• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best 100KM route ( max 15 km per day -7/8 days max)

Unweekends

American - planning 1st time Camino
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2025
In previous threads by me I was going to attempt the whole Camino, but decided it's not gonna work for me to get that much time away from work.

I decided I do, however, want to do a 100KM route so that I can at least get a taste of the Camino & also earn my certificate.

My criteria is the pilgrimage needs to be under 8 days, and each walking day should ideally be between 10-15 KM. The shorter walking distance is due to the fact that I am not in the best shape & don't want to hate the experience by overdoing. I will train for at least 6 months in advance, but I'm no athlete.

The time of year will be September or early October next year (2025).

With this in mind I am looking for advice on the best route that fits these parameters. What route has the flattest terrain ( the least amount of uphill/downhill)?

Right now based on my limited research, the Camino Ingles from Ferrol looks like it. But I don't know if it is too physically challenging or if there is an easier alternative.

Thanks!

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Hello
I know it's semantics but looking at the lower end of your stated projections ( under 8 days at 10 to 15km/day) - 7 * 10 = 70. No Compostela. Perhaps recalculate
Every Camino has its tough challenges and easy days. Quite a lot of gols are not in the best shape (I know I wasn't). If you're stating that you will train then train as hard as you can and don't worry about the route.
Now that said... although I didn't walk it IIRC some folks suggested Portuguese as pretty flat.
I'm sure you'll hear from other members
Good luck and Buen Camino

I decided I do, however, want to do a 100KM route so that I can at least get a taste of the Camino & also earn my certificate.
You can only receive a compostela if your 100km actually finish in Santiago, so a good option would be the Camino Inglès, a tad over 100km if you start from Ferrol, and a very pleasant route in its own right.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have only walked 3 different "Last 100 km" routes into or out of Santiago so far.
From Muxia, Fisterra Santiago. Quite a few hills. A couple steep.
Last part of the Invierno. Quite a few hills.
Last part of the Frances from Sarria. A few hills but nothing too bad.

More flat?

The Ingles. Looking at the Gronze profile, seems more hilly than the three above.
Maybe the last part of the Portuguese as @jungleboy suggests? Looks flatter than the others......

In previous threads by me I was going to attempt the whole Camino, but decided it's not gonna work for me to get that much time away from work.

My criteria is the pilgrimage needs to be under 8 days, and each walking day should ideally be between 10-15 KM. The shorter walking distance is due to the fact that I am not in the best shape & don't want to hate the experience by overdoing. I will train for at least 6 months in advance, but I'm no athlete.

With this in mind I am looking for advice on the best route that fits these parameters. What route has the flattest terrain ( the least amount of uphill/downhill)?

Right now based on my limited research, the Camino Ingles from Ferrol looks like it. But I don't know if it is too physically challenging or if there is an easier alternative.

Thanks!
french way. there is a lot of road on the inglés and not sure of you have accommodation every 10 kms. perhaps the portuguese way is the least challenging regarding elevation gain and loss.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Frances from Sarrria is apparently far easier than the Inglés, also a lot easier to break up as you desire ( although it’s definitely doable, just takes more planning - there’s other threads on that if you decide to do the Inglés- which I loved).

The last section of the Portuguese is also relatively easy, and, again, with loads of infrastructure.

I’ve done 3 “last 100km” walks - from Sarria, from Porrino (a day less than starting at Tui and still 100km), and Ingles. I would say the Portugues was overall the easiest but the Ingles was my favorite, and most of it is very flat. Plus if you are taking more time, staying in Presidio or Beche will break up the hardest stage.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Frances from Sarrria is apparently far easier than the Inglés, also a lot easier to break up as you desire ( although it’s definitely doable, just takes more planning - there’s other threads on that if you decide to do the Inglés- which I loved).
Easier to break up, yes. Easier vis-a-vis elevation gains? No, I would dispute that.

