• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Camino and a Thesis

Quint

Time of past OR future Camino
-
Hi, wonderful Camino-forum people! With bated breath and a healthy dose of nervousness, I will start my Camino from Saint Jean the day after tomorrow (August 1, fittingly in a heatwave?) and equally healthily underprepared (but with a reservation in Orisson in hand- or in phone at least).

My long-time interest in the Camino has only led me to Spain now, but has also driven me to start writing my master's thesis on the Camino, so I will have the additional impulse to get out of my comfort zone to try to interview other Pilgrims for my studies. I will be doing ethnographic research, looking at what shapes the Pilgrimage experience on the Camino, and especially how this takes shape through practices, locations and interactions with others. I won't bore you with the rest of the details (unless you really want to), but all I can say is that I'm happy that doing this finally gives me the opportunity to do the Camino, and I get to enjoy the Camino for long after when writing everything, haha.

I hope to see some of you on the trail! Come say hi if you see a long-haired pilgrim with a silly UV-protection umbrella attached to his backpack!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
All the best. I walked for 60 days in spring and intended to be writing as I walked. I found in the end I threw up a blog post each evening and took a few notes in my OneNote document, but didn't get any serious writing done at all. It turned out to be more important to me to be really present and interact with the people I was meeting...and now, a month after returning home, I am doing the serious work of writing every day. As you say, it truly is a pleasure.

You may find your research limited only to people who want to talk after they find out you are a researcher which will thin out the subjects. (This from a retired professor.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am interested, and would love it if you were to post more about your research...
(Did an ABT Master in social anthropology many years ago.)

Most read last week in this forum

For the past couple of years, the mods have volunteered to create calendars that show forum members’ names, date of departure, and departure city. The hope is that it gives people a chance to...
Hello, I am going to be walking my first Camino this spring and will spend two weeeks in Spain. I will take a relaxed walk from Sarria to Santiago. I will be almost 79 years old and walk five...
Hello everyone, I’m Giacomo from Italy, and I’m excited to join this community!I’ve been running almost every day for years now, though typically for shorter distances. Recently, I’ve been...
I am in Larrasoaña.. is there a service to get my pack to pamplona in the morning?
in summer 2026! I walked solo in 2023 and when I returned home, I had my oldest daughter's wedding to focus on as it was just a few weeks after completing my Camino on July 1st 2023! After that...
Hi All, Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been on the Camino 3 times, but somehow I never ended up signing up for the forum. Glad to be part of this community. I live in Seattle and walked...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back