• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will the Protest Against Tourists in Barcelona Come to Santiago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember Paris in particular because the room as such had been prepaid online and I had to pay the €2.88 separately when I checked in at reception. Is there a big deal being made about this? Of course not.
I have used Booking.com for years for lodgings abroad, and this is often the case, especially in larger cities. It is nothing new, and I recall one of my earliest memories of the charge was in Lisbon in 2019.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
No reason to mention " gringos" in Alicante because the number of people from.the USA living in this province is in 32 position. First is United Kingdom.
You are addressing an interesting aspect. Well, interesting to me anyway. The article and its attention-seeking headline is written for UK / English speaking readers. And the fact that numerous boards in the demonstration are written in English indicates also to whom it is addressed. Although I am not a native speaker of English I say with some confidence that the word "gringo" is more widely known than the word "guiri". We know what "gringo" means because we have been watching numerous movies of the US Western type. I at least had not been aware of the word "guiri" until I read about it on this forum.

I bet if the article had been written for a Spanish audience, a different headline would have been chosen.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You are addressing an interesting aspect. Well, interesting to me anyway. The article and its attention-seeking headline is written for UK / English speaking readers. And the fact that numerous boards in the demonstration are written in English indicates also to whom it is addressed. Although I am not a native speaker of English I say with some confidence that the word "gringo" is more widely known than the word "guiri". We know what "gringo" means because we have been watching numerous movies of the US Western type. I at least had not been aware of the word "guiri" until I read about it on this forum.

I bet if the article had been written for a Spanish audience, a different headline would have been chosen.
Correct. Pretty much everyone in UK knows what ‘Gringo’ means. Used extensively in many cartoon series when I was young. ‘Guiri’ is an unknown.

I have been called a Gringo many times in South America. Never in Spain.

Not sure if this will add anything new to this discussion but here it goes. This Kiwi, married to a Spaniard woman, has an excellent You Tube channel for those interested in Spain, so this is his perspective:
I am very much familiar with their channel be it that Barca is one of my ( and my wife's) fave vacation cities.
The irony if course is that him and Yoli are out of the job if tourism goes KAPUT! in there...

Last edited:
I visited Venice ten years ago as a two day stop on a bus tour of Italy. If there were any special taxes and fees at that time, they were absorbed by the tour company.
Chrissy 10 years ago there were no such beast
Hechlk most of major European cities that were top tourist attractions wouldn't even DREAM of doing this! It's All part of (ahem!) New normal (post COVID)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Correct. Pretty much everyone in UK knows what ‘Gringo’ means. Used extensively in many cartoon series when I was young. ‘Guiri’ is an unknown.

I have been called a Gringo many times in South America. Never in Spain.
I was called " gringo" in Chiapas ( Mexico). " Ustedes para ser gringos que bien hablan español"

No reason to mention " gringos" in Alicante because the number of people from.the USA living in this province is in 32 position. First is United Kingdom.
Gringo - a foreigner
a term used in Latin America or Spain to refer to a foreigner, especially one of U.S. or British descent (often used facetiously).
So it applies "correctly " so to speak

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Chrissy 10 years ago there were no such beast
Hechlk most of major European cities that were top tourist attractions wouldn't even DREAM of doing this! It's All part of (ahem!) New normal (post COVID)
Huh??? I recommend Wikipedia's Italian article on Tourist Tax for starters. This kind of tax on visitors has been around for a good one hundred years in Italy.

Same development in Germany. There the Wikipedia article even wants to trace the tourist tax back to the year 1507. Be it as it may, this kind of tax on visitors as been around as long as I have been travelling in Europe as an adult and that was long long before Covid.

@Kathar1na - what I meant is that I sincerely do not remember paying any tax separately the way that it's now. If it was built into the price it was not noticeable. It probably still is there but now in addition to, there is this "extra" tax payable on arrival. I just came back from being in France, Italy and Switzerland and had to pay extra (city I believe they all said it was) tax in every hotel o stayed

One of the signs in one of the posted photos uses the word. This term, "gringo", is a negative (some say racist) term used throughout Latin America to refer to all white people regardless of their country of origin. It appears some people in Spain also use the word for a similar effect.

The use of that term (racist or not) should not cause a detour of this thread about the use of Airbnb or something similar and how they affect the local communities along the Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am sure it will play out big in the UK media this week. This weekend is the big ‘getaway’ when most of the schools finish so everyone is off to wherever at the weekend esp. Spain! So I would expect to see plenty of coverage as this is far ‘juicier’ than passport queues than have been the summer holiday nightmare story in the third week of July for the past few years. Anyway as my Indian mate who resides in Spain tells me that at least it has taken the pressure of migrants who often get the blame for lack of housing, so it’s not all bad. Send tourists to London. We will have them!!

I stay in accommodation booked thru either AirBNB or booking . Com for about 300 nights of the year but never really notice the tax proportion of it, unless I pay at check in and they specifically mention it. Airbnb is very itemised re with all the various fees and discounts listed. So I remember Rome for example. Quite a few places outside Europe too. Just focus on final price I guess even tho at the bottom end of market.

I am slightly loathe to get involved in the broader debate. I spend probably aprox. 40% of my time in Spain, but it is hard to get a view as an ‘outsider’ esp. when politics will play a part as it always does. Possibly a lot of the protesters are reasonably affluent and maybe the youth unemployment don’t have a voice. I don’t know but wouldn’t surprise me. Things are never as straightforward as they seem. It’s a global issue of course too. I would no more likely tell Americans how they solve their issues as folks from Barcelona. But I don’t like statements like ‘don’t book Airbnb’ which are the equivalent of me shouting out ‘don’t drive’, or ‘don’t eat meat! .

Cruise Ships are huge money as it has a huge American base and that’s where the money and consumption is.
And your point is? There is clear reportage of protest and distress in many locations across Europe and elsewhere where modern tourism impacts adversely on the lives of the native, resident, population.

From your post it looks like you are a contributor to the mess rather than offering any resolution.

As to "guiri", I enjoy reading explanations of a word on Wikipedia in various languages. For those not in the know yet, here are the explanations of the meaning of "guiri" in English and in Spanish. The Spanish version is more entertaining. Also, it taught me the expression "etnofaulismo". One can't say that one does not learn something new and useful from these long-running forum threads ... 🤭

And don't confuse it with Ulex europaeus. 🙃

One of the signs in one of the posted photos uses the word. This term, "gringo", is a negative (some say racist) term used throughout Latin America to refer to all white people regardless of their country of origin. It appears some people in Spain also use the word for a similar effect.

The use of that term (racist or not) should not cause a detour of this thread about the use of Airbnb or something similar and how they affect the local communities along the Camino
I agree esp with the 2nd part. Reading through the thread I was thinking that clearly the main anger (as per these signs) is directed mainly towards US and UK tourists and yet... chances are there are enough Spaniards who are as just on a holiday and touristic through their own country as "the foreigners " are.
It is IMHO the whole AirBnB structure that's a problem....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Gringo - a foreigner
a term used in Latin America or Spain to refer to a foreigner, especially one of U.S. or British descent (often used facetiously).
So it applies "correctly " so to speak
I am Spaniard and can say that gringo is no equal to foreigner in Spain. Normally the word " gringo" in Spain only comes out when talking about international conflicts when one part is not in favour of the US position.

