Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Breakfast

Bog526

Time of past OR future Camino
None, looking at sept 2024
I have tried to search for this info with no avail.

The info I am looking for is in reagrds to Breakfast for the early mornings. I am aware that we could find some further on.

If we leave early in the morning each day and put the boots to the trail around 7 am do some albergues or donavitos have food we could purchase for the next morning so we could leave early or do they frown on this?

As a visitor in their home the last thing we want to do is to insult them.

Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I normally leave around sunrise, give or take, and walk to the nearest bar. Maybe close by and many open early.

Sometimes the walk might be an hour or so. A little walking before breakfast I find beneficial and also the walking after breakfast will be an hour less.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Some albergues that offer breakfast will set things out the night before so that you can have breakfast and leave early. Breakfast is usually a pretty basic affair - toast, coffee, juice, fruit, etc. Sometimes there will be some sliced meat and cheese too.
There's definitely not a problem with buying breakfast items the day before from a supermercado.

I always have a bunch of granola bars in my pack. If I have a pilgrim dinner the night before, I often get the fruit. So a typical breakfast for me is some combo of granola bar and/or fruit, pre-purchased yogurt, chocolate milk or orange juice. Enough to get me out the door and down the road until I stop for "second breakfast". 😉

If we leave early in the morning each day and put the boots to the trail around 7 am do some albergues or donavitos have food we could purchase for the next morning so we could leave early or do they frown on this?
Is the issue leaving early or getting breakfast? Leaving around 7:00 am wouldn't be considered early in my view. You are generally free to keave as early as you wish, and earlier starts than that are relatively common in my experience. Some of those who do might even leave without disturbing others in a dormitory, although others will be noisy and disruptive.

If an albergue provides breakfast early, it is likely to have been set out the night before, and be a relatively simple affair, and you will, for example, not find freshly made coffee. You will need to make that yourself.

In other places, the kitchen will be available, albeit the might be a dearth of cooking utensils, crockery, glassware and cutlery. You will be expected to provide your own food. I have never seen a place on my various pilgrimages on the Iberian peninsula where an albergue had food for sale.

So part of my logistic planning each day was figuring out where was the last place I could replenish my food bag. I would generally buy a couple of bananas and oranges and some yoghurt as late in the walking day as possible. Half I would eat then, and the other half in the morning. I would carry an orange in my pack, but avoided carrying bananas the next day. I would also have bread, salami and cheese in my food bag, tea bags, muesli bars and some chocolate. Its a fine balance between having enough to keep walking, and the weight you are prepared to carry.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you stay for breakfast at an albergue it is generally toast, coffee, maybe jelly. When I am making breakfast at a donativo it is generally dry cereal with milk, yogurt, toast, butter/jelly, fruit. And occasionally some cheese, coffee, tea, and juice. If you stop for breakfast, look for a "working man" place with truck drivers, etc. They will be open early.

Bringing some Baby Bell Cheese, granola bars, yogurt, or (if you have the facilities), hard boiled eggs are also good.

@Bog526 Once you discover the simple delights in bars of tostado (usually half a bread roll) with ham or bacon with cheese, and an expresso coffee of your choice (eg cafe con leche) it is possible you will never eat an even simpler breakfast in an Albergue again.

Or a fresh croissant that you will never find in an Albergue.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Bog526, all the possibilities open to you actually make this a pretty big topic. But for rule-of-thumb just remember that the Camino Frances is pretty well set up to cater for pilgrims at the hours that pilgrims want to buy things - it's how a lot of people make a living.
In my occasional experience on the CF I'd say that early albergue breakfasts are in the minority and where they are available early they are usually pretty sparse.
Generally what we do when we arrive at an albergue in a new village/town/city is
1. talk to hospitalero on arrival about Desayuno options both in the albergue and nearby (they will likely know when nearest/'best' bar/cafés or panaderias open).
2. Examine the albergue kitchen (if there is one) for utensils and food warming systems that work (typically a microwave nowadays). This can help you decide whether to breakfast in or out.
3. After you've showered and done washing go out and get your bearings. Find local shops and potential breakfast places and/or buy breakfast items, based on what you decide.
My experience on the CF for the last two Octobers is that most people staying in municipals or cheap private albergues tend to get into a rhythm of just setting out in the morning and stopping at the first or second place that is open (and looks like it has just received fresh croissants..). I can think of a few times where it was just me and one other cheapskate sitting in an albergue kitchen making our own coffee, eating biscuits, packet Madeleins and fresh fruit chopped into our yoghurts...
Actually a good reason for you to have an albergue breakfast is the popularity of the camino in September - you might find your self standing in a long café queue when you really just want to be out there walking the dawn..

