• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2025 Jakobsweb .cz .de .ch .fr

DowtyCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
May-Jn2014
May-Jn 2017
VF Jl-O 2021
Mar-My 2023
Hello everyone. Summer/Autumn 2025 we will start out in Prague and end at Le Puy.
As we walk through Germany, we will arrive at the Bodensee and have to choose to enter Switzerland through Kontanz or Bregenz-Rorschach, or via Ferry directly to Rorschach.
1) Has anyone done more than one of these that could offer a preferred route?
2) Also, can someone supply me with the best site for an updated lodging list for Jakobsweg in from Nurmberg to Bodensee, and/or Via Jacobi?

3) Finally, at Kandersteg CZ, instead of continuing along the Jacobi through Interlaken, we are going to detour south toward Grindelwald and catch the Via Alpini, crossing the Via Francigena at Martigny and on to the foot of Mont Blanc before joining back up with the Gebenesis to Le Puy. If anyone has any insights on any portion of this route I'd love to hear if you thing we're nuts, or if there are any major issues with this route.BW.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm in the process of doing something similar, except I'm walking from the Berlin area. I've written a thread about it elsewhere, only 370km in so far (unexpectedly interrupted). These links were given to me on my thread, I can't remember which was the more useful so hope that at least one of them helps.

Incidentally, my (current) route plan is:
Nuremberg - Neresheim
N - TĂĽbingen
T - Freiburg im Breisgau

France

Freiburg -Belefort,
B - Manfeure ( beginning of the Grandes Traversées du Jura - GTJ).
M - Culoz, around 10 km downstream from Motz. Cross the bridge and join the Via Gebennensis.
VG - VP - SJPdP

Spain
SJPdP - Irun , probably on a mix of the GR10 and the VNB

I hope to be heading out in spring, assuming life does not get in the way.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Incidentally, my (current) route plan is:
Nuremberg - Neresheim
N - TĂĽbingen
T - Freiburg im Breisgau

France

Freiburg -Belefort,
B - Manfeure ( beginning of the Grandes Traversées du Jura - GTJ).
M - Culoz, around 10 km downstream from Motz. Cross the bridge and join the Via Gebennensis.
VG - VP - SJPdP

Spain
SJPdP - Irun , probably on a mix of the GR10 and the VNB

I hope to be heading out in spring, assuming life does not get in the way.
Thank you. At this point everything is helpful. Buen Camino

I've walked quite a bit from Kandersteg (a lot in the immediate area, to the Valis via the Lötschepass, and part way over to Alelboden along the route you'll take. If you're fit and prepared and unafraid of serious ups and downs...why not? It will be unforgettable.

One suggestion is to download the SwissMobility map app, a essential resource.

I've walked quite a bit from Kandersteg (a lot in the immediate area, to the Valis via the Lötschepass, and part way over to Alelboden along the route you'll take. If you're fit and prepared and unafraid of serious ups and downs...why not? It will be unforgettable.

One suggestion is to download the SwissMobility map app, a essential resource.
Thank you. Do you have a recommended lodging resource in the area perhaps?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
At Martigny, if you have a rest day, go and see the Foundation Barry which breeds and looks after St Bernards dogs, like this one sitting waiting for its treat after being washed and groomed.

Attachments

• Foundation Barry.JPEG
    Foundation Barry.JPEG
    6.2 MB · Views: 7
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Check threads mentioning Via Jacobi and any german routes, there were a few fairly recent reports.
In the alpine sections there are mountain huts, but also check naturfreunde huts, schlaf im stroh, hotels and campings which may have dormitory-style accommodation.

Hello everyone. Summer/Autumn 2025 we will start out in Prague and end at Le Puy.
As we walk through Germany, we will arrive at the Bodensee and have to choose to enter Switzerland through Kontanz or Bregenz-Rorschach, or via Ferry directly to Rorschach.
1) Has anyone done more than one of these that could offer a preferred route?
2) Also, can someone supply me with the best site for an updated lodging list for Jakobsweg in from Nurmberg to Bodensee, and/or Via Jacobi?

3) Finally, at Kandersteg CZ, instead of continuing along the Jacobi through Interlaken, we are going to detour south toward Grindelwald and catch the Via Alpini, crossing the Via Francigena at Martigny and on to the foot of Mont Blanc before joining back up with the Gebenesis to Le Puy. If anyone has any insights on any portion of this route I'd love to hear if you thing we're nuts, or if there are any major issues with this route.View attachment 176811
I did both and were wonderful! Later on you will also have to choose between the lakes or the country side of Via Jacobi. Lakes are more beautiful and the country more isolated. A good idea for you to walk again later because CH is beautiful everywhere :)

I also hiked the via alpina and that’s an amazing plan, if you have the time, strength (and courage). Not too much to worry about at Via Jacobi, just make sure to have some food (and water) always available at Via Alpina and on the first week hiking the Gebennensis. Have fun!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I did both and were wonderful! Later on you will also have to choose between the lakes or the country side of Via Jacobi. Lakes are more beautiful and the country more isolated. A good idea for you to walk again later because CH is beautiful everywhere :)

I also hiked the via alpina and that’s an amazing plan, if you have the time, strength (and courage). Not too much to worry about at Via Jacobi, just make sure to have some food (and water) always available at Via Alpina and on the first week hiking the Gebennensis. Have fun!
Liica, in your last note you mentioned "make sure you have some food on.... on the first week of the Gegennensis." Is this the first week leaving from Geneva? Is this an area where supermarkets are scarce?
We typically buy at local markets or supermarkets and cook if the lodging has a kitchen.
When you say "I did both..." are you referring to the two different routes around Bodensee? Is there any way you'd recommend over the other? I'm sure they are both lovely. We've been to Bodensee but it was decades ago.

