Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Frances 2018
Frances 2018
Ponferrada-Santiago
July 2019
Something puzzles me why do people fly to Pamplona then travel back to SJPP would Biarritz be more logical ? then train from Bayonne.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There’s not much in it either way and it partially depends on which connection you can most easily get from your start point.

I’m more puzzled with the fixation with starting in St Jean; a fair number of Spaniards would consider Roncesvalles as a start point whilst I, having started in St Jean twice have, since then started in Pamplona.

There’s not much in it either way and it partially depends on which connection you can most easily get from your start point.

I’m more puzzled with the fixation with starting in St Jean; a fair number of Spaniards would consider Roncesvalles as a start point whilst I, having started in St Jean twice have, since then started in Pamplona.
Assume its about climbing the Pyrenees and suffering.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In my case: The travelling costs to Biarritz would have been twice as high as to travelling to Pamplona. In addition to that, there were no direct flights. I would have had to fly to Biarritz via Paris whereas to Pamplona there was a direct flight. That's why I didn't see any advantage in it, both in terms of time and money.

So it probably always depends on your personal circumstances which airport you choose as your point of arrival.

Apart from that, being from Europe, I would actually have liked to travel by train. Because that would have been the cheapest way and would only have taken 1 1/2 hours longer than the flight. But as strikes were announced, I chose the flight.

Last edited:
Something puzzles me why do people fly to Pamplona then travel back to SJPP would Biarritz be more logical ? then train from Bayonne.
I am puzzled why you would think others were not able to make logical decisions about their travel arrangements based on what route they take to SJPP. I have walked from there twice, once arriving from Pamplona, the other from Bayonne. Neither time did it make any sense to fly into Bairritz. I suppose we all judge others based on our own criteria, but it does seem odd to be so openly judgemental on such narrow criteria.

That, and is there any reason left to call it the Frances if you start somewhere in Spain?
The reason I've heard, back in the 90s, why it's called the Francès is because the French founded many villages along the route, and for a time French was spoken in those villages -- until their descendants began speaking Spanish instead.

So if that's correct, it's not about starting in France, but it's because of a historic French presence on that route.

BTW if you go via Valcarlos, you only officially reach the Francès at the Ibañeta Pass, as the Saint-Palais to Ibañeta section is called the Voie de Navarre.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
That’s why:

They don’t live in Europe; there are no direct flights to Biarritz for them; there are no direct flights from Madrid, Barcelona and Porto to Biarritz; and long-distance flights (there and back) to one of these three international airports in Spain or Portugal is the best option for them as to cost in time and money - better than to Dublin, London, Paris or Frankfurt.

And like next to everybody else on the forum they want to walk over the Pyrenees at least once before they join the crowd who says that you don’t have to start in SJPP …

Direct flights to Biarritz:
1727504621742.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In my case: The travelling costs to Biarritz would have been twice as high as to travelling to Pamplona. In addition to that, there were no direct flights. I would have had to fly to Biarritz via Paris whereas to Pamplone there was a direct flight. That's why I didn't see any advantage in it, both in terms of time and money.

So it probably always depends on your personal circumstances which airport you choose as your point of arrival.

Apart from that, being from Europe, I would actually have liked to travel by train. Because that would have been the cheapest way and would only have taken 1 1/2 hours longer than the flight. But as strikes were announced, I chose the flight.
What's your starting point ?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am puzzled why you would think others were not able to make logical decisions about their travel arrangements based on what route they take to SJPP. I have walked from there twice, once arriving from Pamplona, the other from Bayonne. Neither time did it make any sense to fly into Bairritz. I suppose we all judge others based on our own criteria, but it does seem odd to be so openly judgemental on such narrow criteria.
Sorry Douglas did not mean anything by it, just a purely simple question from a purely simple person 😔

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There used to be a direct flight between Frankfurt and Pamplona but that is long gone. There are only two direct flights to and from Pamplona now: Madrid and Gran Canaria.

Is there not a direct flight from Madrid to Biarritz ? Thought seen on arrivals at Biarritz.

Is there not a direct flight from Madrid to Biarritz ? Thought seen on arrivals at Biarritz.
No, there aren’t any direct flights from Madrid to Biarritz. Use the airports’ own websites or Skyscanner or a similar website if you want to check for yourself.

PS: I see on the French Wikipedia that there used to be a direct connection Madrid-Biarritz. It has ceased to exist. Is that why you started the thread - because you thought that such a direct flight still exists?

Last edited:
Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.
Going slightly off subject, I was looking at Voie de Tours, getting as far as Tours then flying back to the UK. Then starting again etc.

Seems that depending on the day of the week the cheapest flights would route me through Porto (nice place), or Marseilles (never been) or Marrakesh (would love to go). All for a 300 mile return journey.

Airline routing seems to be a enjoyable lottery of places you might never see again.

Going slightly off subject, I was looking at Voie de Tours, getting as far as Tours then flying back to the UK. Then starting again etc.

Seems that depending on the day of the week the cheapest flights would route me through Porto (nice place), or Marseilles (never been) or Marrakesh (would love to go). All for a 300 mile return journey.

Airline routing seems to be an enjoyable lottery of places you might never see again.
Well Marseille is a great place to visit!! As in Marrakesh is you can stay over a few days.

