Search 69,459 Camino Questions

With Gite Makila closed now, what are some of your favorite

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, now that Auberge du Pèlerin is closed, I'm looking for my next favorite. I'm curious to know what the responses to your question look like. I'd like to stay some place iconic and close to the old town center (within the walls) this spring.

I know many have said that SJPdP isn't much, but I think it's just charming. I know you can see bigger plus beaux village de France on the Le Puy, but I just love the views, people, and the energy. I'm thinking I may need a place that will let me stay for two nights this year.

Oh no! That was my very first Camino albergue and to this day it remains one of my favorites. I am so sorry to learned it is no more. Is the closing permanent?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I stayed at Albergue Porte Saint-Jacques and liked it very much. There's a bunk room on one floor and a room with single beds and great views on the floor above. There was a communal meal available and breakfast too. It's up at the top of the old main street, next door to the municipal. Very pilgrim friendly.

I stayed at Albergue Porte Saint-Jacques and liked it very much. There's a bunk room on one floor and a room with single beds and great views on the floor above. There was a communal meal available and breakfast too. It's up at the top of the old main street, next door to the municipal. Very pilgrim friendly.
Thanks! I went solo on my last trip but my next one I am going with my college age daughter!

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
If you are on a budget or just want to stay in the municipal it is very good:
If you have the money to spend and want a great experience with dinner and breakfast, Beilari. It has really gone up in price since I was there haha (2015)

Albergue Le Chemin vers L Etoile, just down the street from the Pilgrims Office. +33 559 372 071 21 euros and very nice. We stayed there at the end of October. My son in law stayed there in 2011. The hospitalero has walked the Camino. Bon Chemin

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We liked this place when we stayed there in 2017.

Bed & Breakfast Maison Bidegain Berria

Maison Bidegain Berria - 64220 ISPOURE

It's in Ispoure which abuts SJPP but is an easy walk from the SJPP train station and a quick walk into the heart of SJPP . It is on Booking.com. It has only one room and is run by a lovely couple. It included breakfast, and for an extra very fair price, they provided dinner ( but that is not compulsory)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
places to stay in SJPDP?
I was quite comfortable at the municipal. Kitchen, decent beds, backyard. If you are arriving by bus or train in the morning to SJPP, go there right away and get in line before you go to the pilgrim office. No reservations are possible and it often sells out.

Stayed in Beilari in 2018, and in Albergue Porte Saint-Jacques last year.

Beilari was great, but Porte Saint Jacques was ever so much better, from the beds, to the facilities, and the common room. They also did a communal dinner and breakfast and had a sort of Pilgrim blessing before everyone started out.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just looked at their website and it appears to be open.

Well, now that Auberge du Pèlerin is closed, I'm looking for my next favorite. I'm curious to know what the responses to your question look like. I'd like to stay some place iconic and close to the old town center (within the walls) this spring.

I know many have said that SJPdP isn't much, but I think it's just charming. I know you can see bigger plus beaux village de France on the Le Puy, but I just love the views, people, and the energy. I'm thinking I may need a place that will let me stay for two nights this year.
Auberge de Pelerin's website is open and taking bookings through October. 'Closed' for end of season, or permanently? I sure hope it's not closing permanently......the owners have been sending me very welcoming emails for my booking in May 😬

Auberge de Pelerin's website is open and taking bookings through October. 'Closed' for end of season, or permanently? I sure hope it's not closing permanently......the owners have been sending me very welcoming emails for my booking in May 😬
Wow -- that is great news! Looking at their website, it looks like they've refurbished the dining room. I may check them out in May as well.

A highlight for me was their evening meal. They served a Basque soup to start and quail with an apricot sauce as a main course. And the macaron store is right next door!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
Hi. I am starting my camino on Monday 16th Sept at St Jean Pied De Port. I have hust pit my final rucksack together for the first timeit comes in at about 8.5Kg, I am 86Kg so this seems kinda...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back