I meant is that I sincerely do not remember paying any tax separately the way that it's now. If it was built into the price it was not noticeable. It probably still is there but now in addition to, there is this "extra" tax payable on arrival. I just came back from being in France, Italy and Switzerland and had to pay extra (city I believe they all said it was) tax in every hotel o stayed
Well, I'd say that is a helpful rephrasing of your earlier "post-Covid" claim. Do I remember correctly, coming back from being in France, Italy and Switzerland means the TMB and the Alps? With the whole range of the Alps from France to the eastern ends of Germany and Austria being THE classical tourism region of Continental Europe? That's exactly where I remember being charged tourist taxes in inns and small hotels many decades ago ...

Just because a local tourist tax wasn't top of the news then, unlike today, it does not mean that it didn't exist. (There are a few pretty old European tourists on this board and I am apparently one of them 😂. Luckily with still intact memory banks 😂).

PS: In the German-speaking Alpine regions it is often called "Ortstaxe" (literally "location tax") but there are several other names. Just had a quick look on the net: In the Salzburg region they had laws about this tourist tax since at least 1986.

Last edited:
I’m familiar with guiri - most of my long-standing Spanish friends are either in Andalucía or Madrid; perhaps it’s not universal. I take it on the chin. I’m physically 100% obviously British, especially after some sun. But on the ‘phone I’m clearly not a native Spanish speaker, but sufficiently competent to be hard to place.

‘eres extranjero?’ - ‘si, guiri’. It’s (amongst friends) almost a term of endearment.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
And your point is? There is clear reportage of protest and distress in many locations across Europe and elsewhere where modern tourism impacts adversely on the lives of the native, resident, population.

From your post it looks like you are a contributor to the mess rather than offering any resolution.
Of course I am a contributor. I travel and I book accommodation. This is essentially a travel forum so we are all contributors, you me, and everyone else. Yep that includes you! That probably includes most of the protestors who I doubt stay out in Spain all year long. I am staying at an AIRBNB property in Germany tonight for 6 nights. Run by a poor family which needs some lunatic (i.e me!) to stay in the middle of nowhere and walk an hour to the station so they (I) can get the best price as they can’t afford a place in the city.

I do sympathise with folks. How can I not. I am from London, cannot afford either to buy or even rent accommodation in my city or the south of England. Best I can do is live life on the road and find cheap places to stay across the globe. And Airbnb is important to those of us living that lifestyle, as is booking.And there are lots of is. Not everyone has a home. I am sure I may think differently if I had that luxury but I accept the position and don’t start on family tourists.

I agree esp with the 2nd part. Reading through the thread I was thinking that clearly the main anger (as per these signs) is directed mainly towards US and UK tourists and yet... chances are there are enough Spaniards who are as just on a holiday and touristic through their own country as "the foreigners " are.
It is IMHO the whole AirBnB structure that's a problem....
Loads of mainland Spaniards live in the Canaries. The one hour time difference means a work from home employee whose office is in Madrid and is contracted 9-5 can work 8-4 and get out to the beach and surf. Was mobbed during Covid. A few must play that game in the USA? Have an east coast contract and work out west?

As to AirBnB and Spain and in particular people walking on a Camino de Santiago (and not the whole wide world):

First of all, unless I am mistaken, nobody made a statement like ‘don’t book Airbnb’. What I quoted from a DM article was this: Rethink whether it is ethical to stay on AirBnB, for example.

Secondly, yes, there may be a poor family in the middle of nowhere in Germany which needs tourists to stay in their home who walk an hour to the station because the family can’t afford a place in the city. How does this relate to Barcelona, Alicante and specifically to Santiago and other major towns on the Camino Francés? The poor don't rent out all or part of their property in these towns via AirBnB - they cannot afford to live in the town centres and suburbs, they cannot rent and the young cannot buy a home because of AirBnB effects.

So that's where one could rethink one's policy or strategy of finding a lodging - is it a small location full of empty private homes anyway? Or is it a location full of hotels and albergues that does not need to have private flats being reserved for renting by one day visitors or short term visitors?

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As to AirBnB and Spain and in particular people walking on a Camino de Santiago (and not the whole wide world):

First of all, unless I am mistaken, nobody made a statement like ‘don’t book Airbnb’. What I quoted from a DM article was this: Rethink whether it is ethical to stay on AirBnB, for example.

Secondly, yes, there may be a poor family in the middle of nowhere in Germany which needs tourists to stay in their home who walk an hour to the station because the family can’t afford a place in the city. How does this relate to Barcelona, Alicante and specifically to Santiago and other major towns on the Camino Francés? The poor don't rent out all or part of their property in these towns via AirBnB - they cannot afford to live in the town centres and suburbs, they cannot rent and the young cannot buy a home because of AirBnB effects.

So that's where one could rethink one's policy or strategy of finding a lodging - is it a small location full of empty private homes anyway? Or is it a location full of hotels and albergues that does not need to have private flats being reserved for renting by one day visitors or short term visitors?
Sure thanks! There was a ‘don’t book AirBnb’ comment this week, albeit on another thread about Barcelona.

I am thinking more globally because if things are to change then I imagine it would be global change rather than territory specific. It would be interesting to hear from anyone here who rents out their home. Brave to put your hand up, but would admire you for doing do. Do you feel guilty. In the UK private landlords tend to have the brunt of the subject re lack accommodation.

I get the economic equation. I am part of it. I can’t live in my own city. Maybe I’m too accepting but I accept it as part of globalisation, where people are mobile and to a borders degree are open. Most folks who ‘deprive’ me weren’t even born here, but it feels wrong to pull that card! People want to keep ‘their area’ for ‘their people’ I get that but the world has moved on!

Last edited:
Airbnb was launched in 2007. It operated like the familiar concept of bed and breakfast establishments, where the homeowner "lived" on the premises and rented out their extra bedrooms to tourists, etc. It now has evolved into something different, offering the whole home for a short term rent of a day or weeks, with no owner on site. Booking.com has similar offerings now with many apartments listed in cities on their website. I never considered how this practice pushes local residents out.
Screenshot_20240715-125504~2.png

Last edited:
I think all of this discussion about gringo vs. guiri is interesting, but isn’t the most obvious and logical explanation of why the author of the article used “gringo” is because he/she was quoting the sign used by the protester in Alicante? Are people suggesting the author should have changed that term in the article because it isn’t common in Spain?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think all of this discussion about gringo vs. guiri is interesting, but isn’t the most obvious and logical explanation of why the author of the article used “gringo” is because he/she was quoting the sign used by the protester in Alicante? Are people suggesting the author should have changed that term in the article because it isn’t common in Spain?
I guess it questions the authenticity of the protester. Seems very strange. Anyway they reached a new low today. It’s lunch time or dinner time somewhere so I won’t go into detail! .

Sure! It’s hard to know with ‘media’ protests. Who funds it, what the budget is and so on. How real it is. I am not that familiar with Spanish politics or what the media landscape is… I just don’t know! It could all be real for all I know. I don’t doubt the protest is real but have seen many a protest where the ‘hero shots’ aren’t!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hmm. Spontaneous protests usually require a fair bit of organising. Social media makes things much easier. In the old days it would sometimes take a week to gather enough people to attract some media attention to the fact that Southern Water (other polluting water companies are available) had yet again dumped raw sewage onto our beach. With the farceberk group we can alert everyone and gather a picket within half an hour of the latest dump. Local media are getting tired of us. Sadly, Southern Water seems to have greater stamina which, with their incompetence, means we still get raw sewage on our beaches every time it rains.

This, to my mind, explains why protest against the total takeover touristification of cities, towns, villages and even our shit smeared beach (sea views, 7 beds, £1,700 a night anyone?) is finally becoming something more than a “local” issue.

The “Airbnb” across the road from me has de-listed. The explanation? The local cleaners “all wanted too much money”.

