• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best apps for offline maps?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino are my go to apps for offline maps of the Camino.

I also like mapy.cz

The Spanish government app "Mapas de España" gives very high quality topographic maps. Camino routes are marked on the maps and gps route files can be used as an overlay.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
OsmAnd is free general-purpose map and navigating app that uses also-free downloadable maps. It is feature-rich. The free version permits downloading up to, I think, three maps. One can make it show all sorts of user-selectable points of interest. One can optionally also use it to record your tracks.

One can purchase a $ version called OsmAnd+ (it's not costly) that permits downloading as many free maps as will fit on your device.

I love it and use it constantly, not just on Camino.

I use a map app (OSMand) with the route marked on my phone. Once you have downloaded the map of the area you're in, you don't need to be connected to wifi or data to use the map!

https://osmand.net/

Once you install the app, download the regional maps for your camino route from within the app.

Next use the web browser on your phone to download gpx route from the Dutch camino association. (Scroll down until you find the table for Spain.)

https://www.santiago.nl/downloads/

Once you have the gpx route on your phone, you can display it over maps within OSMand from My Places -> Import Favourite.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, just reading up about the Altus poncho … is it 100% absolutely waterproof in heavy, even torrential rain? I am looking to buy a new rain jacket or poncho for my next Camino in March/April...
After my first Camino, I made several adjustments to my packing list for this year in the hope of being more efficient. Here’s a breakdown of what I changed and why: Lighting: Last time, I didn't...
What is most prominent on the trail? I have a pair of three section telescoping poles. They don't fold into thirds but slide longer or shorter. They are great but still quite tall when compressed...
I received a notification from FindPenguins that the app is now completely free - it's no longer a two tiered system with basic free accounts and premium accounts. https://findpenguins.com/
I am staying at Hospedería San Martin Pinario while I volunteer at the Pilgrim’s office in late October to early November. I’m wondering if they provide toiletries such as soap, shampoo, etc. or...
Hello, I'll be walking Frances in October starting from SJPdP. It's my first time walking. My backpack is now 7.5kg all included but I'm looking to reduce weight. I'm looking for advice re...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.