• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Birding on the Camino Madrid

Donna Sch

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra '15; Levante-Invierno '19
I'm an amateur birdnerd and I've just been looking at a list of endangered birds. The area between Tres Cantos and Segovia in particular seems to be a birding hotspot. Just wondering what people have seen.
I'm hoping to justify taking my real camera!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240915-145420.png
    Screenshot_20240915-145420.png
    626.6 KB · Views: 269
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m sorry I can’t help with that section of the Madrid, but last year I did see a flock of Great Bustards as I was walking towards Santervas (from Villalon de Campos). That was the third week of May. Impressive birds!
I'm so sorry you had this experience. Did these Bastards give you any trouble? Did they try to rob you? I recommend, for the next time, to call the Spanish version of 911. The other option is to lie flat on the ground and pretend you are dead; they, then, will probably show no interest. I hope the rest of your Camino is uneventful.. Chuck

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
I am not a birder - but right after Tres Cantos (you walk down to a river that you follow for a good while) the bird song was amazing. I took out my phone and the Merlin (bird song identification) app and used it every day on that Camino (usually looking up the same songs over and over!). I did not keep a list or all the recordings on the app -- but I did keep a few of them, and here are some of the birds that Merlin identified (mid-April): nightingale, blackbird, short-toed treecreeper, european goldfinch, chaffinch, crested tit, coal tit, western bonelli's warbler, dunnock, skylark, corn bunting, calandra lark, cirl bunting, european robin....There definitely would have been others; I know I deleted some recordings. Others know better than I do how accurate the app is! The birds were one of my favourite things on the Madrid!

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
I'm an amateur birdnerd and I've just been looking at a list of endangered birds. The area between Tres Cantos and Segovia in particular seems to be a birding hotspot. Just wondering what people have seen.
I'm hoping to justify taking my real camera!
It’s going to be dependent on when you’re walking. Lots of passage migrants in spring and autumn. All sorts wintering in the (sadly rapidly declining wetlands) summer season not a lot other than the finches and warblers and the cohorts of raptors that find them to be the perfect tapa.

I’d be more inclined to take a decent, light as possible, binocular. You’d need a heavy lens to get up close and personal.

Good luck and happy birding

I’m sorry I can’t help with that section of the Madrid, but last year I did see a flock of Great Bustards as I was walking towards Santervas (from Villalon de Campos). That was the third week of May. Impressive birds!
Just in case anyone needs acquainting with the song of the Great Bustard, or just needs cheering up on a dreary day, I recommend this informative video.

It’s going to be dependent on when you’re walking. Lots of passage migrants in spring and autumn. All sorts wintering in the (sadly rapidly declining wetlands) summer season not a lot other than the finches and warblers and the cohorts of raptors that find them to be the perfect tapa.
We will be on the Madrid in May and we are doing a slow camino.

I’d be more inclined to take a decent, light as possible, binocular. You’d need a heavy lens to get up close and personal.

Good luck and happy birding
I have the camera. Just trying to justify 2.4kg of camera stuff. My 100-500 lens is actually lighter than my 70-250. I need to load up my backpack and try it out. I can carry 13 kg comfortably in my Aarn pack so I figure I can keep the other stuff down to 6-7 kg, it is doable.

Attachments

• PXL_20240915_040541312.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20240915_040541312.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
Ok. And if you’re in no rush: early mornings on or near any patch of damp you can find should offer opportunities. And, as you’ll know, the two hours into sunset anywhere there’s cover will be productive. Unfortunately that leaves you walking in the heat. Worth spending time on the maps and picking out targets.

Just in case anyone needs acquainting with the song of the Great Bustard, or just needs cheering up on a dreary day, I recommend this informative video
What a show, not even considering the sound effects!

My 100-500 lens is actually lighter than my 70-250
I have a compact Panasonic Lumix that has quite a decent 3O× optical zoom. Not as perfect as an SLR with a long lens, but quite respectable. And you don't have much to lug around.
P1050354.JPG

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Worth spending time on the maps and picking out targets.
I'm hitting up hotspots on ebird/iNaturalist already! If I have time I might whip up a summary doc and post it on the forum.
Just in case anyone needs acquainting with the song of the Great Bustard, or just needs cheering up on a dreary day, I recommend this informative video.
That is one bird call I will remember!
What a show, not even considering the sound effects!

I have a compact Panasonic Lumix that has quite a decent 3O× optical zoom. Not as perfect as an SLR with a long lens, but quite respectable. And you don't have much to lug around.
View attachment 177721
My other half has ruined me as far as cameras go. He buys me stuff that I wouldn't even consider buying due to the expense. I don't look up the prices of what they are worth! I have a nice Nikon bridge camera which weighs about 1 kg but I rarely use it as the quality of the photos doesn't compare (and the batteries run out in no time due to the motorised lens). So I'm willing to consider the extra weight.
I suspect he will take his Olympus. That is an excellent travel camera, very well designed and so much lighter than his Nikon set up. Here's a brolga I spotted a couple of weeks ago taken with my Canon.

Attachments

• 4M7A3421.jpg
    4M7A3421.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10

Most read last week in this forum

I'm an amateur birdnerd and I've just been looking at a list of endangered birds. The area between Tres Cantos and Segovia in particular seems to be a birding hotspot. Just wondering what people...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back