• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which side of the road to walk on?

Bedspring

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
In the UK if walking on a road with pavement, the general advice would be to walk on the right, facing oncoming traffic, so I assumed in Spain, on the left, but there does not seem to be a consensus on the Camino.
Does spain have a highway code that gives advice?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is no consensus on the Camino because pilgrims do whatever they want. The convention is to always walk facing oncoming traffic and not to jump until you can see the whites of the driver's eyes
That's a strange reply, you say one thing, then immediately contradict it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In the UK if walking on a road with pavement, the general advice would be to walk on the right, facing oncoming traffic, so I assumed in Spain, on the left, but there does not seem to be a consensus on the Camino.
I agree with your logic, @Bedspring. When walking in Spain, it's mostly wise to walk on the left hand side, facing oncoming traffic.

There is no consensus on the Camino because pilgrims do whatever they want.
That's true too - perhaps because many pilgrims aren't regular walkers in their home countries.

It always takes me a while to adjust to the 'different side of the road' thing. The other important bit is to look 'left, right and left' when crossing the road. Simple stuff but easy to forget when you're tired.

I assume you mean without pavement. In which case you’re correct, facing the traffic. Where safe to do so ! Sometimes on a blind curve there’s no room, so you have to swap over.
Let your common sense prevail!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pedestrians walking on the road in urban areas must always walk on the left so that they can see oncoming vehicles, and other drivers can clearly see them. If people walk on the right-hand side, cars are approaching from behind, which makes it harder to spot any danger. The fine for non-compliance is 100 euros. Found at Murcia Today
If the left side let you no room to escape, it's clever to move to the other side.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
face the traffic if walking on the shoulder, for your safety. hopefully this will happen only occasionally as there is usually a path (on the left or right) for pilgrims, away from the cars.

Pedestrians walking on the road in urban areas must always walk on the left so that they can see oncoming vehicles, and other drivers can clearly see them. If people walk on the right-hand side, cars are approaching from behind, which makes it harder to spot any danger. The fine for non-compliance is 100 euros. Found at Murcia Today
If the left side let you no room to escape, it's clever to move to the other side.
In general, this is the rule. In practice, I tend to temper with a little common sense. A couple of examples:
If I am approaching a sharp, blind turn I will walk on whichever side makes me most visible to oncoming traffic. Sometimes this is the right side. I don't want to be a surprise to drivers as they barrel around the turn.

If I am joining a busy road from the right and will be leaving it from the right shortly, I may decide the risks of crossing the busy road twice without signals are greater than the risks of walking a short way on the right side.

(And we won't talk about any potential decisions on a rarely driven road on a hot sunny day when the available shade is on the right side.)

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
To cover all bases, I recommend walking on the underside of the road; this way you don't break any laws or offend any sensibilities. More preferable is to walk on air so as to not kill any insects, bugs, creepy crawlies, which is also life. I have done this on many occasions and have found it has worked out well. Chuck

Nuance, not contradiction. Consensus refers to an agreement reached within a group, convention implies a more widely held agreement, or even a time tested custom/tradition, and in this case, common sense. I remember coming onto a very busy road at one point with cars and trucks flying by and pilgrims on both sides. I crossed the road so I could keep an eye on approaching vehicles.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Last year on the Norte in the section after the popular albergue n Güemes there were pilgrims walking on both sides of the road seemingly oblivious to the fact that locals had to slow down a lot to get past. Finally, one driver yelled at those walking on the right side to get over to the left.
It's not just a safety issue for us who are walking, but a respect issues for the locals that we share the road with.

I would respectfully suggest to get yourself familiarized with @Tincatinker s posts. Perhaps after you get through 20-25 or so... 😉

Now that said I do not see anything contradictive in what he said. To slightly paraphrase- the prudent way would be to walk opposite the traffic (which for that matter is what I do when I walk regardless if onthe Camino or not). At the same Pilgrims will walk and do however and whatever they want (which is what most humans do Pilgrims or not on Camino or not)
I guess regardless of what we all say you are more than welcome to walk opposite the traffic or with it based on your own whim
In any case Good luck and Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Absolutely need to walk on the side facing the traffic. The Camino Frances route is mostly off road but there is a few areas where you share the road with cars and trucks. Very important to walk on the side where you are facing oncoming traffic as you can step to the side when need to. Also make sure you are not wearing headphones when walking on those roads. Stay safe and alert. As well and probably most important is on most routes there will be loads of cyclists (even on the walkers paths) and some tend to cycle very fast, so be alert. Just remember when one passes , another one isn't too far behind. Hope this helps. Buen Camino

I guess regardless of what we all say you are more than welcome to walk opposite the traffic or with it based on your own whim

Not if the Guardia Civil are around!
On the Via de la Plata my friend and I were walking on the right because it was the shady side. Guardia Civil came along and in no uncertain terms told us "Other side of the road"

Seriously, there is a correct side of the road to walk on, and that's facing traffic unless it's unsafe to do so.