I'm leaving the Albergue between 4:30 and 6 am and walk until I am hungry (9 - 10pm). Then I stop at the next cafe-bar and have breakfast (Cafe con leche, Bocadillo or Pan de chocolate, Orangejuice).

Some Albergues do offer breakfast prior leave between 5 and 8 am.

Last edited:
There’s so much variation between albergues that it’s hard to predict what one might find in the early mornings. For me, access to a cup of coffee was enough to get me on the trail. My typical morning was to walk for a while before stopping for a nice slice of tortilla and a café con leche. This was typically possible within my first five kilometers. But, as that didn’t always happen, a couple granola bars in my pack were always available for when I had to walk longer than expected. If you’re not leaving until around 7 am, you should have no problem finding café/bars open by the time you want to stop for a bite. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

The info I am looking for is in reagrds to Breakfast for the early mornings. I am aware that we could find some further on.

Thanks
You will figure it out when you get there and there is no set process. Don't over think it.

Thanks
Common situation. Especially in the heat. Many people are gone by 7 AM but yet breakfast may not be served until 7 AM. Everyone has their own way of dealing with this depending on their needs/ wants. My number one need is morning coffee. Usually there is at least a coffee machine. If not, I have to wait until I reach a café. I usually have the Brierley book and know how far away a café will be. So if you're staying in a somewhat large village or city, you have a better chance of finding coffee where you stay.
Anyone who wants to eat before they start hiking, always carries some food with them for this purpose. I usually pick up some food the day before or have leftovers from the day before.

Your early in the morning starting time is actually a bit late if you are staying in albergues. My experience is that people start getting up just after 5 and a large number leave between 5:30 and 6. The first coulple of days I tried to leave around 7:30, but realized that with all the noise, I might as well leave with the early birds. Since this meant starting in the dark, I tended to scout the exit path out of town before dinner. There was something energizing about walking in the dark and seeing headlamps or flashlights inthe dark as you started. That normally meant walking an hour or so before getting breakfast at a bar. Everyday except one I was able to find a place with fresh napolitanas or tortillas. The one exception had one bar open which only had packaged pastry. By that point I was pretty spoiled, so I had a coffee and left. That day there was a walk of quite a few miles along a canal with no towns. Luckily some enterprising people had set up two places with freshly made food. The big benefit of leaving early and getting food after walking a while was that most days I finished by noon and missed the hottest part of the day. This strategy worked on the Portugues last year as well.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.

Thanks
Hola Bog,
I personally can’t do anything in the morning without coffee! I found on CF last year to Burgos, that, I never had to go far to find a little village or town cafe open near to where I was staying. Some of these are my most memorable spots as sunrise in a beautiful place, great coffee, a pastry and fresh orange juice set me and also seeing other pilgrims there ready to head off was reassuring as I was walking alone. Only occasionally did I have to go a few Km further to find a caff.

I’ll be up on the Meseta this Sept and I gather there are less stopping points, but I’m still hopeful of my camino breakfast spots being as lovely!

Enjoy!
Buen camino!
Cate

Thanks
I always being a small jar of peanut butter with me. It has protein, fat & sugar (I like Jif, not natural but more stable, not liquid & better preserved). So many people are jealous when they see it! A few spoonfuls & an apple (tough), & granola/protein bar (I bring my own food anyway as celiac) & I make my own coffee with a collapsible kettle & powdered milk, & that is enough. Later pick up an oj, yogurt, have some more nuts & banana. Little jams & crackers, oatmeal packets, will come in handy!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thanks
My day usually starts around five thirty and most cafes open around 7am which gives me a good hour to get as many km done before stopping and by which time I’m so ready for breakfast and a couple of coffees, sets me up for next 4-5 hours.

Seeing as how #TeamCoil hasn’t shown up yet, allow me to sing the praises of an immersion coil + lightweight camp cup + Nescafé sachets. Instant human!
Are the Nescafé sachets easily available? I’m thinking of bringing some organic instant from home, but it won’t last for the whole Camino.

