• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Australians are becoming Camino converts in record numbers. Why?

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have noticed more chatter around my town but I have no explanation.

We had some of the most severe COVID lockdowns so that is a possible factor. Many Australians have walked a Camino over the last 20 years and that will be creating a growing compounding background conversation. There is The Australian movie The Way My Way also adding to the interest this year.

I read an AI summary of the article and it gave me the impression the article was a just another travel wishy washy opinion piece. It seems in Australia we have had a regular series of Camino articles every year for 10 or 15 years. The editors have it as a recurring topic in their travel section. That repetition eventually sinks in.

People are perhaps wanting to escape from the depressing global political news as wells as the ongoing depressing state of affairs in Australia.

Your question remains unanswered.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A pretty good article. Here is a snippet.
>>
Of the 466,000 pilgrims recorded by the Santiago Pilgrim’s Reception Office as finishing it in 2023, only a third claimed to have walked it for religious reasons, according to one of the office volunteers, John Rafferty. “For some people there may be an epiphany. But for most people it is the alchemy of everything coming together,” he says. “The scenery, the friendship, the laughter, the pathos, the time just walking for hours on your own, mulling over things in your life, like where have I been? Where am I going? How long have I got left? These are big questions for people to ponder. So it’s not surprising that change occurs after walking a Camino. The trip can be transcendent and transformational.”

Better known by his nom de plume, Johnnie Walker, this Scotsman is widely regarded as the world’s leading authority on the Camino. The 71-year-old former executive turned church organist first walked the Camino in 2007. He’s since walked 54, written 19 books on them and now lives in Santiago, a few minutes walk from the cathedral where the majority end their pilgrimage, and where he hears the click-clack of walking poles on the footpath most mornings. At the end of the walk, even non-Catholics usually attend a pilgrims’ mass, if only to see the giant incense-filled religious vessel called the botafumeiro swing into action.

Walker considers trekking the Camino a form of modern-day medicine. A divorced man with children back in Scotland, between walking and writing he now plays the organ in churches all over Spain. “I wanted a bridge to a different way of life, rather than sitting at my desk calculating my pension fund for retirement. I started walking but never expected to end up living in Spain. I never expected any of this.”
>>

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
“For some people there may be an epiphany. But for most people it is the alchemy of everything coming together,” he says. “The scenery, the friendship, the laughter, the pathos, the time just walking for hours on your own, mulling over things in your life, like where have I been? Where am I going? How long have I got left? These are big questions for people to ponder. So it’s not surprising that change occurs after walking a Camino. The trip can be transcendent and transformational.
What a good accurate summary.

Your question remains unanswered.
I think that I may have part of the answer. In my own experience two factors are involved: word-of-mouth (mine) and an Australian curiosity, long-service leave.
I know that I have been personally responsible for influencing five other people to walk the Camino. In each of these cases, the persons concerned travelled during a period of long-service leave. The latter is an amazing perk of working in any government job in Australia. Usually, after seven years of service you are entitled to 3 months of paid leave. Plenty of time for a Camino. I wouldn’t be surprised if early retirement is also a big factor.

Something connected to where we come from.
My roots are Celtic. And yours? and how do we connect with Santiago, with pilgrimage? That is the context. innocent. No angles. No politics.

Ah OK. Gotcha.

I'm British/Irish/Australian LOL

I was trying to work out how many Aussies might be from Spain. (Spanish roots)
Not a lot I reckon.

The Camino here in Australia does get a bit of attention.
Lots of local groups.
And I think a lot of 'Friends of Pilgrims' are encouraged to go.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
From my days of living in Sydney, I learned that Aussies are prone to walk abouts and many people in their younger years head for GB and Europe for a taste of something more continental than home. Can't blame them but I did it the other way around.

I think that I may have part of the answer. In my own experience two factors are involved: word-of-mouth (mine) and an Australian curiosity, long-service leave.
I know that I have been personally responsible for influencing five other people to walk the Camino. In each of these cases, the persons concerned travelled during a period of long-service leave. The latter is an amazing perk of working in any government job in Australia. Usually, after seven years of service you are entitled to 3 months of paid leave. Plenty of time for a Camino. I wouldn’t be surprised if early retirement is also a big factor.
As far as I know it's 3 months leave for every 10 years service.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
From my days of living in Sydney, I learned that Aussies are prone to walk abouts and many people in their younger years head for GB and Europe for a taste of something more continental than home. Can't blame them but I did it the other way around.
You're never too old to climb into the top bunk of a hostel.

I read an article on the Camino when recovering from surgery 18 years ago? Was touch and go and since I lived, well I've been on 3 or so now. Two short and one long. Soon for fourth? We will see. My way into "the way" was through pain management, perseverance and celebration of not passing. I needed a true walkabout.

I used to help host a catch up in Brisbane and the chatter when we met at the bakery was on people wanting a life milestone challenge. Empty nest families, lost singles like me and people just wanting to hear about getting out. Every one has those stages. Never did get my guide books back.

I haven't been to or sought any catch ups in Melbourne or in Sydney when I lived there and that's fine but it would have been nice to meet people and hear their stories. I have you lot for that!

In the end its your Camino and as it's your journey, each person comes to it differently. It may be that more Australians are waking up to going walkabout overseas Vs whistle stop tours of multiple countries. Maybe we are finally sick of Bali?

Anyway there's 2c from another Auzzie.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You're never too old to climb into the top bunk of a hostel.
Except on my French Camino I overheard a young woman commenting that she’d heard younger people on the camino have to get used to being in the top bunk (because of all the older walkers asking for a lower bunk).

An introduction-level article in the Sydney Morning Herald today:

From my perspective (Australian) is is simply a financial decision. I would prefer to spend 46 days walking a Camino in Spain/Portugal than trying to do a similar walk in Australia for a similar cost. I would be lucky to get maybe half that in Australia for a similar cost with the same options. I could possibly do it if I was prepared to camp in a tent - am not prepared to do that (does not appeal)

An introduction-level article in the Sydney Morning Herald today:

Some context can be useful.

This is an aticle prepared for a magazine-type insert into a weekend newspaper, published by an Australian commercial media company. The company is one of the larger and more reputable media companies, but the story is more of the "feel-good" genre than a genuine news story.

The 'increasing' numbers of Australian pilgrims is not necessarily what it seems - 2022 as was the end of the COVID pandemic lockdown period when international travel was not encouraged and not always readily available. Comparison with pilgrim numbers in later years is therefore hardly valid.

Two or three personal stories of a transformtive experince on the Camino is to be expected in such an article and should not necessarily be taken as the norm.

The timing of this article is interesting - coming shortly after the first screening of Bill Bennet's film "The Way My Way" in Australia. 'Product Placement' does come to mind...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Not just government employees, anyone who has been in the same job for ten years, although casualisation and short term contracts has reduced the number of workers entitled to it. The precise terms may vary between enterprise agreements. Still a fantastic thing if you get it, as I was able to.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back