• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help with accommodation on Camino Francés

Diarmad

Time of past OR future Camino
Na
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino.

We found the albergues were all booked or closed after looking on booking.com and have found the same for astorga and rabanal del camino (our next two plotted destinaciones) - we have been using the pdf provided on here and looking online.

Confused - since we thought albergue were first come first served - some of them have double rooms to book or some (very few) dorm rooms but not really near our route. Could anyone offer some help on this?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Confused - since we thought albergue were first come first served -
That's true of most public and parochial albergues, but most private albergues can be reserved.

Also booking.com does not have access to all beds or rooms. The properties only release part of their inventory to the booking sites.

Use Gronze to find contact information and contact the albergues directly. I recommend using WhatsApp when possible.

The public albergue in Astorga hás 156 beds and is first come, first served

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One more thing. Gronze is only in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English.

I also recommend using the Wise Pilgrim app.

The mistake might be to look on booking. dot.

Most of the Camino pilgrim accommodation is NOT listed on booking.

So you'll only be shown very few beds, only a fraction of what exists. On top of that, even the few albergues that are listed in that app will only sell very few of their beds via that app.

In Astorga there's a big municipal albergue that can not be booked and is first-come-first-served - "Albergue de peregrinos Siervas de Maria".

In Rabanal there's a lovely donativo albergue (Refugio Gaucelmo) that can't be booked and is also first-come-first-served.

If you do want to make a reservation, I recommend the website "gronze.com". It shows all the accommodation and also the ways to contact them.

Usually you'll have much more success when contacting places directly. So, try calling places directly (or send a WhatsApp message).

On top of that, this weekend is a major holiday coming up, and many people will be on a short vacation and filling up hotel rooms ect. That might be a reason for so few rooms being available on booking.

Buen Camino!

From all of the posts on this recently, for me, it's best to assume an Albergue is only truly full if;

a) you turn up and they tell you it's full
b) you contact them directly via phone/whatsapp and they tell you it's full

It seems booking.con is causing much panic and even worse meaning these amazing places are not been utilised to their fullest capacity by the people who want to stay in them.

Edit - this of course is not a fault of booking.con which is just running it's business. People just need to be mindful when using it.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In Rabanal the public so albergue is closed, Refugio Gaucelmo has 36 beds and does not accept reservations.

You will find it and other places here:
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino.

We found the albergues were all booked or closed after looking on booking.com and have found the same for astorga and rabanal del camino (our next two plotted destinaciones) - we have been using the pdf provided on here and looking online.

Confused - since we thought albergue were first come first served - some of them have double rooms to book or some (very few) dorm rooms but not really near our route. Could anyone offer some help on this?

I stayed there on my first camino it is a wonderful place to spend the night. One of the best on the CF. A donativo so give generously.
I have also stayed here on another camino. The refugio was closed. I read in Gronze it is the first albergue that opened in Rabanal. Wonderful place to stay also and the owners could not be nicer.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

I reserved a bed in an albergue in Sarria 5 days ago at 1500 by phone. Arrived 1830 to find only 5 others in the large, very nice albergue. We all got lower bunks well spaced. Walked into the next 3 Albergues after 1700 on the way to Santiago with no reservations and got entire dorm room to myself at each place. My advice: stay off Booking.com

Technology certainly is showing that it can be a double edged sword when it comes to finding a bed for the night. As more and more pilgrims opt to use booking.com to find a bed they’re contending with more and more pilgrims using that same site trying to do the exact same thing and end up believing (falsely) that there’s nothing available for them. My advice is to put away your phone, walk until you get where you wish to be and then ask in person if a bed is available

Wise Pilgrim was a big help, I just finished and with 1exception, we had few problems. Absolutely call/WhatsApp directly, the Booking message is something like “nothing available on Booking.com” which means their allotted rooms/beds are booked. They also have a message that says something like nothing available in Rabinal. Nothing available on Booking.com. Alda hostels is showing up in many of the larger towns, we found them very affordable but that depends on your budget and if you’re sharing. In León for example, we found an albergue for 17€ each or the Alda hotel for 40€. Private bath, sheets and towels were worth 3€ each to up. Once again, depends upon your budget.

Good luck.

