• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

You may not get what you want, but you might just get what you need

Shells

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles (2019); Camino Frances (2021 or 2022); Camino Portuguese (2021 or 2022)
Earlier this month, I began walking from Ponferrada to Santiago with two friends. Although I had walked two previous Caminos, this was the first for both of my friends.

This Camino was full of the Unexpected. The first few days were easy, uneventful, and beautiful. But the morning we left O Cebreiro, it began pouring rain. The wind was gusting up to 90 km/hour, causing the rain to sting our faces like small stones. We kept on doggedly walking to Fonfría, and it took us six hours to walk eight miles (including a very long break to regroup, eat hot soup, and warm up.) That night we learned that we had been walking through the tail end of North Atlantic Hurricane Kirk.

The next day to Samos was beautiful: the wind had blown itself out, and although we walked in rain, it was gentle and soothing. We found sections of the trail that had washed away, including a number of trees that had been uprooted, making the path a bit more challenging at times, but we really enjoyed the walk, and arrived in Samos in good spirits.

Disaster struck the day we left Sarria and ended my Camino: The three of us were walking well, and I was happy and feeling strong and joyous. I was joking with my friends, as we came within sight of Portomarin, and suddenly, I encountered loose ball bearing-like gravel on a steep slope. I tried to stop my forward momentum with my hiking poles, but I went down hard and felt something snap in my ankle.

My friends wrapped my ankle in KT tape, and I tried to determine if my ankle was merely sprained and would feel better after a rest—at least enough to let me hobble into Portomarin. It soon became apparent that that wasn’t going to happen. Eventually, I realized my only option was to call Emergency Services.

They arrived about an hour later and loaded me first into a trail wheelchair, and then into an ambulance. My friends wanted to come with me, but the Ambulance crew would only allow one of them. Given that one of my friends has health issues and the other would have been terrified to be alone, and neither speak Spanish, I told them to stick together, watch out for each other, get to Portomarin, and I would let them know where I ended up (either Sarria or Lugo).

As it turned out, it was Lugo, and eventually, the ambulance arrived at the university hospital. There, I learned that my ankle was broken in two places and would require surgery within the next two weeks. The doctor stabilized the ankle with a plaster cast and told me I couldn’t put any weight on it at all, and should return home as soon as possible. He then discharged me. I asked if he could recommend a good hotel where I could go, but he told me that he didn’t know of any. At that point, I was beginning to be scared. I had heard so many positive things about the Spanish medical care system and I was about to be turned out, literally, into the rain, completely helpless, in an unfamiliar city, with no one to help me, and nowhere to go.

As the nurse took me in a wheelchair to the hospital exit, I desperately asked if she could call a taxi for me and recommend a hotel in Lugo. She stopped then, and really took in my situation, and was appalled that I was being released under these circumstances. She jumped into action, made reservations for me at a hotel with an elevator and room service, and slipped me a handful of pain meds to get me through several days. Then she called a taxi, and asked him to stop at a pharmacy to buy me crutches. The taxi driver was wonderful and did everything requested, including setting my new crutches to the right height. The problem was that I have never used crutches of any kind before and I simply didn’t have the balance or capacity at that moment to use them, without putting weight on my foot. Seeing this, the taxi driver let me lean on him, as I hopped into the hotel, then he talked to the young concierge, got me checked in, and demonstrated how to use the crutches before he left. I sat in the lobby, and was contemplating crawling to the elevator, when the young concierge came to me. He wrapped his arm around my waist, let me lean against him, with the crutches in my other hand, chiding me gently, when I inadvertently put weight on my foot. Then he personally took me to the room, helped me to the bed, returned to the lobby for my pack, and wrote down the number of the hotel’s front desk, as well as his personal phone number. He told me to phone him directly for anything I wanted or needed. During the course of the next two days, he came to my room to check on me, returned to tell me when he was off duty, told me that he had informed his colleagues of my plight, brought me food, and wouldn’t accept a tip of any kind. He was my true Camino Angel, and I will never forget him.

