Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burgos alternative route: download directions?

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Fall 2024
I begin walking from SJPdP 9/10 and am very excited to be starting my Camino. I'd like to take the alternative route along the river to Burgos. I've read the descriptions about how to do so on the forum, and taken some notes. I see that mapy.cz shows this as "Camino Frances (Rutas alternativas)" . I'd like to down load it to have it on my mapy.cz app on my phone for offline use. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to do so! I'm not so tech savvy... Any advice would be appreciated.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I think that when you download a region on mapy that the trails are automatically included.
Also, most Camino apps with maps like Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim show the alternative track, and their maps can be downloaded for offline use.

There is also a PDF in the Resource section that you can download that has a description and photos of landmarks along the route:

I'm not sure you'd need it mapped.. the alternative route to the left is well marked, just before you pass the airport.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I use the "Alle Pelgrimsroutes Spanje" gps track from this Dutch website. Most of the major Camino routes in Spain and their variants are included. The Burgos river route is one of the paths which it shows.

all-routes-gps.jpg

I think that when you download a region on mapy that the trails are automatically included.
Also, most Camino apps with maps like Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim show the alternative track, and their maps can be downloaded for offline use.

There is also a PDF in the Resource section that you can download that has a description and photos of landmarks along the route:

It's brilliant and easy to follow.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
You just need to download and install mapy.cz on your phone and to choose "outdoor" as the map type: the camion and its variants will appear in blue.
You will have to turn left before the airport:

This may be dated but in April the alternate route was not well marked because of construction in that area. My friend and I missed it and we’ve both walked it before. We knew we missed it but we saw no obvious markers in or around the construction. Things may have changed since mid-April. Good luck, the route on the street is miserable.

This may be dated but in April the alternate route was not well marked because of construction in that area. My friend and I missed it and we’ve both walked it before. We knew we missed it but we saw no obvious markers in or around the construction. Things may have changed since mid-April. Good luck, the route on the street is miserable.
Ah, come on, the street route isn’t “miserable” it’s just a walk, on pavement, through urban Burgos. There’s life; there are some great bars and cafes and there’s that sense of entering a city. One of the great cities of the Camino Frances and, for one of the few times on the “modern” route you get to walk the line that those thousands of sweaty, stinky, medieval pilgrims we aspire to emulate actually walked. The river route is just another scenic bypass

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I missed it too in May, despite having the instructions, and looking for it.

Ah, come on, the street route isn’t “miserable” it’s just a walk, on pavement, through urban Burgos. There’s life; there are some great bars and cafes and there’s that sense of entering a city. One of the great cities of the Camino Frances and, for one of the few times on the “modern” route you get to walk the line that those thousands of sweaty, stinky, medieval pilgrims we aspire to emulate actually walked. The river route is just another scenic bypass
I have to say I agree that the street option is awful. I've walked it twice now really tried to avoid it this year, but couldn't locate the alternate route. Part of it is timing , arriving in a really hot part of the day, when everyone is out shopping and the paths were so congested and hot, headway was difficult and the markers hard to find.
This year I discovered that I still dont like Logrono, the walk into Burgos isnt pleasant (but they did have a festival of flowers that was amazing) , the walk out of Leon still poorly marked. BUT, I didn't get lost getting through Ponferrada!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
@Anamiri I do appreciate where you’re coming from (a phrase that younger tribe members assure me has meaning) but I think my point is that Camino is camino and, yes, some of it is shite but that’s the whole point. It’s not supposed to be perfect; you’re supposed to get lost; you don’t even have to like it. It just is. And that’s the whole point of it.

Buen Caminos

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
We walked it in June. It´s quite hard to miss once you are on it: you just follow the river. It is pleasant enough, but hardly stunning.

Well, since you put it that way…

The traditional route isn't all that bad. Once clear of the airport and over the railway onto the carretera, there's lots of bars and places to eat along those few urban kilometres. There are worse urban stretches.. Leòn comes to mind, both entering and leaving.