I have only walked 3 different "Last 100 km" routes into or out of Santiago so far.
From Muxia, Fisterra Santiago. Quite a few hills. A couple steep.
Last part of the Invierno. Quite a few hills.
Last part of the Frances from Sarria. A few hills but nothing too bad.

More flat?

The Ingles. Looking at the Gronze profile, seems more hilly than the three above.
Maybe the last part of the Portuguese as @jungleboy suggests? Looks flatter than the others......
From muxia, finisterre to Santiago does not qualify for the compestella I was told by the pilgrim office this June 2024. That info comes from the church. You do get 2 certificates from SdC to Muxia, and one in Finisterre.
I think the Ingles would be a good choice, from Ferrol or Portugese from Tui. Miki Goldie

From muxia, finisterre to Santiago does not qualify for the compestella I was told by the pilgrim office this June 2024.
Perhaps there was some confusion, but if you start from Finisterre or Muxía, and walk between the two, then on to Santiago, it is more than 100 km and does qualify for a Compostela.

In fact, when you look at the Compostela registration form you can see that this route is one of the options:

Screenshot 2024-08-28 202203.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
From muxia, finisterre to Santiago does not qualify for the compestella I was told by the pilgrim office this June 2024. That info comes from the church. You do get 2 certificates from SdC to Muxia, and one in Finisterre.
I think the Ingles would be a good choice, from Ferrol or Portugese from Tui. Miki Goldie

Really? We were planning to do that next year :-(
Muxia-Fisterra-SDC is over 100 kms.
You did walk between Muxia and Fisterra?
Got your 2 stamps a day etc etc ?

I know it doesn't qualify the other way.
Walking 'from' SDC to Fisterra - Muxia.
Because you are not walking to SDC, but away from it.
I got the certificates in Fisterra and Muxia last year doing it in that direction.

I'm talking about in reverse.
Walking over 100 kms back to SDC.

Perhaps there was some confusion, but if you start from Finisterre or Muxía, and walk between the two, then on to Santiago, it is more than 100 km and does qualify for a Compostela.

In fact, when you look at the Compostela registration form you can see that this route is one of the options:

View attachment 176852

Has anyone successfully done this? Recently?

If I drag the 'Boss' over 100 kms and she misses out...........I might have to go on the run :oops:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thanks!
I suggest the Portuguese from Tui to Santiago. You can do it in 8 days. Take a train from Porto to Valença. Cross the border bridge to Tui. We did it in June. It was a wonderful experience.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And from what I can make out the church in Tui is a fantastic place to visit (a huge welcoming "front door") as the start point
Portuguese way..Take the train to Valença. Walk across the border brigde. Stay at Casa de Barca in Tui. It is right on the camino. Juana is a wonderful host. There is a steep hill walking to the Cathedral in Tui. Beautiful church. We took the most beautiful photos on the way between Tui and Porrino. Beautiful forest walk.
Take the complementary path before you get to Porrino.
So many camino options. Still time to decide.

My favorite final 100km (or a bit more) is the Portuguese from Tui, including the Variante Espiritual.
I agree, Tui is quite easy to get to ... a flight into Porto, a train to Valenca, walk across the bridge, and presto! you are in Tui. Only a few hills to give you an idea of other trails, plenty of history, friendly people, good food, lovely scenery, etc. And for me, the cherry on the cake is the cathedral experience in Santiago, whether you get a Compostela or not.

Has anyone successfully done this? Recently?

If I drag the 'Boss' over 100 kms and she misses out...........I might have to go on the run :oops:
The Beloved has her Compostela for walking Fisterra/Muxia/Santiago (or maybe Muxia/Fisterra/Santiago? My diaries are in the attic. I remember there was some discussion because her credencial showed she'd walked from Santiago but was accepted because she had walked to Santiago after wherever the hell it was we did the to bit from) . The route can be registered on the PO's website. Therefore it's a route.

ps: don't forget to get a sello in Lires

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm starting the camino on sept. 27 in Leon. I'm a bit apprehensive to start the journey alone. Are any other ladies going to be starting then also and want to walk that first leg? OR, are there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.