After I was settled, I called my friends, who came to Lugo by taxi and then refused to leave me. I finally reached my husband in the United States. He set out within an hour of my call, and I was truly shocked, and so happy that I cried, when he informed me that he would be with me the following night. For him, this involved travel from rural Montana to Minneapolis, Minnesota, to Atlanta, Georgia, on to Madrid, and then renting a car and driving 500 kilometers to Lugo.

My friends abandoned their Camino to run errands, get me medication, contact my travel insurance, help me bathe, even lending me euros to buy a transport wheelchair. They refused to leave, until my husband finally arrived. By that point, they had missed two days of their Camino, but our tour company was able to assist them to recapture the situation.

My husband arrived in Lugo, exhausted, grabbed 6 hours of sleep, then helped me into a rental car, and the following day, I was on my way home. He made the entire round trip journey in just 84 hours, caring for me at the expense of his own need for rest.

Delta Airlines was also fabulous and arranged first class transport for my husband and me (waiving the change fee in our tickets), so I had an air bed for the trip across the Atlantic, airport assistance, wheelchair services, and special boarding.

On the home front, my children were busy building me a wheelchair ramp so I could get in to my house, arranging an emergency appointment with an orthopedic surgeon, finding me a portapotty, a knee scooter, and a leg sleeve, so I could bathe. Our town’s local performing arts center gave me a full size wheelchair to use, which is much sturdier than the light transport wheelchair I bought in Spain. Everywhere people were so kind. When I passed through Customs, the Agent took in the situation, and instead of the usual questions, quietly said, “It will be all right. Welcome home.”

Yesterday, my friends finally walked into Santiago safely, and claimed their Compostelas—true Peregrinas, truer Friends. Today they will go to Finisterre, and will begin the journey home tomorrow. My husband canceled his guitar making class in southern Spain. He had been scheduled to depart to Spain just two days after he received my call, and our original plan was that I would join him in the city of Úbeda after I finished the Camino with my friends. The instructor has been emailing him ever since to check on my wellbeing, with sympathetic interest and no recriminations for the last minute cancellation. As for me, I am scheduled for surgery on Wednesday, and will hopefully be able to walk unassisted by Christmas.

So, my Camino did not turn out at all as I had hoped and dreamed. But I came away stunned by the kindness of people—from the Peregrina who paused beside me as I lay in the dirt of the trail and prayed for me; to the Pilgrim, who gave my friends a small charm she wore for wellbeing, asking them to send it to me; to my lovely young concierge; and a taxi driver, who took the time to help a stranger; to an exhausted nurse, who cared what happened to a foreign stranger; to my friends, who refused to leave my side, even at the cost of their own Caminos; to my children, who my stocked the house with food and made all the arrangements to get me medical aid immediately upon my return, to my husband, who was at my side as soon as humanly possible…I am blessed. And you know the saying that the Camino provides? Maybe I got exactly what I needed: a renewed faith in my fellow humans. With all the ugliness of the American political situation in an election year, and mean-spirited people vying for power at the cost of the vulnerable, marginalized, and innocent, with unrest, and war, and cruelty, and mass shootings, I began this Camino downhearted and angry, mainly because my friends asked me for help in doing the Camino, and I knew their needs, and I believe in the value of pilgrimage, both spiritually and physically. And I received what I truly needed: not a successful long walk, but an intimate, ground level view of human kindness and compassion…and renewed belief in the basic goodness and compassion of ordinary people.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yours is a beautiful, heartwarming story in the midst of an aborted Camino, your physical pain, and so much inconvenience.
You chose to look at all the good that happened in spite of your broken ankle, and shared how you were blessed by the help and concern of numerous local Spanish people, in addition to your husband and friends.
I have been uplifted by your words.Thank you! P.S. I hope you have an excellent recovery in time for Christmas.