Thanks
I was usually out the door before breakfast was served. I picked up a couple of bananas the day before and if in a larger town or city a yogurt drink (preferred brand was Danone YoPro as it had 25g of protein), easy to eat or drink on the go.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If I may, humbly (?), provide more information.
most cafes open around 7am which gives me a good hour to get as many km done before stopping
Assuming this includes "bars" which in my experience on many Camino routes (but not the Frances recently) far out number seeing the word "cafe", I have found many open before 7, and indeed before 6.

But notwithstanding that, you can of course get up and start walking for as much time as you wish before having a coffee, say 2 hours, and walk past any queue if you like to avoid queues as I do, and stop after the early morning rush in a more tranquil environment, which I also prefer. I like my Caminos to be relaxing low stress experiences with less weight in my mind.

Thanks
I would just reinforce what others here are saying. Breakfast in Spain is definitely different than what many of us are used to. For some, breakfast may just be leftover dry bread from yesterday, some jam and maybe butter and some instant coffee. Some bars along the way May offer slices of tortilla—it’s an egg pie. The best suggestion is to stock up the day before on things like yogurt and fruit and candy bars, granola, etc.

If I may, humbly (?), provide more information.

Assuming this includes "bars" which in my experience on many Camino routes (but not the Frances recently) far out number seeing the word "cafe", I have found many open before 7, and indeed before 6.

But notwithstanding that, you can of course get up and start walking for as much time as you wish before having a coffee, say 2 hours, and walk past any queue if you like to avoid queues as I do, and stop after the early morning rush in a more tranquil environment, which I also prefer. I like my Caminos to be relaxing low stress experiences with less weight in my mind.
you mention queues....can you elaborate..first i heard this lol

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Are the Nescafé sachets easily available? I’m thinking of bringing some organic instant from home, but it won’t last for the whole Camino.
Never mind, I just bought a 25-pack of individually wrapped organic instant which will be worth carrying. Ah, early morning is sounding better—guaranteed hot coffee!

Sorry, I have no direct experience as I now walk on Caminos with few pilgrims. My comments were 2nd hand.

What has been said by others on this forum is that the closest bars or cafes to Albergues in the popular towns where pilgrims stop are very busy when the early rush of pilgrims start walking and want a coffee ASAP.

But you don't need to sweat on this or most other questions or thoughts. You will pick up the vibes and work it out for yourself as you go.

Thanks
Hi Bog.
My experience is that if I stay in a private home (rather seldom on the CF), the host use to be very welcoming and friendly. There shouldn't be a problem to ask for something extra and offer to pay for it.
As for me, coffe is the most important in the morning and sometimes that has to wait an hour or two, mostly in the more basic albergues.
Don't be afraid to ask, you may get the nice breakfast
Buon Camino

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
You've elected to walk during the busiest time in the pilgrim calendar, starting from SJPdP 14th September (it says on the calendar thread). So all services, particularly accommodation will be under strain. Having said that, this won't be a uniform pressure - some towns and villages are better able to cope than others, pilgrim bubbles come and go, leaving quieter gaps in-between. Some places appear massively over-subscribed for no apparent reason - unless you are on the social media channel that's publishing rave reviews etc...
There are a lot of threads on here about strategies for coping in high season, and with a little forethought most people seem to survive OK.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Hola Bog,
I personally can’t do anything in the morning without coffee! I found on CF last year to Burgos, that, I never had to go far to find a little village or town cafe open near to where I was staying. Some of these are my most memorable spots as sunrise in a beautiful place, great coffee, a pastry and fresh orange juice set me and also seeing other pilgrims there ready to head off was reassuring as I was walking alone. Only occasionally did I have to go a few Km further to find a caff.

I’ll be up on the Meseta this Sept and I gather there are less stopping points, but I’m still hopeful of my camino breakfast spots being as lovely!

Enjoy!
Buen camino!
Cate
My comment will properly be misconstrued. Your perception is excellent; however, I wish that on some, just a few, that you have no access to coffee for a significant day or a significant period. Journeys are supposed to have challenges, disappointments, failings, etc.; otherwise, it is not a proper journey. Having said this, if you do run across a no-coffee period, your next coffee will seem like ambrosia, the drink of gods. All the best. Chuck

We offered sit-down breakfast at 07:00, or a “portable” breakfast bag for folks that wanted to leave earlier. Other albergues have kitchens that pilgrims can use. And some have neither. And when I walked, I never encountered a village without a bar to get café con leche and if hungry, something solid.

