• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favourite Gites or Camping Spots from Le Puy ?

Freewalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Many and lots more to come.
Hello All - I just booked flight to Lyon and depart in 10 days as prices have finally dropped ! I have a list of accommodations etc... but would be grateful for any tips, favourite gites, wild or organized camping along the Chemin from Le Puy. Hopefully, I plan to camp half of the time (weather permitting) and stay in gites the remainder. Any suggestions on the route would be much appreciated! Many thanks.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello All - I just booked flight to Lyon and depart in 10 days as prices have finally dropped ! I have a list of accommodations etc... but would be grateful for any tips, favourite gites, wild or organized camping along the Chemin from Le Puy. Hopefully, I plan to camp half of the time (weather permitting) and stay in gites the remainder. Any suggestions on the route would be much appreciated! Many thanks.
A year ago I was also planning on camping at least part if not most of the Le Puy (GR65) route. I didn't do it this year instead opted to do part of the GR5 Alp Traverse route. There is an app I was going to use for the Le Puy that lists 90+ campsites along the route. https://hiiker.app/trails/france/le-puy-en-velay/gr-65/accommodations . Hope this helps.
Frank

My favorite gite was Au Plaisir in Condom. Hosts Philippe and Corinne are wonderful. The Abbaye in Conques is also special, and be aware they have private rooms as well as dorm space. Overall, all the gites and chambre d'hotes are welcoming.

Gîte at the Ferme La Croix du Plô - just past Le Rochet
From my journal -
A farm - entry to the gîte through a giant barn - lovely animal smells - walk upstairs - warm fire - happy faces - great dinner - friendly conversation - sleep 3 to a room - a real sense of love and companionship from pilgrims and hosts. Best vibe so far. ♥️♥️♥️

Everywhere I stayed was great - other memorables were
Gîte Soulié - true donativo
Gîte d'étape Les Volets Bleus - Decazaville - excellent facilities and garden - host is ex chef!
Gîte d'étape du Gua - Figeac - warm mother and son hosts - fabulous vegetarian meal - great support

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
My favorite gite was Au Plaisir in Condom. Hosts Philippe and Corinne are wonderful. The Abbaye in Conques is also special, and be aware they have private rooms as well as dorm space. Overall, all the gites and chambre d'hotes are welcoming.
a wonderful gîte d’étape with one private room, a swimming pool and generous hosts😍

I stayed at a really nice campground in Le Sauvage at the far side of the village in 2017. It had washers and dryers and hot showers. In the summer holiday season there were cafes etc. There were also little caravans to rent. It's within walking distance to the main street, so a boulangerie was close by.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Some of my favorites:

Monistrol d'Allier: Le Repos du Pèlerin. Physically a little run down, but the people there were very nice. They played music and sang, other guests played music and sang, I played flute. A great evening.

Mondenard: gîtes de Lesclapayrac about 3km off GR65, but lovely people. I was the only guest and ate in Jean-Claude and Danielle's kitchen with them. Between her staggering English and my staggering French, we had a nice dinner conversation!

Arblade-le-bas: Gîte Chambre d'hôtes Belardine. Another detour off GR65, but really no longer, it's an older version of the route. Helen Aitken an ex-pat Brit was very nice. Good food, English conversation!

Labalette: Gîte d'étape A Labalette. Nadine and Michel, a lovely retired farm couple. I was the only guest, the house has been in the family for several genarations.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello All - I just booked flight to Lyon and depart in 10 days as prices have finally dropped ! I have a list of accommodations etc... but would be grateful for any tips, favourite gites, wild...
When do the gîtes close in the fall? I would like to start in October and may still be walking during November if I become injured and have to slow down. I’ve walked the Camino Francés in the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back