Hi Shells, just curious was where you fell a steep rocky path near the bridge to Portomarin and some people walked down the road nearby? I remember thinking how dangerous this part was in the dark with water running down it. . Best wishes for a full recovery.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi dreaming—I know the place you mean, but, no. My fall took place slightly before Vilacha, on nothing that appeared very dangerous. The amazing part is that, as I sat there waiting for the Emergency Services team (about an hour), SEVEN other people slipped in the same exact spot, though only two others actually fell, neither of whom were badly hurt. One of my friends began standing in front of the spot, and advising peregrinos, as they approached. I think that ordinarily the place wouldn’t have been much of a threat, but that the loose gravel was likely a relic of the storm we had walked through a couple of days earlier.

Thanks to you and Camino Chrissy for the kind words and hopes for my recovery. I go into surgery tomorrow.

Hi @Shells, so sorry to hear of your accident. Thank you for sharing the story and for your positive comments about all of the kindness that you have been shown.
I was a little surprised at first that they simply just stabilized your ankle and sent you off, but then I realised that's exactly what they initially intended to do with me when I broke my ankle earlier this year. Fortunately I was able to persuade them otherwise, it helped that I was still within my country of residence.
You may well be able to walk unassisted again by Christmas, but whatever you do don't push it. Every situation is unique, I'm sure your surgeons etc will advise you what they consider to be appropriate.
In my case I was certainly not walking unassisted after just eight weeks; plan for longer. If it ends up being less then you will feel great!
I wish you all the best for your surgery tomorrow, and a speedy and thorough recovery thereafter.

It's too bad you weren't able to save yourself from a fall with your poles. I use mine 100% of the time when walking and they have saved me numerous times from falling, particularly in rain/mud and snow conditions. As you unfortunately encountered, one fall can end your Camino instantly.
Although you weren't able to save yourself from your fall in this instance, I want to address the ones that walk most of the time with your poles strapped to your backpack ( you know who you are!)
How exactly do you determine when to liberate your poles off your pack because of conditions? How do you know when you might fall?
Why carry the extra weight if you don't use your poles?
I've seen so many people that carry poles on their packs seemingly on multiple encounters with them that never use them.
Very puzzling indeed!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wow, what a story- my friend and I are serving at the albergue in Grado, read your post as we were waiting for our next peregrino and began to weep- we’re a little raw and open after our Camino and our wonderful daily experience here, so we were very moved. Yes there is hope for humanity. Gracias

Dear Shells, your story has just moved me to tears. May your faith in humanity and the goodness of God help to heal the terrible fractures of our world. What a blessed non-Camino you were given! Thank you for sharing it and for your courage to embrace all the positives.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The relies of the Forum are making me cry, as well. I, too, am a bit raw from the Camino and my heart is still wide open with the many acts of simple kindness I received from people everywhere. It’s been a while since I’ve truly felt hopeful for this troubled world, but now I know firsthand that so many people everywhere are kind, compassionate, and truly caring. Thank you, Forum.

Dear Shells, Thank you for posting about your experience. The world desperately needs more people like you. I thank you for reminding all of us of the true goodness that there is in the world. My day is better for reading your post.

Shells, I also am crying as I read your post, remembering a non-Camino accident a few years back and an off-duty nurse who stopped to help me. I believe everything happens for a reason and your decision to share your story will help soften the hearts of everyone who reads it, as we all know, something much needed in the world today. Thank you so much for sharing and I send light and love for a full and quick recovery!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Earlier this month, I began walking from Ponferrada to Santiago with two friends. Although I had walked two previous Caminos, this was the first for both of my friends.

This Camino was full of the Unexpected. The first few days were easy, uneventful, and beautiful. But the morning we left O Cebreiro, it began pouring rain. The wind was gusting up to 90 km/hour, causing the rain to sting our faces like small stones. We kept on doggedly walking to Fonfría, and it took us six hours to walk eight miles (including a very long break to regroup, eat hot soup, and warm up.) That night we learned that we had been walking through the tail end of North Atlantic Hurricane Kirk.

The next day to Samos was beautiful: the wind had blown itself out, and although we walked in rain, it was gentle and soothing. We found sections of the trail that had washed away, including a number of trees that had been uprooted, making the path a bit more challenging at times, but we really enjoyed the walk, and arrived in Samos in good spirits.