Those walking according to their own whim can be a nuisance and danger to local motorists.

In general, this is the rule. In practice, I tend to temper with a little common sense. A couple of examples:
If I am approaching a sharp, blind turn I will walk on whichever side makes me most visible to oncoming traffic. Sometimes this is the right side. I don't want to be a surprise to drivers as they barrel around the turn.

If I am joining a busy road from the right and will be leaving it from the right shortly, I may decide the risks of crossing the busy road twice without signals are greater than the risks of walking a short way on the right side.

(And we won't talk about any potential decisions on a rarely driven road on a hot sunny day when the available shade is on the right side.)
Using common sense . . . That'll never catch on. Just waiting for someone to post a question on the Forum asking which sock to put on first . . . 🤣 (might even have already been asked) 😉

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I do not know if you are new here but that reply was completely @Tincatinker esque answer. Also as he said pilgrims walk every which way and I often wonder what planet they are from with some of the decisions I have heard over the years. Walking with traffic is a formula for pain, broken bones and much worse.
It is common sense to walk facing traffic. It really is very simple.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On the Via de la Plata my friend and I were walking on the right because it was the shady side. Guardia Civil came along and in no uncertain terms told us "Other side of the road" (in Spanish of course).
We complied, and once they were gone we crossed back to the shady side.
Wish they would have made a round trip.

Perfect advice

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nothing to add, but an anecdote not included before:
I was walking on the left side of a country earth road, with the wind blowing from the right, and with perfect visibility in any direction. A truck came from behind me, and the driver stopped to tell me "if you walk on the other side you will breath less dust"

Any Guardia Civil will tell you it is best to walk on the left, facing traffic. Of course in some mountain roads with scary drop offs this might be less advisable.

We were told in no uncertain terms by a local in Portugal! Walk so you are facing the oncoming traffic!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Common sense is a strange thing, one person's common sense is another person's stupidity.

Common sense, to me suggests, all other things being equal, walk facing traffic, and my observation would suggest more than 50% of pilgrims have no common sense.
And the quote from The Murcia seems to answer my OP question about if there is an actual directive.
Oddly in Vietnam the consensus is to walk away from the traffic, which seems mad to me, but it's what they do.

Common sense is a strange thing, one person's common sense is another person's stupidity.

Common sense, to me suggests, all other things being equal, walk facing traffic, and my observation would suggest more than 50% of pilgrims have no common sense.
And the quote from The Murcia seems to answer my OP question about if there is an actual directive.
Oddly in Vietnam the consensus is to walk away from the traffic, which seems mad to me, but it's what they do.
You can replace "common sense" with "good judgement". Which also may not be universally present. I added my contribution to the topic because, in my experience, all other things are not always equal. And people who just learn a rule and follow it without thinking further don't necessarily pay attention to that.

You can replace "common sense" with "good judgement". Which also may not be universally present. I added my contribution to the topic because, in my experience, all other things are not always equal. And people who just learn a rule and follow it without thinking further don't necessarily pay attention to that.
I suppose some people would say setting out on 800km walk, is poor judgement.

Anyway, I have reached Santiago safely, thanks for all the advice.

Most read last week in this forum

Has anyone tried refusing disposable sheets in albergues? (Or thought about it?) Eucalyptus isn't native to Spain and growing eucalyptus requires a lot of water and wrecks the soil for indigenous...
Hi all, probably a question with many different answers, but here goes. I've done several Caminos, but always ones that feature a cafe every now and then ( think Frances, Portuguese, Ingles etc)...
As I walked today, I came across a Wild Boar that had been, shot, gutted and hind quarters removed. It seemed a shame it was left there right on the Camino as I am sure it would disturb some...
Has anyone had experiences with private accommodations canceling reservations? I'm fresh off the Camino Ingles. I stayed at public albergues the whole trip, except for the last two nights in...
I much prefer ordering agua del grifo (tap water) both to save money and plastic, and everything else that goes into the production and delivery of bottled water. The last couple of nights in...
Fellow pilgrims. As an avid walker of various Caminos, I am always fascinated in the experiences of other pilgrims/tourists, and how their planning and experience on pilgrimage was shaped. As an...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back