• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for clothing in November on Camino Frances

TulasiPriya

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
Is November on the Frances considered autumn or winter? Right now, I have some very light merino long johns and silk long johns that I plan to take, as well as merino socks. All the other winter clothing I have is too bulky. What should I get?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Many who go at this time wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed. Here are a kit list and tips from the viewpoint of a woman who often walked in late autumn and winter.

Good luck with your plans and Carpe Diem!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Start by thinking about what you would wear on a nice autumn day when you start walking on a chilly morning. What layer will you remove when it warms up? What if an unexpected rain comes in? Then, what dry clothes will you have to wear to dinner in the evening and to sleep?

I often layer up on a chilly morning with a merino tank top, a light merino long sleeved layer, a sun shirt over the top, with buff and gloves. The buff and gloves might come off at about 30 minutes, and then the long sleeved merino comes off at my first break when I remove my pack. Or I might wear those layers all day. My rain jacket and pants are light weight and can be added as necessary, with the appropriate amount of layering underneath. The rain gear serves for either rain or winter weather.

I walked the CF last October with two weeks of rain. I wore a merino wool T-shirt, long sleeved hiking shirt, long hiking pants, raincoat, rain pants, warm hat, bike gloves and umbrella. I was comfortable walking and didn't remove any layers. I also used hiking poles. When I arrived in Santiago and stopped walking I was freezing so bought a knee length coat which I wore on the plane home

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In November , along the Frances, the weather should be crisp and dry during the day, unless it is cloudy and raining. The sun will still be warm, but rides lower across the sky from sunrise to sunset.

Use layering, as others have correctly said. Plan for continuous stretches of rain - and it will be a raw cold rain in November. While everyone has a rain gear choice, I always bring a sil-nylon hiking poncho to cover "everything." I also wear a waterproof parka with armpit zips.

Bring a pair of microfiber gloves, a stretch "watch" cap, and several Buffs.

Redundancy is good. Hyperthermia is bad - very bad. I would much prefer being hot, sweaty and wet, to being cold and wet, at any time of year. But in November, it is a definitely more a safety issue than a comfort issue.

Stay safe, stay warm - even if the trade off is sweating under your layers. You can always do things to cool down. But once you are hyperthermic, it is difficult to get warm, especially without help.

As temperatures will start to drop into single digits, celsius, overnight. Plan for cold early morning starts. Many of the albergues or hostals that are still open may not have much heat. A lot of them just turn the heat on for an hour or so in the morning to help pilgrims get up, and out.

You may have to push off early in the morning with single digit temperatures and perhaps icicles on the rain gutters. The light icing goes away as soon as the sun comes up though. Be careful as the early moring frost, or overnight showers do make for slippery walking surfaces. I advise using walking poles.

Finally, between about 15 October and the end of May, anticipate that snow CAN occur at elevations about about 700 meters ASL. If the overnight temperatures are low enough, and there is enough moisture in the air, you can wake up to a light blanket of snow.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I did a previous CF 13 Nov - 17 Dec. Next one starts 13 Oct 24 and should finish 18 Nov or thereabouts. I’m rethinking it all this time in favour of pulling out backpack weight. That’s more important to me than comfort during the day. So I will layer less. I will leave behind a sleeping bag liner (although I debated leaving the sleeping bag behind and just taking the liner but couldn’t quite bring myself to risk it - I keep thinking of the Nov snow in O’Cebriero and on the Meseta from a prior Camino). I want the backpack at 7kgs max rather than my normal 9kgs and will sacrifice some daytime comfort to get it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All the other winter clothing I have is too bulky. What should I get?
My two cents. I have walked on the CF in November and December on 3 occasions. Yes my pack is a heavier then walking earlier. Who are you going to listen to some other pilgrims or a fellow New Yorker ;) ;) 😊 😊 I have one long sleeve mid weight Merino pullover shirt, gloves, beanie, buff (which I consider a must. It realy helps alot around my neck and face), mid weight long johns. I wear those under my pants that are lightweight and they do a great job when it is cold,lightweight down jacket, and a sleeping bag.
I bought the down jacket, the gloves, buff, long johns and merino wool top from the REI outlet. I am sure you know REI has so much to offer and has an amazingly good return policy. I actually have found it easier to buy online then going to the store. If something doesn't work you can go back to the store and exchange it. Of course that is if you live near an REI. About 4 caminos ago I bought a very light sleeping bag. It was labeled good for 15C (60F) or above from Decathlon when I was in Spain. It was just fine. On some really cold nights in Galicia I did wear my long johns and merino pullover and I slept fine. Also if it is really, really cold I will wear my light rain pants (also from REI outlet) and they provide really great insulation.
Oh yea I have a pair of midweight merino wool socks (REI outlet).

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.