Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Becoming a Pilgrim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck and buen camino! I have enjoyed reading various posts of yours as you have been gearing up for this over the past few months. I hope it’s everything you dreamed it would be!

P.S. Since I believe you’re from Puerto Rico, I’ll add that I am currently covering basketball at Paris 2024 and I enjoyed watching and talking to some of the Puerto Rican players this week. They didn’t get the results they were hoping for, but qualifying teams for the Olympics in both tournaments is a great achievement for what is, as more than one player said, a small island. Onwards and upwards for them and for you!

Vulnerable Post…

Tomorrow I leave the comforts of my life and begin the grueling process of becoming a Pilgrim.

I am mindful of the enormity of what I’m trying to accomplish, trying to summon the willingness to face whatever the Camino shows me. Whether it is hardship, pain, blessings, joy, sorrows, grace, victory, or defeat, I am praying that I’m up to what will be required for me and that I’m open to whatever lessons I need to learn.

I sense that something monumental, a major transformation, a metamorphosis, will take place as I walk. I’m already feeling tectonic shifts in my psyche, and I won’t be the same when I return. I’m getting in touch with a sense of sacredness and solemnity that has been lacking in my life.

I’m terrified and excited. I have complex PTSD, lately I’ve done very well, but this will be a psychological “stress test”. There’s only so much I can process at a therapist’s office, and I hope I can learn how to relate better to others in more organic circumstances. I know I can fail and must be willing to accept failure with grace. I also know that I can succeed and must be willing to accept triumph with humility.Because both are equally valid ways of experiencing the miracle that is life.

I head tomorrow to Miami, the next day I fly to Madrid. After spending a few days in SJPDP, I plan to start walking the Camino Francés on August 11, into the unknown.

I will not be the same after this, hopefully I’ll be a better man.

I’m grateful for the advice and support I’ve received in this forum, much appreciated!
Paisano, I’m also from Puerto Rico and reside in Florida. Wishing you the very best on your Camino. Your post made me choke up a little as I realized I can’t wait to do a fourth Camino. Buen Camino and keep us posted. Prayers your way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, it works for me, but I have a Facebook account and check it regularly. Not everyone does.

There is no easy answer here. Many of us are conflicted on where/how/if to post our daily updates. There are pros and cons to any platform. If you want to upload a lot of videos, that entails another set of issues. I question whether short videos are worth the effort. Perhaps a caption on a photo could suffice.

I suggest that you pick the easiest place for you, because it will likely get more tedious after many tiring days and frustrations with uploads. If you are most familiar with Facebook, use it as your first record. Then you can also copy-and-paste some text to a forum thread, or just make a short comment for the forum.

You can put your Facebook name (and a link) at the start of your new LIVE thread so people who are willing to use Facebook can follow it. You could also put the name/link in your forum signature, but that might not be so easy when you are using a phone.

Many people like FindPenguins as a place to record their journeys. I still prefer a Wordpress blog.

You just need to find what works best for you, with the least pressure and stress. It is easy to let this public diarizing become a burden, which is NOT what you want!
Thanks! I do have experience doing this when chronicling my piano camps. I set those postings to “Public” and it supposedly means that anybody, in or out of FB can see the posts. My usual daily life posts are set to “friends only” so I only set posts to “public” only on certain topics. It seems to work for me…

I just attended the Pilgrim Blessing at the church service just now.

…I am now a Pilgrim…

Here’s my FB link, since I set it to Public, anybody in or out of FB can see it, let me know if it doesn’t.

I shall start a new Live From The Camino thread.
My name is Hector, so the thread title will be: Hector Walks His Way
See y’all tomorrow, from the Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You could also put the name/link in your forum signature, but that might not be so easy when you are using a phone.
Not too hard but maybe not worth it because the signature is not easily seen by smartphone users; they have to know where to find it. The signature is seen on posts by readers who use a PC.

If you want to add or edit a signature on a phone select your avatar at the top of a thread page where the envelope, bell, lightning bolt and magnifying glass are and Signature will be in the menu that shows up.

You just need to find what works best for you, with the least pressure and stress. It is easy to let this public diarizing become a burden, which is NOT what you want!
I agree. That was very frustrating for me on the CF but I did keep messages going to friends. On my Catalan I started a Live From thread but ended up quickly apologizing and quit.

Many people like FindPenguins as a place to record their journeys
Find Penguins also has an option to post to Facebook.

I do have time constraints, and I’m not sure how I’ll do walking through mountains (live in flat FL), and the damned cPAP machine is heavy, but I get your point. I guess I’m getting “newbie jitters”. There is also the emotional aspect of it, as I’m most definitely out of my comfort zone. But I’m very comfortable with the discomfort and looking forward to the experience.
I completely relate to being out of one's comfort zone and my thoughts are with you. We each will have our own challenges. Some show more in the surface; some are much more internal. I wish you well, fellow pilgrim.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
But yet ... ;)
Yes I remember that scene from a few months back doing my virtual tours and I seem to remember it as a convent converted to a museum? - where is it?

But the one I was talking about is this
santiago11.jpg
which I am joyfully using as my Windows Background today.

This is the church where the OP says he attended 3 times and I read that it is considered the end of several Caminos coming from France and start point of Camino Frances (other direction).

In my own view (and I would love to be there in person like the OP) it has deep symbolism as the door of the church is open in welcome and there is a ramp to say even handicapped people like me can at least start their Camino here. Then the red sign sort of hints "this is pilgrims only - no cars".

But to cap it all off there are the green doors/gates that are LOCKED open as if to say please start your Camino here, and as you pass through the tunnel and onto the bridge a statue of the Holy Virgin looks down on you sort of saying "the Camino will provide".

I stress that these are my own views on a take it or leave it basis but hope the OP might take a photo of this start as he did in the church.

EDIT I also like the brown-red (in shade) effect of most of the image but with sunshine outside the doors to say "lets go it's sunny and warm out here"

Last edited:
Please keep to the original topic of the thread, if for no other reason out of respect and consideration for the person who created it. If you want to discuss camino routes going through churches (or not, as the case may be), start your own thread.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I do have time constraints, and I’m not sure how I’ll do walking through mountains (live in flat FL), and the damned cPAP machine is heavy, but I get your point. I guess I’m getting “newbie jitters”. There is also the emotional aspect of it, as I’m most definitely out of my comfort zone. But I’m very comfortable with the discomfort and looking forward to the experience.
How are you managing with your CPAP machine? I also use one and I’m planning a Camino next year. Apart from the weight of the machine, I wonder how you would manage to find a power point in a multi person dormitory that is not too far from your own bunk. You would probably need an extension cord ……and then hope nobody unplugs you during the night!

My first Pilgrim breakfast- croissant, OJ, Cafe con Leche. Pilgrim life at its best!
Currently awaiting the bus to SJPDP.
I might not “officially” be a Pilgrim, yet, but who cares!
Your pilgrim journey started the day you made a decision and started planning. Have a great camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...
Anyone struggling to find a place in Los arcos 6 km beyond is albergue sansol oasis.I can highly recommend excellent host and food
Hi, We walked the Camino de Santiago for the first time in May & June this year, and absolutely loved it. We plan on walking the first week again in October (with a view to going back later next...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
Apologies if this isn't the right thread, but I searched the forum and only saw threads about Portugal. I was googling for info about the fires, and Google Maps showed one in Spain. No idea how...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back