Yet another accommodation thread

andywild

Jan 21, 2018
Lincolnshire UK
Time of past OR future Camino
CF apr18. CP sep18. CF Aug23, Finisterre may24.
Hi all, just a quickie,
My friend is near Leon and has fallen into the booking . Com panic as he doesn't want to risk not getting a bed. The word on the street is that beds are few and far between. I'm thinking he should have a walk around and try and find out the municipal situation but he doesn't speak Spanish and therefore won't ask.
I had a look ahead on booking . Com and there's still beds available (at 5.30pm) (albergues and private) in Leon, Astorga, villafranca Del Bierzo, Trabadelo etc. makes me wonder that if there's beds on that site then there are very probably beds in the places that aren't on there.
It'd be good if someone currently out there could find out the non-bookable bed situation and allay a few fears.
It doesn't take much to start a vicious circle of bed panic, I wonder if it's as simple to break that circle with a bit of "on the Camino" knowledge.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

CWBuff

Veteran Member
Mar 5, 2019
Willow Grove, PA
Frances & Finisterre 05-07/22 Fran 26? d Nort 27?
Within reasons why allay fears? You should know by now that once the panic sets in - it is there to stay. You may recall when roughly a month ago someone was posting here threads on daily basis telling us that they were getting bunks with no reservations at any given time of the day ..
and 10 minutes later there would be another new thread started by Peregrinos Verdas about every single place booked from sea to shiny sea!
Your friend is panicking and your fast check revealed that accommodations are available? Let them book!
It will give them peace of mind and relieves you of any "responsibility" so to speak
I came to conclusion long time ago that try as I may I cannot and will not save the World. Hence I personally wouldn't want to try and break any circles too many people won't listen anyway

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
. I'm thinking he should have a walk around and try and find out the municipal situation but he doesn't speak Spanish and therefore won't ask
He doesn't need to speak Spanish in order to follow a map and walk over to Albergue del convento de las Carbajalas which has 96 beds and inquire if one is available.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

andywild

Jan 21, 2018
Lincolnshire UK
CF apr18. CP sep18. CF Aug23, Finisterre may24.
He doesn't need to speak Spanish in order to follow a map and walk over to Albergue del convento de las Carbajalas which has 96 beds and inquire if one is available.

It's not so much to help him, it was more about my curiosity.. he's happy with private places.
The point I was (failing) to make is that I'd like him to ask but he won't. If they had a bed he wouldn't want it and have to try and explain that he was only asking to satisfy a nosey person sat at home in the UK.
Luckily I'll be over there in less than two weeks so I can don my Sherlock Holmes hat and do my own asking. (I'm happy to risk it and go off the cuff).
It's quite a strange Camino for me this time. I don't know where I'm starting and, with a dodgy knee not sure how far I'm going each day. I'm even considering not blogging it.. I've never walked and not written about it! Usually I have to spend an hour each evening sat Infront of my phone..

Reactions: KiwiJohn

diggidan

Mar 29, 2024
Berlin
April 24: Camino Frances
I am at Sarria right now, this is kind of the most crowded part of the CF I guess. But I had no problems at all to book like one or max two days in advance. Even lots of bunks are available. I am a private room guy, so prices are increasing right now but I can’t feel any shortage. If b.com says it’s full, look up places on google maps and contact the hotels/whatever directly by mail or WhatsApp.
Cheers from a relaxed pilgrim

• Buen Camino!
Reactions: Peterexpatkiwi

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2014
Laramie, WY
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
Some news from hospis on the ground from Najera where beds can't be reserved (sorry, that is as close as I could get to Leon with my limited connections). Since reopening (from updates), the Najera municipal has been full the past few days sending the overflow to sleep at other local albergues, the local Fronton gymnasium, or ahead to Azofra. The wave is headed west...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Felice

Jul 20, 2014
Malvern, England
SJPP to Santiago Sept 2014
Andy, I quite understand your curiosity and confusion. Last May, I got a bit sucked in by the bed panic when I walked from Pamplona and booked as far as Najera. It really took the edge off my journey to be hemmed in by bookings, especially since several became uncancellable a couple of days before.

In September, I booked the first 2 stops, then winged it. Much better experience.

I'm starting again in Leon on May 21st. First night booked, nothing more. I'll soon know what the situation is. Sounds like the wave will hit just as I arrive. If it's bad then I'll go elsewhere.

• Buen Camino!
Reactions: DoughnutANZ
May 4, 2018
None at the moment... but am walking the North Highland Way...
Hi all, just a quickie,
My friend is near Leon and has fallen into the booking . Com panic as he doesn't want to risk not getting a bed. The word on the street is that beds are few and far between. I'm thinking he should have a walk around and try and find out the municipal situation but he doesn't speak Spanish and therefore won't ask.
I had a look ahead on booking . Com and there's still beds available (at 5.30pm) (albergues and private) in Leon, Astorga, villafranca Del Bierzo, Trabadelo etc. makes me wonder that if there's beds on that site then there are very probably beds in the places that aren't on there.
It'd be good if someone currently out there could find out the non-bookable bed situation and allay a few fears.
It doesn't take much to start a vicious circle of bed panic, I wonder if it's as simple to break that circle with a bit of "on the Camino" knowledge.
The Spaniards are very nice, if your friend just tries a bit.. Good luck.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides