• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

A Forum fault, or mine?

BarbaraW

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019/22, Portuguese 2023, Ingles 2024
Earlier this morning I clicked on the link in the now closed thread "Improve the pilgrim experience." I went straght through to the survey form, and to my horror found that my personal gmail address had been inserted. I was using my android phone and had my email in-box open in another window.
Is this a forum tech issue? If it's me doing something wrong I'd be very grateful if someone more techy than me could pm me so I can put it right.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Earlier this morning I clicked on the link in the now closed thread "Improve the pilgrim experience." I went straght through to the survey form, and to my horror found that my personal gmail address had been inserted. I was using my android phone and had my email in-box open in another window.
Is this a forum tech issue? If it's me doing something wrong I'd be very grateful if someone more techy than me could pm me so I can put it right.
If it helps, I reported your post so it can get prompt attention

Earlier this morning I clicked on the link in the now closed thread "Improve the pilgrim experience." I went straght through to the survey form, and to my horror found that my personal gmail address had been inserted. I was using my android phone and had my email in-box open in another window. Is this a forum tech issue? If it's me doing something wrong I'd be very grateful if someone more techy than me could pm me so I can put it right.
It's how Google works. If you are logged into one of Google's services or forgot to log out you are logged into all of Google's services.

When you write "had my email inbox open" I guess it was your Gmail inbox that was open. Which means that you were logged into Google's Gmail service. Log out of it and you are logged out of the link to the Google form in question and of all other Google forms, too. Check it out yourself: Log out of your Gmail and click on the link and see what happens then. I just did it and I would advise everybody else to do the same before they come up with new speculation as happened in the closed thread.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think it's because you filled out the form, and your browser has automatically logged in to Google Docs when you opened it. It has nothing to do with the forum, AFAIK.

I think it's because you filled out the form, and your browser has automatically logged in to Google Docs when you opened it. It has nothing to do with the forum, AFAIK.
Sorry but I really recommend that everybody who comes up with a theory tests it out first themselves. FYI: I did just that. I had filled out the form. My browser did not automatically log me into Google Docs. You do not know what's going on on the OP's device. She needs to test it herself. Is she logged into Gmail or not when this happens. That's how to check something out.

What the OP describes has nothing to do with this forum or with the setup of the questionnaire on Google's webpage .docs.google.com/forms.

Thank you. I didn't appreciate that this was how it worked. It's not something I've experienced with any other surveys I've completed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you. I didn't appreciate that this was how it worked. It's not something I've experienced with any other surveys I've completed.
It depends on where the questionnaire for a survey has been create and is stored. There are various platforms. In the past we had similar questionnaires on SurveyMonkey - a platform that identifies participants differently than Google's platform does for questionnaire forms and other forms.

What @Kathar1na says here:

Sorry but I really recommend that everybody who comes up with a theory tests it out first themselves. FYI: I did just that. I had filled out the form. My browser did not automatically log me into Google Docs. You do not know what's going on on the OP's device. She needs to test it herself. Is she logged into Gmail or not when this happens. That's how to check something out.

What the OP describes has nothing to do with this forum or with the setup of the questionnaire on Google's webpage .docs.google.com/forms.
I think you did not understand what I wrote, or you didn't read it carefully. This is exactly what I wrote: "It has nothing to do with the forum, AFAIK."

However, this point of view has been expressed several times, and what I think is the correct answer to the original question has been posted already.

On my side, I filled out the form to help that student.

I have a few Gmail accounts. I use one for this kind of "public" applications (forms, accounts on other websites, forums, blogs, etc.), and others for more private matters. I suggest anyone do the same, but remember that privacy is pretty limited over the internet, whatever policy you apply.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
My guess is that your device sensed a field that could be auto-filled and did so, being convenient to you. It can only do this if you have the feature turned on. It is frequently useful, by sometimes can cause difficulties - like in this Google powered survrey.

I recommend that you turn the AUTOFILL function OFF.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, is there a New Zealand camino sub forum here or on another online platform? Thanks Bernie
Is it possible to contact a contributor by email or whats app (or by mobile as we both live in Australia). I am planning another Camino in 2026 and am interested in the Torres and would like to...
I have forgotten how to find my past pics on forum any help?
Earlier this morning I clicked on the link in the now closed thread "Improve the pilgrim experience." I went straght through to the survey form, and to my horror found that my personal gmail...
Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place to post this, and I apologize if this topic has already been addressed. However, I’ve become increasingly concerned about the safety of some members on...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back