Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cafe Bar at Convent of San Anton

Tony Maguire

Time of past OR future Camino
20th August 2014
I am just wondering if any on the camino at the moment or in the last couple of months, know if the cafe bar is open just as you pass the convent ruins of San Anton

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am just wondering if any on the camino at the moment or in the last couple of months, know if the cafe bar is open just as you pass the convent ruins of San Anton

It was closed and looked very abandoned in May this year. But there was a shop that sold some refreshments inside the convent. No draft beer, though...

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That bar/cafe was a nice resting stop before the last kms to Castrojeriz. I really missed it in May. Nice guy was running it. Good draft beer.
Yes, it was. We stopped at that bar/cafeo on a sunny day in late April 2017 for an afternoon break while admiring the San Anton ruins across the road.
Screenshot_20240823-144939~2.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stayed there last night and saw no bar! Though I did have a lovely stay.
There is coffee and water for pilgrims dropping by and the vending machine is working for some canned beverages.

Enjoy! Recommend staying overnight....

In 2019, I heard some beautiful music blaring from afar & arrived at the cafe as the magic was emanating from there. Great guy, great music, memorable entry into San Anton!

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
LOL. I remember the music in May 2019, but don't remember seeing a bar or refreshments anywhere. I was probably focused on getting to Castrojeriz as it was a hot day. As enjoyable as the music was, it did freak me out a bit as I didn't see anyone and wondered where it was coming from.

I last walked that section in 2015, and I don't remember any bar or vending machine. When did these amenities appear?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here is one from Google maps Street View, dated Aug 2019. The previous 2014 view showed a farmyard.
I remember walking by there very early on a hot September morning in 2016. I had an early start that day to beat the heat, and passed by the Convent ruins just as the sun was coming up. It had quite a magical feel that I didn't experience on subsequent Caminos when I walked by at a later hour.

20160904_070548.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It looks like you mean the one on the right, just past the archway? Enjoyed it in 2018 but it was not there when I passed by end of August 2023.

I remember walking by there very early on a hot September morning in 2016. I had an early start that day to beat the heat, and passed by the Convent ruins just as the sun was coming up. It had quite a magical feel that I didn't experience on subsequent Caminos when I walked by at a later hour.

View attachment 176701
What day did you walk past?
This pic is 27 Sept 2016 at 8:14am

Attachments

• IMG_6676.jpeg
    IMG_6676.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Angel, known for his loud music and free watermelon, sadly had to close the cafe after 2021. I finally met him again this year running an oasis half way between Villafranca de Oca and San Juan. It was so great to see him again, and he had the loud music playing!!

Angel, known for his loud music and free watermelon, sadly had to close the cafe after 2021. I finally met him again this year running an oasis half way between Villafranca de Oca and San Juan. It was so great to see him again, and he had the loud music playing!!
Yes he is there just now with the best coffee in the world. And watermelon

Also from 2018. 21 October... similar to photo above - early am.
FDE19C5A-832F-47FF-8E78-1BDE765C28A7_1_201_a.jpeg
From inside looking out the entry gate,
WC at center
883651DF-E71E-4712-B70D-4D8C8A7D1164_1_102_a.jpeg
inside, at the bar
1724597885517.jpeg

1724598047321.jpeg

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back