This is all very, very helpful. I'm starting my first Camino in 3 weeks (June 7, from SJPdP), and this is my first posting here. Is it too early to try booking albergues, at least the first few stages, such as in Orisson, and Rancevalles? And what is a good "donativo" range? Want to make sure to show proper respect and support. Thanks for any help!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is all very, very helpful. I'm starting my first Camino in 3 weeks (June 7, from SJPdP), and this is my first posting here. Is it too early to try booking albergues, at least the first few stages, such as in Orisson, and Rancevalles? And what is a good "donativo" range? Want to make sure to show proper respect and support. Thanks for any help!
Definitely book Roncevalles. You'll be lucky to get a bed at Orisson, but it's worth a look. There is also Borda, or consider taking the Valcarlos route and breaking the journey there.

Typos can make a mess of posts! You are very welcome, says I, a mere member. 😈
Donativo range: many opinions. What would you give if you had to? What do think is the right amount? Don't stint.
Cast your bread upon the waters (when the tide is coming in). 😈

Try, if possible, to contact places directly, if you need to book ahead, although using the websites to give you ideas.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is it too early to try booking albergues, at least the first few stages, such as in Orisson, and Rancevalles?
Definitely not too early for either. You should also look at Auberge Borda instead of Orisson. I haven't had a chance to stay there, but it looks nicer than Orisson.

Cast your bread upon the waters (when the tide is coming in). 😈

Try, if possible, to contact places directly, if you need to book ahead, although using the websites to give you ideas.
Copy that, thanks.
Definitely not too early for either. You should also look at Auberge Borda instead of Orisson.
Excellent advice, thanks. Will def check Auberge Borda out.

Hello @PilgrimRoberto
Usually the general advice is to book as far as Pamplona but you might wish to go farther given latest developments.
As far as donations go we are of the mind that a donativo should reasonably equal any private accommodation; so say roughly €15 for a bunk and another €10-15 for dinner &€5 for breakfast if offered
Remember that donativos support the Pilgrims that sometimes cannot afford high costs of Caminos; hence if it's much less burden on those of us who are more fortunate we should act accordingly
Good luck and Buen Camino

P.S. some of my friends did SJPdP to Espinal yesterday (~34km) as everything in between was booked solid and even in Espinal it was 2nd albergue they stopped at...
This is like Exodus or something....

Definitely not too early for either. You should also look at Auberge Borda instead of Orisson. I haven't had a chance to stay there, but it looks nicer than Orisson.

The Albergue in Borda was amazing. Stay there for sure if you can -you won’t regret it!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you want to book Orisson or Roncessvalles it’s never too early. As for the donativo albergues a fair price is at a minimum what you would pay at a private albergue.

I reserved a bed in an albergue in Sarria 5 days ago at 1500 by phone. Arrived 1830 to find only 5 others in the large, very nice albergue. We all got lower bunks well spaced. Walked into the next 3 Albergues after 1700 on the way to Santiago with no reservations and got entire dorm room to myself at each place. My advice: stay off Booking.com
great and what do you do if you can't find a bed at the planned location? Not everyone is in a position to simply walk another 8-10-15 kilometres. So my beds from Astorga on Monday are all reserved and that's a reassuring feeling for me (77 years old)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
And what is a good "donativo" range? Want to make sure to show proper respect and support.

My guiding light in that department is: pay whatever I would pay at say, a private albergue. Donativos are special places (IMHO) and I want to make sure I "pay it forward" (as there's always someone who thinks donativos are free). Also, if I can afford a plane ticket to Spain, I can afford to compensate donativos for their offerings.

Last edited:
Hello @PilgrimRoberto
Usually the general advice is to book as far as Pamplona...

P.S. some of my friends did SJPdP to Espinal yesterday (~34km) as everything in between was booked solid...
Super good advice, thanks. Will definitely cover the donativos as you described, it's nice to know it may well help other pilgrims. And wow, I'm now motivated to find and book accomodation from SJPdP ASAP!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Ok, I have booked Albergue de Peregrinos in Roncevalles, and, well, it seems it will be challenging to get there from SJPdP in good form, but I am motivated to train and prep for it.

Thank you all for your shared experience and advice. My movie quote side wants to say "Witness the awesome power of this fully operational..." community site. :)

If it is seems to be too challenging to go Napoleon Route then look into Valcarlos.
One way or another, if the weather cooperates start early and just take it slow with plenty of rest stops. You now have a bed in Roncesvalles so you don't have to race

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If it is seems to be too challenging to go Napoleon Route then look into Valcarlos.
One way or another, if the weather cooperates start early and just take it slow with plenty of rest stops. You now have a bed in Roncesvalles so you don't have to race
Yes, that seems to be key. Will keep well in mind. Thanks.

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back