That ranted I really hope the mods shut this thread down soon. It has no relevance to the pilgrim on the ways to Santiago. Though it might be of interest to holiday makers who discover that pubs, shops and restaurants in their chosen destinations are closed because they cannot get staff

I really hope the mods shut this thread down soon. It has no relevance to the pilgrim on the ways to Santiago. Though it might be of interest to holiday makers who discover that pubs, shops and restaurants in their chosen destinations are closed because they cannot get staff
Yes, as the Original Poster, sadly, I agree. My original post concerned Santiago and the immediate area specifically. Later, in post #26, I asked what I thought was a serious and legitimate question: How much sway does the Church have in problems of local housing? This was not intended to be a negative comment (in any manner) about the Church--just a simple question.

I would hope this thread can get back to the Camino and Santiago and how the problem of Airbnb and other such lodgings affect the local communities. Oh, yes, and also my question about the Church.

If this thread cannot get back to its original intent, shut it down--please. At present, it is no longer relevant.

Quite a few markets and towns are debating putting more stringent controls on short term rentals. Airbnb was a brilliant idea that has had unexpected consequences. I suspect over the next five or 10 years it'll become common to change the laws in places experiencing problems.

Reasonable accommodation taxes are a good idea. When you're visiting a place you use the infrastructure, and you should pay for it. The only thing I would change is to make it progressive: I.e. a percentage of the price.

Original question: I don't think there will be huge protests in Santiago.

Everybody in the world has heard of Barcelona. Barcelona gets Millions of tourists a year. Santiago is just a provincial capital and most people I mentioned it to unless they happen to have read about the Camino have no idea what I'm talking about.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Short answer: highly unlikely. Barcelona is up there with Venice regarding saturation point from tourism. Tourists is one thing, pilgrims is another. Santiago has been welcoming pilgrims for decades. Barcelona gets “mass tourism,” a big difference.
According to the Santiago locals, it's big groups of pilgrims -- the ones who parade into town singing anthems, shouting slogans, blowing whistles and sometimes using bullhorns to celebrate their arrival. They often leave drifts of litter in their wake, choke up access to doorways, driveways and roads, and just generally make a nuisance of themselves.
And they bring their own lunches, and jump on a bus to go home, so therefore don't spend much money in town to make themselves worth tolerating.

Yes, as the Original Poster, sadly, I agree. My original post concerned Santiago and the immediate area specifically. Later, in post #26, I asked what I thought was a serious and legitimate question: How much sway does the Church have in problems of local housing? This was not intended to be a negative comment (in any manner) about the Church--just a simple question.

I would hope this thread can get back to the Camino and Santiago and how the problem of Airbnb and other such lodgings affect the local communities. Oh, yes, and also my question about the Church.

If this thread cannot get back to its original intent, shut it down--please. At present, it is no longer relevant.
@SBurgess, what influence does the church, “The Church” have on local politics, governance and the practical needs of the local community. None. Or at best very little. Individual priests and laity may do what they can but in most cities the local football club, car manufacturer or tourist bureau probably holds far more “sway” over what happens next. The rule of Caesar’s coin still applies

I highly recommend watching this video that explains in greater details all the issues at hand with tourism in spain and housing and issues with short term rentals. This gentleman puts together very intelligent, cohesive and well explained videos about all that is Spain. Not sure where he lives there with his wife who is a spaniard but it is over 12 years now. Really sheds some different light on many of the issues at hand.

Loads of mainland Spaniards live in the Canaries. The one hour time difference means a work from home employee whose office is in Madrid and is contracted 9-5 can work 8-4 and get out to the beach and surf. Was mobbed during Covid. A few must play that game in the USA? Have an east coast contract and work out west?
actually funny you went that way. in my case Im on east coast and my co's HQs are on the west.
But the client I am working for is on east coast as well. Since I can set my own hours I usually do 6:30-14:30
Do wish I had a beach nearby though ;)

I am Spaniard and can say that gringo is no equal to foreigner in Spain. Normally the word " gringo" in Spain only comes out when talking about international conflicts when one part is not in favour of the US position.
I cannot argue with a Spanish local nor do I want to because in some way - it is immaterial. I pulled the explanation from the Web and if its wrong - I won't lose any sleep over it. Anyone who wishes to call me a gringo are welcome to it (I have quite a thick skin and been called a lot worse than that in my life)
But I think you can agree that even based on the part of your reply (it only comes out when talking about international conflicts when one part is not in favour of the US position.) it is directed towards foreigners only apparently of US persuasion. I guess I was more or less trying to also show that (supposedly) it applied to UK folks as well...
...but then again... on a large scheme of things - who CARES! derogatory term is derogatory term and probably is not worth all the time we just spent discussing it (and all due to some Yahoo holding a sign containing it).

I highly recommend watching this video that explains in greater details all the issues at hand with tourism in spain and housing and issues with short term rentals. This gentleman puts together very intelligent, cohesive and well explained videos about all that is Spain. Not sure where he lives there with his wife who is a spaniard but it is over 12 years now. Really sheds some different light on many of the issues at hand.

@Dani7 - I believe they do live in Barcelona

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
According to the Santiago locals, it's big groups of pilgrims -- the ones who parade into town singing anthems, shouting slogans, blowing whistles and sometimes using bullhorns to celebrate their arrival. They often leave drifts of litter in their wake, choke up access to doorways, driveways and roads, and just generally make a nuisance of themselves.
And they bring their own lunches, and jump on a bus to go home, so therefore don't spend much money in town to make themselves worth tolerating.
That’s not in the pilgrim spirit is it. I guess the Camino is being popularized by a couple of films put out in recent years. That’s unfortunate. I’ve not seen what you describe Rebekah and yes, that sort of behaviour is bound to annoy not only the locals but other more earnest pilgrims who are a little more sensitive to their surroundings. It’s a great pity. I’ve seen similar bus loads arriving in other beautiful parts of Europe. I guess with cheap travel it’s almost inevitable.

Everybody in the world has heard of Barcelona. Barcelona gets Millions of tourists a year. Santiago is just a provincial capital and most people I mentioned it to unless they happen to have read about the Camino have no idea what I'm tatalking about.
Santiago is not just a provincial capital. It is the capital of Galicia, a region that has four provinces. A Coruña is just a provincial capital.

A news article of today about Oviedo. Seasonal rentals increased by a whopping 154% in the last year. Long-term rentals were down by 44%. It is really going fast now in Asturias. Breaking visitor and tourist records every year since Covid.

In the whole of Spain 13% of all rentals are tourist rentals now. So 1 in every 7 or 8 homes! In Barcelona this went up to 42%! That is 1 in every 2 or 3 homes! Those protests are not suprising at all. At the end of the other side is Ourense with 0%.

Yes, I agree we strayed from your original question. But I do think this is a very relevant discussion. As pilgrims and travellers, we are all in a way part of it. It won't harm to create a bit of awareness about what a rapidly increasing influx of visitors can do to a city and its locals.

Santiago is not just a provincial capital. It is the capital of Galicia, a region that has four provinces. A Coruña is just a provincial capital.
Well, the word provincial does not only have a geographical meaning. I meant Santiago is provincial in relation to Barcelona. But really, I just meant that it's a much smaller city. And not on tourist radars like Barcelona.

Galicia is an autonomous community with four provinces. That was something I didn't know because I've never heard the phrase "autonomous community" which seems to be specific to Spain. Good to know, thanks.

I must admit, reading messages like these in the forums has truly dampened my enthusiasm for walking the Camino Frances, to the point where I'm re-considering going at all. I still have a little over a month to cancel my plans before the financial penalties become painful, but it might actually be the best course of action.
This thread has me a bit trepidatious also. I am flying into Barcelona next month and immediately grabbing the train to Zaragoza to begin walking there. What am I getting myself into?