We just finished the Frances route June 26th. My husband is an early breakfast guy. We tried to be out the door by 7am each day. We found that was a bit early for most cafes/bars to be open, especially in the small towns. He always had an alternative in his backpack, just in case. A banana and a protein bar to get him started, if a hot breakfast was not available. Best advise is to be prepared.

My comment will properly be misconstrued. Your perception is excellent; however, I wish that on some, just a few, that you have no access to coffee for a significant day or a significant period. Journeys are supposed to have challenges, disappointments, failings, etc.; otherwise, it is not a proper journey. Having said this, if you do run across a no-coffee period, your next coffee will seem like ambrosia, the drink of gods. All the best. Chuck
Hi Bulling,
No offence taken. Thank you for reading. I did once have to walk about 3k before I found coffee and you’re right it tasted amazing. I feel no shame for my addiction I’m afraid. Just a cup or two the morning is all. There are plenty of other ‘tests’ along the way and I’ve learned to trust it’s OK and that things usually work out.

You’ll be asking me to try not sampling the local grape juice next. I loved walking through Rioja-land at grape time last year! Meseta-land this Sept so we’ll see.

I do take my camino seriously. I love to notice where I’m walking, smelling the roses, not just the coffee. I travel alone, remembering the many loved ones I’ve lost, the children I never had, as well as looking forward to new people I’ll meet, the laughs we will have and the books I want to write. Looking behind at the view as well as forward to the West, whilst being in the moment. IMG_0714.jpeg Buen Camino x

Thanks
Late to the party, eh breakfast... but I always got yogurt, fruit and an energy bar to eat just before heading out in the morning - I was always a bit late for breakfast at the albergue - early risers, I figure, need it more than I do so early... But when I came to the first town or village, I'd always stop for second 'breakfast' of bacon, eggs, and fried potatoes with fresh oj and CCL... kept me going until late lunch/early dinner...
Buen Camino and buen provecho...

Seeing as how #TeamCoil hasn’t shown up yet, allow me to sing the praises of an immersion coil + lightweight camp cup + Nescafé sachets. Instant human
I am bringing instant coffee packets (a few to start), an immersion coil, and a 10 oz camp cup on my first Camino which starts in a few days. I'm glad you praise the notion! I've been wondering if I'm being silly to bring the kit because it's an extra 8 ounces of weight. I suspect I'll be grateful to have reliable coffee every morning.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm leaving the Albergue between 4:30 and 6 am and walk until I am hungry (9 - 10pm). Then I stop at the next cafe-bar and have breakfast (Cafe con leche, Bocadillo or Pan de chocolate, Orangejuice).

Some Albergues do offer breakfast prior leave between 5 and 8 am.
4:30am....??? Yikes, I want to know where you are so I'm not:) Just kidding. I know a lot of folks like to start early, but, I'm there to enjoy my time seeing new places/people.

4:30am....??? Yikes, I want to know where you are so I'm not:) Just kidding. I know a lot of folks like to start early, but, I'm there to enjoy my time seeing new places/people.
Through my job I'm bound to July/August, both the hottest months for the Caminos on the Iberean Peninsula. So start early / stop early is a must to prevent the brutal heat (38°C max in 2019).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Starting early doesn't necessarily prevent that. You can still get a chance to see new places/people where you stop for a coffee (or something else) along the way. And you get even more time to enjoy seeing new places/people after you arrive. And you get to enjoy seeing the sunrises. :)

Seeing as how #TeamCoil hasn’t shown up yet, allow me to sing the praises of an immersion coil + lightweight camp cup + Nescafé sachets. Instant human!
The sachets are great! But sometimes the only ones at the supermercado are of the decaffeinated variety. I personally buy a jar of "proper" instant coffee, usually cheapest available, and transfer it into a ziplock bag. Here's the kicker tho... I ditched the coil... and the camp cup. I actually went back to an old school Nalgene wide mouth bottle... one that I fill the night before and put in the fridge.

I can drink a liter of cold cheap coffee sooooo fast.

Instant super hero!

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.