Disaster struck the day we left Sarria and ended my Camino: The three of us were walking well, and I was happy and feeling strong and joyous. I was joking with my friends, as we came within sight of Portomarin, and suddenly, I encountered loose ball bearing-like gravel on a steep slope. I tried to stop my forward momentum with my hiking poles, but I went down hard and felt something snap in my ankle.

My friends wrapped my ankle in KT tape, and I tried to determine if my ankle was merely sprained and would feel better after a rest—at least enough to let me hobble into Portomarin. It soon became apparent that that wasn’t going to happen. Eventually, I realized my only option was to call Emergency Services.

They arrived about an hour later and loaded me first into a trail wheelchair, and then into an ambulance. My friends wanted to come with me, but the Ambulance crew would only allow one of them. Given that one of my friends has health issues and the other would have been terrified to be alone, and neither speak Spanish, I told them to stick together, watch out for each other, get to Portomarin, and I would let them know where I ended up (either Sarria or Lugo).

As it turned out, it was Lugo, and eventually, the ambulance arrived at the university hospital. There, I learned that my ankle was broken in two places and would require surgery within the next two weeks. The doctor stabilized the ankle with a plaster cast and told me I couldn’t put any weight on it at all, and should return home as soon as possible. He then discharged me. I asked if he could recommend a good hotel where I could go, but he told me that he didn’t know of any. At that point, I was beginning to be scared. I had heard so many positive things about the Spanish medical care system and I was about to be turned out, literally, into the rain, completely helpless, in an unfamiliar city, with no one to help me, and nowhere to go.

As the nurse took me in a wheelchair to the hospital exit, I desperately asked if she could call a taxi for me and recommend a hotel in Lugo. She stopped then, and really took in my situation, and was appalled that I was being released under these circumstances. She jumped into action, made reservations for me at a hotel with an elevator and room service, and slipped me a handful of pain meds to get me through several days. Then she called a taxi, and asked him to stop at a pharmacy to buy me crutches. The taxi driver was wonderful and did everything requested, including setting my new crutches to the right height. The problem was that I have never used crutches of any kind before and I simply didn’t have the balance or capacity at that moment to use them, without putting weight on my foot. Seeing this, the taxi driver let me lean on him, as I hopped into the hotel, then he talked to the young concierge, got me checked in, and demonstrated how to use the crutches before he left. I sat in the lobby, and was contemplating crawling to the elevator, when the young concierge came to me. He wrapped his arm around my waist, let me lean against him, with the crutches in my other hand, chiding me gently, when I inadvertently put weight on my foot. Then he personally took me to the room, helped me to the bed, returned to the lobby for my pack, and wrote down the number of the hotel’s front desk, as well as his personal phone number. He told me to phone him directly for anything I wanted or needed. During the course of the next two days, he came to my room to check on me, returned to tell me when he was off duty, told me that he had informed his colleagues of my plight, brought me food, and wouldn’t accept a tip of any kind. He was my true Camino Angel, and I will never forget him.

After I was settled, I called my friends, who came to Lugo by taxi and then refused to leave me. I finally reached my husband in the United States. He set out within an hour of my call, and I was truly shocked, and so happy that I cried, when he informed me that he would be with me the following night. For him, this involved travel from rural Montana to Minneapolis, Minnesota, to Atlanta, Georgia, on to Madrid, and then renting a car and driving 500 kilometers to Lugo.

My friends abandoned their Camino to run errands, get me medication, contact my travel insurance, help me bathe, even lending me euros to buy a transport wheelchair. They refused to leave, until my husband finally arrived. By that point, they had missed two days of their Camino, but our tour company was able to assist them to recapture the situation.

My husband arrived in Lugo, exhausted, grabbed 6 hours of sleep, then helped me into a rental car, and the following day, I was on my way home. He made the entire round trip journey in just 84 hours, caring for me at the expense of his own need for rest.

Delta Airlines was also fabulous and arranged first class transport for my husband and me (waiving the change fee in our tickets), so I had an air bed for the trip across the Atlantic, airport assistance, wheelchair services, and special boarding.