This is my (apparently greedy tourist) fourth Camino, and likely my last. I try to stay in albergues (muni, private or otherwise) or hostals, but sometimes hotels are the only accommodations I can find. Most of the time, I book ahead (please no judgement, I am an anxious person), and can only book what is available. I even try to book directly (not through the .com) and that may or may not work. I try to keep my tourist footprint small.

All this to ask: Is it still safe? I guess I am just looking for reassurance...

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Well, the word provincial does not only have a geographical meaning. I meant Santiago is provincial in relation to Barcelona. But really, I just meant that it's a much smaller city. And not on tourist radars like Barcelona.

Galicia is an autonomous community with four provinces. That was something I didn't know because I've never heard the phrase "autonomous community" which seems to be specific to Spain. Good to know, thanks.
Santiago has a higher tourist/ inhabitant rate than Barcelona.
Spain is a mix between federal and unitary.
Xunta de Galicia has agriculture, fishing and forest control, education, health system ( SERGAS) and some taxes but not justice and doesn' t have an autonomous police either.
The government of Xunta is located in Santiago, also the parliament and consellerias ( ministeries).
A capital of province like A Coruña only has the Deputacion Provincial that gives services for small councils like rubbish collection and local roads.

This thread has me a bit trepidatious also. I am flying into Barcelona next month and immediately grabbing the train to Zaragoza to begin walking there. What am I getting myself into?

This is my (apparently greedy tourist) fourth Camino, and likely my last. I try to stay in albergues (muni, private or otherwise) or hostals, but sometimes hotels are the only accommodations I can find. Most of the time, I book ahead (please no judgement, I am an anxious person), and can only book what is available. I even try to book directly (not through the .com) and that may or may not work. I try to keep my tourist footprint small.

It is as safe now as it ever was. I have lived here for 18 years and have yet to hear about a lone pilgrim being accosted by a local, even a protesting local. It's the big, rowdy groups who get them so upset in Santiago. By all means, come on over and walk. You will marvel at how quiet it is, outside the cities.

Yes, it’s safe. I was in Zaragoza last month and saw one Peregrino. Walking the Ebro?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

If you are staying in Albergue and small, family run Hostal and hotels then you are not part of the problem. The issue from Barcelona to the Balearics and beyond is that local people are being squeezed out of the market by commercial landlords acquiring and letting “holiday” apartments and the consequent slow death of communities

in Barcelona this went up to 42%! That is 1 in every 2 or 3 homes!
That figure seems mind-bogglingly high. Almost half the apartments in Barcelona?

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't know. It's difficult to research in English. But there are 1.7 million people in Barcelona. So let's say there's a .5 million residences? So more than 200,000 tourist apartments? Or maybe that 42% figure is for the central tourist district?

I'm not trying to disagree with you, but I'm interested in where those figures came from. I would be marching in my streets if 42% of the apartments in my city were short-term rentals for tourists!

Santiago has a higher tourist/ inhabitant rate than Barcelona.
Well, if that's the case, maybe there will be big protests in Santiago. When I was there in May 2024, it did seem unpleasantly crowded in the center.

Maybe what will happen is at some point in the future there'll be a couple-year recession and some of those apartments everywhere will convert back into long-term rentals. As I said earlier, this is a problem that impacts me where I live as well. My US state (Maine) of 1.2 million people gets over 20 million tourists a year.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Barcelona. Malaga. Alicante. The Baleares (Mallorca/Menorca/Ibiza). And more will come. These are not main pilgrim startpoints. Relax.

But it is very understandable: When available apartments are bought for AirBnB purposes, it deprives the locals from buying a place to live. I know, bc I live in a similar city. I hear the rolling suitcases outside my door every day. Not fun. And it makes it impossible for (especially) young people to buy a place to live.

My sympathy is with the locals/young people in these cities.

where those figures came from
It says so in the linked article: From the portal inmobiliario Idealista.

That figure seems mind-bogglingly high. Almost half the apartments in Barcelona?
No. The figure of 42% is not 42% of the total number of apartments in Barcelona. It is 42% of the offer of real estate in Barcelona that came to the market during the second quarter of 2024. 42% of this total was offered for seasonal rent in Barcelona.

The full list for the 52 Spanish towns is here (Santiago de Compostela is not in the list, for obvious reasons):
https://www.idealista.com/news/inmo...e-dispara-un-55-y-la-permanente-se-hunde-otro

Last edited:
Well, if that's the case, maybe there will be big protests in Santiago. When I was there in May 2024, it did seem unpleasantly crowded in the center.

Maybe what will happen is at some point in the future there'll be a couple-year recession and some of those apartments everywhere will convert back into long-term rentals. As I said earlier, this is a problem that impacts me where I live as well. My US state (Maine) of 1.2 million people gets over 20 million tourists a year.
I just checked that fifteen US states (Maine included) have less population than Galicia (2.850.000)

I tried to think more broadly about this subject today. Quite a lot of media suggesting that Airbnb restrictions won’t really change the dial by any order of magnitude. I don’t know. I am not in that business. I am also conscious that it is human nature to blame others people. It’s that lot over there not me. We are pilgrims not tourists.

I don’t have enough knowledge of Spain having not lived there albeit spending a lot of time there, although I hope to buy there. The value is incredible if you are from the USA or Western Europe. I think a few people have leverage great financial muscle already. So I reflect on my own city London where I I could never buy and renting would be at least be a 4 person affair in small rooms. The last property I rented was the size of a broom cupboard.

But I have owned property and yes made money on it. It seem to be that the inflation of property prices is at the heart of the issue. A £60k property bought in SE England in 80s would probably fetch £400k today. So let’s say we limited property profits to no more than 100% adjusted for inflation. So the most you could sell your property for would be £120k. Young folks could then buy places and ladder climbers could move on too! Won’t happen of course, homeowners are too ‘greedy’, undertabdly that want to maximise their return, that’s natural and we can blame other people anyway. It’s just a thought.! Would anyone forego the profit on their property for the greater good?

Last edited:
So let’s say we limited property profits to no more than 100% adjusted for inflation. So the most you could sell your property for would be £120k. Young folks could then buy places and ladder climbers could move on too! Won’t happen of course, homeowners are too greedy, but a thought! Would anyone forego the profit on their property for the greater good? Just a thought albeit with lots of caveats.
Such schemes exist near where I live. There's an island off the coast of Maine called Monhegan. There's a land trust that owns houses, and when the houses are sold, you can only make a small profit. I think it's because the trusts own the land under the house and it's in the deed.

It's a little hard to understand how it works, but a friend of mine bought one of those houses many years ago, and although she can sell it, her profit is limited to a few percentage points a year (possibly tied to inflation).

A house that's part of this program sells for around US$200,000. The houses on the island that are not part of this program sell for closer to $1 million.

The houses can't be sold as second homes. They have to be your primary residence. And their hope is to attract younger families.

I would imagine this would be pretty difficult to popularize elsewhere.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The houses can't be sold as second homes. They have to be your primary residence. And their hope is to attract younger families.
This is the only way to solve the problem. But greed will prevent it. Not a fair and human-friendly world, I know.

Such schemes exist near where I live. There's an island off the coast of Maine called Monhegan. There's a land trust that owns houses, and when the houses are sold, you can only make a small profit. I think it's because the trusts own the land under the house and it's in the deed.

It's a little hard to understand how it works, but a friend of mine bought one of those houses many years ago, and although she can sell it, her profit is limited to a few percentage points a year (possibly tied to inflation).

A house that's part of this program sells for around US$200,000. The houses on the island that are not part of this program sell for closer to $1 million.

