• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boat from Villanova de Arousa to Padron & Compostela

Mamarich

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Forgive me, for asking re: a topic frequently discussed; But I’m having difficulty finding the thread. When walking the Variante Espiritual, if one takes the boat is it possible to obtain a Compostela? If not, do you have recommendations for stopping half way. I don’t see a clear stopping point around the halfway mark and 22 miles is more than I can do in a day. Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The VE is not recognized by the Pilgrims Office
I think it would be best if you stopped repeating this line, as it creates confusion. Just say this part:
You only can obtain a Compostela if you walk 100 kms either from O Porriño or Vigo and you obtain 2 stamps per day during these last 100 kms. 200 kms by the way if you bike .

The truth must be told. This is why this forum is for where people ask for advice and expect an honest answer. Suppose this pilgrim starts in Pontevedra, he will be disappointed when he asks for a Compostela at the Pilgrim Office.and does not get it. So if necessary in the future I will continue to repeat this.
That’s why I said to say the part about needing to start from Vigo or O Porriño but don’t say the part about the VE not being recognised. In the past that has caused confusion among pilgrims who think it means they can’t get a compostela if they walk the VE even if they started from Porto.

The truth must be told. This is why this forum is for where people ask for advice and expect an honest answer. Suppose this pilgrim starts in Pontevedra, he will be disappointed when he asks for a Compostela at the Pilgrim Office.and does not get it. So if necessary in the future I will continue to repeat this.
If you start in Pontevedra, you don't walk 100km into Santiago, and that's why you don't get your Compostela.
The credenciales issued by Santiago's cathedral have little maps of the routes on the back, and the Variante Espiritual is mentioned there ("Para poder obtener la Compostela, la variante espiritual debe iniciarse, como mínimo en Porriño o Vigo"). Why would they mention it if they don't recognize it?

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For clarity, I will be walking from Porto. I will enter Spain at Tui, I will walk through O porrino. At Ponteverdra there is a choice to be made re: the EV. The final day of the EV from Villanova to Padron is 22 miles. I believe it to be a distance I am unable to cover in a day. There does not appear to be a good way to spread the stage into 2 days. If I take the boat that day, will a Compostela be issued? If I’m reading the responses correctly, it seems like I can continue with this plan, take the boat and received a Compostela. Am I understanding this correctly? Sadly this feels clear as mud for me right now.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For clarity, I will be walking from Porto. I will enter Spain at Tui, I will walk through O porrino. At Ponteverdra there is a choice to be made re: the EV. The final day of the EV from Villanova to Padron is 22 miles. I believe it to be a distance I am unable to cover in a day. There does not appear to be a good way to spread the stage into 2 days. If I take the boat that day, will a Compostela be issued? If I’m reading the responses correctly, it seems like I can continue with this plan, take the boat and received a Compostela. Am I understanding this correctly? Sadly this feels clear as mud for me right now.
Yes, you can take the boat and receive a Compostela. I did it last month. The boat trip was one of the highlights of the route for me, after the stretch immediately after Armenteira (Ruta da Pedra e da Auga, but I had walked this part at least 3 times before). I don't recommend walking Vilanova-Pontecesures, as it's a long stage, mostly on roads.

What a shame it would be if pilgrims walking from Porto or even further away couldn’t qualify for the Compostela just because they chose to walk the Variante Espiritual! Having walked the Central Route previously, our most recent Camino from Porto included the VE. To honor my wife’s father, we walked to remember him (vicarie pro). For this reason, in part, the Variante held particular meaning to us as it included a visit to and overnight at the Monestario Armenteria. The final leg, the boat from Vilanova de Aruza to Pontecesures was perhaps the most reflective and spiritual segment of our Camino. Getting to see the numerous cruceiros along this route would make most take pause to appreciate the role the pilgrimage has played in people’s lives for centuries. In any case not only did we get our Compostelas in Santiago, we also picked up the Pedronía certificate at the municipal albergue in Padrón for having walked the VE.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Forgive me, for asking re: a topic frequently discussed; But I’m having difficulty finding the thread. When walking the Variante Espiritual, if one takes the boat is it possible to obtain a...
Does it matter which side of the boat you sit on? Looking forward to the journey!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back