On the home front, my children were busy building me a wheelchair ramp so I could get in to my house, arranging an emergency appointment with an orthopedic surgeon, finding me a portapotty, a knee scooter, and a leg sleeve, so I could bathe. Our town’s local performing arts center gave me a full size wheelchair to use, which is much sturdier than the light transport wheelchair I bought in Spain. Everywhere people were so kind. When I passed through Customs, the Agent took in the situation, and instead of the usual questions, quietly said, “It will be all right. Welcome home.”

Yesterday, my friends finally walked into Santiago safely, and claimed their Compostelas—true Peregrinas, truer Friends. Today they will go to Finisterre, and will begin the journey home tomorrow. My husband canceled his guitar making class in southern Spain. He had been scheduled to depart to Spain just two days after he received my call, and our original plan was that I would join him in the city of Úbeda after I finished the Camino with my friends. The instructor has been emailing him ever since to check on my wellbeing, with sympathetic interest and no recriminations for the last minute cancellation. As for me, I am scheduled for surgery on Wednesday, and will hopefully be able to walk unassisted by Christmas.

So, my Camino did not turn out at all as I had hoped and dreamed. But I came away stunned by the kindness of people—from the Peregrina who paused beside me as I lay in the dirt of the trail and prayed for me; to the Pilgrim, who gave my friends a small charm she wore for wellbeing, asking them to send it to me; to my lovely young concierge; and a taxi driver, who took the time to help a stranger; to an exhausted nurse, who cared what happened to a foreign stranger; to my friends, who refused to leave my side, even at the cost of their own Caminos; to my children, who my stocked the house with food and made all the arrangements to get me medical aid immediately upon my return, to my husband, who was at my side as soon as humanly possible…I am blessed. And you know the saying that the Camino provides? Maybe I got exactly what I needed: a renewed faith in my fellow humans. With all the ugliness of the American political situation in an election year, and mean-spirited people vying for power at the cost of the vulnerable, marginalized, and innocent, with unrest, and war, and cruelty, and mass shootings, I began this Camino downhearted and angry, mainly because my friends asked me for help in doing the Camino, and I knew their needs, and I believe in the value of pilgrimage, both spiritually and physically. And I received what I truly needed: not a successful long walk, but an intimate, ground level view of human kindness and compassion…and renewed belief in the basic goodness and compassion of ordinary people.
A wonderful story and experience but a lot of what you experienced was because how you yourself handled such a difficult situation--your positive and can-do attitude. You have a wonderful support group--relatives and non-relatives. You are blessed indeed. Chuck

A beautifully written, uplifting story Shells. Great antidote to some of the awful stuff going on in the world at the moment.

Hi Shells, thank you for posting such an uplifting story. You had a traumatic experience and the description of the events afterwards, and the positive actions of complete strangers and close friends/spouse, is inspiring. I had a serious ankle injury some 50 years ago and although the recovery can be difficult, you will get through it.

I'm currently on the Ingles and enjoying some chipieones in Betanzos. My only concern is the restaurants no opening until 8:00 pm. I previously read today's post titled "Vegetarian Camino - a real sacrifice", and to my mind they indicate what's right and wrong with today's mindset.

Get well soon, Martin

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I enjoy threads that have a themed topic of pictures, where members can join in with their personal favorites. @David Tallan is in Salamanca and in looking through my own photos of its cathedral...
Two friends and I will be doing the CF together beginning in March. Some expenses might be shared (private lodging perhaps) and some will be individual. To avoid having to pay 3 times at the...
Just a shout out to all the wonderful people currently out on the trail. This is not easy and you are out here doing it with grace, humor, and compassion! Currently dealing with lots of rain and...
No, not me, but Jamie O'Connell, 'What is a pilgrimage if you are not religious?' in today's Irish Times: 'What I grew to enjoy was the messages (graffiti) that had been left by others along the...
Hi, I did the French Camino from August 25th to September 17th, starting in Saint Jean Pied-de-Port. An amazing experience that I can't get over from :-). Met so many people that gave me joy...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back