I would imagine this would be pretty difficult to popularize elsewhere.

Ah interesting and thank you. It’s a pipe dream globally of course, certainly at the moment. But who knows!

This is the only way to solve the problem. But greed will prevent it. Not a fair and human-friendly world, I know.
Yes I would love to ban second homes and profiteering by home owners. Be interesting to see how the situ develops.

Who knows how the times go. When I had my farm in Wales most of my neighbours were very happy to sell their Tyn’s and Plas’s to the “idiot” outsiders who’d pay at least twice what it was worth, maybe three times if it had a nice view. The shopkeepers and publicans rubbed their hands in glee. Daft foreigners moving in and with money in their pockets!!

Well, the last pub in the valley closed 10 years ago now. The butcher and baker lasted a bit longer. Even the grocer’s van doesn’t bother those steep and winding roads anymore. The holiday makers unload their groceries brought from home. There’s scarcely a light to be seen in the valley on a winter’s night. Xept Christmas week of course and even then the bloody tree comes in a snug wrap from Waitrose in Worplesdon. Oh, and the last few still working the land live in crumbling caravans out of sight of any one that might get offended.

So, at the risk of offending just about everyone: you are only part of the problem if you are part of the problem.

A Pilgrim walking to Santiago, staying in Albergue, Hostales, Pensiones. A pilgrim walking to Santiago spending their money in all those lovely little shops, bars and meson. A pilgrim who accepts rather than requires. They’re not part of the problem.

But next time you find that perfect country cottage for your R&R…….

A pilgrim who accepts rather than requires. They’re not part of the problem.
Agreed. Pilgrims are not causing the problem. Tourists are. I have the belief that the Spanish also know that. Hoverer, to respond to the OP, if pilgrims start using AirBnB in Santiago, it may become a pilgrim problem there.

I was in Spain for two months in 2019. In Girona I saw only a few tourists, but there was a giant banner hung across the center of town that in English only said they wanted tourists to leave because they were taking all the housing. In Santiago after a month of walking in the summer heat there was graffiti in multiple places, again only in English, that said "tourists go home". It was really deflating. Pilgrims have come there for a century.

I hope Spain comes up with a way to manage tourist numbers BEFORE people arrive and spend thousands of dollars there. It was really a hard on my heart part of the trip.

I went to Portugal for a month after the Camino and the first morning I went looking for a coffee and there was a big graffiti sign outside that said, "welcome tourists". I almost cried.
I strongly doubt we will ever see signs in Galicia saying "pilgrims go home". Because that's exactly what pilgrims arriving in Santiago wish to do: go home.

Since I've just discovered this I'll share it: There is an Observatorio del Alquiler. This Rental Observatory for Spain proposes to provide rigorous, complete and regular information, with an analysis of the state of the rental market in Spain and a historical view of its trend. I am sure that it is a useful tool to gain insight about the actual situation in Spain, in the provinces, and in the cities and towns before proposing solutions.

Concerning Santiago, as has been pointed out several times in this thread, a major issue, according to current news and social media activists, are the large and noisy groups of foot pilgrims who enter the town through the San Pedro suburb and the Rúa de San Pedro with chanting, singing, shouting and musical accompaniment, especially during the summer months. And that's not an issue that is shared by Barcelona, Venice or Alicante.

As to Barcelona, here is a reality check: 50% of the properties (appartments, houses, etc) are owned by those who live in it; 25% is rented; 6% has other arrangements than being owner or tenant; 15% are secondary homes and only 1,5% of the real estate of Barcelona (appartments, houses, etc) are tourist rentals. Source: Porcentaje de viviendas por régimen de tenencia en Barcelona. Read the news carefully before jumping to conclusions.

Last edited:
Since I've just discovered this I'll share it: There is an Observatorio del Alquiler. This Rental Observatory for Spain proposes to provide rigorous, complete and regular information, with an analysis of the state of the rental market in Spain and a historical view of its trend. I am sure that it is a useful tool to gain insight about the actual situation in Spain, in the provinces, and in the cities and towns before proposing solutions.

Concerning Santiago, as has been pointed out several times in this thread, a major issue, according to current news and social media activists, are the large and noisy groups of foot pilgrims who enter the town through the San Pedro suburb and the Rúa de San Pedro with chanting, singing, shouting and musical accompaniment, especially during the summer months. And that's not an issue that is shared by Barcelona, Venice or Alicante.

As to Barcelona, here is a reality check: 50% of the properties (appartments, houses, etc) are owned by those who live in it; 25% is rented; 6% has other arrangements than being owner or tenant; 15% are secondary homes and only 1,5% of the real estate of Barcelona (appartments, houses, etc) are tourist rentals. Source: Porcentaje de viviendas por régimen de tenencia en Barcelona. Read the news carefully before jumping to conclusions.
Blimey 1.5 %. I was expecting maybe 5 %. Great detective work! Happy and reassuring to see such a small number! A lesson learnt for all of I guess. .

Last edited:
These statistics don't sound quite as awful as I'd thought. It now has me wondering why the big protest march in Barcelona and Alicante. Possibly the locals in particular are just plain tired of all the throngs of tourists that are increasing each year, making their lives less peaceful, unless they are a business owner enjoying profits of sales.
I spent several days in Barcelona before a cruise. I can see where stops on cruise ships would be a huge annoyance to those who live there.
I met an Italian man from Venice on my Camino in 2015 and when I mentioned to him he lived in such a beautiful unique city, he replied "Not with all the tourists we have to put up with". I can only imagine how busy it is now, nearly nine years later.

Blimey 1.5 %. I was expecting maybe 5 %. Great detective work!
It's not detective work. It's just reading.

1.5% for all of Barcelona does not tell you, for example, that the relevant numbers amount to 12% in some barrios of Barcelona and to 0.3% in other barrios (as % of all rented accommodation In Barcelona) or range from 0.08% to 4% (as % of all accommodation in Barcelona). That's on the website, too.

For similar reasons, the fact that Santiago has a higher tourist/inhabitant rate than Barcelona as mentioned earlier does not necessairly mean that there will be big protests coming to Santiago that are similar to Barcelona as presumed in another post. Tourists don't spread out evenly across a town or city. There is concentration in specific areas like the Old Town and similar locations.

Last edited:
These statistics don't sound quite as awful as I'd thought. It now has me wondering why the big protest march in Barcelona and Alicante. Possibly the locals in particular are just plain tired of all the throngs of tourists that are increasing each year, making their lives less peaceful, unless they are a business owner enjoying profits of sales.
I spent several days in Barcelona before a cruise. I can see where stops on cruise ships would be a huge annoyance to those who live there.
I met an Italian man from Venice on my Camino in 2015 and when I mentioned to him he lived in such a beautiful unique city, he replied "Not with all the tourists we have to put up with". I can only imagine how busy it is now, nearly nine years later.
Things get whipped up I guess. Hysteria sells! It’s a good and very visual story. I’ve certainly clicked a few times. It reminds me very much of the immigration reporting by the UK media. >99% of the coverage is focused on <1% of the immigrants, namely the ones that come over on small boats without prior approval. People get whipped up beyond belief. ‘Taking our houses,, our jobs, and our doctors appointments’, whereas the real debate should about the bigger picture.

The ‘tourists go home’ banners resonate with me as my parents are Irish Immigrants and I remember ‘Paddy, go home’, daubed on our wall as a small boy. I wouldn’t pretend immigration and tourism are the same subject, but outsiders,and smaller groups who have less of voice, do often get blamed!

I hope it doesn’t escalate. it’s one thing firing water at UK middle class DINKYs, but the Cavalry will be rolling into Spain from this weekend and they may not be so accepting!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
  1. It's not detective work. It's just reading.

