago. Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You could try checking CaminoWeather for cold/rain. I looked up Oct 15 - Oct 24, and looks to me like most years that would have gotten you two days of rain, and pretty decent walking temperatures. Here's the specific link: https://caminoweather.com/lebaniego...nId=46&lengthType=stages&startDate=2024-10-15

I just did a quick search for "primeras nevadas picos de Europa." Some years, snow arrives in mid October. Some years in early October. Some years in November. Last year it was October 21, but it was a few flakes after months of high temperatures and no precipitation..

No question but that climate change has hit the Picos de Europa, and I think it is unlikely that you would have a blinding snowstorm in October, not that you asked about snow but that would be my first question! I can't answer the question about accommodation, but I imagine that tourist facilities are open year round because the Picos is a high volume winter destination too.

If you go, let us know what you find! Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
thank you @krystianw and @peregrina2000 . I hadn’t thought about the possibility of snow. Could someone who’s walked the Lebaniego and the Primitivo offer a view on difficulty? Esp in terms of elevation fain and loss?

thank you @krystianw and @peregrina2000 . I hadn’t thought about the possibility of snow. Could someone who’s walked the Lebaniego and the Primitivo offer a view on difficulty? Esp in terms of elevation fain and loss?
Hello Kay Vee. To answer your question based on walking in mid september. The first stage is relatively flat, walking along the river to Cades. There's a ref there, but try to ring them and book a bed. They also do supper and breakfast. No other facilities in that village. Slight detour next morning if you want anything at all along the way, to Quintanilla for coffee and cakes. Steep climb after that but only to around 700 meters, then down to Cacera. Book there too, if you can. Good restaurant. 390 meters straight up next morning with fantastic views. Then lots of ups and (spectacular) downs to Potes. A bit twee tourist town. Very Good ref. No booking.
Next day 3 km straight up to the monastery. Ref there opens at 1300 but you should be there by 12 for the mass and "Puerta de exculpa". Recommend staying there all day and night. Magical place.
Next day a slog to Epinama. You can choose either the Camino or the road (much shorter) up to you. Good ref in Epinama but essential to book (still on Covid alert). Okay, from Epinama. Now you climb straight up to around 2000 metres (like Hospitales on the Primitivo). There was heavy rain and a very cold wind. You will probably get sunshine but, light thermals, wind jacket, fleece jacket, cravat, fleece gloves and woollen cap were essential that day. The last 11 km to Portilla were memorable. Casa Rural in Portilla but there is a ref. After Portilla it is flat as you gradually descend to the Campo and the Meseta along the Libaniego to Mansilla de las Mulas.
The ref in Cistierna was closed so a pension was necessary. Otherwise refs or cheap pensions. See Gronze which was accurate. All in all the most most beautiful Camino I've ever walked in Spain. You should be ok in October as Laurie (Peregrina 2000) says, but take the clothes mentioned.

As mentioned my remarks are based on walking in Mid september, but I think it would still be ok in Mid october but the equipment mentioned would be necessary,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back