I'm not sure you'd need it mapped.. the alternative route to the left is well marked, just before you pass the airport.
But, the initial turn can be hard to see. Despite going that way on previous Caminos I almost missed it. The only arrows pointing to the alternate route were on the ground almost covered by a dumpster. That was probably the problem that @Juspassinthru and @Anamiri encountered.
This may be dated but in April the alternate route was not well marked because of construction in that area. My friend and I missed it and we’ve both walked it before

I missed it too in May, despite having the instructions, and looking for it

We walked it in June. It´s quite hard to miss once you are on it: you just follow the river. It is pleasant enough, but hardly stunning
Once you are on it there are plenty of arrows. It's getting on it that can be the issue.

I have to say I agree that the street option is awful. I've walked it twice now really tried to avoid it this year, but couldn't locate the alternate route. Part of it is timing , arriving in a really hot part of the day, when everyone is out shopping and the paths were so congested and hot, headway was difficult and the markers hard to find.
This year I discovered that I still dont like Logrono, the walk into Burgos isnt pleasant (but they did have a festival of flowers that was amazing) , the walk out of Leon still poorly marked. BUT, I didn't get lost getting through Ponferrada!
I agree, and I wouldn't take transport to avoid a section because of that.
But if I find a nicer walk alternative I'll definitely do that .

If people do miss the 1st turning and don't want / can't be staring at their screen, I think IIRC turning left at McDonalds will take you towards the river route to miss some of the road

I walked it in May, after reading about the alternate from good_old_shoes: “After Orbaneja Riopico there's a bridge. Also some houses and trash cans. That's where the routes divide.
Go left there at the Trash cans, then at the rest stop / sports area / playground, Go right. At that point it is marked again.” From there, just followed the dot on Wise Pilgrim and double checked with google maps. I walked into both Burgos and Leon and don’t understand all the fuss about urban blite, dangerous,etc. It wasn’t that big of a deal, stopped for a coffee at a deli, went through a short warehouse area with people working, just everyday stuff. I’d walk it again.

I missed it too in May, despite having the instructions, and looking for it.

I also missed it in May. When I realized it, I looked in the guidebook and it said that, if you missed the turn, you could follow the A--1 highway, on the other end of the airport. So, that's what I did, but I would not recommend it. That's a busy highway and you'll be walking on the shoulder most of the way. Once you get to the river, you have to go over the guardrail cross a 5-foot-deep ravine and climb over a fence to get to the trail.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Take the first left after you cross over the road & railway after Orbaneja Riopico. Follow the track keeping the airport runway on your right. Cross the road at Castanares and keep straight on for 230 meters where the road veers right keepingconcrete plant which on your left. Follow this road for a few hundred meters until you cross a small river on a footbridge. Follow the tracks heading west for 6k, keeping the river on your right, till you cross the bridge and go through the archway to the cathedral plaza.

I also missed it in May. When I realized it, I looked in the guidebook and it said that, if you missed the turn, you could follow the A--1 highway, on the other end of the airport. So, that's what I did, but I would not recommend it. That's a busy highway and you'll be walking on the shoulder most of the way. Once you get to the river, you have to go over the guardrail cross a 5-foot-deep ravine and climb over a fence to get to the trail.
Took Treciles alternative a few times easy to follow perfect.

Muchas gracias. I took the northern route last time. Saw a huge tire factory. The river route looks much better. I will be there on October 11! Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Me again, the original poster. Can anyone tell me how to download anything on mapy? There’s my issue. I already confessed to not being tech savvy.

On the main screen tap the menu button

Screenshot_20240809_105235_Mapycz.jpg

Then tap Offline maps

Screenshot_20240809_105345_Mapycz.jpg

Then you can search for countries/regions and choose maps to download. You can see that I already have the maps for Spain downloaded.

Screenshot_20240809_105454_Mapycz.jpg

I used this.

A ‘pro tip’; whatever next.

Not in direct response to anyone in particular but: on a daily basis on here we have ‘must use’ bag transport, ‘must pre-book private rooms all the way’, the frequent use of motorised transport and now the avoidance of slightly untidy bits.

All that coupled with the self-regarding insistence that this is a pilgrimage.

Utter rubbish.

With some honorable exceptions a good number of folk on here need to wake up to the reality that they’re on a cheap walking holiday with a dinner-party-conversation souvenir at the end of it.

Love mapy.Cz. After you've got the map for the country / region into mapy as described above, download the gpx you want eg from Dutch Confraternity website onto your phone, then in mapy do My Maps, Import Gpx. You can just use the blue lines, but personally I prefer to import gpx because the red lines are labeled specifically and are much clearer to read

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.