• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving in Villafranca del Bierzo today

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Buen camino! What is your route/plan?
Walk to Casa Susi in Trabadelo tomorrow (taking the higher route via Pradela). An early start from Trabadelo to make it to Las Herrerías by 9:00 to ride horses up to O Cebreiro, then walk on to Hospital de Condesa. Then keep walking to Santiago (via Samos), arriving on the 17th. Maybe walk on to Finisterre. After that, see more of Spain before flying home on June 10. That's the extent of my plans.

Walk to Casa Susi in Trabadelo tomorrow (taking the higher route via Pradela). An early start from Trabadelo to make it to Las Herrerías by 9:00 to ride horses up to O Cebreiro, then walk on to Hospital de Condesa. Then keep walking to Santiago (via Samos), arriving on the 17th. Maybe walk on to Finisterre. After that, see more of Spain before flying home on June 10. That's the extent of my plans.
I just had a conversation with the owner of the Albergue up in Pradela. We got to talking about the arrows that have gone missing at the start of that route, they keep letting painted over. On top of that there is a local retired woman that lingers about warning of the dangers of wolves on the trail, or of hiking it alone as a solo female. It’s a wacky world.

Enjoy the views!

I just had a conversation with the owner of the Albergue up in Pradela. We got to talking about the arrows that have gone missing at the start of that route, they keep letting painted over. On top of that there is a local retired woman that lingers about warning of the dangers of wolves on the trail, or of hiking it alone as a solo female. It’s a wacky world.

Enjoy the views!
I will be using your app for the tracks. I noticed that some other apps don't seem to include it as an option.

Sounds wonderful!!

Starting my Camino tomorrow but happy to say hi to anyone who will be in Villafranca later today.
Make sure to take a picture of the white house up on the hill on the left side, if you have not in the past. Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Make sure to take a picture of the white house up on the hill on the left side, if you have not in the past. Buen Camino.
Why? Is there something special about the house? Up which hill? On the left side facing which direction?

I'm confused but intrigued.

When you get to Pieros, there is an alternate route that turns off to the right (near the top of the hill..very easy to miss) that takes you through the most beautiful countryside! There is a white house on the hillside on the left hand side (in the middle of a vineyard) that is just picture postcard pretty. I must have 50 pictures of it over my 3 camino on this route. I think this is the house referred to. If you don't take this turnoff, you are on pavement the whole way into Villafranca. Enjoy

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Why? Is there something special about the house? Up which hill? On the left side facing which direction?

I'm confused but intrigued.
The white house sits atop a hill, framed by two mature trees, about half a kilometer away on the left side of the camino, past most of the vineyards, sort of downhill before start getting closer to the village/s and town. I heard that the house is the most photographed house along the camino. I had to backtrack a little to have a decent framing/composition of my photograph.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When you get to Pieros, there is an alternate route that turns off to the right (near the top of the hill..very easy to miss) that takes you through the most beautiful countryside! There is a white house on the hillside on the left hand side (in the middle of a vineyard) that is just picture postcard pretty. I must have 50 pictures of it over my 3 camino on this route. I think this is the house referred to. If you don't take this turnoff, you are on pavement the whole way into Villafranca. Enjoy
Ah, that will have to wait for my next Camino Frances. This one is starting in Villafranca.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes! Past pilgrims and camino guides regard it as the most photographed house along the camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh, sorry. I thought Peterexpatkiwi was referring to this one, which to me is one the great Camino iconic scenes. I am also intrigued about where the sprawling big while house is.

Screen Shot 2024-05-08 at 3.08.48 PM

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am also intrigued about where the sprawling big while house is.
Havelock North, Hawkes Bay - New Zealand. (I did say back home !)
It's one of the most photographed houses in NZ, featuring on calendars, etc.

The setting of the house on the Camino, and the fact that it is so heavily photographed just instantly reminded me of the setting of this one. I grew up in the area, those hills were my home.... .

As an adult I've drunk a fair bit of the wine too!! Hawkes Bay is one of our top wine regions and I was fortunate at one stage to have a number of the top wineries as my clients!!

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back