1.5% for all of Barcelona does not tell you, for example, that the relevant numbers amount to 12% in some barrios of Barcelona and to 0.3% in other barrios (as % of all rented accommodation In Barcelona) or range from 0.08% to 4% (as % of all accommodation in Barcelona). That's on the website, too.

For similar reasons, the fact that Santiago has a higher tourist/inhabitant rate than Barcelona as mentioned earlier does not necessairly mean that there will be big protests coming to Santiago that are similar to Barcelona as presumed in another post. Tourists don't spread out evenly across a town or city. There is concentration in specific areas like the Old Town and similar locations.
    Sure! Sorry I was using detective as slang. Anyone who by any means get to the numbers! Old work phrase! Sure not expecting too much correlation across the barrios, but still 1.5% is a very powerful number.
Equally powerful is the 15% secondary homes number!

Last edited:
These statistics don't sound quite as awful as I'd thought. It now has me wondering why the big protest march in Barcelona and Alicante. Possibly the locals in particular are just plain tired of all the throngs of tourists...
I suspect that's it to an extent. Also, there are probably just overall housing shortages and increasing prices in Barcelona ( and other popular cities worldwide) for a multiplicity of reasons. That said, I found the Rambla and central Barcelona irritatingly crowded

Protesting tourists is an easy answer to a complicated problem.

I don't like how my quiet town is overrun by tourists in the summer, but I also know that my main street wouldn't have the year-round vibrancy without that big injection of money each summer.

A Pilgrim walking to Santiago, staying in Albergue, Hostales, Pensiones. A pilgrim walking to Santiago spending their money in all those lovely little shops, bars and meson. A pilgrim who accepts rather than requires. They’re not part of the problem.

Agreed. Pilgrims are not causing the problem. Tourists are. I have the belief that the Spanish also know that. Hoverer, to respond to the OP, if pilgrims start using AirBnB in Santiago, it may become a pilgrim problem there.
I think the answer is probably much more nuanced than pilgrims good, tourists bad.

I doubt that most Spaniards living along the Camino Frances are making a real distinction between whether you are a pilgrim or a tourist. Certainly, if you were behaving appropriately, you're not irritating anyone, but sometimes it's just a low-level irritation because it's so crowded. And people from elsewhere are easy targets to blame for larger problems.

Last edited:

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't know. It's difficult to research in English. But there are 1.7 million people in Barcelona. So let's say there's a .5 million residences? So more than 200,000 tourist apartments? Or maybe that 42% figure is for the central tourist district?

I'm not trying to disagree with you, but I'm interested in where those figures came from. I would be marching in my streets if 42% of the apartments in my city were short-term rentals for tourists!
I find it hard to believe too. I was just quoting that news article. Didn't do any research myself. Can imagine though they are talking about the city center.

It says so in the linked article: From the portal inmobiliario Idealista.

No. The figure of 42% is not 42% of the total number of apartments in Barcelona. It is 42% of the offer of real estate in Barcelona that came to the market during the second quarter of 2024. 42% of this total was offered for seasonal rent in Barcelona.

The full list for the 52 Spanish towns is here (Santiago de Compostela is not in the list, for obvious reasons):
https://www.idealista.com/news/inmo...e-dispara-un-55-y-la-permanente-se-hunde-otro
Ah, thanks for correcting me!

Well, my friends, this thread may not have answered my initial question on the effects of tourism/pilgrims on Santiago, but it certainly has initiated interesting comments.
Like Kathar1na, I prefer to read local news. This type of news usually reflects a truer view of local perspectives on local issues. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any English-language news sites for Santiago.
So... here is another view of Pilgrims and their effect on the Camino. Much to my dismay, it exposes some ugly Americans.:mad:

Attacking your own! Tut,tut!

Thanks for putting that number in the proper context. The article also makes the important observation about the rate of increase of the “seasonal rentals.” I think that could also be fueling a lot of the protests, because the trends are pretty staggering.

Málaga has 99% more than last year, Bilbao (73%), Palma (72%), Valencia (70%), Sevilla (63%), Madrid (53%), Barcelona (48%), Alicante (22%) and San Sebastián (21%).

And one last point — the 42% figure also makes an impact when you put it in the context of the increases over the past year. Think about someone who is new to Barcelona and looking for a place to live, or has to find a new place to live. That person is going to find that 42% of the available places are for seasonal rentals, and that person is also going to find that it is much more difficult this year than last year to find a place to rent because of the pace of increase in seasonal rentals.

Whatever the total percentage of seasonal rentals in any urban housing market, I think there’s no doubt that people are responding to a real and significant trend that is making it much more difficult to find rental housing, and even more difficult to find affordable rental housing.

Thanks for putting that number in the proper context. The article also makes the important observation about the rate of increase of the “seasonal rentals.” I think that could also be fueling a lot of the protests, because the trends are pretty staggering.

Málaga has 99% more than last year, Bilbao (73%), Palma (72%), Valencia (70%), Sevilla (63%), Madrid (53%), Barcelona (48%), Alicante (22%) and San Sebastián (21%).

And one last point — the 42% figure also makes an impact when you put it in the context of the increases over the past year. Think about someone who is new to Barcelona and looking for a place to live, or has to find a new place to live. That person is going to find that 42% of the available places are for seasonal rentals, and that person is also going to find that it is much more difficult this year than last year to find a place to rent because of the pace of increase in seasonal rentals.

Whatever the total percentage of seasonal rentals in any urban housing market, I think there’s no doubt that people are responding to a real and significant trend that is making it much more difficult to find rental housing, and even more difficult to find affordable rental housing.
Lots of interesting figures for sure! I was struck by the 15% secondary home figure. That’s a lot of property.

I am looking at relocating to Spain. Maybe with the exception of Northumberland and Merseyside i could never hope to buy in England. Looking through ‘Idealista’ there seem to so many properties in the €60-80k type price. Not BCN or MAD but some of the beautiful second cities and their surrounds. I am not saying that all Spaniards can afford that but it will be interesting to see how it plays out and folks play their hand around relocation and if they need/want to. Covid was meant to be a catalyst for this in UK (?working from home and all that) but doesn’t seem to have materialised.

I met some US folks last week on a bus from LA to Vegas. I commented on their amount of luggage and they told me they were moving and had sold their small house in East LA and bought a house 5 times as big in Nevada.

I suspect that's it to an extent. Also, there are probably just overall housing shortages and increasing prices in Barcelona ( and other popular cities worldwide) for a multiplicity of reasons. That said, I found the Rambla and central Barcelona irritatingly crowded

Protesting tourists is an easy answer to a complicated problem.

I don't like how my quiet town is overrun by tourists in the summer, but I also know that my main street wouldn't have the year-round vibrancy without that big injection of money each summer.

I think the answer is probably much more nuanced than pilgrims good, tourists bad.

I doubt that most Spaniards living along the Camino Frances are making a real distinction between whether you are a pilgrim or a tourist. Certainly, if you were behaving appropriately, you're not irritating anyone, but sometimes it's just a low-level irritation because it's so crowded. And people from elsewhere are easy targets to blame for larger problems.
It is possible that locals in the big cities: Pamplona, Burgos, León and of course Santiago confuse pilgrims with tourists, although I would think a backpack, sticks and a general disheveled appearence give us away easily. But in the other hundreds of small villages Caminos go through, there is no tourism whatsoever and the pilgrim influx breathes life into the España Vaciada (empty Spain).

