Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Busy? I’m alone at Luquin.

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
I arrived on the Francés yesterday in Estella. Stayed in the Albergue Curtadores on the entry to town. Few pilgrims for a big albergue. And tonight I’m by myself at the one-of-a-kind Casa Tiago in Luquin. I made a point of coming here because Tiago looked after me with such care when I was sick last year. Love this place. I think the entire population was in the only bar tonight. We had live, very Spanish music from some fine musicians.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I arrived on the Francés yesterday in Estella. Stayed in the Albergue Curtadores on the entry to town. Few pilgrims for a big albergue. And tonight I’m by myself at the one-of-a-kind Casa Tiago in Luquin. I made a point of coming here because Tiago looked after me with such care when I was sick last year. Love this place. I think the entire population was in the only bar tonight. We had live, very Spanish music from some fine musicians.
Sounds lovely! We are just starting out…will arrive at Roncesvalles tomorrow. Will try and make our way there. 👣🎒💖

A good reason to take the complementario routes when you have the chance and to stay in the smaller places too. 3,145 Compostelas handed out yesterday - the fifth day this year where the total has been over 3,000. So it is pretty busy at the end of the line. But the Camino Frances before Sarria isn't seeing that much of this year's boom in numbers. That is mainly happening on other routes like the Portugues Costa, the Ingles and the Primitivo.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Loved it when I was there two years ago.
The connection back to CF seemed well marked, however, I took a self-made route to Los Arcos via Barbarin and ermita san Jorge. Then another one via El Busto to Sansol. Beautiful green wheat fields with poppies.

This is why I love walking the Francés in june / july.

Better weather than in spring, and not that busy (well, until Triacastela...).

I've never taken the Variant via Luquin. I think I'll try to next time I walk. It sounds good. Thanks for sharing!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
An oxymoron, imo. 🙃 ... but I'm glad someone likes the style. More to the geological point of this thread, the baroque can have amazing marble.
Ah, the immortal line from Disney’s ‘Beauty and the Beast’ - “If it ain’t Baroque, don’t fix it”. I’d forgive Baroque if it didn’t have a habit of plonking massive great choirs in the middle of Gothic cathedral aisles.

“If it ain’t Baroque, don’t fix it”.
I’d forgive Baroque if it didn’t have a habit of plonking massive great choirs in the middle of Gothic cathedral aisles.
Exactly.
Or draping perfectly good porticos (or whole cathedrals) behind new and far less beautiful 'decoration.'

The cathedral in Lugo was so awful inside I decided to walk to Santiago via Melide and the Francés fearing another dose of cherub excess in Sobrado. Looking at photos in retrospect, the latter looks more neoclassical tha Baroque. But still. No regrets.

Sorry, Paul. Back to rocks.

I am in Sahagun- and have been walking backwards from Las Herrerias on the CF - and nearly every albergue has plenty of space, nor have I felt walking against the normal stream that I have been battling crowds. It seems much quieter than when I was heading to SdeC at the end of May. Only one bar has had a queue- in El Burgo Ranero but that flurry of activity lasted 20 minutes as a cluster arrived on the 7km from Bercianos wanting breakfast.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am in Sahagun- and have been walking backwards from Las Herrerias on the CF - and nearly every albergue has plenty of space, nor have I felt walking against the normal stream that I have been battling crowds. It seems much quieter than when I was heading to SdeC at the end of May. Only one bar has had a queue- in El Burgo Ranero but that flurry of activity lasted 20 minutes as a cluster arrived on the 7km from Bercianos wanting breakfast.
You are confirming information I got last week from someone working in tourism in Navarra... and safe trip home. Hope you are not relying on the former national airline. 😁

You are confirming information I got last week from someone working in tourism in Navarra... and safe trip home. Hope you are not relying on the former national airline. 😁
No I am the other Irish one...with Mr O'Leary (even if I prefer the other one - though in this case I am glad not to be facing strikes)

I suspect last year's early heatwave in June did have some effect in pushing people earlier in spring, and also Easter was as nearly as early as it can get which is a popular starting time with various countries having holidays then. So June is quieter!

I started in Atapuerca (where an injury ended my walk last year) on May 31. There have been many times when I didn't see another pilgrim for an hour or two. I've never failed to get a bed in my first choice of albergues. Mostly I stay in "off stage" towns, but not always. I may have to do a little more planning as I approach Sarria, but I think that the same strategy will see me through.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh Estella. What history !!! But yes. Super small town. I loved it too the cathedrals and churches

Most read last week in this forum

Hi- I will be finishing up the Via Podiensis in a few days and then starting on the Frances from SJPDP. Is there any reason for me to visit the pilgrim office (and probably wait on a long line)...
I am an Old School Pilgrim, too set in my ways, I can understand and accept the Cell Phone priorities sweeping today's Pilgrim community back in the good old bad days coin-fed albergue computers...
I arrived on the Francés yesterday in Estella. Stayed in the Albergue Curtadores on the entry to town. Few pilgrims for a big albergue. And tonight I’m by myself at the one-of-a-kind Casa Tiago in...
I passed through Nájera today. To quote John Lennon, “ I just had to look”. As you probably know, the red sandstone cliffs run right alongside the houses. Definitely unusual. These red beds...
i did the French way a couple of years ago from Roncesvalles, right after covid. i’m elderly and very slow. i would like to return in 2025, to do it again while my body may still let me. last...
Hello from Roncesvalles! My husband and I made it safely through the fog to the monastery from Borda this morning. Now looking forward to our next accommodations. Please note: There are lots of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.