• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sundays and public holidays

SoozKH

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Just wondering if shops and restaurants are open on Sundays and public holidays (eg upcoming Ascension and Pentecost(Whit Sunday)? we will be walking the last 100km from Sarria but over the weekends and Pentecost, and curious if we need to stock up on food and snacks if shops would be closed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry I cannot recall which thread, but recently there was a post with a calendar of holidays in Spain. Perhaps your search engine will give you information. You might search for: are shops open on Sundays in Spain. Are shops open on public holidays in Spain? That could help...
all the best.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just wondering if shops and restaurants are open on Sundays and public holidays (eg upcoming Ascension and Pentecost(Whit Sunday)? we will be walking the last 100km from Sarria but over the weekends and Pentecost, and curious if we need to stock up on food and snacks if shops would be closed.
It depends.

If you are in a more touristical area, they have open.
On 25th of July 2019 (Day of Santiago) there were only two small tiendas open in Palas de Rei.
No Restaurant, no other shop open.
It's a massive holiday in Galicia, I don't know how it's handled for Pentecost, but I assume that you have to plan accordingly.

Sorry I cannot recall which thread, but recently there was a post with a calendar of holidays in Spain. Perhaps your search engine will give you information. You might search for: are shops open on Sundays in Spain. Are shops open on public holidays in Spain? That could help...
all the best.
Yeah, have checked and Pentecost is a public holiday in Spain, similar to a number of other western EU countires. I am from a country where shops close at 6pm on weekdays, maybe open on Saturday and definitely close on a Sunday or public holiday ;) As I am not that familiar with the situation in Spain, henceforth my question.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Keep in mind that during Sundays , Christian- and public holidays lots of Spanish family’s go out to restaurants with parents, children ,grandchildren etc. and it can be full during lunchtime ( and this takes a long time ! as I experienced during the years I used to work in Cataluña.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Policy about shopping centres timetables are a competence of each Autonomous Community in Spain, each region and province has it own specific special day holidays. I guess you'll have an easy request if you look up in Google about the concrete province and autonomous community.

For the record, this will be my first Camino even though its been on my bucket list for the past 10 years! Its only this year that I finally feel that the 'time is right' to do it and thats going to be next week (hurray! am so excited :D), but due to work restrictions (busy period at work!), will only be able to do the last stage from Sarria. Thanks to everyone's advice so far! This forum has been very helpful.

I will try and perhaps get more direct to the main concern that I have, its not about shops or restaurants being open, I was more worried that I won't be able to find food (=lunch and dinner) if I am walking on a sunday or on a public holiday. So, would really like to hear from your experiences, if I should be more prepared (ie pack food from supermarket on Saturday etc) or I can just relax and go about like any normal weekday (and still be able to feed myself)? Guess post Covid, I do tend to have an anxiety when it comes to food availability/ security :rolleyes:

I will try and perhaps get more direct to the main concern that I have, its not about shops or restaurants being open, I was more worried that I won't be able to find food (=lunch and dinner) if I am walking on a sunday or on a public holiday. So, would really like to hear from your experiences, if I should be more prepared (ie pack food from supermarket on Saturday etc) or I can just relax and go about like any normal weekday (and still be able to feed myself)?
If it helps, I've never gone hungry on a Sunday or holiday while on the Camino, and that is for 7 long Caminos. I also rarely carry any more than an orange, a chocolate bar and/or some nuts.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It’s never a bad idea to have snacks! If you are hungry for dinner before 7 or 8pm, you might be out of luck in most places. The dry bag strapped to my pack always contained a fresh bread and cheese, plus little packets of condiments. And a banana. And nuts. Buen Camino!

It’s never a bad idea to have snacks! If you are hungry for dinner before 7 or 8pm, you might be out of luck in most places. The dry bag strapped to my pack always contained a fresh bread and cheese, plus little packets of condiments. And a banana. And nuts. Buen Camino!
Is dinner only available after 7pm then? We usually eat at 6pm for our dinner, so guess that's really something I need to think about. are all shops (incl supermarkets) closed for afternoon siesta? or just cafes/resto? Thanks for your suggestionon the snacks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is dinner only available after 7pm then? We usually eat at 6pm for our dinner, so guess that's really something I need to think about. are all shops (incl supermarkets) closed for afternoon siesta? or just cafes/resto? Thanks for your suggestionon the snacks.
Usually dinner is not available until 8 p.m. or later in Spain. In some places on the Camino they may have a more relaxed schedule for pilgrims, but you can't really count on that. Some places the kitchen is open all day (Pulperia Garnacha in Melide comes to mind.) Carry some snacks as @Gringazolana mentions if that doesn't seem like it will work for you.

Is dinner only available after 7pm then? We usually eat at 6pm for our dinner, so guess that's really something I need to think about

Usually dinner is not available until 8 p.m. or later in Spain. In some places on the Camino they may have a more relaxed schedule for pilgrims
In Camino towns, particularly Sarria to Santiago you can usually find dinner earlier than 7 or 8.

@SoozKH - you might want to do as Spaniards do and eat your main meal around 2 pm.

You will almost always find something to eat, perhaps just a sandwich in the afternoon/early evening.

Darn they are heavy but I always try to carry a banana an orange a bag of nuts or mixed fruit and nuts maybe a bag of olives maybe a small can of tuna and a can/bottle of Aquarius or Kas (electrolytes) plus water. AND CHEESE! If I don’t eat them during the day because of cafe offerings I may have to have them at dinner. But on Saturday I double up. The Camino does not always provide food in a timely manner. Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
As I watched the aurora Friday night (west coast Canada) I was thinking how wonderful it would be to see it along the camino. Wondering if anyone currently walking or living along the camino saw...
Hi there, I will be walking Camino Primitivo soon and I still have some questions that you could maybe help me to answer. As I would like to avoid to bring unnecessary things with me. 1. I do...
A nice warm soak eases tired bones, and I was just wondering if there are any Thermal Spas along the Camino Frances

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.