I strongly doubt we will ever see signs in Galicia saying "pilgrims go home". Because that's exactly what pilgrims arriving in Santiago wish to do: go home.
Except for those who are sad that their Camino is over and wish they could keep walking, or those who intend to walk on to Finisterre and/or Muxia. There are a few that are not eager to get back to their busy lives at home.

Except for those who are sad that their Camino is over and wish they could keep walking, or those who intend to walk on to Finisterre and/or Muxia. There are a few that are not eager to get back to their busy lives at home.
Of course, the dreaded post-Camino blues. Which keep so many of us returning to haunt Spain year after year.

I remember when albergues needed pilgrims. They even resorted to dirty tricks to get them (false yellow arrows). The number of pilgrims so far this year is greater than for an entire year a decade ago! Like the hills, it is a bit of a sine wave. The huge crowd this year will return home and bad mouth the experience. Enthusiasm will wane. Barcelona will holster the water pistols and do a scientific analysis of tourism and income. Airbnbs will become unprofitable and come on the market at desperation prices.

Etc.

Abide.

I remember when albergues needed pilgrims. They even resorted to dirty tricks to get them (false yellow arrows). The number of pilgrims so far this year is greater than for an entire year a decade ago! Like the hills, it is a bit of a sine wave. The huge crowd this year will return home and bad mouth the experience. Enthusiasm will wane. Barcelona will holster the water pistols and do a scientific analysis of tourism and income. Airbnbs will become unprofitable and come on the market at desperation prices.

Etc.

Abide.
False yellows arrows? Really!!

False yellows arrows? Really!!
Oh yes!

Most innocuously in the small towns and villages where walking a parallel path would bring custom to otherwise bypassed shops and bars.

More annoyingly in rural areas where ‘cafe arrows’ might add a considerable distance and - the ultimate annoyance - lead you to a closed or long defunct destination.

They rarely get the shade of yellow precisely right.

Who knows how the times go. When I had my farm in Wales most of my neighbours were very happy to sell their Tyn’s and Plas’s to the “idiot” outsiders who’d pay at least twice what it was worth, maybe three times if it had a nice view. The shopkeepers and publicans rubbed their hands in glee. Daft foreigners moving in and with money in their pockets!!

Well, the last pub in the valley closed 10 years ago now. The butcher and baker lasted a bit longer. Even the grocer’s van doesn’t bother those steep and winding roads anymore. The holiday makers unload their groceries brought from home. There’s scarcely a light to be seen in the valley on a winter’s night. Xept Christmas week of course and even then the bloody tree comes in a snug wrap from Waitrose in Worplesdon. Oh, and the last few still working the land live in crumbling caravans out of sight of any one that might get offended.

So, at the risk of offending just about everyone: you are only part of the problem if you are part of the problem.

But next time you find that perfect country cottage for your R&R…….
When I lived in Wales for a few months (renting a room from a friend of a friend) the most notable thing was that the pub never shut!

Apparently not everyone in Galicia thinks it is a problem.

-------------------------
"We have been working very hard for years to promote our town and the results are coming," says Bernardo Fernández, mayor of Pontedeume and president of the Association of Councils of the English Way.
The Councillor for Tourism, Ángela Piñeiro, praises "the impact of these very positive figures on the services sector and on the local economy as a whole."
-------------------------

Lewd tourist antics on Florence statue.

This is the type of incident that local Camino residents will use to argue unless some positive action is taken; Santiago (or some communities along the Camino) will suffer the same fate.
"This is the result of years of attempts at turning Florence into Disneyland."

The problem is not the consequences for the visitors but the problems for the inhabitants of the cities that receive many visitors(the sparce houses that are rented to tourists via Air B&B, the crowds and so on)
Maybe (because the housing shortage seems to be worldwide) it could be Air BnB that’s the problem. All the places that are now Air BnB used to be long term rentals. 🤔

In my town in Arctic Norway, at the top of the world, famous for Northern Lights, midnight sun, unspoiled nature etc., there is a start of an uprise going on. Tourists are sh**ting in private gardens/garages, peeing wherever, parking their camper vans on business/private properties/graveyeards, whatever. Signs are now coming up towards them.

And as the hotel industry is enjoyng offering rooms at 400-600€/night, AirBnB is thriving, making is impossible for locals to get a place to live.

Here is a poster from a local who is tired of tourists camping on his private property.:

Turister.jpg

Not exclusively in Spain...

In addition, tourists are using our surrounding nature as a free toilet, spreading sh*t and toilet paper everywhere.

Maybe (because the housing shortage seems to be worldwide) it could be Air BnB that’s the problem. All the places that are now Air BnB used to be long term rentals. 🤔
"Airbnb doesn't allow properties to be rented out for more than 90 nights per year. If your limit for bookings is reached, Airbnb will automatically close your property until the end of the calendar year. In addition to 90 consecutive days, the 90-day limit also applies to 90 days spread throughout the year."

The economics and profit to an individual property owner are quite complex. Being a landlord may be the worst avocation in the world!

"Airbnb doesn't allow properties to be rented out for more than 90 nights per year. If your limit for bookings is reached, Airbnb will automatically close your property until the end of the calendar year. In addition to 90 consecutive days, the 90-day limit also applies to 90 days spread throughout the year."

The economics and profit to an individual property owner are quite complex. Being a landlord may be the worst avocation in the world!
Where do you hear that?

Where do you hear that?
Greater London introduced a 90 days rule for AirBnB rentals. Other towns and regions around the world introduced similar limits. It is not universal. I don’t think that it applies to Santiago. Or Barcelona for that matter. For anyone interested in limits in a particular town or region and for location-specific law, I’d suggest to just google it.

Thank you! Yes that makes sense. Certainly not applicable across all of Spain.

Looking for rationality in gut reactions is futile. This too will pass. You are right; just abide.
A bit off topic for most folks....but....@falcon269...is that really you?
If so, it is great to see you here again!
A lot has changed both here and on the Camino.:cool:

London and Amsterdam. Barcelona will have a ban. The macroeconomic assertion that airbnb has replaced long term rentals is not accurate.

Airbnb maintains that private room rentals have little to no impact on the availability of local housing, as people who rent out private rooms live in the same property. But a study published last year in the Journal of Urban Economics found that Airbnb activity in Barcelona has increased rents by 7 percent and housing prices by 17 percent in the neighborhoods that have the highest levels of activity on the platform. In the average neighborhood, the effects were a 1.9 percent increase in rent and a 4.6 percent increase in housing price.
Complaints about touristification effects and nuisances have resulted in local policy implementation that limits the expansion of platforms such as Airbnb. Such policy responses include permit requirements (Barcelona, Berlin, Paris, San Francisco, and Los Angeles), limiting the rental period (Amsterdam, New York, Paris, and San Francisco), paying a rental tax (Amsterdam and San Francisco), or outlawing short-term rentals under some conditions (Berlin and New York).
"Certainly not applicable across all of Spain."

Airbnb verges on inapplicable for the Camino. Albergues, hoteles, private rooms, and enthusiasts have left no market where just the cleaning expenses of an airbnb dwarf the nightly costs of other accommodations.

I guess I am wondering why protests in Barcelona are part of a Camino discussion! We are a curious and diverse bunch looking for a bed, a meal, and new friends (an WiFi)...

Thank you very much. Yes only asked because I know you can get at least 6 month bookings in Spain with significant long stay discounts.

You make some excellent points and thank you for calming the hysteria!

Last edited:
calming the hysteria!
I don't detect much hysteria. Just individual extrapolation and generalisation where it is difficult to say whether it is imaginary or has some base in facts and reality. What I do see is a cacophony of links from the internet and comments and opinions, which, while interesting, appear to be barely or not at all related to the specific situation of Santiago de Compostela and Galicia as a tourist destination. Of which we appear to know little.