And slightly more to the point ;), this is what Skyscanner came up with for a flight from Madrid to Biarritz on Monday - two days from now:
  • The fastest flight takes 4h 15min with a stopover in Geneva and costs €531.
  • The "deal" or "best" flight costs €192 and takes 5h 35min with a stopover in Lyon.
  • The cheapest flight costs €143 and takes 58h 50 min with 3 stopovers in Palma de Majorca, Bordeaux and London Stanstead.
So yeah let's fly as much as we can and keep all these connections profitable or at least viable, especially for short distances - a win win for all, no doubt. 😶

Flights Mad-BIQ.jpg

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That, and is there any reason left to call it the Frances if you start somewhere in Spain?
Yes. Strictly speaking, the Camino Frances starts in Puente-la-Reina, thus in Spain.
It has been called "Frances" because it is the main route for pilgrims coming from France.
Indeed, at the beginning of the Camino, French knights were precious to help Spanish warriors agains the Moors.

The 'starting point' of the Camino is an odd one really .. the first pilgrims stepped out of their home and walked to Santiago .. eventually joining a common pilgrim 'road' with others, for protection in a dangerous and turbulent country ... now, with transport we can train or fly or ship to get onto Camino, but surely our Camino 'starting point' is where we join it?
If we ship to Bilbao then there we are, on the Norte .. if we fly to Pamplona well there we are, on the Frances at Pamplona ...
but now it seems to have fixed starting points .. St Jean, Le Puy, etc ... the truth being that the first physical step of our pilgrimage to Santiago is when we step out of our front door.

My first I was living in France and started at Moissac as it had a railway station so was easy to get to and it has always seemed odd to me that someone should arrive on Camino (say, airport Pamplona) then bus or taxi upstream on Camino so that they can then walk back.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The OP asked a question that seemed to be about transportation logistics.

🤣😅🤣😅😂

I disagree. The OP asked "why" (not how) - as in, why go onto Camino at Pamplona and then go 'back' to start further away when they could land in France and be in a downstream flow to and onto Camino - so surely it is their "why" that is relevant rather than transport logistics?

Quick thread summary:
  1. The first question (slightly rephrased) was this: Why do those who want to start in SJPP fly to Pamplona and go from Pamplona to SJPP, i.e. travel "back" to SJPP? Why do they not fly to Biarritz and take the train to SJPP?
This was quickly enriched by further questions as well as other musings. The further questions were:
  • Why start in SJPP?
  • Should you still call it French Camino when you don't start in France?
  • From where did @sugargypsy fly to Pamplona?
Note: Don't rush to reply to this post. Some questions have been answered in the previous 26 posts. 😇

A selection of Camino Jewellery
so surely it is their "why" that is relevant
True, but that same "why" question could be asked about any of many transport routings. The simple answer is that people almost always pick their routes on the basis on their understanding of connections, convenience, timing and cost.

If we are asking about motives for starting point, why not ask that more directly? As it is, we have answers about routing logistics and others about the history of the Camino Frances, and maybe soon about the meaning of life. "Why" questions can be like that!

I guess I have swallowed the bait.

Last edited:

I assess that it is easier to fly into Madrid, then connect to Pamplona, than to fly into Paris. That is how I would do it.

If you are traveling solely within Spain, then you probably want to try to stay on Iberia, for seamless connections.

This is especially true for those of us traveling to Spain from outside Europe.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I think that strictly speaking it's the way of the Franks, as France as we now know it did not exist until sometime after the camino began. What we now call France was then known as West Francia and was inhabited by people known as the Franks, originally a Germanic tribe who expanded south and westwards in the Middle Ages.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you were a local living in Spain would you call it the Spanish way?
Maybe you'll call it the way from France, or the french people's way.
In Spanish, el Camino Francés, the French Way, is what have sense .

Assume its about climbing the Pyrenees and suffering.
In addition to what have been mentioned, e.g., it's a "French" way, its scenery beautifu. For me, it is to challenge myself, physically and mentally. It also gives me bragging right ;-)

Because Pamplona is easy to reach, especially from the US and then there is a noon bus to take pilgeams to sjpdp.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.

If it’s good enough for Martin Sheen, it’s good enough for me.

There used to be a nonstop flight Madrid to Biarritz which I could piggyback onto my frequent flyer flight from USA for no extra charge. It landed Biarritz about 1100. I could be in SJPP by 1300 and trek right to Roncesvalles. No brainer.

Now I piggyback a nonstop to Pamplona and share a taxi to SJPP. Easy 2.5 hour stroll to Valcarlos Albergue, and it’s never full.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Lavacolla to Santiago de Compostela: 8.8 miles, 14.1 Km* * longer than expected because of trying to find the Monte do Gozo statues in the fog. Well, I did it! I walked EVERY SINGLE STEP from St...
I walked from Navarrete to Nájera on 27 June this year. I got to the Albergue Najerino about 3 o'clock and went to look around the Monastery of Santa María la Real. My last photo there was taken...
Outside of cafe on route to Portamarin. Location: A Parrocha. personal phone number removed. Please send private message to claim.
Bon jour! Hola! Hello! Having recently passed through the CdS French route from Orisson to Ronconsavalles, I was deeply disappointed to see a huge mass of trash on this sacred way. I am...
I just finished my journey from SJPP to Santiago yesterday, what a great experience! Started 22 Aug, and was hoping to continue on to Fisterra, but with bad weather in the forecast for the next...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back