AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
Olà,
We'll be starting our Caminho Português in a few days. We're on our way to Lisboa from Málaga (by train and bus), and as I was enjoying my last tinto de verano con limón, I wondered what the equivalent might be in Portugal.
My darling and I enjoy also an Aquarius Limón, which I assume might not be available in Portugal?
Any suggestions of refreshing drinks (non alcoholic and light) for our next two months in Portugal?
Obrigado!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When on my portugese caminos and not able to find Aquarius, my go to was Sumol and iced tea cans.
If it was offered, I would never sat no to freshly squeezed orange juice. Oh so refreshing!

Also when available, I'd get the supermarket version of Aquarius, in the bigger bottles, it's cheaper that way, only really noticed those once I crossed into Spain though.

Last edited:
I recall finding iced tea (in cans) readily available, and I would get an Aquarius when I saw it, but cannot now recall whether I had to wait to get into Spain for that. Most places where I had dinner had a zero alcohol beer available. Other than that, there was the usual range of gaseous soft drinks to sample. If these included something 'local' that I hadn't seen before, I would try that. Having said that, it was often disappointing to find that these 'local' products are made by the big brand names anyway. I found this elsewhere in my recent travels, so it is not a marketing strategy limited to Spain and Portugal.

I hope you enjoy your pilgrimage. I know that you are much better at keeping your fellow forum members informed about your progress than I am, so I am looking forward to hearing more about this venture.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
My favorite during the walking hours was iced tea, which is known simply as 'Nestea' in the restaurants. Not sure if a non-alcoholic version of radler is available over there. I can get it at home (Canada) but in Portugal and Spain the radler is available and is low-alcohol. Extremely refreshing after a day of walking! 😋

I hope you enjoy your pilgrimage. I know that you are much better at keeping your fellow forum members informed about your progress than I am, so I am looking forward to hearing more about this venture.
Thank you @dougfitz !
I'll try to report in the forum, in particular our unofficial was out of Lisboa.
You can also follow my steps in FindPenguins.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I think that we will need your name on Find Penguins.
Andrew and Rachel Guillaume
You can also follow our current travel here.

Edit: I have removed the link, as I have been receiving unwanted requests.
If you genuinely want to follow me on FindPenguins, send me a private message, and expect me to want to follow you in return.
Mods: can you please make sure the link has disappeared? Thank you!

Last edited:
This is the first year I've seen this commercially bottled tinto de verano limao in the various grocery stores...certainly here in central Portugal, north of Lisboa...it sounds as if it might be quite like Aquarius--I'm not familiar with that.

Comes in single cans and also in these bigger bottles. Bottled by Schweppes, Portugal, and definitely seems to be being pushed in supermarkets--and it disappears fast! Available both in the big supermercados and in minimercados.

Very good cut 50/50 with agua com gaz...and a dollop of gin added is also nice, if you're that way inclined!

Bom caminho!

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Aquarius is readily available on the Central. I was just there and drank a LOT of it. I don't remember it being there last time I was there (2018), so maybe Aquarius has expanded their reach...

I sometimes order a Panaché at the bar or cafe when I’m thirsty but want something lighter in alcohol. It’s a mix of beer and lemon-lime soda.

Aquarius is readily available on the Central. I was just there and drank a LOT of it. I don't remember it being there last time I was there (2018), so maybe Aquarius has expanded their reach...
Just looked it up, cuz I live in central Portugal and haven't seen this. It's a Cocacola product. It looks as if it's much more common in Spain than here in Portugal. Maybe just getting introduced.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is the first year I've seen this commercially bottled tinto de verano limao in the various grocery stores...certainly here in central Portugal, north of Lisboa...it sounds as if it might be quite like Aquarius--I'm not familiar with that
Aquarius is more like Gatorade, whereas tinto de verano is red wine mixed with a lemon soda like Kas Limón.

Delta is a brand of coffee roasted in Portugal. My husband and I've come across that brand a few times in bars in Spain and I would imagine you'll see it advertised on bar signs in Portugal. We thought it was the best coffee we've ever found on a Camino. We are looking forward to having it on the Portuguese Coastal walk we are planning for this coming spring.

Fresh aqueezed Orange Juice! Most of the large supermarkets and many of the smaller ones have self service machines for OJ. A liter was generally about 3E.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Olà,
We'll be starting our Caminho Português in a few days. We're on our way to Lisboa from Málaga (by train and bus), and as I was enjoying my last tinto de verano con limón, I wondered what the equivalent might be in Portugal.
My darling and I enjoy also an Aquarius Limón, which I assume might not be available in Portugal?
Any suggestions of refreshing drinks (non alcoholic and light) for our next two months in Portugal?
Obrigado!
My absolute favourite was Pedras con limon ... it is a citrussy and very refreshing drink, slightly carbonated and not too sweet.

Pedras.JPG

Olà,
Obrigado!
One that I have heard of that is quite delectable is what is referred to as a 'drink of Christ.' It tastes quite good and it is free. Chuck

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
One that I have heard of that is quite delectable is what is referred to as a 'drink of Christ.' It tastes quite good and it is free. Chuck
You're surely not suggesting they drink dihydrogen monoxide are you? It has a pH value of 7 (hydrochloric acid is only pH3.5) causes oxidation in certain metals, and in its solid format has been know to cause large ships to sink. Not only that but "fish make love in it" (Noel Coward - but he didn't say "make love")

Aquarius is more like Gatorade, whereas tinto de verano is red wine mixed with a lemon soda like Kas Limón.
So not non-alcoholic then . . . ;)

(Sorry, it's been a long, hot day and the garden is still a mess)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Shandy in English, Clara in Spanish, not sure what it's called in Portuguese.
Panaché or radler--they should understand both. The commercially bottled stuff that's often sold in bars or cafés is Sagres-brand Radler. It's pretty good. It should cost about the same as a normal bottled beer. Probably about 1.5 euros, maybe a bit less in small cafés.

Sagres is one of the two big beer companies. I don't think Superbock, the other big beer company, makes a radler--or possibly distributes it only in northern Portugal. Sagres is more common generally, as beer, in the south and round Lisboa.

While on the topic, is ColaCao available in Portugal, or is there a Portuguese equivalent?
Just looked it up because I hadn't heard of it.

Now I remember it. I have seen jars/tins of it occasionally in grocery stores--it's not all that common or popular, I suspect. Not in one-serving packets, as you sometimes get it in hotels in Spain.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Most read last week in this forum

We are still in Lisbon at a hotel waiting to get to Porto. We are a day behind our desired schedule. Being here is so different from watching everyone’s videos and instructions. Hubby is thinking...
Greetings from Portugal, We are currently in the town of Santarem. We have met some wonderful folks and we have a question. Does anyone know if there is a way to transport backpacks from here to...
We are walking the Camino Portuguese today and the fires outside of Albergaría a Velha forced us to evacuate to Sao Joao da Madeira. I am trying to find the best resource to check on our path to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back