Check threads mentioning Via Jacobi and any german routes, there were a few fairly recent reports.
In the alpine sections there are mountain huts, but also check naturfreunde huts, schlaf im stroh, hotels and campings which may have dormitory-style accommodation.
Thank you. Good recommendations!

At Martigny, if you have a rest day, go and see the Foundation Barry which breeds and looks after St Bernards dogs, like this one sitting waiting for its treat after being washed and groomed.
When we travelled the VF from London to Rome, we went through Martigny and stayed at the pilgrim hostel in the crypt. It was fantastic. We then went over the Alps in to Italy at the GSB and stayed in the monastery there. We will have the priveledge of passing through Martigny again on this trek!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
No, sorry, I'm not much help there - I stay locally, not in hotels. Kandersteg is full of options, at least, and there is no shortage of alpine huts.
Here's something that may be of use:
We avoid hotels if possible and prefer to stay in pilgrim lodging where possible. When you say "you stay locally" are you referring to hostels, or are you fortunate enough to have friends and family along the way? It at all possible we want to stay in hostels/albergues/ostello's/monasteries/convents or peoples homes. Gites/pensions/gasthauses and campsites are next preferred and hotels as a last resort or for the rare splurge.

We avoid hotels if possible and prefer to stay in pilgrim lodging where possible. When you say "you stay locally" are you referring to hostels, or are you fortunate enough to have friends and family along the way? It at all possible we want to stay in hostels/albergues/ostello's/monasteries/convents or peoples homes. Gites/pensions/gasthauses and campsites are next preferred and hotels as a last resort or for the rare splurge.
Yes, I stay privately.
One place you might check is the Kandersteg International Scout Centre. In the Summer they may be full of scout groups but it worth checking.

I walked Rorschach - Ruti - Rappeswill and Ruti - Merstetten. I preferred the Rorscach route because it was more hilly and passed through St. Gallen, although there was a fair amount of road walking on both routes. Both have some very fine panoramas if the weather cooperates.

Don't miss the pilgerherberge in Brienzwiller (one stage before Interlaken), it was my favourite.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
WOW, thats a long amazing travel.
in 2017 I did Konstanz - Geneva - Le Puy-En-Velay. SjPdP, SdC to Porto.
in 2021 Via Alpina but probably not the way you like to do only part of it.
What are you planing after Kandersteg? Hiking over the Gemmipass to Leukerbad, Sierre? As some mountain passes are high and snow covered, they are not always open for hiking.
I have routes descriptions, accommodations (Hotels) for the above listed, saved on my blog elcaminohike.
As you have done VF you already know how lovely and expensive Switzerland is.

Liica, in your last note you mentioned "make sure you have some food on.... on the first week of the Gegennensis." Is this the first week leaving from Geneva? Is this an area where supermarkets are scarce?
We typically buy at local markets or supermarkets and cook if the lodging has a kitchen.
When you say "I did both..." are you referring to the two different routes around Bodensee? Is there any way you'd recommend over the other? I'm sure they are both lovely. We've been to Bodensee but it was decades ago.

Hi,
Yes, we should walk from Geneve to Le Puy but we gave up 7 days later due to the freaking hot sun, lack of water and so on. That was July/2020 if I’m not wrong.

If you search for Gebennensis I am sure I posted images with local markets, etc here in this forum.

In the VA and Jakobsweg you won’t have a problem since the infos they post are 99.9% reliable on official websites.

Yes, I did both routes in CH. For me it’s really hard to chose one, trust me. You will hardly find an ugly place there. Another fact is that my memory is so so SO bad and I’ve been in so many places, in so many Caminos since then, that for me it’s really hard to remember each stage, if you know what I mean. The only thing I can suggest is going through the interior (yellow on the picture) route if you go when it’s snowing. If it’s not snowing, chose the southern route.

For places to stay I suggest this: https://jakobsweg.ch/fr/eu/ch

Hi,
Yes, we should walk from Geneve to Le Puy but we gave up 7 days later due to the freaking hot sun, lack of water and so on. That was July/2020 if I’m not wrong.

If you search for Gebennensis I am sure I posted images with local markets, etc here in this forum.

In the VA and Jakobsweg you won’t have a problem since the infos they post are 99.9% reliable on official websites.

Yes, I did both routes in CH. For me it’s really hard to chose one, trust me. You will hardly find an ugly place there. Another fact is that my memory is so so SO bad and I’ve been in so many places, in so many Caminos since then, that for me it’s really hard to remember each stage, if you know what I mean. The only thing I can suggest is going through the interior (yellow on the picture) route if you go when it’s snowing. If it’s not snowing, chose the southern route.

For places to stay I suggest this: https://jakobsweg.ch/fr/eu/ch

Attachments

• IMG_9054.jpeg
    IMG_9054.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back