Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bear near Cadavo Baleira

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Beautiful animal and encouraging to see they still exist there. I live in the Blue Ridge mountains in Virginia and we have plenty of black bears as neighbors. They're good neighbors and only become a problem when humans get careless with food.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is only a matter of time before a pilgrim gets attacked as numbers of bears and their range increases. I read an article about bears in the Cambrian mountains. Conservationists are giddy with their successes, whilst locals are scared to leave their houses.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I read an article about bears in the Cambrian mountains. Conservationists are giddy with their successes, whilst locals are scared to leave their houses.
I think you may mean the Cantabrian mountains. I live fairly close to the Cambrian mountains and no one I know has any anxieties about bears.

It is only a matter of time before a pilgrim gets attacked as numbers of bears and their range increases. I read an article about bears in the Cambrian mountains. Conservationists are giddy with their successes, whilst locals are scared to leave their houses.

It’s been many centuries since bears were driven into extinction in the British Isles. I think you mean Cantabria in Spain

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
Black bears are everywhere in the mountains of California and coexist peacefully with people without issue except when it comes to scavenging for food. Trash cans and ice chests have to worry, but people do not. This is not something for pilgrims to be worried about.

Black bears are everywhere in the mountains of California and coexist peacefully with people without issue except when it comes to scavenging for food. Trash cans and ice chests have to worry, but people do not. This is not something for pilgrims to be worried about.
The bears in Spain are Eurasian brown bears (Ursus arctos arctos) - the same species as the North American grizzly though with characteristics different enough for them to be classified as a separate subspecies from their horribilis western cousins.

The bears in Spain are Eurasian brown bears (Ursus arctos arctos) - the same species as the North American grizzly though with characteristics different enough for them to be classified as a separate subspecies from their horribilis western cousins.
Yes, “different enough” because they shy away from human contact and are very timid. While physically they may resemble the North American grizzly, their personality is more like our black bears, which is why I referenced that. When people hear “bear” they become frightened, which is extremely unfortunate and the reason they were originally eradicated.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
Manch, you are right, it is only a matter of time before a pilgrim gets attacked. An extrapolation of the current probabilities suggests once in the next one thousand years. Unless there is a significant increase in the number of pilgrims dressed as beehives or dead sheep 😉

Can you share a link to this article, please?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I'm planning to do the Camino Primitivo this October and since it's a bit of a last minute I would love some advice. This will be my second Camino, after doing a part of the Frances a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.