Take the newest example: A long quote from a US Legal Forms website about a 90 days rule concerning AirBnB that does not apply to Spain or to Santiago or to Barcelona. The net quickly delivers confirmation that such a rule exists, not only in parts of the USA but also in Europe, namely in London. However, the London rule applies only to lets of "whole properties", i.e. whole flats or houses, and not to a room or two within someone's apartment [aka as flat :)] for example. And anyway, while issues are similar in many cities, the housing market in the UK, especially in London and the South East, is complex and significantly different from Spain.

Then another long quote from a New York Times article from three years ago about Barcelona and their then new "ban, which took effect on Aug. 6 [2021 and] sets Barcelona apart as the only major city in Europe to have forbidden short-term private room rentals, even as it continues to allow the renting of entire apartments — so long as the owner of the property holds the appropriate license." It is actually a long and detailed article about the developments in Barcelona but there is no mention of Santiago and of the specific problems that Santiago has or may have in the future and how they tackle them.

What transpires from these linked articles is the fact that this is mainly a question of legislation and regularisation of the local housing markets and employment markets by the local administrations - and this includes detection and elimination of illegal and unlicensed lettings to tourists. There is little if anything that the one-day pilgrim visitor can do in the respect.

Last edited:
As to AirBnb and Santiago and the Camino, imho, there, too, the thread would benefit from a more nuanced discussion. I've noticed that there have been comments by forum members who stayed in AirBnB along the Camino and/or in Santiago.

I myself once used AirBnB to find a room during Semana Santa in Burgos when all the hotels appeared to be full or hideously expensive. In this case it was a couple who offered two bedrooms in their third floor apartment in the Cathedral area on AirBnB. So there is already a difference between letting stand-alone apartments and rooms within one's own living quarters. The latter is similar to staying "chez l'habitant" in France or "Zimmer Frei" in the German and Austrian Alps. Customs that are more than half a century old and were well established long before the arrival of AirBnB.

Then there are the half deserted villages along the Camino, especially in Galicia and in parts of Castilla y Leon where houses are empty or perhaps owned by erstwhile villagers who have moved to Madrid or Barcelona [sic] for better employment opportunities and have renovated the family home in the village to stay there during the summer. I can't imagine that there is any "touristic pressure" on the housing market in these villages where Camino pilgrims quickly pass through or stay for just one night.

Last edited:
I don't detect much hysteria. Just individual extrapolation and generalisation where it is difficult to say whether it is imaginary or has some base in facts and reality. What I do see is a cacophony of links from the internet and comments and opinions, which, while interesting, appear to be barely or not at all related to the specific situation of Santiago de Compostela and Galicia as a tourist destination. Of which we appear to know little.

Take the newest example: A long quote from a US Legal Forms website about a 90 days rule concerning AirBnB that does not apply to Spain or to Santiago or to Barcelona. The net quickly delivers confirmation that such a rule exists, not only in parts of the USA but also in Europe, namely in London. However, the London rule applies only to lets of "whole properties", i.e. whole flats or houses, and not to a room or two within someone's apartment [aka as flat :)] for example. And anyway, while issues are similar in many cities, the housing market in the UK, especially in London and the South East, is complex and significantly different from Spain.

Then another long quote from a New York Times article from three years ago about Barcelona and their then new "ban, which took effect on Aug. 6 [2021 and] sets Barcelona apart as the only major city in Europe to have forbidden short-term private room rentals, even as it continues to allow the renting of entire apartments — so long as the owner of the property holds the appropriate license." It is actually a long and detailed article about the developments in Barcelona but there is no mention of Santiago and of the specific problems that Santiago has or may have in the future and how they tackle them.

What transpires from these linked articles is the fact that this is mainly a question of legislation and regularisation of the local housing markets and employment markets by the local administrations - and this includes detection and elimination of illegal and unlicensed lettings to tourists. There is little if anything that the one-day pilgrim visitor can do in the respect.
Thank you! Agreed. Sorry I wasn’t clear. I was talking ‘hysteria’ from a UK media standpoint. Maybe that wasn’t the right word but I had lunch with a Spanish couple yesterday (from Malaga) and they used the word ‘hysteria’ which suprised me but they used to live in London so know the word. UK media nowadays is largely driven by hysteria.

I cannot comment about how the Spanish media or indeed the various government ministers are playing it. It’s the big getaway weekend to Spain in the UK (IT permitting) so was expecting some coverage but nothing so far. Not surprising I guess.

I subscribe to ‘The Local’ (I’m guessing you probably do too!) which is the only I place I get what I consider to be a balanced view of what the issues are.

Huge number of factors of course. I was quite taken by the 1.5% Airbnb number especially when set against gen secondary homes number.

As someone who has been priced out of my home city, I am keen that protests work but they need to protest against the right things. Whilst people make take pleasure from sanctions against Airbnb, it if produces no material benefit for the folks having problems, it s hollow victory!

As to AirBnb and Santiago and the Camino, imho, there, too, the thread would benefit from a more nuanced discussion. I've noticed that there have been comments by forum members who stayed in AirBnB along the Camino and/or in Santiago.

I myself once used AirBnB to find a room during Semana Santa in Burgos when all the hotels appeared to be full or hideously expensive. In this case it was a couple who offered two bedrooms in their third floor apartment in the Cathedral area on AirBnB. So there is already a difference between letting stand-alone apartments and rooms within one's own living quarters. The latter is similar to staying "chez l'habitant" in France or "Zimmer Frei" in the German and Austrian Alps. Customs that are more than half a century old and were well established long before the arrival of AirBnB.

Then there are the half deserted villages along the Camino, especially in Galicia and in parts of Castilla y Leon where houses are empty or perhaps owned by erstwhile villagers who have moved to Madrid or Barcelona [sic] for better employment opportunities and have renovated the family home in the village to stay there during the summer. I can't imagine that there is any "touristic pressure" on the housing market in these villages where Camino pilgrims quickly pass through or stay for just one night.
I have used Airbnb a fair bit though booking . com are my ‘go to’. Currently staying in one in the German countryside for 7 nights. I tend to use them for longer stays of one week up to one month, though I do have a 6 month booking with them next summer. Hugely variable from someone’s spare room to a private home. Let’s see it plays out I guess. Thanks for wading through the quagmire.

It’s the big getaway weekend to Spain in the UK (IT permitting) so was expecting some coverage but nothing so far. Not surprising I guess.
You are right. The topic has disappeared for the time being in the UK media (which is often the main source for articles in the global English language news media) and it is currently replaced by other big news. Best headline I saw so far: "Computer says no". 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Stopped in at a Starbucks in Vancouver today. I don’t care for Starbucks but was with a friend who likes it. A latte or similar at Starbucks costs around €4. That’s a typical price for any coffee...
Hi everyone, I leave for my Camino in a few short weeks and am trying to figure out what the washing machine situation is. I will be traveling on the CP from Porto and hoping to take the coastal...
A Stolperstein is a ten-centimetre (3.9 in) concrete cube bearing a brass plate inscribed with the name and life dates of victims of Nazi extermination or persecution. Literally, it means...
The affect of a church on each of us is highly subjective and possibly based on many considerations, including; location, architecture, a particular statue, perhaps a memory inspired by an art...
76 year old male looking to do another Camino around April 2025. Completed CF from SJPP in 2022 and Portuguese from Porto earlier this year. I’ve looked at del Norte, but wanted to keep days...
Dear Forum Members, I’m reaching out to invite those planning to walk the Camino de Santiago to participate in a research study aimed at exploring the effects of the Camino pilgrimage on health...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.